PDA

View Full Version : Sooo...How much do YOU know about the LHC?

Luminaria
April 4th, 2013, 12:23 AM
I have been an LHC member for several months now. I have noticed members mentioning "LHC methods" in many threads without any specifics. So, I began to wonder about these "methods" (Is a certain method of washing hair? A certain way of combing? Treatments? Styles? Oiling? Cutting?). Then, I began to question what I really know about LHC haircare. There is so much information on here and it feels as though I've barely scratched the surface of what there is to know. So, what I ask is to enlighten me. How much have you learned as a member of LHC so far? What do you consider to be essential LHC methods that members should know? Which methods have worked best for you? If you are an LHC veteran, are there any super secret tips that (fairly) new members might not know about? Also, how was the old LHC like? What are the Long Haired Knights? Lastly, what does it mean to you to be a LHC member?

cathair
April 4th, 2013, 02:10 AM
When people say LHC methods, I assume they mean the articles? Which have not been online for a while. I would really like to read them, I hope they come back up sometime. That's about all I can tell you really, I hope someone else can tell you more :D

door72067
April 4th, 2013, 05:45 AM
I've learned that my hair likes baby oil and it doesn't leave me greasy (unless I slather it on for a deep treatment)

my take on the LHC methods is stay away from heat styling, stretch washes (if possible), treat hair gently and wear it in *protective* hairstyles

it can also mean staying away from 'cones and sulphates but that one seems to be subjective (I found sulphates and parabens are my enemy but some 'cones are fine)

someone else will have to explain the Long Haired Knights...I only sort of know that it's just a fun name someone gives you but I don't know who or how to go about it

I came here to learn about henna then promptly decided the commitment was not for me but stayed because I was learning new ways to care for my hair...in the meantime I decided to grow out my color and embrace what nature gave me (mid-brown, with sparklies and curly when I let it alone)

I also like the hairstyle of the month thread...I've learned some cool things in there

Helenae
April 4th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Different things work for different people and I suggest trying various methods first. I have dry, frizzy 2c/3a very voluminous waist length hair. This is what works for me:

1) Diluted SLS-free Shampoo & lots of conditioner with Silicones.
2) Coconut oilings on my hair on the night before I wash my hair.
3) Sweet almond oil as a hair serum because it's not too oily.
4) Occasionally I do catnip soaks on my hair an hour before I wash my hair too.
5) I brush gently with a wooden wide tooth comb, and now I'm trying to get into the habit of braiding my hair when I'm not going out.
6) I used to bun my hair at night, but now I'm again, trying to braid it because I get less tangles that way in the morning.
7) I take Biotin, Bamboo Silica & a Multivitamin. I don't feel it makes my hair grow longer but my new growth is incredibly soft and beautiful. I shed 80% less now so my hair is stronger, & I'm seeing new growth around my hair line. My nails grow quicker and stronger too.

Things that didn't work for me were: olive oilings, apple cider vinegar rinses, deep conditioning treatments with heat caps.

Hope that helps :)

Long_hair_bear
April 4th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Well, one thing that I've learned that you need to keep in mind is that not everything works for everyone. One "LHC method" may work for one person and be terrible for another. Case in point: my hair loves coconut oil as a prewash (I learned that idea here). However, others use olive oil or another kind of oil as a prewash. Some use coconut oil as a leave in. Some oil their hair post wash. I can't as my hair hates it. The methods are there as guidelines, but theres no set rules; its whatever works for you. Its alot of trial and error.

From the LHC, I've learned a great many wonderful things that work for my hair, with the above coconut oil being one. Others include the existence of the tangle teezer brush and Ficcare clips, wearing updos to protect my hair, different updo styles, and sleeping in a braid and sleep cap. Certain way of combing? ALWAYS start at the ends! The best thing I've learned from the LHC? All the coolest hair toy makers!

It means alot to me to be an lhc member. Not only has the LHC helped me and is helping me achieve my dream of having long, healthy hair, but I've also made alot of good friends on the site. Sure, some of them are online, but sometimes an online friend is cooler than a real life friend. I've also made friends with several online hair toy makers such as Shirl Ann from Ravenscroft and Kelly from Aliarose. Some I've also met in real life: GRU, excentricat, & Nae all came to my dad's house for a meet at Christmas time. I've met Fencai many times at different festivals. I hope to meet Kaelee some day as we live semi close. We had a blast talking about hair and looking at each other's hair toys. The LHC has won me many friends, online and off. :) I'd say thats a worthy cause!

vindo
April 4th, 2013, 09:00 AM
1. You can grow your hair 3 inches over night if you just use enough monistat, or sulfur, or yeast [insert product of choice here]
2. A ponytail under 4.5 inches is thin.
3. Hair shorter than waist is not long, Tailbone length is barely long enough ;)
4. Not getting more than an inch of growth a month can result into a panic attack, getting an average growth of 0.4" a month is unheard of.
5. The more protein the better

Jk.... :lol:

One very important thing I learned here is that the advice, although all very friendly,often differs. That is because we have so many users with different experiences.
Some of the advice is part myth and part truth, some things are more "fantastic" than reality.*
But we all need to see for ourselves what works best for us.

Some great advice on LHC that can be applied to everyone is:

- Handle your hair gently!
- use a gentle shampoo!
- oil is natural moisture
- Don't use chemical dye
- No heat!
- Use a hair friendly comb and hair toys
- Wear you hair up often in protective hair friendly styles
- Eat a healthy diet, live a healthy lifestyle, sleep enough
- S&D and small trims work (if you need them)
- Wash less often if possible

I am sure there is a few more, but I found these to be the most significant things about LHC hair care. :)*

Naiadryade
April 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Great thread idea!

