PDA

View Full Version : Dyed my hair bright red and loving it!

Soraine
April 11th, 2013, 03:35 AM
A month ago, I dyed my hair a bright ariel red. I realised lately that I am loving how hairstyles look on me now. For once I can actually see braid details! This has inspired me to do up my hair more and in lovely hairstyles that I previously wanted to do but can never get to look good on my naturally jet black hair.

Though I am a little sad that my hair has been a bit dryer than before due to the bleach, I do not regret dying it. I have more motivation to stretch washes, seeing as I can do 4-5 days now when before I was washing everyday! I would gladly give up a bit of moisture and baby my hair than be disappointed every time I try a new hairstyle and not be happy with my hair.

My hair even looks longer now that it's so bright, and I'm getting lots of compliments on my hair which feels amazingly good :D Today my hair was up in a braided bun and my friends and a lovely sweet lady at the bus stop said it was gorgeous (even though I was on day 5 of not washing)!

Have any of you lovely people felt this way?

faellen
April 11th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Pic please! :D I love bright red hair, my hair was this colour for a long time years ago (Special Effects Candy Apple Red)

Just baby your hair and it will be fine, oils and cones helped make my dry ends shiny after bleach (if you're not cone free). And when it's time to do the roots, bleach the roots only instead of the rest of the hair. What dye did you use?
I'm glad you are happier with your hair :)

Soraine
April 11th, 2013, 04:23 AM
I used special effects blood red mixed with a bit of left over manic panic vampire red, diluted in conditioner. I had it done at the salon so they put a permanent red over it for the first go, but I am definitely doing roots only from now on. I will try to get some pics on, but I'm not quite sure how to scale it down cause I tried placing some pics of the bun I did today in my albums but it was hugeee!

P.S: How was the candy apple red? Was it a bright blue/pink based red? Blood red is a bit dark for me so I have been thinking of getting a more neon red from SFX.

Soraine
April 11th, 2013, 05:21 AM
I figured it out! Here are the pics! It looks a bit darker here cause of my bathroom lighting but its blazing red in sunlight lol.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3714&d=1365678522
I'm so happy I'm clearly at tailbone now <3

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3712&d=1365678356
This is the braided 3 section bun, a slight variation of LaDollyVita33's (Siobhan) Top Knot Bun. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv3DH-0dMUM&list=FLYtMofGJWb9JSUMimz8ApXQ&index=4 She's awesome at hairstyles!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3713&d=1365678519
Just a closer look :)

Manzanilla
April 11th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Your hair is amazing :agape:

mzBANGBANG
April 11th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Stunning! I would love to have this color if I wasn't such a commitment phobic! Looks wonderful

MaryMarx
April 11th, 2013, 05:43 AM
You lucky woman! It's beautiful. :D

browneyedsusan
April 11th, 2013, 05:44 AM
:thud:

It's fabulous!

Soraine
April 11th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Stunning! I would love to have this color if I wasn't such a commitment phobic! Looks wonderful

Your hair is amazing :agape:

Thank you lovely ladies :)

mzBANGBANG & Manzanilla, your hair colours are gorgeous! I wish I could go that blonde; the highest level I can go without significant damage is around a lvl 6-7.. which is a light copper orange.

door72067
April 11th, 2013, 05:55 AM
wow! gorgeous!

kitekats
April 11th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Awesome:), the braids really do stand out very pretty, but won't it be too hard to maintain the roots, if you have to bleach and dye your hair from black?

longNred
April 11th, 2013, 06:47 AM
it sure IS fabulous! beautiful braided bun and lovely rich color!

Micayla47
April 11th, 2013, 07:53 AM
it's beautiful! stunning color and length.

faellen
April 11th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I used special effects blood red mixed with a bit of left over manic panic vampire red, diluted in conditioner. I had it done at the salon so they put a permanent red over it for the first go, but I am definitely doing roots only from now on. I will try to get some pics on, but I'm not quite sure how to scale it down cause I tried placing some pics of the bun I did today in my albums but it was hugeee!

P.S: How was the candy apple red? Was it a bright blue/pink based red? Blood red is a bit dark for me so I have been thinking of getting a more neon red from SFX.

Thanks for posting the pics, your hair looks gorgeous, that red is beautiful!

