PDA

View Full Version : Hair emergency coming up! Need advice for after surgery

lunalocks
April 10th, 2013, 04:08 PM
No, I am not having hair surgery. I am having shoulder surgery next week. I am at a loss at how to manage my hair for the month following surgery as I will not be able to use my right (dominant) hand and arm to put it up. DH wants to help, but so far he has not mastered even the simplest bun. I will try a braid (without a tie - I need to protect the ends) and a clip, but I also need to sleep (and I will have to sleep on my back half the time.) Have any of you been through this? How did you manage? I bun my hair every day and every night.

Also, not sure what to do with it DURING surgery. No spin pins allowed. I am considering actually SEWING a flat braided bun in place. At least I won't have to worry about it for a few days. But I've never done that before. Ideas?

Vrindi
April 10th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Sewing a bun is actually really easy. It sounds like a great idea for surgery.

How much hair do you have? Will it fit in an octopus clip? DH should be able to manage that— no pins necessary.

lunalocks
April 10th, 2013, 04:43 PM
36 inches. A clip during the day may work, but I will be reclining and sleeping and can't do that with a clip.

kdaniels8811
April 10th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Braid on top of your head - think of Jeanie on I dream of Jeanie. That gets it out of the way. Best of luck on the surgery.

kaydana
April 10th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Do you have any requirements for how your hair looks during that time?

Depending on the size and your hair type, microbraids or cornrows could last for the entire time you're unable to use your dominant hand and would make looking after your hair during that time much, much easier. You can bun them no problem, and you wouldn't need to worry about detangling your hair or anything like that.

Sew them to your head in a flat bun, and you've probably got a style that will last completely untouched until you can use your dominant hand again.

FrozenBritannia
April 10th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Not actually sure what I would do in your position... Probably a lot of cinnabuns and teach my OH how to put the fork in lol.

I hope your surgery goes well though and that your recovery time is faster than anticipated!

Sylvestrix
April 10th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I'm so sorry you're having surgery, hope all goes well! I second the advice for cornrows or microbraids though- a friend of my mothers who has had TBL hair all the time I'd known her had surgery on her shoulder when I was a little girl, and I remember her rocking tiny braids whilst she recovered. If that's not an option, I think your idea of sewing in a braided bun is a good one which will last you for a few days at least- perhaps your could teach your OH to braid with a paranda so as to protect your ends?

lunalocks
April 10th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions!

Vrindi, I may sew the bun. What kind of thread and thickness would you use?
kdaniel I think a braid laying flat on the back of my head might be better than one on top, but I'll experiment.
kaydana no requirements on how I look for at least 2 weeks. But I do want a protective style.
FB I have tried, in vain, to teach DH how to fork a bun. Frankly, even the best I put in does not make it through the night.
I like the idea of cornrows - tho can't do it myself. Don't have the time or money to go to a salon to do it and worry about the ends in those tiny braids. But I may try some version of this idea. Maybe small braids bunned and sewn into place?
Sylvestrix a paranda with the braid bunned (again, maybe sewn) might also work. But this idea seems pretty complicated.

kaydana
April 10th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions!

Vrindi, I may sew the bun. What kind of thread and thickness would you use?
kdaniel I think a braid laying flat on the back of my head might be better than one on top, but I'll experiment.
kaydana no requirements on how I look for at least 2 weeks. But I do want a protective style.
FB I have tried, in vain, to teach DH how to fork a bun. Frankly, even the best I put in does not make it through the night.
I like the idea of cornrows - tho can't do it myself. Don't have the time or money to go to a salon to do it and worry about the ends in those tiny braids. But I may try some version of this idea. Maybe small braids bunned and sewn into place?
Sylvestrix a paranda with the braid bunned (again, maybe sewn) might also work. But this idea seems pretty complicated.

You don't have to do really tiny cornrows, they just need to be small enough that they'll stay there. Eight or nine would probably be enough to hold for a fair while. If you can french or dutch braid, you'll be able to do them yourself (and if you can't french or dutch braid then it's time you learned!). Sew those up into a bun and that will be pretty protective. I'd recommend using a sleep cap of some sort though to stop them rubbing against your pillow (if you don't use one already).

