PDA

View Full Version : Men with long hair... why?

daredevil14
April 11th, 2013, 12:06 AM
I think that this could be a good idea to discuss since the general public always question us (men with long hair) about the reasons why we're growing our hair. Some understand, others want to know why, some say that this is a "fashion" or a "trend" and we're going to cut it as soon as we "had enough" from it. Regardless from their words, tell me your reasons and how do you usually answer when being asked such questions.

For me, wearing my hair long was always a passion ever since I was like 14-15, I didn't have a "mature" reason back then but after finally being able to grow it from extremely-short in 2010 to somewhere between shoulder-length and arm-pit length (so far), I am quite satisfied with my reasons and Hence, disappointed (positively) many people who always told me that: "dudeee, you're so gonna cut it soon!".

My reasons:

*Being a huge heavy metal fan since 2004 and other underground music such as ambient music, neofolk and neoclassical music, I am also a guitarist and a songwriter.

*Having a wide field of interests ranging from poetry (I write myself), philosophy, cultures, languages all the way to psychology, para-psychology, literature, history and geography.

*My long hair reflects my ideology in leading a humble life as I believe that we should go against the modern trend and the one-way development of the society and return back to nature by fighting materialism and encouraging values.

etc...

And then, a fool comes once and a while and tell me that you will cut it soon because of boredom! I really don't feel like explaining anymore, I just tell them the short answer: part of my personality. (And sometimes in extreme cases: YES A TREND! LOL!)

Looking forward to hear your thoughts. :D

kdaniels8811
April 11th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Because it is hot! I love long hair on guys.

Fethenwen
April 11th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Looking forward to seeing more replies from other guys who are here on LHC :popcorn:

I agree that long hair on guys is hot. I find it both esthetically appealing, rebellious and manly.

MaryMarx
April 11th, 2013, 05:38 AM
I agree with previous writers. :o

browneyedsusan
April 11th, 2013, 05:49 AM
I love long hair on men. --Even long-haired balding men!--
But then again, I love bald men, mustachioed men, bearded men.
I'm a girl. I like men in general. :)

As to the cutting it when you're "bored". What kind of crazy logic is that? Even though manly options are limited, you've still got more styling flexibility with long hair than with a short haircut that you're stuck with every stinking day! (I wore 1" long hair for a while, and if I hadn't colored the dickens out of it, would have been bored out of my mind!)

As a woman, the pixie was "different" than most women, and I liked that. As a man with long hair, you're facing a whole different level of "different". Society isn't kind to long-haired men. It stinks, but there it is. You're going to get questions and "looks". Brace for impact. :)

WaitingSoLong
April 11th, 2013, 05:59 AM

LOL! You crack me up!

Waiting to hear more replies from the guys....

KittyBird
April 11th, 2013, 06:53 AM

I wholeheartedly agree! :cool:

I'm also looking forward to reading the replies from the guys..

auburntressed
April 11th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Even if it is "just" a fashion or a trend, I don't see why that should make your choice to wear long hair any less valid than any other reason.

pinchbeck
April 11th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I have suggested to men with beautiful locks to grow them longer as hair is an adornment whether a person is male or female.

Kiwiwi
April 11th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Hmm. Because you like it. Seems enough for me.

Why I want long(er) hair? Because I like it.
Why do I wear red lipstick? Because I like it.
Why do I eat bananas? Because I like it.
Why do I watch this movie? Because I like it.

Super simple to me.
And when people tell me what I will eventually in their opinion do with that long hair, red lipstick, banana, movie, I just say "We'll see. The future is open". I really don't care about their suposed ability to look in the future.

Long Hair Don't Care!
:cool:

Peter
April 11th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Originally grew it out because I was really into metal music, but then I just got attached to it. I really started to like doing braids and being different. :)

Kaelee
April 11th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I really don't think you need a reason! It's also None of Their Business. You don't have to explain yourself to the world. Just be you. :agree:

Oh, and long hair on guys is awesome!

Shadow Walker
April 11th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I have long hair for several reasons. First off, I'm a metalhead that performs in a band, so it kind of goes with the territory. But the most important reason for me is that I just plain like it. I like the way it looks and how it feels to have long hair, and even though it's a lot more work that the buzzcut I used to sport, I enjoy it a lot more. Granted, it makes dating where I like a heck of a lot harder since long haired men don't seem to be as desirable as short haired men, but I can get past that because I like it and would never cut it for anyone. The longer it gets the better I seem to feel about myself, so the confidence boost of having really long hair certainly makes life more enjoyable for me.

spidermom
April 11th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Why not?

I crave the sight of long hair on men. My husband keeps his hair shorter than an inch at the longest ......... sigh.

faellen
April 11th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I'm not a man, but three of my ex boyfriends all had long hair, due to their association with the alternative lifestyle and metal music. As far as I know, two of them have since had haircuts - one due to joining the army, and the other due to the onset of male pattern baldness.

My partner says he had very long hair when he was younger, he said it attracted women (lol) but ironically cut it all off when someone mistook him for a woman.

SGBSteve
April 11th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I simply say that long hair was one of those things I wanted to try out at least once in my life. I don't want to go through my entire life without ever having it once.

And now that I'm growing it out it turns out I really like it. I like how it looks I like how it feels and I like all the different things that I can do with it.

So I'm gonna keep growing it out. Until someday when I feel like doing something else. Then I will do that.

Simple as that.

bte
April 11th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I agree that men don't have to justify their choices (neither do women, for that matter), but for me, having long hair was always something I wanted to do. I was denied the choice at school (by the school and my parents) and then by my parents when I went to college, so was only able to have the hair I wanted later on after I had left home. Unfortunately, I never achieved my original goal of knee length, but I haven't cut or trimmed since 1994 and have enough hair for a worthwhile ponytail, which I am happy with. I like being me and I don't mind being different from Mr Average (and he is dead boring).

WaitingSoLong
April 11th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Why not?

I crave the sight of long hair on men. My husband keeps his hair shorter than an inch at the longest ......... sigh.

My husband, too, but he would look awful with long hair. He is sexiest with his buzz cut ;)

Growing up in the 80's, I think I will always be attracted to long hair on men. Not the men, just their hair LOL. Of course men don't tease their hair anymore (at least not in my part of the world).

Still, I am wondering why it would be a turn-off? Unless they are stereo-typing. Hmm.

yoni
April 11th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I just love having long hair, and wanted it since I was little :D

and even though I'm at waist/belt/*novbotheredatthemomenttocheck*, I really want it to be longer and longer :D

Gumball
April 11th, 2013, 01:28 PM
When I saw someone with their hair up somewhat intricately a long time ago (I was little and a three strand braid was intricate then!), I thought it looked awesome and wanted to be able to do that myself. When I finally got the confidence to grow my hair out, I jumped in head first. :D I haven't looked back.

AnthonyB93
April 11th, 2013, 03:15 PM
As a guy I grow my hair out for the general reason that I love it. Though, on the spiritual side it reminds me of how far I've come in life and it reminds me of my faith. In saying that I have to remind myself to not idolize my hair and stray from my faith.
....and it helps that I find it attractive on other guys. :)

jtl45
April 11th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I have had my hair all lengths over the years. I got my first haircut when I was 5. After that, i took turns growing it and cutting it short. I have always enjoyed my hair long and when I hit my late teens I decided to grow my hair just past my waist where I keep it at today. Love all kinds of music, so can't attribute to metal. I work at keeping it in great shape and perhaps someday I may cut it short, bur not anytime soon!
Jim :)

trolleypup
April 11th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Hmm. Because you like it. Seems enough for me.
This is what it comes down to.

I may dress it up a bit for someone's curiosity, but "I like long hair on myself and others" is the bottom line.

Now that I have long hair, there are other things I like...side benefits like positive attention, being different and distinctive, etc.

vindo
April 11th, 2013, 04:30 PM
My husband grew it because he liked how it looked and I guess you can say he was inspired by Metal.
He cut it short now though because he was not quite happy about a few things. Not sure if he will grow it out again, I think for now he is more focused on his health.

EdG
April 11th, 2013, 05:50 PM
I have long hair because hair is supposed to be long. Why else would it grow long? :ponder:
Ed

Beatnik Guy
April 11th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I really don't think you need a reason! It's also None of Their Business. You don't have to explain yourself to the world. Just be you. :agree:
This. :D

There isn't a reason and it doesn't matter whether anyone approves. :cool:

spirals
April 11th, 2013, 10:51 PM
I like Ed's answer the best!

truepeacenik
April 11th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I have long hair because hair is supposed to be long. Why else would it grow long? :ponder:
Ed

Sooo...when are you starting on he worlds longest nails? :D

My son has long hair because he was raised by hippies (kind of like being raised by wolves), got into metal, and is generally into things that are a bit different.
He gets a fair amount of positive female attention, and some negative homophobic crap.
He's cut. Missed it, grew back.
Has moments when he wants to look like Danny from Eyefear.

