PDA

View Full Version : Hair thickness and layers

W2
April 10th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I have been growing out my bangs for almost 2 years now. It has now passed shoulders. The rest of the hair is a bit longer than BS
I'm beginning to contemplate layers. The shortest being about the bang's length and no lengths taken off.
But if my hair is not super thick, will it then seem even thinner?
I'm also growing out dye so I'm not sure it's the best idea.

Have any of you advices for me?

Sylvestrix
April 10th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I think it really is a personal thing. I have longish layer that I adore when they're down, but they do make updos a proper pain in the bottom, so it depends if you're prepared to beat them into submission a little if you wear your hair up a lot! =] I do think your hair is stunning though, especially in your sig pic! Thud!

ETA my hair is fairly thick though, and the strands are very coarse which I do think makes them more inclined to poke out. I'm not sure what they're like to deal with on thinner hair! So I'm probably not all that helpful here, sorry!

Salmonberry
April 10th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Your hair certainly doesn't appear to be thin. :) In my onion hair isn't "thin" unless it's on the low end of i thickness. And layers can actually make hair seem a bit fluffier and 3-dimensional if done right. I have layers in my APL hair. I've classified myself as ii/m and I get comments on how thick my hair is all the time. I think the extra weight of one length hair has a tendency to pull it down flatter. If your goal isn't to do complex up-dos that require all one length hair, then layers can add a lot of dimension to your hair when you wear it down.

Edit: I forgot you said you were growing out dye. The layers may actually help break up your grow out line if it's really harsh. I naturally have multiple colors in my hair. Lighter on the canopy and darker underneath. The layers allow the darker parts to show and it looks nice. But it doesn't really bother me to not have all one color hair.

W2
April 10th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I mostly just do buns. I tend to do one type of bun for a couple of weeks and then move to another. The bang layer doesn't give me any problem.

Salmonberry
April 10th, 2013, 02:19 PM
If you're doing a lot buns then you may end up with shorter bits that poke out and won't stay in. I think that's why a lot of people hear swear off layers. They make it harder to do braids/buns etc. I never wear my hair up, so I don't mind having layers. I remember once I was required to wear my hair in a bun for a dance class. I couldn't keep bits from springing out without the use of a bunch of heavy, sticky, waxy product. My hair is also really springy. If yours is softer and not super slippery or springy, then maybe it won't be a problem.

W2
April 10th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I made an appointment with a friend, who's a hairdresser. I will talk with her first to hear, what she will do before she puts scissors in my hair.

My idea of layers may be different from hers.