PDA

View Full Version : Are we on the verge of another crash?

Quixii
April 7th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Lately the site has been a bit slower than usual for me, and occasionally I'll click a thread and get the dreaded "Database error" page. For now, it seems that if I refresh the page, the database error goes away. But that's how the site was before the last big crash.

I just want to know how worried we should be. :scared:

In2wishin
April 7th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I have had no issues and I check in several times a day. Maybe something is slowing down your computer?

jeanniet
April 7th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I really haven't had any issues, Quixii. My internet isn't all that great (satellite, yay), but I can't say it's been slower than usual.

physicschick
April 7th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I hope not! :scared: It's been slow for me too, though I haven't gotten database errors yet.

Nae
April 7th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Slow over here too, but no errors. It is just pokey.

ravenreed
April 7th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Slow and error-y for me. I sometimes wait quite a while before a thread I clicked on is done loading.

kpzra
April 7th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Slow and error-y for me. I sometimes wait quite a while before a thread I clicked on is done loading.

Same here. At first I thought it was the global DDOS thing for the speed issue but the database errors have been happening more and more. This is on laptops, desktops, and tablets at several location (not just my house). Other times it works just fine with nothing having changed here.

Carolyn
April 7th, 2013, 08:53 PM
It's very very slow for me but no database errors yet. It's slower today than it was yesterday.

ravenreed
April 7th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Ya, it is is sporadic for me too.

Same here. At first I thought it was the global DDOS thing for the speed issue but the database errors have been happening more and more. This is on laptops, desktops, and tablets at several location (not just my house). Other times it works just fine with nothing having changed here.

BrightEyes
April 7th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I haven't gotten any database errors. But it has been very slow for me.

MsBubbles
April 8th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I've noticed people have started double-posting like crazy, probably because they forgot they clicked 'send' and their cursor wasn't showing any kind of progress motion, so they clicked it again. When it seems to stall out after I've clicked send, I usually open a new tab real quick to make sure it posted. I have had to do that a lot lately in the past 2 weeks.

Majala
April 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I don't get database error, but it happens quite often that the forum just won't load. Or I can browse the forum for a few minutes and then pages just don't load anymore and I can't access forum for a while. After I clean cookies/cache I can sometimes access forum again straight away, but usually I have to wait for a while.

Indigo Girl
April 8th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I couldn't get on all afternoon...

ouseljay
April 8th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Heh. Ditto Indigo Girl.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 8th, 2013, 08:21 PM
I couldn't get on this morning....

neko_kawaii
April 8th, 2013, 08:22 PM
I blame Jeanniet (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=100439). *giggle*

EdG
April 8th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I don't have any inside knowledge of the cause of LHC's outages, but it wouldn't surprise me if this were a case of the vBulletin/MySQL software not being able to handle the mountain of data we have created over the past five years.

Software doesn't always scale well with increasing amounts of data. Rather than import the old board's data into the new board, it might have been better to archive posts from 2008-2012, in the same way that 2007 and earlier posts were archived.

I don't administer this place, so I don't know for sure what is happening. I have, though, seen software grind to a halt when the data sizes crossed a certain threshold.
Ed

Quixii
April 8th, 2013, 08:58 PM
I also couldn't get on today until now. :(

rowie
April 8th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I also couldn't get on today until now. :(

Me too! I'm glad it's up and running. I better start replying to my favorite threads just in case.

jeanniet
April 8th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I blame Jeanniet (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=100439). *giggle*

Hey! :slap:

Actually, I couldn't get on this afternoon either, so maybe it was me. :bigtongue:

Allychan
April 8th, 2013, 11:17 PM
I couldn't get on for a couple of hours this morning too

Seeshami
April 8th, 2013, 11:28 PM
I couldn't sign on for the two hours between work and dance class

Miriela
April 9th, 2013, 12:57 AM
For some reason, I've been having WAY more trouble in Firefox than in Chrome. There are a handful of websites in FF that have been loading extremely slowly or not at all, but they load totally fine in Chrome. I have no idea why. :shrug:

DavidN
April 9th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Although I have not seen any database errors, at times I have noticed that the site is very slow, especially early in the morning Atlantic time.

browneyedsusan
April 9th, 2013, 05:26 AM
I couldn't get on yesterday afternoon or evening. :(

longNred
April 9th, 2013, 06:30 AM
I got "server couldn't be found" for most of yesterday.

Gumball
April 9th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I got news that yesterday we were undergoing hosting maintenance which brought the site down. Unfortunately it seems the host, whichever it is, doesn't have a splash to alert a visitor that said maintenance was going on, so that's why the server was all AWOL yesterday. :)

I've noticed the slowdown, too, but I have seen a speed increase, moderately, since it came back up yesterday (for me) evening.

In terms of some database issues such as the Articles section, or missing bits like the Reviews, don't take those as a sign of impending doom. Unfortunately, those are on the back burner and may not get fixed soon if at all due to difficulties the development staff had when doing the migration/upgrading.

With that all said, hi everyone. :) You're all still amazing, all of you, and I, and we, are glad you're still here! :flower:

ouseljay
April 9th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks Gumball, that's nice to know. Come to think of it, things do seem to be faster this morning, especially compared to right after it came back last night.

lapushka
April 9th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Yesterday afternoon until late last night, the site just vanished. Page could not be found errors all over.

Quixii
April 9th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I got news that yesterday we were undergoing hosting maintenance which brought the site down. Unfortunately it seems the host, whichever it is, doesn't have a splash to alert a visitor that said maintenance was going on, so that's why the server was all AWOL yesterday. :)

I've noticed the slowdown, too, but I have seen a speed increase, moderately, since it came back up yesterday (for me) evening.

In terms of some database issues such as the Articles section, or missing bits like the Reviews, don't take those as a sign of impending doom. Unfortunately, those are on the back burner and may not get fixed soon if at all due to difficulties the development staff had when doing the migration/upgrading.

With that all said, hi everyone. :) You're all still amazing, all of you, and I, and we, are glad you're still here! :flower:
Thanks for the update. :flower:

I am noticing that the site seems faster this morning! Not sure if that's just my internet or the site itself, but I'll take it. :)

And thanks! You're awesome too. :bluesmile

EdG
April 9th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks, Gumball, for the explanation.
Ed

Sarahlabyrinth
April 9th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks for letting us know, Gumball. :)

Indigo Girl
April 9th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Thank you, Gumball! :flower:

Kaelee
April 10th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I haven't had any issues at all except the occasional error when I'm on my phone and well...it's my phone. :lol: Awesome as it is, I don't expect it to work as well as my laptop.

Natalia
April 10th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I havent encountered that issue but i thought my keyboard was going out when i was typing on here and having alot of issues recently. Turns out its just LHC everything else i type in works fine. The boards have also eaten ALOT of my replies. It goes through and shows me the post as if it worked but then i refresh the page and poof! People thought i was ignoring them i wasn the board just didnt actually publish the reply