Now, he's had this hair most of his life. At 21, he's staying with it.

MaryO
April 12th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Sooooo, I'm going to be the only one here who says that I don't like men with long hair! shudder:

I think for me personally I've never met a guy with long hair who took really good care of it and I sort of feel uncomfortable with a man who takes longer to get ready than I do. I didn't say my reasoning is anything solid but this is just my opinion! (Probably brainwashing...)

My husband had short of SL hair when we met and shortly after he started shaving his head and now shaves every day to keep it "skin length". And I think he looks very handsome that way.

Of course my opinion shouldn't be taken personally! It's your hair- do with it as you wish! :-D (Hope no offence was caused!)

spirals
April 12th, 2013, 03:29 AM
I must say some men look gorgeous with skin-length hair. I like that term, skin-length.

Lunadriael
April 12th, 2013, 05:06 AM
I really hate very short hair on men, but hey, that's just my opinion. I love long hair on men and women as long as it's clean. I find it really sexy. Again just an opinion. Just because my aesthetic preference is for longer hair does not mean I can't care about someone with short hair, or that I should make anyone feel bad about his or her choice to keep it that way. My boyfriend keeps cutting his hair 'too short' in my opinion, but it's his hair and he can do what he likes with it, whatever makes him feel best. When his hair gets 'too long' he starts putting gel in it and says he feels untidy and embarrassed at work. So if he's happier with it shorter, it's not my place to dictate what he does. (Like he would listen anyway). Also, I would never feel a right to be rude to someone about how they chose to keep their hair. The one time I might say something is if I thought someone wasn't taking care of themselves properly and maybe needed help.

Hair doesn't alter who you are or your ability to do things in most cases, so I don't see why someone should have to explain their choice. 'I like it this way and I feel good about myself,' is reason enough. I think most people with an issue haven't really thought things through, or are quite intolerant without any form of proper rationalisation.

EdG
April 12th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Sooo...when are you starting on he worlds longest nails? :D
I tell myself "it's supposed to be long" whenever the lawn needs mowing. :D

My son has long hair because he was raised by hippies (kind of like being raised by wolves), got into metal, and is generally into things that are a bit different.
He gets a fair amount of positive female attention, and some negative homophobic crap.
He's cut. Missed it, grew back.
Has moments when he wants to look like Danny from Eyefear.

Now, he's had this hair most of his life. At 21, he's staying with it.You raised him right. :thumbsup:
Ed

masterhoots
April 12th, 2013, 06:01 AM
I personally like the weight on my head and the feel of my hair on my shoulders. I especially enjoy the length of my hair while riding a bike or a motorcycle. It feels good having the wind tug against my hair. Laying in a pool allowing my hair to float feels good.

It just feels damn good to have long hair!

SGBSteve
April 14th, 2013, 03:09 AM
Exactly. It's a whole new type of sensation that men with short hair will never experience unless they try it for themselves.

bo-peep
April 14th, 2013, 06:48 AM
It always bothers me when people feel they have the right to question your choices. I saw a bumper sticker once that said it all for me, "If only closed minds came with closed mouths." No one asks me (I'm female) why I grow my hair long; why should men be any different? Because you like it is enough - and that should be plainly obvious by the fact that you HAVE long hair.

humble_knight
April 14th, 2013, 07:01 AM
If only closed minds came with closed mouths.

Love this! :D

We react favourably if someone compliments us on our clothing choices, or make-up, or anything else that is deemed positive. If, however, someone says something we perceive as critical, we become defensive and some may respond with a snarky comment. I've had people tell me my hair was rubbish, that I was too fat plus other criticisms. I learned, finally, to close them down by replying : "Ok". I would then look them up and down making sure they knew I was doing it and say nothing, just smile.

When I realise my dream of having my own armour, I may choose to forgo the "ok" and smack them up side the head with a hefty shield :)

bo-peep
April 14th, 2013, 07:09 AM
When I realise my dream of having my own armour, I may choose to forgo the "ok" and smack them up side the head with a hefty shield :)

I think getting older is giving me the armour you mentioned... The older I get, the more likely I am to tell someone how I really feel about their unsolicited comments!

EdG
April 14th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Exactly. It's a whole new type of sensation that men with short hair will never experience unless they try it for themselves.I like to think "One has not experienced life fully until one has felt one's hair brushing one's calves". :meditate:
Ed

Vijikanth
April 14th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Nice thread. 11th April 2013 I reach 3 years of uncut long hair.. :)
I always was attached to long hair. And few roles(especially Aragorn from Lord of Rings) was an inspiration. I liked the shaggy, rough look. I dint expect I would go this far. Now I just am afraid to cut my hair. I feel its very natural to have long hair. My family and friends have accepted it. And am receiving good support from people who initially suggested I looked better with short hair.

Dutchesse
April 14th, 2013, 02:16 PM
This thread reminds me of a song, I Saw A Hippie Girl on 8th Avenue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkUJc-p2uc
You don't have to defend why you like having long hair, no matter who you are. But it's really nice to see everyone's different reasons for wanting it :)

jacqueline101
April 14th, 2013, 02:48 PM
My man has long hair and is bald on top I think it's cute. His hair is shoulder length.

SGBSteve
April 14th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Awesome video Duchesse. I like how the guy kinda talk-sings.

I haven't had many people really ask me why I'm growing it. I think they can all figure that out for themselves. Most people I've talked to have commented positively on my hair getting longer. Though it's not quite to my shoulders yet.

But yeah. I got sick of the clean cut military look. I like being more wild and shaggy looking.

spirals
April 14th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Steve, I think you have a good face for long hair.

SGBSteve
April 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks Spirals! :o

Edit: I was thinking about this earlier today. Whenever I saw a man with long hair (real or animated) in a movie/tv show/video game/whatever. That man always had a "larger than life" sort of look to him. Especially if he was a hero or a villain - Thor would be a perfect example of this.

And since I've been growing mine out I've been noticing it on myself too. I feel a little more larger than I used to be. It makes sense, there's more hair around you so there's more of you to be seen.

browneyedsusan
April 15th, 2013, 11:36 AM
My man has long hair and is bald on top I think it's cute. His hair is shoulder length.

I love that!

spirals
April 15th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I feel a little more larger than I used to be. It makes sense, there's more hair around you so there's more of you to be seen.
Funny--I wear long hair to feel less large. :lol:

SGBSteve
April 15th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Well I was a pretty scrawny kid growing up. It wasn't until after high school that I finally started to bulk up a little bit.

I can see hair working in your case too though.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 15th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks Spirals! :o

Edit: I was thinking about this earlier today. Whenever I saw a man with long hair (real or animated) in a movie/tv show/video game/whatever. That man always had a "larger than life" sort of look to him. Especially if he was a hero or a villain - Thor would be a perfect example of this.

And since I've been growing mine out I've been noticing it on myself too. I feel a little more larger than I used to be. It makes sense, there's more hair around you so there's more of you to be seen.

Steve, it would give you more "presence". :)

SGBSteve
April 15th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Yeah, that's a good word for it!

kyle_f
May 19th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Grew mine long initially as a challenge to prove a point to a friend (a good natured challenge though). Decided I actually liked it and kept it because I think it's fun. I enjoy the reactions from people who were taken by surprise when they hadn't seen me in a while and being a bit unique, but mainly it is fun.

queenovnight
May 20th, 2014, 06:25 AM
People seem to always point out (and ask) about my bf's hair. He usually responds with "Because it grows there." He believes that it's natural. - And I agree.

Ocelan
May 20th, 2014, 08:56 AM
I really like men with long hair too! I guess it kind of comes with the metal territory too and I really like that I get to be around so much long-haired guys when spending time in the metal community, but I've in fact always liked men with long hair. I can't remember a time when I didn't so I suppose it was built in. I do love skin-length (great term!) hair too. I find both ways very hot. Preferably with a beard too, or beard with a moustache. Moustache alone then again... not so much. I don't know what's the matter there, but it just doesn't work for me as much as the other options.

I'm glad there are so many men who don't care about some people's close minded opinions and enjoy their hair long. I also feel like everyone is naturally supposed to have long hair as long as it grows long, but since we live in a world of choices, anyone can choose whatever they like the best and go with it. I won't judge anyone with any length hair. I may get attracted to some certain length, but in the end it is none of my business with anyone does with their appearance.

I always secretly admire all the beautiful male (and female also) heads of hair in LHC! :)

DweamGoiL
May 20th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Not a fan, BUT I do feel strongly that anyone should not be made to justify their choices as far as their appearance. The way you choose to look on the outside is a form of self expression and no one should feel that they are not as entitled as anyone else to this form of self empowerment.

