PDA

View Full Version : Method for trimming splits

minxe
April 4th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Browsing Pinterest last night, I happened upon this method (http://www.ringfingertanline.com/2012/09/27/how-to-trim-split-ends-home/) for trimming off splits. I tried it today, and it's amazing how much of a difference it's made in my hair. I'd been putting off having thorough S&D session for a few months because it takes sooooo long to go through all my hair, but this takes no time at all. I went through each twist around three times to make sure I got as much as I could, and it took less than an hour go do my entire head.

Has anyone else tried this? With actual shears, of course, unlike the girl in the pictures. :wink:

lapushka
April 4th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I used to do that many many years ago. You have to be careful not to snip off pieces that are perfectly fine.

jacqueline101
April 4th, 2013, 05:28 PM
No I haven't but it sounds neat.

cathair
April 4th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I have tried it, but I must have too many split ends or something. I can never get enough of them this way, some of them are always stuck in the middle of the twisted hair. I also find if the ends of my hair are dry they sometimes snap off when I twist them in small sections, but that's probably not a problem for everyone. I find it easier to take a small section of hair and fold it back on itself, so it makes a loose loop, then work down the length of the hair. It kind of has the same effect with the ends popping out, but without twisting.

minxe
April 5th, 2013, 12:40 AM
I have tried it, but I must have too many split ends or something. I can never get enough of them this way, some of them are always stuck in the middle of the twisted hair. I also find if the ends of my hair are dry they sometimes snap off when I twist them in small sections, but that's probably not a problem for everyone. I find it easier to take a small section of hair and fold it back on itself, so it makes a loose loop, then work down the length of the hair. It kind of has the same effect with the ends popping out, but without twisting.
That's really interesting! Thanks for sharing :)

melusine963
April 5th, 2013, 07:19 AM
I find it easier to take a small section of hair and fold it back on itself, so it makes a loose loop, then work down the length of the hair. It kind of has the same effect with the ends popping out, but without twisting.

I might have to try this method next time I s&d. It sounds more efficient than what I'm currently doing.

Cristina84
April 5th, 2013, 07:22 AM
And what about this https://sites.google.com/site/habioku/about-hair/self-trimming ?
is the same but with another step

neko_kawaii
April 5th, 2013, 07:52 AM

This is pretty much what I do and with small sections it allows me to spot the hairs that are damaged mid-shaft that would get trapped and hidden in a twist, plus they are much easier to extract when no untwisting is necessary.

Anje
April 5th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I've tried it, but it doesn't seem like it gets a lot of the stuff that is locked away in the middle of the twist. What works really well for me is trimming at a fuzzy braid that I've worn all day. Splits pop out of those like crazy!

DarkCurls
April 5th, 2013, 12:10 PM
I section my hair but don't twist -- I just go through my hair. As I have layers, I find twisting makes many strands pop out -- not all of them are splits, and a lot of splits don't pop out.

But I know many people have success with this method. I wish I could do it, it would cut down on so much time. But it's just not effective enough for me.

heidi w.
April 5th, 2013, 12:13 PM
There is no mention of the style of cutting the splits, nor of a link, so I can't see what you're doing at all. If you're using any form of fire to trim the splits, that's a bad idea. Really bad. It's a method I heard was used in the past, and some people have used it in the present day. Twisting is a normal practice of S&Ding, and cutting up the sides, but my concern is it cuts at an angle then.
heidi w.

patienceneeded
April 5th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Yeah, that's how I've always trimmed splits in between salon appointments. Works pretty well. It doesn't get everything, but there is no fail-proof method other than tediously looking at every. single. hair. In fact, I'm planning on doing this tonight after DD6 goes to bed. DH has a Lacrosse game and I'll be able to focus.

Sharysa
April 5th, 2013, 11:16 PM
I do this, only I tend to use finger-width sections since I have so much gorram hair. That means I take about two hours per session as opposed to one hour for the article's writer.

On the plus side, it's pretty damn effective, I only S&D once a month so I might as well make it count, and my hair looks great.

spidermom
April 6th, 2013, 09:16 AM
This doesn't work at all for me. The splits have kind of a Velcro texture that causes them to stick to the twisted hairs. Like Anje, I check my braids after a few hours.

Mesmerise
April 6th, 2013, 05:38 PM
I read about that method some years ago (well... decades ago really!). It seems similar to that method where you twist the hair and then burn off the sticky outy bits (what's that called again?!). I think it's a valid method of removing splits, and probably does a good job if you have lots and therefore lots of the little sticky outy ends are split. However, I don't get that many splits, and therefore it works just as well to S&D (besides which, I don't have much hair at the length so a big S&D session for me is not all that big...)

Sharysa
April 6th, 2013, 06:53 PM
I read about that method some years ago (well... decades ago really!). It seems similar to that method where you twist the hair and then burn off the sticky outy bits (what's that called again?!).

I call that BURNING YOUR HAIR. Why would anyone do that on purpose? It does NOT leave a clean edge, there's a mild to high risk of burning yourself, and then there's the horrible burnt-hair smell that's going to stick around the house for a day or two.

NymphSpirit
April 6th, 2013, 07:35 PM
There is no mention of the style of cutting the splits, nor of a link, so I can't see what you're doing at all. If you're using any form of fire to trim the splits, that's a bad idea. Really bad. It's a method I heard was used in the past, and some people have used it in the present day.

I call that BURNING YOUR HAIR. Why would anyone do that on purpose? It does NOT leave a clean edge, there's a mild to high risk of burning yourself, and then there's the horrible burnt-hair smell that's going to stick around the house for a day or two.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all! To try and and change your mind I'll forward you to this blog (http://jardinamayan.blogspot.com.ar/search/label/Anti-fourches), this woman's hair is divine and she singes regularily from what I recall (or did, her blog is inactive as of now). I did it once in one section of my hair to try it out and I didn't get splits/white dots in that particular piece of hair for about 6 months. (It's true it doesn't smell good though, I didn't mind it but my mother was really bothered by it)

Seeshami
April 6th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I do the same thing with my braids a lot of the time.

Sharysa
April 7th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Unfortunately I haven't taken French since high-school, but I have looked up the burning method and apparently you can use this thread's method of S&D with a candle instead of scissors.

I just don't like the idea of burning my hair on purpose because when I did that on accident a couple times, it was always REALLY obvious. Coarse hair plus burned ends? Ick. And according to Google, the burning method is a bit tricky anyway, so yeah--if it works for other people, that's great, but I'll stick to just cutting my splits with scissors.