PDA

View Full Version : a help for a receding hairline

DinaAG
April 10th, 2013, 05:53 PM
i really need help :( usually i dont have a thick hair in my hairline but it has been a year and its receding and has less hair not a baldness but less hair and a little receding :( is there anything that can fix it please..

rock007junkie
April 10th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Castor oil has helped a lot with mine (especially Jamaican Black Castor oil). I know some ladies here have also used monistat with some success
c

Kiwiwi
April 10th, 2013, 06:14 PM
It could be traction alopecia.
Do you wear your hair up tight a lot? Do you wear weaves, cornrows, tiny braids? Do you wear hijabs? Etc.
Anything that puts pressure on the follicles of your hairs in that area can possibly eventually cause traction alopecia.

To stop it you need to stop what's causing it.

If this is not it then I don't really know. Maybe something hormonal?

Castor oil can indeed help. Put castor oil on your scalp in the places it's needed and let it stay for atleast an hour, better overnight. Like maybe 3 times a week. Go look on Youtube and type in "castor oil against hair loss" or something like that to see other peoples experiences with it :)

Good luck!

NightOwl26
April 10th, 2013, 09:30 PM
The hair around my temples is thin too. I'm a side sleeper (both sides) and most of the pressure I sleep on is my temples. That's what I blame. I switched my pillowcase months ago and think I have new growth. Many short hairs growing! Just a thought. :) You're probably not getting a receding hairline like men do!

dulce
April 10th, 2013, 09:34 PM
I used 5% rogaine at night and it helped.

Kaelee
April 10th, 2013, 09:43 PM
The hair around my temples is thin too. I'm a side sleeper (both sides) and most of the pressure I sleep on is my temples. That's what I blame. I switched my pillowcase months ago and think I have new growth. Many short hairs growing! Just a thought. :) You're probably not getting a receding hairline like men do!

The hair around my temples is thin too...and a different type of hair. I was in a meeting today and got a chance to glance around at other people...male and female...and they all had similar shaped hairline/thinner hair in that area. I think it's normal.

My hair is dyed and the roots are lighter, really accentuating the thinness in that area, but I'm pretty sure mine is completely normal. I think the hair is just softer and finer there naturally.

DancingQueen
April 11th, 2013, 12:56 AM
Try Priorin. I have had really good results with it, as my hair was getting really thin (not sure it was age-related though, I am only 20). You don't ned a receipt for it, and it shouldn't be dangerous. :)

Fethenwen
April 11th, 2013, 01:06 AM

Damn, I never thought that side sleeping could cause that. I'm also a side sleeper. What kind of pillowcase did you switch too?

My hair is also getting a little thinner at the temples, it's just something that happens when you get older. My mother and all her sisters have that too. At first I started adding castor oil, but it's just too much trouble. I have bangs, and adding castor oil regularly means that I would be walking about with oily bangs most of the time. Or that I would have to wash my bangs every morning. My night-time ritual of washing my face, brushing my teeth etc. is long enough so adding castor oil is just too much trouble :D

Fantak
April 11th, 2013, 01:55 AM
I 2nd rogaine.

Also if you wear a hijab I suggest either a silk one or a silk headband/scarf under the hijab on the area where the hair is thinning. It will decrease friction and also keep the volume so you don't get the hijab version of helmet hair :D

MaryMarx
April 11th, 2013, 02:30 AM
The hair at my temples is superthin, in fact, there is almost no hair there at all.
I was thinking about doing a post about this to ask around how common it is.
I know mine is genetic, my mother has the same and I have always had it.
I also know it is not from sleeping on my side, since for me it's the ear part that gets the pressure, not the temple.
:o

oktobergoud
April 11th, 2013, 04:38 AM
The hair around my temples is thin too...and a different type of hair. I was in a meeting today and got a chance to glance around at other people...male and female...and they all had similar shaped hairline/thinner hair in that area. I think it's normal.

My hair is dyed and the roots are lighter, really accentuating the thinness in that area, but I'm pretty sure mine is completely normal. I think the hair is just softer and finer there naturally.

My hair is exactly like this! And I have the same problem with roots as well, although I dye my hair with henna so it's not a big difference. But when I used to dye my hair black, the roots were SO light and thin that it looked transparent! It really looked like I was balding :eek:

MonaMayfair
April 11th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Yes, it's normal for hair to be thinner there. And you're NOT supposed to use Rogaine in that area, because it often causes facial hair.

MiaBeth
April 11th, 2013, 09:44 AM
My hair is fine and super thin in the temple area -- when I pull it back, it actually does look like two bald patches. But, it's been this way since I was a kid, and one of my sons has the same hairline. I wear bangs to fill out the front.

MaryMarx
April 11th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Some cat's have it too. :o ;)

DinaAG
April 11th, 2013, 12:06 PM
thanks really for your great suggestions! i dont wear hijab and i dont pull it tight but yes i sleep on my sides i didnt think it can cause this before and i can sleep other wise :( i will try castor oil but is rogaine and Priorin once i stop them it's ok or my hair will fall again?