MadeiraD
May 20th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I think Hubby's reason's are:
He's a gothy type dude, long hair goes with the territory
His hair grows REALLY fast, he'd have to go to the barber once a week if it were short
His hair sticks up funny when it's short
He likes how he looks better with long hair
His wave pattern looks better longer
and because it makes his wife VERY happy

kitana97
May 20th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I like how alot of the guys' reasons for growing their hair out seem to be like most of the womens'. They like the look and the feel of their hair on their body. There's nothing quite like feeling your hair skim across your back or arms.

I personally love long hair on men. It is one the most attractive physical features on a man to me. Hair is so beautiful and has been a source of pride in both sexes for centuries - so why not grow it long. Long hair on men can manly, rough, and primal or it can be sleek and beautiful...what's not to like.

elvenelk
February 16th, 2015, 08:53 PM
feels good. easy to style :cool:

jpitt
February 17th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Wanted to try something new. Plus short hair can be boring since you look the same all the time. As its gotten longer I really like the fact I can change things up from time to time.

gthlvrmx
February 17th, 2015, 03:23 PM
My first reason to grow my hair long was because I got an urge in elementary school to grow it long. I saw the image in my mind of someone with long hair to the ground and I KNEW I wanted that on me. So that's basically why I'm growing my hair out. Long hair is definitely one of my favorite things since I was little :P

MagicalMystery
February 17th, 2015, 03:25 PM
It's amazing the enormous prejudice in the work force against long haired men. My husband wears his on the long side, and it seems nobody will take him seriously in his field of expertise. I've always had a thing for long hair on a man. I just think it's sexy.

CurlyCap
February 17th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Why not?

Men grow hair just like women. The only difference is most societies expect women to learn a lot about hair care.

I've met SOOO many men with gorgeous hair and wished they would grow it out....just for my visual enjoyment. I saw if a guy can handle being socially different and unique, grow it if you want to!

hennalonghair
February 17th, 2015, 10:00 PM
I like guys with long hair who wear man buns. Those things are so sexy.

Alien Girl
February 18th, 2015, 03:24 AM
My boyfriend had elbow length hair when I started dating him. It's about armpit length now though because he's been taking good care of it since I've been with him and he let me chop it ;) hehe.

My boyfriend is half native, so obviously there is a cultural aspect to him having his long hair. His grandfather and father has had long hair in the past. Boyfriend had long hair when he was around 9-11, then cut it into a silly emo haircut from 12-13, but started growing it long again all throughout high school.

He is also a metal musician and guitarist, so that's another reason I guess :P

He said he would only cut his hair if he went to prison or if there was a zombie apocalypse :D His length goal is elbow length. He said he wouldn't grow it longer than that.

calmyogi
February 18th, 2015, 03:49 AM
I like long hair on men. I read a story once about how native men would lose their tracking and intuitive capabilities when they went into the military and they believed it was because they chopped off their long hair. Hair is an extension of a person, it's part of them.

thebacontree
February 18th, 2015, 04:25 AM
Well, my first and probably biggest reason is cause i listen to metal, and well... i like having long hair ( This should be the reason fer everyone i guess XD)
For a second reason, it just pisses people off and i like pissing narrow-minded people off :D

Grond
February 18th, 2015, 06:13 AM
The simple answer is just because, the truth is complicated.
after years of caring for my hair I will not part with it lightly.

horribleatnames
February 18th, 2015, 06:34 AM
Because I want to. And long hair is awesome :)

gwenalyn
February 18th, 2015, 02:33 PM
It's great to hear why the men on LHC like their hair long! I feel bad that a bunch of us ladies have swarmed in to say how much we like it though. Seems like it isn't why this thread was started. Maybe we could move our comments to this thread?: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129468

MagicalMystery
February 18th, 2015, 02:39 PM
It's great to hear why the men on LHC like their hair long! I feel bad that a bunch of us ladies have swarmed in to say how much we like it though. Seems like it isn't why this thread was started. Maybe we could move our comments to this thread?: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129468

The title might be a tad misleading. If someone reads the title and gets to the last page, they don't necessarily know it's targeted at men. That's what happened in my case anyhow. :)

BeardyGuy
February 18th, 2015, 04:58 PM
As a guy here, mostly a lurker for awhile, I thought I'd say Hi here. Hi! :)

Last June I buzzed all my hair down to 1/4" out of frustration after trying to grow it. One super slight trim 2 months later at the ears and neck. No trimming since then. And I am having fun growing my hair! 42 years old and I've never had hair before that wasn't the regular short guy hair. Why am I doing it? Because why not! I'm calling it my "mid life crisis project". It sure is cheaper than a sports car. I only have to buy more shampoo. ;)

I'm still not anywhere near what you would call long hair around here. But I plan on sticking with it. My goal is to go to a year(other than that slight trim) before I go back to the stylist for an even-ing out of the ends. My hair is gray(hello 42!) and courser than I'd prefer. But it is *my* hair. And I've not known it before. I would say every 2 weeks or so it changes. As in it lays differently etc. With no trimming it just changes all the time. A little wavy, no curly. And I'm enjoying this process more than my previous attempts. And it feels like I'm in it for the long haul.

I will say one thing. Some days I can't wait until I can tie it back! As much as I like it I just want it back sometimes. I do have a headband I'll wear at home, but I'm not going out like that. Haha. Awkward middle stage!

I've enjoyed reading the forums (thanks to them I went sulfate free and virtually eliminated my psoriasis problems!) so I thought it was time to say Hi.

AZDesertRose
February 18th, 2015, 06:42 PM
I like long hair on almost anybody, so long as they take good care of it. Split ends are not pretty on anybody, but long healthy hair can be super sexy on men or women.

There was a guy I went to high school with (lo these 20-some years ago) who had absolutely gorgeous long light brown hair. He was kind of a jerk as a person, but I had a mad crush on his lovely hair. :)

Honestly, I agree with a lot of people in this thread. Your hair is your own to do with as you please. If you like it, the rest of the world can just go jump in a lake.

Todd
February 18th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Long hair? I wouldn't have it any other way.

MINAKO
February 18th, 2015, 07:50 PM
do men need reasons other than that it esthetically pleases them just like it does for women?
no they dont!

Parisian Dozen
February 18th, 2015, 10:36 PM
It's kinda weird, I never remember having short hair to begin with. I've always had long hair, even when no one in my family ever did. Like, even in my preschool days I had pretty long hair (my teacher would beg me to cut it).

It kinda sucks when everyone just assumes I'm a pot head/sells drugs, or that the only music I've ever listened to has screaming Vikings from Finland (only half of that is true).

I mean, it'd be a whole lot simpler to have short hair; and hell, maybe some girl would finally be attracted to me, but it just wouldn't feel right if it was short... It's like the only thing I don't completely hate about me at the time being (though, we have had our quarrels).

gwenalyn
February 18th, 2015, 11:02 PM
The title might be a tad misleading. If someone reads the title and gets to the last page, they don't necessarily know it's targeted at men. That's what happened in my case anyhow. :)

Thanks for the explanation!

Elizabeth E
May 11th, 2018, 10:08 AM
As I always say...why not?
I've never really thought strangely of men with long hair and since I've gotten into metal music, I started loving it a whole lot more! It's kind of obvious why people attracted to this genre of music prefer to keep their hair long - it's no fun to try and headbang with short hair!
And the greatest reason for me is because it is natural. Whenever I see a man with long hair, I feel like that is how he's meant to look and not the stereotyped version of society's standards.

cjk
May 11th, 2018, 10:24 AM
I've always had beautiful hair but it's always been coiffed. Grew up with a pompadour, a businessman's taper, a carved flattop and even shaved into a bonehead.

I noticed some loss of density on the top so I figure this is the best time to do it. Grow it while I can.

The thinning may never progress. Or maybe it will. But to have regrets over something so trivial as never growing out my hair seems...idiotic.

Most issues folks have with long hair center around grooming, not the actual length. I definitely know how to groom.

EdG
May 11th, 2018, 11:46 AM
And the greatest reason for me is because it is natural. Whenever I see a man with long hair, I feel like that is how he's meant to look and not the stereotyped version of society's standards.

I've always had beautiful hair but it's always been coiffed.

Your reasons are pretty much the same as in my post from 2013.

Ed

I don't know how short hair ever became the norm. It is like the world is upside-down and we are the only people who realize it. :ponder:
Ed

cjk
May 11th, 2018, 12:11 PM
I don't know how short hair ever became the norm. It is like the world is upside-down and we are the only people who realize it. :ponder:
Ed

Hair and beard length are heavily influenced by fashion, and have gained and lost popularity through the centuries. We are still living in "the 20th century," in terms of fashion trends. By that I mean, specifically, men's civilian fashions influenced by the military in WWI. And the rise of an urban and corporate culture that values homogeneity.

