PDA

View Full Version : I thought my fellow BBB users would be amused...

kittengirl
April 7th, 2013, 05:55 PM
I just found an article on the news "debunking hair myths" and while many of them were true this one particularly amused me. They said that you should by no means brush your hair 100 times a day, and should in fact brush as minimally as possible and above all else avoid using a brush with natural bristles as this will cause friction in the scalp which will lead to cuticle damage and breakage.
I could understand this being true for curlies but they are saying this for everyone and I just found it funny. My hair seems to love my BBB and doesn't seem to be suffering. Just thought I'd share. :p

jacqueline101
April 7th, 2013, 05:57 PM
That's different my hair loves my boar bristle brush.

Mommyof4
April 7th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Hmm... I have wurls and waves, and my hair still loves BBB...

spirals
April 7th, 2013, 06:23 PM
When it comes to full-on curly hair, yeah, a BBB is a bad idea. But for everyone else it seems to be a healthy habit. All it would give me is cotton-candy hair.

Redhead Rebel
April 7th, 2013, 06:52 PM
My hair is 2b/3a, I decide to try my grandmas BBB afew months ago. . .OMG never again the resulting splits were terrible!

dwell_in_safety
April 7th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I recently bought a BB paddle brush at Sally's. It's been a couple weeks of 100 strokes upside down every night, and my hair is looking better for it. Keeps it looking fresh. *shrug*

kittengirl
April 7th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I can certainly see where curly hair would hate the brushing. Mine is only slightly wavy and loves it. I just found it funny that this article thinks brushes with natural bristles are so bad. I feel like the person who wrote this article would be shocked and horrified by the LHC! :)

Lamb
April 7th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Very early in my LHC journey, I tried using a BBB. It was a disaster. Very fine, 2c/3a hair and BBB do not a good combo make! I bought a good quality BBB, was gentle, oiled etc - only for the brush to snag, rip, torture my poor hair.
My hair is short now, and I'm no longer trying to grow it long (personal and health reasons), but when it's dry I can't even get a comb through it let alone a BBB!

I've often wondered if those ladies in pictures from the early 1900s, with wonderfully frizzy hair, had my hair type treated to 100 strokes of BBB 365 days a year all their lives. It would explain all the volume and the texture, even without the false hair thrown in!

Syaoransbear
April 7th, 2013, 09:33 PM
I actually agree, although I don't agree with natural bristles being a problem. I think minimal manipulation of hair is best, and I do agree that you should minimize friction and brush as little as possible. Unnecessarily playing with your hair is discouraged, so I don't see why unnecessary brushing wouldn't be discouraged either.