DinaAG
April 11th, 2013, 12:09 PM
also the rest of my hair is very healthy, doesnt fall a lot or have a lot of split ends and grows fine

dulce
April 11th, 2013, 01:01 PM
I have not had problems with Rogaine and facial hair and I have used it on my temples and thinning eyebrows[it helped a lot!]I've used it for several years now.

faellen
April 11th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I doubt sleeping on your sides would cause noticeable hair loss issues around the temples, as others have mentioned I think hair is just naturally thinner there. Otherwise sleeping on our backs would cause hair loss at the back of the head? We'd all be sleeping on our faces to avoid thinning hair :lol:

DinaAG
April 11th, 2013, 01:14 PM
so if i used i should not stop it?

Agnieszka
April 11th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Dina, before starting Rogaine, please do some research. I decided not to use it as it is a drug which can affect your whole body (you can get hypertension, it can affect fetus and could harm unborn baby so pregnant women are not allowed to use it). Also if you stop using it your new hair are going to fall out in about 3 months after stopping. But yes, it works for many people.

DinaAG
April 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM
oh! no i do not need such a medicine thanks for the information, i would really appreciate a natural approach..

curly girl fla
April 11th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I've been using oils that contain castor and sulfur, and I have a ton of new growth at my hairline and where it is "receding". I honestly never realized the lack of hair there-it's always seemed to be that way. But once I started head massages with growth oil, it just started to sprout. There's another thread here about topically applied sulfur, and many mix their own. I am currently using one from Liquid Gold, and I gave one to my husband since this is a concern of his. Hopefully it will work for him. There are many small etailers making these concoctions, so there are many to choose from. :)

Mesmerise
April 11th, 2013, 07:52 PM
My hairline is receding too and it is quite stressful for me! I've also lost some hair around the sides of my head (there are distinct sort of balding regions, and the hair appears more diffuse and scattered there). I considered Rogaine, but then I read somewhere that it's highly toxic to cats and honestly, I would just be too scared that somehow one of the cats would get some!!! I also don't want to spend the rest of my life putting chemicals on my scalp and I've heard that with Rogaine you have to keep using it or your hair will fall out again.

I recently ordered some of this: http://www.liquidgoldhairproducts.com/product/liquid-gold-hair-growth-oil-bald-spot-treatment-2oz I don't have it yet though, so I can't say whether or not it will work! Still it wasn't too expensive, and it's worth a shot!

NightOwl26
April 11th, 2013, 08:14 PM

Yeah I agree the thinness in that area is pretty common and normal. And my roots are really light in my temples too. When roots come, it looks thinner!

Damn, I never thought that side sleeping could cause that. I'm also a side sleeper. What kind of pillowcase did you switch too?

My hair is also getting a little thinner at the temples, it's just something that happens when you get older. My mother and all her sisters have that too. At first I started adding castor oil, but it's just too much trouble. I have bangs, and adding castor oil regularly means that I would be walking about with oily bangs most of the time. Or that I would have to wash my bangs every morning. My night-time ritual of washing my face, brushing my teeth etc. is long enough so adding castor oil is just too much trouble :D
I switched from my regular pillowcase to one of my fancier satin pillow shams. It's soft and slippery.

MaryMarx
April 12th, 2013, 07:26 AM
We'd all be sleeping on our faces to avoid thinning hair :lol:
Hmmm... :hmm:

jacqueline101
April 12th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I use monistat and it's made my hair thicker.

DinaAG
April 13th, 2013, 04:37 PM
it's the first time to hear about the sulfur in the liquid gold i hope i can find it in my country in another form! i got worried about monistat because of it's side effects they said it causes headaches and so?

Mesmerise
April 13th, 2013, 05:13 PM
it's the first time to hear about the sulfur in the liquid gold i hope i can find it in my country in another form! i got worried about monistat because of it's side effects they said it causes headaches and so?

You may be able to try making your own? Look for some recipes online! A lot of people try and make their own formulations to save money. I bought mine from the US, and yes, the shipping was more than the product!! However, if it fixes the problem, it's worth it to me :).

DinaAG
April 14th, 2013, 04:25 PM
i will :) thank you

mamaherrera
May 14th, 2013, 11:15 AM
My temples are like that too, they look like two big C's, but I've noticed that one side starts farther in than the other, do any of you have different hairlines on the temples?? I don't know if it was like that when I was a kid because my bangs were always there, but now that I have a side bang, and that side is where the hair doesn't go, if I pull it up, you can see that on that side, the hair starts farther in, just the slightest but there's a definite difference. And I've found those thinner hairs don't grow as long, they always are just there! they won't go back into ponytails

meteor
May 14th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I've been using oils that contain castor and sulfur, and I have a ton of new growth at my hairline and where it is "receding"
Great! I'd love to do that too. What oils are those, curly girl fla?

I have used mustard oil and garlic-infused oil (both have lots of sulfur) with great success in the past, but I'd like to find something less smelly. Unfortunately, sulfur tends to have a very strong smell.:(

mamaherrera
August 28th, 2013, 04:17 PM
We should all share pictures of our temple area, to see if we're similar. I too, have thin, fine and very sparse hairs in my temples. One derm told me it was AGA and that it'd receded a bit. Now I'm more depressed than ever. But mabye there's more of us out there with this. It is worrysome that's for sure.