It's largely the fault of the Germans, for using mustard gas that mandated gas masks.

Guitargod
May 11th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Metal and probably also rebellion when I was a teen. Now it's just part of who I am I guess?
I also prefer long hair on women, although they can definitely look pretty with all hairstyles including bald.

Glitch
May 11th, 2018, 02:32 PM
I live somewhere super conservative and don't think I've ever seen a guy in person with long hair, at least, shoulder length and beyond. Even ~shoulder length hair here on guys isn't 'accepted' as a norm. I myself would bother my brother when he was growing his out, especially since I didn't want others to think badly of him. I'm proud that I've opened up my mind so much over the years, meeting all kinds of people and just being a much more open person. I don't think anyone needs a true reason to grow their hair out. "Just because" is good enough, and should be good enough :) Who cares what people think. Nobody can ever please everyone anyway. Looking back, I'm glad my brother did whatever the heck he wanted with his hair, regardless of differing opinions. Plus, it looked much better than mine ever has! ;)

guska
May 11th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Don't know when the trend started, but the boys at my school and in my area generally all have pretty long hair. Some chin length, shoulder length. Their hair is curly, thick and shiny. It's prettier than 90% of girls' hair that I've seen. Wonder if they use conditioner ;)

egcmi
May 11th, 2018, 03:25 PM
i'm glad that this thread came up. i agree with those who say that they're attracted to long-haired men. i mean, it's beautiful, you can wear it however you want plus it looks super manly imo. both my current boyfriend and my ex have long hair. my ex mainly because he's in the metal scene, also i think he looks way better with his hair long than short. we probably would never have met if it weren't for his hair. as far as my current boyfriend concerns, i will ask him to write a reply for this thread and get back to you later. boyfriends with long hair are awesome: i have yet another way to annoy them! i can play with their hair, braid it, do french braids, milkmaid braids, fishtail braids, elven braids... :lol:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 11th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Don't know when the trend started, but the boys at my school and in my area generally all have pretty long hair. Some chin length, shoulder length. Their hair is curly, thick and shiny. It's prettier than 90% of girls' hair that I've seen. Wonder if they use conditioner ;)

They probably don't use damaging bleach, dyes and heat tools on it.

Undomesticated
May 12th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Hair and beard length are heavily influenced by fashion, and have gained and lost popularity through the centuries. We are still living in "the 20th century," in terms of fashion trends. By that I mean, specifically, men's civilian fashions influenced by the military in WWI. And the rise of an urban and corporate culture that values homogeneity.

It's largely the fault of the Germans, for using mustard gas that mandated gas masks.
Indeed the biggest influence on the normalization of short hair in our modern society was WW1 and WW2 but let us not forget the everlasting impact of the Roman empire on our modern society with such doctrine of long hair bringing disgrace to men.

Why grow out? Not only is long hair naturally the way man is supposed to be, it is believed to carry power in most cultures and serves as a connection to the Earth, ancestors and so on. That's how scalping came initially into significance in American warfare, scalping the enemy cut his connection to the ____ Earth, spirit world or Creator depending on who you ask. The same thing in other parts of the world.

EdG
May 12th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Indeed the biggest influence on the normalization of short hair in our modern society was WW1 and WW2 but let us not forget the everlasting impact of the Roman empire on our modern society with such doctrine of long hair bringing disgrace to men.I too blame the Romans.

Welcome to the board! :)
Ed

GrowlingCupcake
May 13th, 2018, 09:32 AM
My partner has long hair - his longest was classic, and he currently has about mid-back. His reason is simple: He doesn't have to do anything to it; it just grows out the back of his head. It is hassle free.

And for him, it truly is largely hassle free. He has thick, soft, silky 2b to about 3b hair - it's been awhile since I've seen it air dried, and paid attention to it. But it's definitely wavy-curly. And he does nothing to it. He keeps it in a bun most of the time, just tied with an cloth wrapped elastic, washes it every now and then, brushes it every now and then. And it's just gorgeous hair. It's largely genetic; his mother has amazing hair, too. Given how good it looks, and given that maintaining a shorter haircut would require more time, and effort, he sees no reason to bother with cutting it other than a trim every now, and then.

He is Native American so it's easier for him to get away with it, though he looks 'white' so it is not always obvious. My relatives - from an entirely different country, and culture - find it odd.

Also, I am totally jumping on the long hair on men is attractive thing.

njrb
May 13th, 2018, 10:38 AM
When I started out growing I would say these were the biggest reasons:
- I had wanted to grow it since I was pretty young and just never had. It just appealed to me.
- I've also always liked experiencing new things and long hair is one with a bunch of interesting things to experience along the way.

Now that it is long I would add these as reasons to keep it:
- I enjoy the variety both of appearance and also how it just changes all the time with growth or movement.
- It is a real investment and I've grown attached to it.
- I also enjoy standing out from the crowd a bit because of it.

iforgotmylogin
May 13th, 2018, 09:22 PM
My hair is long because

1. I stopped getting free buzzcuts
2. I can make it look neat and tidy everyday, just brush it for a minute and tie it up
3. People like it when I let it out

As a teen, #3 was the main motivation, as an adult it became #1 and #2 with (I'll admit) #3 being a welcome benefit

My Dad is pretty conservative and always tells me to cut if I need to set a good impression (looking for job/flat in particular), and often pressures my mother into saying the same thing, only to be contradicted by everyone else and even my mother when Dad isn't around or in a phase of pressuring her

Edit: Additionally, now that I'm going grey noticeably around the face, when I let it out I look younger. I am thirty-something, but when I tie it straight back some have estimated me to be as old as 50 lol

cjk
May 13th, 2018, 09:38 PM
My Dad is pretty conservative and always tells me to cut if I need to set a good impression (looking for job/flat in particular), and often pressures my mother into saying the same thing, only to be contradicted by everyone else and even my mother when Dad isn't around or in a phase of pressuring her

I am small with an almost feminine build. And have to remind myself to keep my styles masculine.

My mother, possibly as conservative as your dad and maybe even more, saw my hair in double French braids and said how neat it looks and that it looks nice. Trust me, high praise.

My dad never saw me with long hair before he died. But of all things he picked on, my hair was never on his list. I also came out after he died, in hindsight I regret not doing it before.

iforgotmylogin
May 13th, 2018, 11:19 PM
I remember when you joined homie and the length it was then, must be getting long now

egcmi
May 21st, 2018, 09:56 AM
i'm glad that this thread came up. i agree with those who say that they're attracted to long-haired men. i mean, it's beautiful, you can wear it however you want plus it looks super manly imo. both my current boyfriend and my ex have long hair. my ex mainly because he's in the metal scene, also i think he looks way better with his hair long than short. we probably would never have met if it weren't for his hair. as far as my current boyfriend concerns, i will ask him to write a reply for this thread and get back to you later. boyfriends with long hair are awesome: i have yet another way to annoy them! i can play with their hair, braid it, do french braids, milkmaid braids, fishtail braids, elven braids... :lol:

as promised, my boyfriend's reply to this thread:

the idea of growing my hair came up when i was ~14, mainly because of music, because i was influenced by the looks of rock/metal bands i was listening to at the time. i did it mainly because of looks than ideology, just i liked myself better with long hair. when i was in high school i used to be bothered by my peers saying i'd cut it eventually. fortunately this thing has stopped when high school was over. however if somebody tells/told me i'd get bored and cut it i just reply that i will if that happens but for the time being i'm happy with my hair long, i've had it for 10 years now and never took cutting it into consideration. as Kiwiwi said a couple years ago i have it because i like it.

he has waist-length hair btw.

Rustam
June 2nd, 2018, 06:43 PM
When longer hair became a bit of a fashion trend for guys a few years back I decided I wanted to give it a try since I had never had it long. I found I really liked it long. I like the look and I enjoy taking care of it most of the time, though it is more work compared to keeping it short.

Aredhel
June 2nd, 2018, 06:51 PM
My fiance does it for fashion (he's a metalhead) and because he associates long hair with warriors from ancient times... basically because it's manly (also, "because it's badass and I can swing it around"). :lol: He hates short hair because he thinks it's generic, boring, and a sign of servitude (he told me that slaves in the past had their hair cut off for this reason).

Alun
June 3rd, 2018, 08:23 PM
I grew it to shoulder length when I was 15. Back then, that was the fashion. Later, at age 23, a girl (a housemate, not a GF) pointed out that it was only long by male standards, and I took that as a challenge, so I grew it out much longer. The rest is history.

I would add that, growing up in England when I did, there was no 'clean-cut' stereotype associated with ultra-short hair, only a neo-Nazi, soccer hooligan stereotype. In the unlikely event I had ever decided to cut it short after I grew it out, which I never did, the likelihood of getting a crew cut was always less than zero. This is why I have extreme difficulty in understanding how any Englishmen my age decided to follow the shaved head trend of the 90s. I would never have done that even if I was losing my hair, which most of them were.

