PDA

View Full Version : simple no poo ideas for blond highlights?

smilla
April 5th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I was wondering if there are very simple things I could do to go no poo yet give blond highlights. Usually I buy shampoo with chamomile, and that seems to keep my hair blond-ish. I really don't enjoy cooking or recipes, so I know I won't do anything more complicated that mixing something in a liter bottle and leaving it in the shower for the week. I'm really a wash my hair and leave it alone sort - it air dries (which takes over an hour!) and all I do is usually brush it once a day (when I wake up to get the knots out before I wash it).

My hair is fine and tends to be frizzy, it does get wavy, but if I were to try to style it, it won't hold anything. It tends to get greasy in the front framing my face and ears by the end of the day, which is pretty gross.

So I've been experimenting with the no poo thing, after reading some posts here and blogs on the net.

First I tried a couple types of bar soap (I used the same stuff I wash my body with, One With Nature Vanilla Oatmeal Soap, Sappho Hill Soap, vegetable oil based). I even tried a Dr Bronners Castille Soap Knockoff that was supposed to be used as a body wash and shampoo. There was a lot of buildup and it felt disgusting, even after trying ACV or Citric Acid Rinses. A couple of times I had to shampoo it out. I think the water in Seattle is supposed to be soft.

I've also tried Water Only with acv or citric acid. They actually make my scalp more oily, so that wasn't too brilliant, I suppose, though the ACV made my hair soft and smooth so it was hard to give up.

I did find that aloe vera gel controls the frizzies and helps with the oil (keeps hair off face, and seems to absorb the oil).

I am also dealing with allergies, so I would love to wash my hair at night and not find it already oily in the morning.

My apologies for the length of the post, it got longer than intended.

tldr; Simple, straightforward no poo recs for blond highlights, fine frizzy hair, dry ends, oily around face? Soap Bar + ACV or Citric Acid not successful.

Carolyn
April 5th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I would suggest white vinegar instead of ACV for blonde hair. ACV can add unwanted reddish tones. Blonde hair tends to show the greasies more than darker hair so if you don't like the greasy look you may not have a lot of options. CO with a cheapie conditioner like WR or Suave works well for me for no poo days. I suppose you could do something to add chamomile to a CO conditioner or do some kind of a final rinse with chamomile in it.

HairFaerie
April 5th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Yes! Chamomile tea rinse!!!

two_wheels
April 9th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I remember reading a thread about how someone put cinnamon in their conditioner for fun and accidentally lightened their hair...
here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-2125.html) it is!

It might be irritating though, I'd do a test on wrist first before potentially spoiling a whole bottle of conditioner

kdaniels8811
April 9th, 2013, 07:01 PM
What about cassia?