I don't think a normal braided bun, even with small braids, sewn into place will last as well because you'll have a lot of "loose" hair going into the bun.

PraiseCheeses
April 10th, 2013, 07:58 PM
I had three vertebrae in my neck fused almost a year ago and was entirely laid up for quite a while, so I know where you're coming from. (Sorry to anyone who might be annoyed reading similar posts from me in other threads... :flower:) For the day of surgery, I wore my hair in twin braids, which I then sewed to my head milkmaid-style using a satin ribbon about half an inch wide. I could lie on my back with no interference from my hair, and I left them in for a little over a week and had very few tangles when I took them out. They definitely would have held up for even longer if I needed them to. I highly recommend doing this. :)

If you have one, bring a silk pillowcase or a large silk scarf and ask the nurses or your DH to place it on your pillow. Hospital pillows are super scratchy.

It's great that your DH is willing to help! I'm going to bet braiding will be easier for him than buns. I realize you're trying to avoid damage from hair ties, but if he's really having trouble, your best bet might just be to have him put it in a banded pony. If bunning is really important, try having him take charge of the "holding" responsibilities while you do the "manipulating" with your good hand. I found after the first week it wasn't too difficult for me to do a loose side braid on myself. Hope this helps!

Good luck - I hope you find something that works well for you and that your recovery is fast and easy!

lunalocks
April 10th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Kaydana I can do a french braid but never have done small ones. My hair may be too slippery but I'm going to go try right now.

PraiseCheeses I' try the twin braids and sewing in place with a satin ribbon. I have tried to side braid with my left hand a few times just to see if I could do it. Every time, disaster. I have some old silk blouses that will fit over a pillow. I hope your surgery was successful and worth it.

I have had a black cat who looked so much like yours, on the right. I miss him.

PraiseCheeses
April 10th, 2013, 09:09 PM
lunalocks, the surgery changed my life for the better and saved my career. It was worth it, without a doubt - I hope you have a similar experience. :flower: Please be sure to come back and let us know how it goes!

:crush: Black kitties!!

QMacrocarpa
April 11th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I had a shoulder injury in 2011 which limited my use of my dominant hand for a while. I wore a lot of side braids and pencil buns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34), mostly secured with a Fakkare, because I found that more stable than a stick. Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

embee
April 11th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I think the heidi braids sewn into place sounds good. One braid down the back means you'll be lying on it all the time, not so good. One braid started on top might work better because it can then go up-over the pillow or sofa back.

I think DH may well improve in his skill after a day or so! :) He might manage a twisted up topknot held with a big claw or octopus clip.

You will probably want to have your hair taken down and combed every day or so, just because... I know it would drive me nuts never to comb (or brush) mine. My scalp would feel so ... lonesome and neglected. :)

Best wishes on the surgery and I hope it works wonderfully well!

lydiajo
April 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I would do hair taping. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m01wsIn-6zA This is what I recommend to all my long hair patients.
Do not put your hair in any style that ends up between you and the pillow. As an anesthetist it makes taking care of you (head, neck and breathing) more difficult. For the surgery, you will be in a semi sitting position with your head flat on the bed....think head ache or neck ache when you wake up.

lunalocks
April 16th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Thank you, Lydiajo. I watched the tutorial and I think I can do that. Thank you for the optimism, PraiseCheeses. I have to think about the outcome and being able to do things without pain. I have already given up so much, trying to heal this without surgery.

DH can braid! He can pony with a scrunchie! He can secure a claw clip! I have ordered a satin sleep cap and hopefully he can help me get all the hair in there.

Thank you, everyone, for your advise. Only 3 days to go...

Vrindi
April 16th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Thank you, Lydiajo. I watched the tutorial and I think I can do that. Thank you for the optimism, PraiseCheeses. I have to think about the outcome and being able to do things without pain. I have already given up so much, trying to heal this without surgery.

DH can braid! He can pony with a scrunchie! He can secure a claw clip! I have ordered a satin sleep cap and hopefully he can help me get all the hair in there.

Thank you, everyone, for your advise. Only 3 days to go...

Sorry just seeing this— use any size ribbon that works well. I like 1/2".

jacqueline101
April 16th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I'd try a braided up do.