I have always had hair that was both fine and thin, which is exactly the type they tell you to never grow out. However, I never let that influence me. With increasing age it has no doubt got thinner, but not to the extent I need worry about possible baldness, even though I am now a sexagenarian (sexy old person, LOL!). BTW, my pic was taken in my 40s, and no doubt looks better than any current photo would.

daisy rei
June 4th, 2018, 08:48 PM
I personally love long hair on men, on anyone!

But I'm curious about guys who grow their hair out when they're younger and then start to experience thinning and baldness - what do you do then?

In my city, I've seen a lot of older hippies that can't let go of the ponytail, and the result has been some pretty hideous "bullets", but I don't know, maybe there are some men who can making balding + long hair work.

EdG
June 4th, 2018, 10:22 PM
I personally love long hair on men, on anyone!

But I'm curious about guys who grow their hair out when they're younger and then start to experience thinning and baldness - what do you do then?

In my city, I've seen a lot of older hippies that can't let go of the ponytail, and the result is some pretty hideous "bullets", but I don't know, maybe there are some men who can making balding + long hair work.They join the LHC of course. ;)

I am aware of two LHC'ers who have baldness and long hair.

The thing to recognize is that the baldness will be there no matter what one does with the remaining hair. So, might as well grow it long.

Hair styles are very subjective. I think that any long hair is an improvement over the typical short men's hair style.
Ed

Wendyp
June 5th, 2018, 05:53 AM
My husband is a retired fire fighter and for years he had to have short hair. To him it means freedom and that he doesn’t have to meet regulations anymore. Plus it looks cool lol

Elizabeth E
June 5th, 2018, 07:36 AM
My fiance does it for fashion (he's a metalhead) and because he associates long hair with warriors from ancient times... basically because it's manly (also, "because it's badass and I can swing it around"). :lol: He hates short hair because he thinks it's generic, boring, and a sign of servitude (he told me that slaves in the past had their hair cut off for this reason).

Those are all very good reasons, he is definitely a keeper!

EdG
June 5th, 2018, 08:18 AM
My husband is a retired fire fighter and for years he had to have short hair. To him it means freedom and that he doesn’t have to meet regulations anymore. Plus it looks cool lolKudos for him! :hifive:

There is an LHC member who is a firefighter. As I recall, she explained that the regulations prohibit exposed hair, which meant that long hair is okay provided that it can fit under a firefighter's helmet. This should apply to men as well. :)
Ed

FennFire911
June 5th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Kudos for him! :hifive:

There is an LHC member who is a firefighter. As I recall, she explained that the regulations prohibit exposed hair, which meant that long hair is okay provided that it can fit under a firefighter's helmet. This should apply to men as well. :)
Ed

All departments are different. The department my husband is on only requires hair to be kept off of the uniform collar. One of the guys in his house has long hair that he puts up in a bun then puts his baseball cap on over.
I texted my ex today to ask about the 2 departments he's on, including the one I used to volunteer on before I moved. On the one I vollied for, and the one before that even, women's hair just had to not interfere with job duties or be a safety danger. Having my hair braided or in a ponytail was totally acceptable.
Facial hair is extremely limited. The face mask has to form a perfect seal, and it can't do that over a beard.

The exposure rules include all body parts. Not one inch of skin nor hair can be exposed in full turnout gear. The trickiest part of this is the neck and face, which does end up getting covered by a hood that basically fits like a sock over your head with an opening just big enough for your face mask. But if you're not careful you can end up with parts of your face still exposed.
My problem would have been if I were to take a position on the department my husband is on that requires off the collar hair is that anything which bundles my hair up off my collar would likely be too clunky to fit under the helmet.

So, long hair on men. I'm ambivalent. I'm neither attracted to it nor is it a turn off.
My dad was in the military until I was 16, so growing up there was a very defined set of rules of what men are "supposed" to do with their hair. As I've gotten older obviously I know that people don't have to conform to such a strict standard, and that long hair doesn't negate masculinity. Long hair isn't "for women," short hair isn't "for men."
I'm not specifically attracted to men with long hair, but I wouldn't be turned off by it either.

For the people who still believe men *shouldn't* have long hair and are vocal in their criticism, the phrase "I bet you wouldn't have said that to a Viking" usually does the trick.

EdG
June 5th, 2018, 04:11 PM
FennFire911 - thanks for the explanation and kudos for being a long-haired firefighter! :hifive:
Ed

Begemot
May 29th, 2019, 02:45 AM
Resurrecting this thread since I don't think my comment needs its own thread :) Saw this news article about a man that has beautiful long hair. Some people have reacted badly to him, some would call him names and apparently someone even tried to cut his hair?? He keeps his hair long because he likes it, that's it. It really is gorgeous, I'm jealous! :D
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/male-rapunzel-who-grew-hair-16190852

Wusel
May 29th, 2019, 06:20 AM
I love long hair on older, very masculine men. Especially when it starts greying. Depending on the looks I would say, anything above 30-35... Younger men SOMETIMES (NOT ALWAYS, depending on the looks, how masculine they are etc.) look too feminine to me. An older or very masculine man (or a firefighter :D) can rock a looong mane for me. But that's just my personal opinion.

Elizabeth E
May 29th, 2019, 07:09 AM
Resurrecting this thread since I don't think my comment needs its own thread :) Saw this news article about a man that has beautiful long hair. Some people have reacted badly to him, some would call him names and apparently someone even tried to cut his hair?? He keeps his hair long because he likes it, that's it. It really is gorgeous, I'm jealous! :D
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/male-rapunzel-who-grew-hair-16190852

It annoys me so much when people mock men with long hair. Shows just how brainwashed the majority of society is - it's not like the ability to grow long, beautiful hair is exclusive to women!
His hair looks gorgeous, by the way :thud:

EdG
May 29th, 2019, 08:03 AM
The article is more a statement of how far off from its natural state is the typical man's appearance.

I am looking forward to a news article which says "Short-haired men realize that they have been duped. Men world-wide say goodbye to hair cuts!" ;)
Ed

cjk
May 29th, 2019, 08:41 AM
Much more likely to see "Long haired men have poo on their heads!" A pseudo-scientific study paid for by Gillette and Wahl.

EdG
May 29th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Much more likely to see "Long haired men have poo on their heads!" A pseudo-scientific study paid for by Gillette and Wahl. That is sadly more likely to happen. :rollin:
Ed

Begemot
May 29th, 2019, 11:42 AM
It annoys me so much when people mock men with long hair. Shows just how brainwashed the majority of society is - it's not like the ability to grow long, beautiful hair is exclusive to women!
His hair looks gorgeous, by the way :thud:

Exactly! Luckily we have this community where we can admire long hair and hopefully the world will eventually grow more tolerant :)

hinabelle
May 29th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Guy hair is just so awesome when done well. It's just rarer to see done well than in women,
since men are typically discouraged from "preening" or otherwise focusing too much on their looks.
Typically men are also more 'function' oriented, like my SO who tried growing his hair long but found
he hated it getting in the way (and suffering through the too-short-but-too-long phase is the worst
for ANYONE growing hair out).

My SO has gorgeous hair that he lets me cut, but my technique keeps getting worse instead of better.
I'm going to have to do more research on how best to style and cut short hair.

desisparkles
May 29th, 2019, 04:26 PM
my boys have always had longer hair and they are quite often referred to as girls - and they've yet to go past shoulder. I imagine once they get there (if they decide to) that will def increase. It's silly.

There was a little boy (6 years old) who wore his hair in a braid every single day and the braid reached mid back but he dressed very boy. I never referred to him as he or she - bc honestly I didn't know and I didn't want to assume. It wasn't that hard to avoid it until I was sure.

This year I saw him at 7 years old and it was cut very short - It looks great on him but I immed thought, I hope he only cut it bc he wanted to and not bc of others' opinions and comments.

Neoma
May 29th, 2019, 05:11 PM
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/male-rapunzel-who-grew-hair-16190852OMG, his hair is gorgeous! So healthy... And the color! :thud:

Ligeia Noire
May 29th, 2019, 06:46 PM
I would say why not?
In his case his hair is just stunning.
I bet older users here are familiar with hairfreaky long hair? Check is Facebook page. He is way past floor now.
My favourite man's mane is still Stylist38, you can't beat that mane. A shame he removed his videos due to insults and such.

Taliesin
May 29th, 2019, 10:33 PM
My reasons aren't all that dissimilar from the women here, to be honest.

