PDA

View Full Version : Oils shown to penetrate the hair

Liluri
March 18th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I know that people have seen the Beauty Brains article about oil here (http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/05/14/two-natural-oils-that-make-your-hair-shiny-and-strong/).

I'm wondering if anyone's already started mixing these oils and if you have an idea about which oils to mix or in what ratios please?

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Just play around with them and see what happens?

I usually just use Coconut oil because i tend to use ones with added goodies (dabur vatika, hesh bhringraj) but i've used avocado oil in the past and found it very good. I often add a bit to my henna mix and DT's.

I find it odd that they say Jojoba doesn't penetrate because quite a few times i've overoiled a bit at night with it and put it in a bun and gone to sleep but in the morning when i've taken my bun out any oilyness has gone.

icydove
March 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I think we discussed this particular Beauty Brains article on the former LHC. The study they reference does not appear to be accurate. Here is a summary of the article: http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/11413497 (registration is free). It only mentions coconut oil and mineral oil. It is possible they tested more oils and they didn't make it into the summary :shrug: However, the title of the article is "Secondary ion mass spectrometric investigation of penetration of coconut and mineral oils into human hair fibers: relevance to hair damage."

I would love to see the actual study they are referencing, and if I remember correctly, ktani (I think) contacted them to try to find out about the discrepancy. To my knowledge, they never replied.

Celebrian
March 18th, 2008, 03:42 PM
icydove, is this the study you refer to on the Beauty Brains Blog?

'Scientists at the Textile Research (J. Cosmet.Sci 52, 169-184, 2001) tested Olive oil, Avocado oil, Meadowfoam seed oil, Sunflower oil, and Jojoba oil. Their results showed that straight chain glycerides like olive oil easily penetrate into the hair. Polyunsaturated oils , like Jojoba oil, are more open in their structure so they don’t pass through the layers of cuticles very well...'

It's under 'Two Natural oils that make your hair shiny and strong'.

Anje
March 18th, 2008, 03:46 PM
The researchers apparently also did several other papers with different oils.
Original abstract on NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&orig_db=pubmed&term=J.%20Cosmet.Sci%2052%2C%20169-184%2C%202001&cmd=&cmd_current=) (No registration needed)
2003 abstract adding sunflower oil (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA)
2005 abstract mentioning olive oil (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16258695?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA)

sapphire-o
March 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I've been using a blend for heavy oiling. It's castor oil, avocado oil and coconut oil mixed together. I don't have exact proportions. It feels very nice on the hair. :)

icydove
March 18th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Celebrian, the study cited by the Beauty Brains, J. Cosmet.Sci 52, 169-184, 2001, only mentions coconut oil and mineral oil in its summary. I don't know where The Beauty Brains got the info on the other oils, but it wasn't the study they cited. Once again, I'm not looking at the actual journal, so it is possible they used other oils. However, based on the title of the study, it wouldn't have made any sense.

Mahars
March 18th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure about the discrepency, but I can tell you that for my hair, coconut oil and olive oil work better together than alone. For heavy oilings, I take a dab of coconut oil (still hard) in the palm of my hand, put a few drops of olive oil on top of it, rub my hands together to warm the coconut oil and mix them together, and then apply on slightly damp hair before bed. It immediately softens my hair and gives it a pliable buttery texture. In the morning, my hair feels softer than with just coconut or just olive alone. I'm not sure if everyone will have the same results, but I am pleasantly surprised and plan to use both oils together for my heavy oilings.

Anje
March 19th, 2008, 06:38 AM
icydove, I don't suppose I can get a copy of that article, can I? My university doesn't have a subscription, so I've only been able to grab the abstracts.

icydove
March 19th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Anje, I'm like you. I only have a copy of the abstracts via the Internet, so I'm not sure what the actual article says. The largest universities near me do not have it, either. :(

Deliciosa
March 19th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I dont know and i dont think if you can generalize that topic to the thesis "coconutoil is good for everyone"
for the clearification of common thinking, jojoba is not an oil it is a wax look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jojoba)
so Jojoba will react differently with your hair.
For me for example coconutoil or oliveoil does not work at all, it makes myhair even drier. I normally take 50:50 Jojoba and Macadamia. I was testing both oils seperately and strangely allthough jojoba based on this research isnt penetrating, the amount of oil i was using foran oil pre-wash magically disappeared.

Celebrian
March 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Celebrian, the study cited by the Beauty Brains, J. Cosmet.Sci 52, 169-184, 2001, only mentions coconut oil and mineral oil in its summary. I don't know where The Beauty Brains got the info on the other oils, but it wasn't the study they cited. Once again, I'm not looking at the actual journal, so it is possible they used other oils. However, based on the title of the study, it wouldn't have made any sense.

Ah, I see. No I haven't seen the actual journal either. It's not very scientific or academically sound to 'stretch' a study beyond its contents, is it? And as you say, the title of the BB piece makes no sense in regard to what they actually say.

I do think it's important to take Beauty Brains with a little pinch of salt anyway, as I notice that some of their observations can be quite personal and rather sweeping at times - if you know what I mean?

ChloeDharma
March 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I do think it's important to take Beauty Brains with a little pinch of salt anyway, as I notice that some of their observations can be quite personal and rather sweeping at times - if you know what I mean?

I'm glad someone else has said this.....i've read a few of the things there and felt they got it either wrong or not quite right.

Deliciosa
March 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
*shaking hands*
wonderful. i am sooo releaved that there are some people are the same skeptical then me :D at least testing is the best what you can do on your own...so be your own labrat ;)

ChloeDharma
March 21st, 2008, 06:00 PM
*shaking hands*
wonderful. i am sooo releaved that there are some people are the same skeptical then me :D at least testing is the best what you can do on your own...so be your own labrat ;)

One thing you definately pick up here is realising that there really isn't a guaranteed one size fits all with hair. Like some people (me) their hair adores oil.......then other people can experiment with all different types, methods, etc and find their hair just hates it.
Same with protein, cones etc.

Deliciosa
March 22nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Soooooooooooo *please insert some curses of your own gusto ;)*right

ktani
March 22nd, 2008, 01:23 PM
icydove

You are right - they never did respond to the fact that there was something amiss in that article.

You were the one that uncovered the fact that their reference was incorrect - I emailed them and - nothing.

I also prefer to read the source article mentioned on such sites.

Deliciosa
March 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
:D but i honestly have to admit that i gave coconutoil a last "chance" when i was "oiling" my ends after my day today...lets see