I really liked the SFX candy apple red, it is indeed more blue/pink based. Here is a pic (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/madamedysmorphic/hair/cred1.jpg) on my shorter hair way back in the day :)

Accalia
April 11th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Wow beautiful indeed! :D

Soraine
April 11th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for posting the pics, your hair looks gorgeous, that red is beautiful!

I really liked the SFX candy apple red, it is indeed more blue/pink based. Here is a pic (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/madamedysmorphic/hair/cred1.jpg) on my shorter hair way back in the day :)

That is such a beautiful colour! I might try that one out or devilish when I finish up the blood red.

Awesome:), the braids really do stand out very pretty, but won't it be too hard to maintain the roots, if you have to bleach and dye your hair from black?

My plan is to get my roots done at the hair dresser's (just the bleach bath) and then dye over it with SFX myself. It just seems too much of a pain to do the bleaching on my own. It doesn't seem too difficult but I haven't gotten into the maintaining bit yet so I don't know if that will work out. It seems pretty easy since putting on SFX overnight is like a moisture treatment for my hair :D

And thank you all, I feel overwhelmed by all the positive responses and compliments <3

aet2009
April 14th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Oh I am so tempted to dye my hair this color....have been for months! I just don't know if I wanna risk the damage

marykatz
April 14th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Wow very pretty!

HylianGirl
April 14th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Wow, it's beautiful!

lapushka
April 14th, 2013, 06:02 PM
It's amazing! :D :thumbsup:

Soraine
April 29th, 2013, 08:46 AM
So, an update on how touch ups went:

I let my roots grow in about 2 inches and had them bleached at the salon. My HD was great enough to use only 10vol developer on my roots and they went a nice duck yellow. Coconut oil application before hand and the low developer bleach meant that my roots had hardly any damage. I'm pretty surprised how fast it went yellow, it was only on for around 25-30 mins. But my HD did say that I had fine hair, though I'm not sure I agree. I think it's just because my natural hair colour has an ashy-yellow base (I can tell when the sun shines on it; it shimmer a yellowy ash tone) which probably means I transition from orange to yellow pretty quickly. So, I'm pretty happy with that :)

I was quite amused at having to walk home with duck yellow roots transitioning from pink to red lol. I thought it looked pretty cool, actually.

I then did a round of cassia treatment with gelatin and fenugreek mixed in... I suppose the general idea was that I was trying to give myself a protein treatment haha.

The first round I tried to cover it with special effects blood red mixed with vampire red( diluted in condish). Didn't work out so well and my roots went a brighter red than the rest. I think it's probably cause there wasn't a permanent colour put over it this time... it was just bleach. I also had used elumen on my hair before so it contributed to a slightly pinky undertone that was missing from my roots. It was also slightly blotchy from my hair being wet during application and over-diluting the dye with already watered down condish which was the only thing I had on hand.

So, in the second round, I bought a tub of manic panic new rose (It's a new colour from MP...its a lovely pinky magenta red? Such a pretty colour! ) and mixed it with blood red + vampire red. This time I used it on dry hair; undiluted on all my roots and bright spots and then added silicone free condish to the left overs. I used that on the rest of my hair length.

I have just gotten out of the shower after having that on my head for about 4 hours and the colour seems pretty even. I will have to wait till it's completely dry but I'm pretty sure that the hot roots problem has been solved!

I also tried a new condish from tresemme ( moisture rich ) and my hair feels extra extra soft and nice after using it to CO and using the naturals condish right after. My hair seems to like protein and silicone now, but only once in a while.

I will check back again to confirm that my hot roots are gone once my hair is dry, but overall I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. :D

jacqueline101
April 29th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Wow that's stunning.

AnnaB
April 29th, 2013, 03:54 PM
wow your hair is amazing! LOVE the red!

Falcore
April 29th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Your colour is incredible! I love it. :)

bo-peep
April 29th, 2013, 07:42 PM
I wish I had the guts to do something like dye my hair bright red (or any color for that matter)! The color looks amazing on you - way to go!

Rosetta
April 30th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Have any of you lovely people felt this way?

I for one have always loved dyeing my hair, be it chemical dyes or henna :)
I've come to realize it's futile for me to try to grow natural, as noble as it many make it seem, as I always come back to dyeing sooner or later, I just can't resist it!
Life without dyes is not worth living to me ;)
So yes, I definitely know what you're talking about! And of course, your red hair is gorgeous :)