Jo Ann
May 30th, 2019, 12:16 AM
Why not? :thumbsup:

illicitlizard
June 1st, 2019, 02:58 AM
Why not indeed! Long hair is great on people of any gender

Hexen
June 1st, 2019, 04:25 AM
Initially It was heavy metal for me too. :D

And when I say 'initially', I mean quite awhile ago. Like about 36 years ago. Around the age of 9 lol. And I probably owe it all to my older sister (a decade my senior) for introducing me to "Quiet Riot" haha. I mean I still liked Culture Club and all that new wave stuff. But "*** on Feel The Noize" sent me into a frenzy every time. And It was a 'few' years later that I realized that it was just a cover of that which the band 'Slade' belted out originally. And of which version I now actually prefer.

But this was before my parents would actually let me grow my hair. But twas the catalyst that sparked the fire which would turn out to become my eternal flame.

And from what i was exposed to at that time, and saw, it was something that the majority of men did not have. And that made me want it even more.

Then came school. Junior, and High. And I would be lying if I said a few of the girls didnt like it. :) And it should come as no surprise that such a factor did not contribute to my desire to cut it.

And from there, I could go into a number of cultural, ideological, and even physiological reasons as to why I keep my hair at a lengthy state.

But thats pretty much how it all started. :rockerdud:

...and that's why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu_ozjAu_vM

JackintheBox
June 1st, 2019, 05:30 AM
My reasons aren't all that dissimilar from the women here, to be honest.
Ditto. I like how it looks, how it feels, being able to put it up when needed, etc.

EdG
June 1st, 2019, 05:51 AM
Hexen - I too credit the Heavy Metal bands of the late 1980s for making men's long hair part of the (then) popular culture. 1989 was the year that I started growing my hair on a permanent basis.

My influences go back a bit further to the hippy era. One of my earliest childhood memories was that cool people had long hair. Uncool people had short hair or no hair. The evidence was Cher and Elmer Fudd. ;)

I tried to grow my hair when I was in college in the early 1980s, but I always eventually had to go home. :(
Ed

Lady Stardust
June 1st, 2019, 06:10 AM

And when I say 'initially', I mean quite awhile ago. Like about 36 years ago. Around the age of 9 lol. And I probably owe it all to my older sister (a decade my senior) for introducing me to "Quiet Riot" haha. I mean I still liked Culture Club and all that new wave stuff. But "*** on Feel The Noize" sent me into a frenzy every time. And It was a 'few' years later that I realized that it was just a cover of that which the band 'Slade' belted out originally. And of which version I now actually prefer.

But this was before my parents would actually let me grow my hair. But twas the catalyst that sparked the fire which would turn out to become my eternal flame.

And from what i was exposed to at that time, and saw, it was something that the majority of men did not have. And that made me want it even more.

Then came school. Junior, and High. And I would be lying if I said a few of the girls didnt like it. :) And it should come as no surprise that such a factor did not contribute to my desire to cut it.

And from there, I could go into a number of cultural, ideological, and even physiological reasons as to why I keep my hair at a lengthy state.

...and that's why

Oh, Slade, great band! I love that Noddy Holder was indirectly an influence on you growing your hair.

Hexen
June 1st, 2019, 07:53 AM
Hexen - I too credit the Heavy Metal bands of the late 1980s for making men's long hair part of the (then) popular culture. 1989 was the year that I started growing my hair on a permanent basis.

My influences go back a bit further to the hippy era. One of my earliest childhood memories was that cool people had long hair. Uncool people had short hair or no hair. The evidence was Cher and Elmer Fudd. ;)

I tried to grow my hair when I was in college in the early 1980s, but I always eventually had to go home. :(
Ed

I knew I liked you Edg.

A down to Earth Fella that knows what stepping foot into the outer reaches actually means. I guess I need not even go into my appreciation and respect of the hippy era. But I will say that in the intervening years ive taken up certain reigns and stepped into the rocket that blasted me into outer space. Or, at least somewhere else.

But Cher, well if she can turn back time, that is pretty much the definition of cool. Fudd on the other hand, dont be hesitant to stick your finger into the barrel of his gun. It WILL backfire.. and peel away into a bunch of curely cues. It never fails. And then, the beat goes on. Thanks Edg :)

Oh, Slade, great band! I love that Noddy Holder was indirectly an influence on you growing your hair.

And absolutely Lady ★dust. You could say that it was an indirect influence in the past to grow. And in some ways, I can say that it has become a direct motivation in the present to maintain :)

Neoma
June 1st, 2019, 09:38 AM
EdG and Hexen, I love all the culture allusions.

One of the most gorgeous manes I've ever seen was at a pagan festival here in NYC a number of years ago. A very handsome young man had classic length brunette hair that would have put a Pantene commercial to shame.

LongHairCalif
June 1st, 2019, 10:01 AM
Anyone who wants long hair should grow their hair long. I actually started talking about long hair on my YouTube channel a few years ago because I received hateful comment from women when my hair was a lot short, about midback length. I can see how societal pressures might lead some people to cut their hair. Now that my hair is just a few inches above my knees, I have actually had people in real life tell me how pretty it is. So if you enjoy having long hair and do not mind maintaining it, then if should not matter whether you are a man or woman.

Alun
June 2nd, 2019, 07:30 PM

...and that's why

The irony is that originally Slade were skinheads and grew their hair to make the record company happy. The bass player, Dave, never did, but wore a wig instead. There is video of him without the wig, but all of it filmed outside the UK, presumably because he wasn't allowed to appear in the UK with short hair!

OTOH, it's only in the record business that this could happen. Sadly, in most businesses the pressure is in the other direction, but mostly you don't find out, you just don't get the job. As I posted above, when I started out almost everyone had at least shoulder length hair and thought it was long, and I have always been as stubborn as a mule, so cutting was always out of the question.

Iyashikei
March 7th, 2020, 02:33 PM
For me it started with having a boy with hair that was close to shoulder lenght in the same class as me. When I managed to grow it out it didn't look good on me though. In fact I looked rather unkempt so I cut it off. A few years later I wanted long hair because I was really into metal and wanted to look the part too. The only reason I didn't grow it out was because my entire family complained about me wanting long hair. Back then I had those sideswept bangs that Justin Bieber had too and people already thought that was too long for me. I eventually cut that short again because I grew tired of that style, grew it back and cut it short again because I looked bad with it and didn't want to do job interviews with awkward stage hair.

Now, after three years of unemployment, I decided to finally grow it out and keep it in a way that actually looks good on me. The reason this time is that I want to have really long hair at least once before I start balding. This usually isn't a problem in my family as both my grandparents still had all their hair in their 70's and my father still has all his hair without even one grey hair but I could always be the exception to the rule. Lots of guys start balding in their mid-thirties. I'm 27, so by the time I get to that point my hair would have probably reached its goal length.

cjk
March 7th, 2020, 02:50 PM
At the most fundamental level, my answer is extremely simple. I want to!

And that really is the only answer needed.

if I want to go into more detail, including justifications and so forth, I certainly can. I'm 49 years old. I've never had long hair at any age in my life. For the first forty years I had the same hairstyle, a medium-length business men's taper which, when swept-back, due to my texture appeared as a pompadour.

And frankly I have beautiful hair.

So why not?

More people ask me why I have a big beard. And the honest answer is the same. Because I want to.

Keep it simple.

MeAndTheMaz
March 7th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Being a product of the 70s, it was kind of The Thing To Do. And besides, I like long hair. Duh. I mean. That's why I'm here, after all.

I haven't read this whole thread, but why would a man have to justify long hair any more than a woman? I guess that's a bit of a rhetorical question, but still.

ZoeZ
March 8th, 2020, 06:08 AM
I have seen a few men who looked stunning with long hair. I do think that if you love long hair, why not grow it!
I do think that men who grow their hair tend to be the ones who take pride in it (with the odd exceptions) and consequently do choose styles that complement their faces just as women do, and so look good.

Personally, I don't like long hair on MY man - I love the feel of short hair - but that's purely a personality quirk, and doesn't stop me from admiring long well-kept hair, on men or women.

And no, you don't have to justify your choices at all, any more than women do.

Cheers.

