PDA

View Full Version : First time since bleaching my hair to death, it's shiny thanks to my mud wash!

paperwings
April 10th, 2013, 06:42 PM
A few weeks ago I decided I'd go back to natural hair/skin care after frying the life out of my poor hair and not being able to fix it with deep conditioners so I thought to start making all of my own products because I actually know what's going into them and they're alot cheaper this way. I read about clay washing and thought itd be fun to try. I used calcium bentonite clay, pure aloe gel, honey, coconut oil, chamomile, catnip tea, rosewater, acv, and a vitamin e capsule (as preservative; hoping it won't need to be refrigerated .) I mixed it all together and got a muddy looking concoction that I poured into an old honey container (the cute bear ones lol.) Using it like conditioner I got my hair wet with warm water, rubbed the mixture into my scalp and hair, waited until I was done washing/shaving, then rinsed with lukewarm water when I was ready to get out. When my hair was wet it felt really strange; hmm..idk how to describe it...not slippery at all as usual after regular conditoner, almost tacky. After it was mostly dry I realized I should've added a little more coconut oil, it was a little dry looking at the ends, but it looked about the same as my usual CO wash (my hair is always dry lately ever since I bleached it.) Once it finished drying I put some coconut oil on my ends as I always do and my hair instantly became softer and I noticed how my ends would shimmer a little in the light even in the house. I thought maybe they always do that and I just realized but I looked in the mirror and my hair looked so shiny!! Yay, my hair looks healthy for once!!!

Usually coconut oil just kinda smoothes my hair if it's frizzyish or gets greasy without being shiny (atleast as of lately), but I now suspect that my hair had alot of build up on it from all the deep conditioners I was using after bleaching. The clay clarified it so the coconut oil could actually work it's magic again now. :D Glorious day! Now that I think about it though I used clarifyers in the past couple months, with all different methods of conditioning after varying from just coconut oil to deep conditioning+coconut oil after and my hair looked dry no matter what, the ends just refused the moisture I offered. I guess I don't fully understand what happened here but I'm happy about.

The clay was a lovely shampoo/conditioner, but I see why people recommend bentonite for clarification and say it can be drying. I will definately keep using it though because most of those people don't really focus on any conditioning ingreditents. It was very gentle even though it cleans really well. My hair is no doubt in better condition than it's been in awhile, also I like the idea of using bentonite clay on my scalp because the stuff literally absorbs toxins from your body and I feel if anywhere the head is a good place to start. ;]

Anyway sorry for rambling about my hair with probablly many a mispellings and run on sentences but I'm dead tired and felt I should comment before I forget about how lovely my hair was right after washing, it's not something I see everyday...

winship2
April 10th, 2013, 10:10 PM
That sounds lovely, congratulations on the good result! I have never even thought to try a clay wash, but perhaps one of these days I will. Hope you continue to be happy with your hair :)

ghost
April 11th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Nice! I'm glad you got such a good result from an experiment.

Fethenwen
April 11th, 2013, 12:35 AM
That sounds awesome! Congrats for the success of your experiments :)

meteor
April 11th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Awesome experiment! So happy it worked for you! :)
Could you please let us know how much bentonite clay and ACV you used vs. other ingredients?
I guess all other ingredients are pretty moisturizing, so it's hard to mess up the proportions too much. But bentonite clay can be extremely drying so it's important to get the amount right.
I want to start using clay on my scalp (I love it in skin masques) but I'm afraid that it might tangle my thick and processed hair.

sisi33
April 11th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Congratulations on shiney hair! I know for me, I preen like a bird in the mirror when my hair is shiny!

spidermom
April 11th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Oh my; the idea of clay going down my drains is kind of scary for the potential to plug up the system, kind of like plaque in arteries.