PDA

View Full Version : Advice (and style suggestions?) for hair while it's growing after falling out

candlesandfish
April 9th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Two years ago my life went very very bad and I was stressed to the eyeballs and very emotional for several months. In the process, a lot of my hair - probably a third of it? fell out, and it was noticeably thinner. It was the least of my worries, so I left it alone.

Six months ago it started to grow back in, which was nice, but it grew back in large chunks (not the odd wispy) and it was not necessarily all in the same small area, and I've got wavy hair so it was a pain to try and pin/hold back with headbands or whatever. It's now almost long enough to fit into my nape-of-the-neck braid that is my go-to for sleep and 'can't be bothered today' styles including braided buns. Almost. It keeps coming out and just looking messy :(

Yesterday I noticed that I have MORE hair growing in. I am pleased about this - I've got quite fine hair to begin with so my braids aren't overly thick, but it means all this drama again.

So, anyone got any advice on managing all these short chunks of hair? Style suggestions perhaps? I've got classic length hair, for what it's worth.

Me (with growing-out bits at the side of my face):

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/482238_10151379097907717_310622222_n.jpg

from the back-ish (see how thin my braid is?):
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/17751_10151379097792717_1349883518_n.jpg

Kaelee
April 9th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Maybe do intentionally messy styles so that the bits look intentional?

Your hair is beautiful by the way!

GoldenSilk
April 9th, 2013, 12:55 PM
You say that you don't like that it's growing back in chunks, but I think it's beautiful and face-framing. :) It looks a bit like the long bangs that are in style now.

I have a similar problem, except mine is all over and all different lengths from years of stress/sickness off and on... I'm not really sure myself how to hide it. I tried a fake French braid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA) yesterday. It seemed to hold the wispies in for longer than a normal braid, without being as much work as a real French braid. Real French braids still work the best for me, but I only learned how to do them a couple of months ago, so they still take me a lot of time and effort.

Most of the time I think it looks the best with intentionally-messy styles, for a soft look. This looks great with my fine hair, but I get massive tangles in the wispies if there's any wind at all, even if the rest is bunned... :justy:

ravenheather
April 9th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Dutch braid holds shorter pieces in.

kdaniels8811
April 9th, 2013, 04:53 PM
My ponytail is thinner than that! Your hair is great, good luck with the growing out. I am doing the same from bald (chemo) so my hair is all different lengths.

arcane
April 9th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I had a massive shed last year, and naturally have a lot of wispies around my temples anyways, so I feel your pain. I'm also a wavey which is great because I find it tends to hide the pieces better when it's down/half up. I agree with messy styles being your friend, better to look intentionally rumpled than frazzled. What I typically do is bobby pin the sides if they are misbehaving (making sure the bobby pin is the right side down so they are less noticeable), but my hair is strong and doesn't get a lot of mechanical damage. Headbands are a great option too. Also I tend to run my fingers over my hair after I have it up to collect all the bits that will fall out anyways and tuck them behind my ears. I find they still fly away but I now do it naturally when I come back inside and every once in awhile. It keeps the Einstein look from getting too strong. I also have better luck with things like twin braids or a crown braid when I need to look a bit neater, as they tend to gather more of the shorter pieces, but that will depend on where yours are.

The best advice is to just own it, confidence will go along way. Sometimes I know I look a right mess, but really it's just hair. Sometimes I point it out if I catch someone staring, and say it's proof that I'm untameable, even my hair doesn't listen.

FrozenBritannia
April 9th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I went through that a few years ago, I know its distracting. Smaller braids worked into bigger braids can help, headbands, or hair clips to hold it together might help. I didn't have any longer hair to work with, so I developed a strong appreciation for hats. :agree:

candlesandfish
April 10th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Hats are awesome, I wore a hat today!

Thanks everyone. Headbands sort of work to a point, but because my hair is wavy/curly (depends on the weather) it tends to stick up at the back of the headband like horns which is not fun :/

I might try doing twin braid styles to see if I can get the smaller bits in - my biggest problem is less about how it looks (on a humid day when it's really ringlet-y I quite like it) and more about the fact that it seems to be constantly in my face. ARGH!

I ended up at the hairdressers today with my parents (was in the car with my dad when he was going to his appointment) and she gave me a sympathetic look and said that hairspray or wax was probably my best friend until it grew out, sigh. I know that's true it's just frustrating!

In the meantime I just try to own the messy look, and mostly get away with it, it's more that it annoys me by getting in my face and it's impossible to get it to look sleek for formal things.

Thankyou all :)

Emichiee
April 10th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I know what you mean about the "chunks". They are not nicely cut face framing layers, they grow into chunks from all over the head. I had a whole set of bangs plus side layers growing in earlier last year :/.

What helped me was wearing headbands (calorimetry, wider ones and far back works) or hair circlets with buns and such or a knitted slouchy hat like the one in my sig. If that was not an option I tamed the hair with hair pins, aloe vera gel and/or shea butter.

Angelica
April 10th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Your hair is so lovely and long and shiny. I'd be so happy if my very fine, thin hair could grow that long. What an achievement. :) Glad your hair is recovering, quickly now, by the sound of it :)

MissAlida
April 10th, 2013, 01:14 PM
I don't really have any suggestions, since my hair is curly, so my new growth can hide well. But I'm pretty much in the same boat, and have all these short chunks of hair around my face that pop out if I do any updos. I just try to tame them with small bobby pins. But if the weather is rainy, like it has been for several weeks now, they frizz out, and can't be held down. Good luck with finding a style,and getting back the lost thickness. Shedding is emotionally traumatic (I have lost half of my circumference, but thankfully, it's growing in thicker than ever).

Vrindi
April 10th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Dutch and French braids, and I've been doing a lot of micro and accent braids, and half-up braids. It keeps the little whispies in line pretty well (although I have escape artist hair).
Love your ballerina wrap!

Lunadriael
April 10th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I think your hair is lovely. The sticky out bits look very soft and romantic to me.

I saw someone link Lilith Moon's videos recently. She has layers in her hair and does french style braids etc. so maybe you could use those kind of styles to capture the shorter lengths if they are bothering you? Something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H4RNAm7aec

She has others though, so you may find something else you can do that you like. Hope this helps.