Lizabeth94
March 9th, 2020, 08:15 PM
I love long hair on guys, especially when accompanied by a beard. I wish I could get my hubby to grow his. :cool:

cjk
March 9th, 2020, 08:23 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dTuJvGY.jpg

Why not?

dyna
March 9th, 2020, 10:50 PM
Long because it amuses me. I grew my hair long when I was in my early 20s, and cut it when I got snarled up in bed. 50 years later, I don't get snarled up (no idea why, maybe if it gets longer than BSL it'll snarl). And wearing barrettes or scrunchies is fun (I wouldn't have dared do that in 1969). Occasionally someone will compliment me on my hair (usually an old lady, but I'm an old man so that fits). Why not? Not everything works out (I'm not willing to put a lot of effort into hair, and I'm giving my scrunchies with sequins to my GF cuz they're "not me") but so far this does. And why should hair length be sex linked, anyhow?

iforgotmylogin
March 10th, 2020, 11:39 AM
I cut mine off a few weeks ago. It hit elbow (the pointy part when you raise forearms) twice in the last years, and I had been growing it for about 4.75 years with a lot of cuts, mainly layering and later bangs

I did because although I was comfortable how I was, and I didn't want to cut it to impress potential employers and others in authority, I was worried that perhaps it put my peers off somehow. A thought that occurred when I went to dance lessons (something I never actually wanted to do because I am very uncoordinated), and a lovely girl would always offer to sacrifice some of her practice time to regress and dance with me. I thought maybe more people would treat me so kindly if I didn't look like such a rebel

Well, nobody treats me different

I regret it and so intend to grow it straight back. I can put a positive spin on it and lie to myself I will take better care of it this time xD

BraidedBunch
March 10th, 2020, 12:18 PM
Being a product of the 70s, it was kind of The Thing To Do. And besides, I like long hair. Duh. I mean. That's why I'm here, after all.

I haven't read this whole thread, but why would a man have to justify long hair any more than a woman? I guess that's a bit of a rhetorical question, but still.

I'm not a guy but I can safely speak for my best friend who keeps his hair at shoulder and longer, and formerly waist and longer. He feels the same way as you do, Maz. It's the era, the vibe, the rock and roll scene, and the fact that he plain old likes it. I asked him why and that was his answer, so yeah.

zashin66
March 11th, 2020, 03:38 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dTuJvGY.jpg

Why not?

Cjk did you cut your hair?????

Please tell me this is an old pic.

cjk
March 11th, 2020, 04:11 PM
Cjk did you cut your hair?????

Please tell me this is an old pic.

It's an old picture, about 4 years.

When I say I grew out from razor shaved, I'm not speaking metaphorically.

zashin66
March 12th, 2020, 05:48 AM
You're hair has grown a lot since your shave. Did you know that you would have the waves you rock now when you started?

cjk
March 12th, 2020, 08:14 AM
You're hair has grown a lot since your shave. Did you know that you would have the waves you rock now when you started?

My canopy layer is only wavy. And in relative terms is the straightest hair on my head.

All my previous hairstyles, business man's taper, pompadour, even flat top were all short back and sides. Often rocking fully shaved sides, whitewalls.

I've never had longer hair on the back or sides.

I knew the waves were present on top. But just loose waves. The ringlet curls underneath are a complete shock.

oldrocker
March 12th, 2020, 05:08 PM
Hi,

Newly back here....but if I may intrude.......

As a musician, it fits the profile. But(without reading this whole thread), hopefully the ladies don't have a monopoly on wanting long hair.

This brings up a couple questions, if I may? I know there is a short hair growing out thread, but as I am just starting over, is there a more specialised thread for guys starting over, especially for this early 'what do I do with it now?' stage. I have some Coconut based 'curl holder', but as I am new to using 'product', didn't know if there was a place for us to learn properly.

2) Are there any musician threads here? I've used the search function in the past, but it seems to dump you in the middle of threads, not at the beginning.

thanks in advance,
OR

Iyashikei
March 12th, 2020, 09:21 PM
Hi,

Newly back here....but if I may intrude.......

As a musician, it fits the profile. But(without reading this whole thread), hopefully the ladies don't have a monopoly on wanting long hair.

This brings up a couple questions, if I may? I know there is a short hair growing out thread, but as I am just starting over, is there a more specialised thread for guys starting over, especially for this early 'what do I do with it now?' stage. I have some Coconut based 'curl holder', but as I am new to using 'product', didn't know if there was a place for us to learn properly.

2) Are there any musician threads here? I've used the search function in the past, but it seems to dump you in the middle of threads, not at the beginning.

thanks in advance,
OR

Welcome

Don't worry, this forum is full of men. I'm in the same situation as you right now. I can't seem to do anything to my hair. The only difference is that my hair only curls where it falls on my glasses.

The only thing you really can do is to have patience. There are lots of men who slick their hair back as it grows but at that length it just looks tacky as you still have that part at the back. Just wear hats if you're too conscious about it and hope your hair grows fast.

I haven't actually found any musician threads here. Maybe if you really want one you can start your own? I just don't know which category it would fit in.

dyna
March 13th, 2020, 12:31 AM
I dunno musician threads, though there are certainly some male musicians who post. Me, I'm an amateur. Oldtime and klezmer, not metal, and my hair length doesn't have any relevance to music. Just my personal taste.

iforgotmylogin
March 13th, 2020, 04:16 AM
I used to get asked if I was a singer all the time. lol

oldrocker
March 13th, 2020, 06:34 AM
ha, that's funny....guess the rest of us 'support/rhythm section' can't have long hair.....lol

O.R.

Iyashikei
March 13th, 2020, 09:48 AM
ha, that's funny....guess the rest of us 'support/rhythm section' can't have long hair.....lol

O.R.

Tell that to Kami from Malice Mizer and his classic length. Pretty handsome guy too.

iforgotmylogin
March 13th, 2020, 05:27 PM

O.R.

Nah it's the first thing that follows when I tell people I like to sing in Japanese

'Oh, you're a singer?'

No more than the next person

oldrocker
March 13th, 2020, 05:40 PM
thought I made my comment with enough tongue in cheek.... in fact, I think the 'supporting' cast in bands usually has longer hair than the singers....but that is why I started singing in addition to playing bass.....have to fix that opinion....lol hopefully get to 25 posts....I actually did have what I would call long hair at one time.....wish I still had the old color....ha ha.... will have to rock mostly grey in the future, eh????

O.R.

iforgotmylogin
March 13th, 2020, 05:51 PM
You DID make it enough tongue in cheek. I just wanted to show how quick people were to jump on the first mention of any musicality :>

oldrocker
March 13th, 2020, 07:20 PM
ok...cool...just wanted to make sure I wasn't too subtle....which is usually not something I'm accused of.... go big or go home, right?

O.R.

Alun
March 14th, 2020, 01:33 AM
I used to sing in a band called Toke. The previous singer was very active in the Campaign to Legalise Marijuana. Gosh, I wonder how they picked the band name, LOL!

oldrocker
March 14th, 2020, 01:43 AM
A play on the name of Alice B Toklas? perhaps??? ha ha

O.R.

iforgotmylogin
March 14th, 2020, 01:48 AM
It's a Romanisation of the Japanese word for clock, just without the macron, of course!

EdG
March 14th, 2020, 11:40 AM
I suspect that most rockers are old. Radio stations are playing the same old rock songs as though the 1980s had never ended. It is no wonder that hip hop has surpassed rock as the most popular type of music in the U.S. (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-music-2017/hip-hop-and-rb-surpass-rock-as-biggest-u-s-music-genre-idUSKBN1ET258)

My theory is that rock is losing a battle of economics: hip-hop can be made by one person, whereas rock requires a four person band. This is the same reason why rock became popular in the first place - it required far fewer musicians than big-band music.
Ed

Iyashikei
March 14th, 2020, 02:49 PM
I suspect that most rockers are old. Radio stations are playing the same old rock songs as though the 1980s had never ended. It is no wonder that hip hop has surpassed rock as the most popular type of music in the U.S. (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-music-2017/hip-hop-and-rb-surpass-rock-as-biggest-u-s-music-genre-idUSKBN1ET258)

My theory is that rock is losing a battle of economics: hip-hop can be made by one person, whereas rock requires a four person band. This is the same reason why rock became popular in the first place - it required far fewer musicians than big-band music.
Ed

Rock loses on innovation. People who like rock ask for the same old stuff they heard twenty years ago and the acts that are actually doing interesting stuff like for example Zeal & Ardor either never get out of the underground or become one album wonders. Rockers are just stuck in the past. The reason why rock went out of the mainstream was because post-grunge was being milked for fifteen years already and people started associating modern rock with that entire movement despite post-hardcore, metalcore and deathcore being on their peaks back then and djent becoming a thing.

oldrocker
March 14th, 2020, 03:45 PM
well, at least here in the Midwest, Rock is still quite popular, enough to have multiple classic rock oriented radio stations, year round shows, plus there are tons of nightclubs/bars where the band is playing music from the 50s through the 2000s.

That's why I still play out. Fact have an audition for a new band a week from tomorrow. :)

There is still new rock coming out....it may not be the default music of the young any more, but it still has certain economic impact.

O.R.

cjk
March 14th, 2020, 04:20 PM
Hip hop, at least the milquetoast version commonly released, is formulaic and easily produced. It's the new version of boy bands, which were also formulaic and easily produced.

It always comes down to economics.

Talent, genius talent, is a surprisingly rare thing. And usually goes unappreciated in it's own time.

But then...you get Freddie!

