PDA

View Full Version : Black manic panic?

Mandie
April 9th, 2013, 08:43 PM
So I'm planning on a cosplay (vanellope von schweetz for those who are curious) and I waited a bit too long to get a decent wig so I'm thinking I'll just dye my hair black but I don't want it to be black forever. Has anyone else used the black manic panic and did it wash out completely after a few washes or did it linger? I only need it for the weekend so I'd rather not have it for eternity. Right now my hair is a fairly bright red, so I'm just nervous about applying black and having to struggle to get it back out of my hair again. So has anyone had personal experience with it? Did it really come out?

Nedertane
April 9th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Depends what you mean by a few washes. On average, MP tends to last about 4 - 8 weeks, if I remember right. It's POSSIBLE for it to stain, but it really depends on your hair type/condition. Hair that's more dried out or damaged - especially if it's been bleached, even a little bit - tends to have MP stick to it more. Some people's hair, though, even when natural/virgin/all-around healthy, is just more porous, and will have it stick, too.

Some time ago, there was a thread of a similar topic, and the OP wanted a dark brown color that would only last 2 - 3 days. I'm 95% sure someone was able to recommend a product, but I can't remember its name (or that person) for the life of me. All I remember was that they linked to a product on Amazon that came in a pink bottle (super helpful, I know).

Hope any of this helped!

akilina
April 9th, 2013, 10:35 PM
I think Anywhere used the black MP and I think she had issues with residual blueish greenish and maybe still does quite some time after. Maybe she will pop in with her experience.

Based on your sig pic...I almost want to say that I would not use it. Some people report that when using MP, the color is still there over 6 months later, or at least color traces are clearly left behind. If you want to go the temporary route I would use a different product... I love MP but I think that in their case, you should expect them to last much longer than expected.

Something with the same concept of deposit only dye that uses no developer (semi permanent) might be better to use. There are many brands out there maybe if you go to a local supply store someone there could help you pick out an exact brand. For some reason MP seems to hold on very strong in some cases. Mostly...its their pigments they leave behind that seem to last forever.

You could always use Fanci-Ful. It can be sort of messy, so Idk how willing I would even be to want to put it on such long hair but it would be sure to only be very very temporary.

Mandie
April 10th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Fanci-ful looks like EXACTLY what I was hoping to find, thank you guys! I was really hesitant about manic panic for the exact reasons you mentioned but Fanci-ful looks like it's precisely what I need, and I can get it at Walmart which is totally perfect. Thank you!

Mononoke
April 10th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Oooh, that's something I've been looking for for a while :)
Would anyone mind telling me if some of the ingredients may be damaging, and if it contains proteins?

HEXYLENE GLYCOL, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, STEARALKONIUM CHLORIDE, OCTOXYNOL-1, TARTARIC ACID

anitacs9101
April 10th, 2013, 01:51 AM
I would also say no to the MP! I've never used the black shade and I've only just done my hair with another color so I can't say how long it takes to fade for me, but from what I've heard MP can linger a looong time and even though it will supposedly come out eventually, with a hair color so light like yours it could fade unevenly and just look awful for a long time. :shake:

Miasen
April 10th, 2013, 02:45 AM
I used the black one-it turned out a dark green colour, so yeah, good call not going for it, they aren't always predictable. MP can also stay in a long while. I dyed my tips blue in september, and now they are a greyish green, very obviously still dyed. :p

Mandie
April 10th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Oh gosh! O_O I'm glad I asked before I went for it, I had it in my head that MP was fairly temporary. I'm going to buy a bottle of Fanci-ful tomorrow and see how it does for covering more than just grays, I'll post some photos if I remember to snap some.

mashy
April 10th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Another option that we have in the UK is the Nice and Easy 8 washes dye or we have what we call wash in wash out dyes. I've never tries black manic panic type dye but from experience (purple pink and blue) they tend to linger quite a bit and my purple/pinks turned a horrible orangey colour and blue turned a horribly rotten green turning yellow colour.Both times i ended up having to dye over them with a natural colour rather than just washing them out :(

Lunadriael
April 10th, 2013, 05:52 AM
For one evening in the UK they also do those spray-paint type bottles of wash in wash out colour (like the glitter but in a colour). I dyed my hair orange for a rainbow day when I was at school years ago and that came out without any problems (and it was quite bright too). Sounds like you've found what you need with Fanci-ful though. I would agree that manic panic doesn't exactly come out when you want it to, at least the vampire red doesn't, and I've heard many people say that the black turns green, so definitely a good one to avoid.

door72067
April 10th, 2013, 06:03 AM
just a note about Fanci-Ful

I used Lucky Copper when I was in high school and my hair stayed red for weeks and weeks after

now, this was several decades ago, so the formula very well may have been changed and I was previously bleached so of course my hair was porous, but it ~did~ stick around for a long while after

with black being what it is (dark and notorious for going blue/green), it may stain as well...use caution

Mandie
April 10th, 2013, 10:14 AM
it may stain as well...use caution

I definitely will! I'm going to try it out tonight on my underlayer and make sure it A: looks good on and B: comes out clean. If it doesn't the underside won't show it as badly.

Mandie
April 12th, 2013, 01:22 PM
So Sally's didn't have the liquid in the colour I wanted when I went, and I figured I'd just get the mousse and try it out. Mistake. The mousse is horrible. It barely covers my red and it deposited the darker colour over top my red down my length (I'm hoping that will go away with another shower) as well as making my hair SUPER crunchy and stiff and awful. So no to the mousse. The colour mostly came out but I can see a huge difference in the colour of my hair. Hopefully the dark comes out. I'm going to get a black clip-in ponytail to match my black clip-in bangs so I only have to colour the hair atop my head to reduce the amount of dark deposit I get on my length this time.

So Roux Fanci-ful Mousse: fail. I'll update when I try the liquid. I tried the mousse on both wet and dry hair to give it a fair shake.