EdG
March 14th, 2020, 06:39 PM
It is ironic that rock has become old people's music. I suppose that makes us officially old. ;)

To me, hip-hop sounds like a bunch of sounds that have been copy-pasted together because that is how it is made. :brickwall: Whenever I hear my neighbor's 20-somethings listening to hip-hop, I think "what is wrong with kids nowadays?" :rolleyes: History repeats itself. ;)
Ed

cjk
March 14th, 2020, 07:04 PM
It is ironic that rock has become old people's music. I suppose that makes us officially old. ;)

What's this us crap? I've been listening to jpop and kpop since before it became a thing in the states! Those kids are getting old if they're still listening to stuff in English.

Seriously though, there is an entire genre of YouTube videos called reaction videos. Look up hip hop head or metal head reacts to...and something classic. I would suggest Queen. Or Pink Floyd.

You'll be shocked. Their reactions as they actually hear music that's musical, is quite heartwarming.

It's like their eyes are opened for the first time.

EdG
March 14th, 2020, 07:27 PM
cjk - on the Youtube music videos that I watch, the commenters all remark about how good music used to be. This is 80s Hair Metal. :thud:

With three decades of hindsight, I say that the music was really good. :rockerdud:
Ed

cjk
March 14th, 2020, 07:42 PM
One of my favorite reaction videos is a hip hop head who listens to Queen and David Bowie, under pressure. Foul-mouthed, but wonderful reaction.

When people realize these are often live performances, and Freddy is really that good? It blows both their brain cells.

A number of them are hesitant to react to the live aid performances. A little be too long, oh no one will ever sit through it, and so forth.

Invariably the video ends with, what, wait, it's over?

Iyashikei
March 14th, 2020, 11:14 PM

To me, hip-hop sounds like a bunch of sounds that have been copy-pasted together because that is how it is made. :brickwall: Whenever I hear my neighbor's 20-somethings listening to hip-hop, I think "what is wrong with kids nowadays?" :rolleyes: History repeats itself. ;)
Ed

I'm only 27 and rock and metal are my main genres. But you're right on the audience for rock getting older.

What's this us crap? I've been listening to jpop and kpop since before it became a thing in the states! Those kids are getting old if they're still listening to stuff in English.

Seriously though, there is an entire genre of YouTube videos called reaction videos. Look up hip hop head or metal head reacts to...and something classic. I would suggest Queen. Or Pink Floyd.

You'll be shocked. Their reactions as they actually hear music that's musical, is quite heartwarming.

It's like their eyes are opened for the first time.

Same thing happens the other way around. Watch rockers react to xxxTentacion or Joji and you'll see what I mean. I'm actually quite sure you would be the same if you gave some of them an actual chance. Rap is not exactly my favorite genre either but when my brothers play it nothing sounds like it isn't music. It's just something the older generation doesn't understand because they never grew up with it.

oldrocker
March 14th, 2020, 11:57 PM
whoa guys, I hope I didn't cause a rift here. If you take a step back, I hope that there is no rift between the different people liking different kinds of music. It has always been this way. My major theme in all this is that music from hundreds of years ago through today, if it is 'real' music, is based on the same historical music themes, and that is based on the musical/chordal structure from ancient times. But, it is all based on that, unless it is copies without care for what has been in the past. Not going down the road about whether newer music respects that, but if you are a relatively true musician, you have to respect at least a minimal 'understanding'(dang, I hate to use that term) of musical theory.

again, I don't want to turn this thread into a thing it wasn't meant to be. and i'm sorry if it went there.

my apologies,
O.R.

Iyashikei
March 15th, 2020, 12:28 AM
whoa guys, I hope I didn't cause a rift here. If you take a step back, I hope that there is no rift between the different people liking different kinds of music. It has always been this way. My major theme in all this is that music from hundreds of years ago through today, if it is 'real' music, is based on the same historical music themes, and that is based on the musical/chordal structure from ancient times. But, it is all based on that, unless it is copies without care for what has been in the past. Not going down the road about whether newer music respects that, but if you are a relatively true musician, you have to respect at least a minimal 'understanding'(dang, I hate to use that term) of musical theory.

again, I don't want to turn this thread into a thing it wasn't meant to be. and i'm sorry if it went there.

my apologies,
O.R.

There isn't any rift in my opinion but I am really passionate about this topic because I still am pretty young. Indeed, it's always been that way. I remember how when I grew up I listened to post-hardcore, metalcore and deathcore and the older guys despised those kinds of music. You can still find videos of people attacking those genres or individual bands on YouTube. The same must be true for people who liked glam metal, blues rock or grunge back in the day, albeit through different media. I'm sure I won't understand the music of youth myself when I become your age. But again, I'm very passionate about music and wish it moves forward. I'm like I said a big fan of metal and my main gripe with the genre is how it just stagnated over the last decade. The last band that actually got big with music that didn't just come from a revival movement was Babymetal back in 2012. Otherwise it's all music that has been done before and that gets really stale. I mean right now there is a nu metal revival going on and nu metal was a thing in the late 90's. Nothing wrong with it of course but all those modern bands sound like exact copies of eachother where as the old nu metal bands sounded so different from eachother it wasn't even clear whether they truly belonged to the same genre. The last band that has gotten really famous is Greta Van Fleet and that band just rips off Led Zeppelin.

cjk
March 15th, 2020, 09:07 AM
whoa guys, I hope I didn't cause a rift here.

There's no rift. Certainly nothing beyond opinion and you'll notice that comes down largely to personal tastes.

People will always have opinions.

EdG
March 15th, 2020, 11:39 AM
oldrocker - no problem and welcome to the board! :waving:

I think that everyone likes the kind of music that they grew up with. Young people are more receptive to new things. I know that I stopped paying attention to popular culture by age 30.
Ed

harpgal
March 15th, 2020, 11:58 AM
Oh my goodness! I must have roamed with the dinosaurs! I like classical music.

EdG
March 15th, 2020, 12:02 PM
Oh my goodness! I must have roamed with the dinosaurs! I like classical music.I like classical music too. Classical was the original long-hair music. :rockerdud
Ed

Sarahlabyrinth
March 15th, 2020, 01:15 PM
Ha ha, yes, it was! :laugh:

Neoma
March 15th, 2020, 03:33 PM
When people realize these are often live performances, and Freddy is really that good? It blows both their brain cells.

Interesting conversation...

I saw Queen in Memphis back in the 70's. At least once everyone left the stage and the music was still going on. My theory is that
Freddy sang many of the tracks himself.

cjk
March 15th, 2020, 04:46 PM
Interesting conversation...

I saw Queen in Memphis back in the 70's. At least once everyone left the stage and the music was still going on. My theory is that
Freddy sang many of the tracks himself.

The five-part harmony in the first verse of Bohemian Rhapsody is all Freddy. Multiple tracks overlaid.

Dr Brian and the boys did not start singing until later in the song.

Gaalsong
March 15th, 2020, 04:46 PM
My husband has long hair, about waist length. He always wanted it long when he was young, but was forbidden by his parents. I think he grew it out immediately after he went to college, and never did more than trim since then. He loves rock and plays guitar, writes music, has been in several bands. Long hair for men is also kind of traditional in our church, with beards, depending on what country you're from. But he really just likes it. He has really healthy, silky hair and takes good care of it. I love it.

Several years ago, there was a survey on this site, asking people their motivation for growing long hair. I mentioned that I did it to be a more feminine woman. Then another member mentioned that he did it to be more masculine! We ended up deciding that long hair just makes people more attractive generally, male or female.

oldrocker
March 15th, 2020, 05:54 PM
Cool....glad to see all the posts about rock here....I was semi-joking about a rift. Differences of opinion are what spices life, eh? I also have a wide range of musical tastes and likes. Classical music is(IMHO), the basis of almost all current music. Hundreds to a thousand years was needed to formulate all the theories of music, which I also think is akin to mathematics(sorry, but I have a history there too....lol). Is there anything so complex, yet satisfying as the entire suite of Pictures at an Exhibition????

To get back on hair here a little. Went to Trader Joe's in St Louis yesterday and picked up the Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner. Might just be cause I haven't used conditioner regularly with the 'man cut' in a while, but dang, can't help running my hands over my hair and enjoying a bit of a difference in condition/softness. Have to admit that I forgot what it was like to treat your hair nicely. To paraphrase the poker community....I'm all in!!! Want to be the guy in the band that shows off what well groomed long hair is all about.

thanks all,
O.R.

Neoma
March 15th, 2020, 08:03 PM
The five-part harmony in the first verse of Bohemian Rhapsody is all Freddy. Multiple tracks overlaid.

Dr Brian and the boys did not start singing until later in the song.

Thank you, cjk. That explains what I saw and heard in concert then.

Freddy was brilliant. I named my first cockatiel after him. :rockerdud