"LHC Methods" is kind of a funny phrase because of how accepted the concept of YMMV is here. There are different strokes for different folks and that's cool. I think there are a few LHC methods that are almost universally helpful, then there are a lot more LHC methods that are much more pick-and-choose for individuals.

I would say the almost-universal LHC methods include:
- Gentle detangling methods--wide-toothed seamless combs, tangle teezers, finger-combing only... always starting with the ends, and paddle brushes are the devil!
- Protective updos at least at strategic moments, if not all the time, using gentle hair toys (not elastics)
- Using some kind of oil as some part of your haircare routine
- Avoid heat, bleach and most dyes
- If you're going to trim, do it with sharp hair-only scissors
- Knowing when your hair wants moisture or protein and giving it what it wants
- Clarifying when you need to

And the pick-what-works-for-you LHC methods include things like: (things I do are italicized)
- Boar bristle brushes
- No cones/no sulfates
- ACV or other acidic rinses
- Henna, indigo, cassia
- Microtrimming
- No trimming
- Search & Destroy trimming
- DIY, homemade, possibly all-natural haircare
- Stretching washes or washing infrequently
- Water-only and sebum-only methods
- Conditioner-only washing and condition-wash-condition
- Various specific oils used in various specific ways: pre-wash, post-wash, on wet hair, on dry hair, on the scalp...
- Treating your hair to deep treatments regularly, such as the SMT but there are many others
- Scalp massage and scritching
- Heat-free curl/wave/straightening methods

That's what I can think of right now. I'm sure I'm missing some things!

Being an LHC member, at least a well-read LHC member, makes me feel like I have a certain amount of expertise about haircare. I am able to share this expertise with my family, friends and loved ones and sometimes they take my advice and it helps them. It also keeps my dedication to growing long hair strong because I feel like I am part of something, like there are people who support me in that goal even when the people in "real life" couldn't care less.

Long_hair_bear
April 4th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Be cautious about the no cones though as it doesn't work for everyone. I tried no cones for a month.... my hair hissed and howled. It didn't end well. :)

jacqueline101
April 4th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I learned my hair is easy going likes a lot of things. I found out its thicker if I keep it in good shape. I like the
Monistat thread.

Calaelen
April 4th, 2013, 11:59 AM
All these answers encompass what I consider LHC methods. Other methods that are very popular here are honey lightening, the smt (super moisturizer from member snowymoon), trimming based on moon cycles, nightblooming's panacea, and far less popular, whale sperm, hair sticks made from human rib bones, and regular highlights :) :p no jokes those threads exist.

Some members disregard the majority super careful, uber natural, treat your hair like antique lace ideals that abound here, and still have fabulous hair.

LHC is also from what I know, one of the safest, nicest sites on the web due to our KNIT rules, and wonderful moderators who keep it all running smoothly. And according to rules. Hair and hair toy addictions abound..lol.

The long haired knights is basically just a little game that gives us something to post as our signatures. On super old LHC, read before my time, I think it was an honor to be included. Nightshade gives out our titles in the thread of the same name in the off topic friendship board.

Welcome to our community! Hope you come to love it here, and learn and grow with us!

kdaniels8811
April 4th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Don't forget catnip tea soaks for split end prevention from our friend Ktani!

ghost
April 4th, 2013, 11:48 PM
(....hair sticks made from human rib bones...) :p no jokes those threads exist.

What, really? Not gonna lie, I sort of want one as long as they're legal!

teal
April 5th, 2013, 12:20 AM
I'd like to think I know lots about the LHC, but the more I read, the deeper the rabbit hole goes! ;)

Truly, though, this place is the reason my hair is as awesome as it is (ahem). I don't know what I would do without the wealth of advice on this board, conveniently available at some god-awful hour once the kids are staying in bed.

ravenreed
April 5th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Just to show how different everyone's hair care is- Heat isn't that terrible for me, I use hair dye regularly, and washing less often dries my hair out terribly, as do gentle shampoos. *shrug*

My best advice is become an expert in your own hair's needs. Everyone's is different.

1. You can grow your hair 3 inches over night if you just use enough monistat, or sulfur, or yeast [insert product of choice here]
2. A ponytail under 4.5 inches is thin.
3. Hair shorter than waist is not long, Tailbone length is barely long enough ;)
4. Not getting more than an inch of growth a month can result into a panic attack, getting an average growth of 0.4" a month is unheard of.
5. The more protein the better

Jk.... :lol:

One very important thing I learned here is that the advice, although all very friendly,often differs. That is because we have so many users with different experiences.
Some of the advice is part myth and part truth, some things are more "fantastic" than reality.*
But we all need to see for ourselves what works best for us.

Some great advice on LHC that can be applied to everyone is:

- Handle your hair gently!
- use a gentle shampoo!
- oil is natural moisture
- Don't use chemical dye
- No heat!
- Use a hair friendly comb and hair toys
- Wear you hair up often in protective hair friendly styles
- Eat a healthy diet, live a healthy lifestyle, sleep enough
- S&D and small trims work (if you need them)
- Wash less often if possible

I am sure there is a few more, but I found these to be the most significant things about LHC hair care. :)*

vindo
April 5th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Just to show how different everyone's hair care is- Heat isn't that terrible for me, I use hair dye regularly, and washing less often dries my hair out terribly, as do gentle shampoos. *shrug*

My best advice is become an expert in your own hair's needs. Everyone's is different.

Hello ravenreed,

I used to dye my hair and for a very long time there was no damage from it. But since hair dye lifts the cuticles to enter your hair shaft, I think we can safely say that no dye is bettER (and for me resulted in an improvement).
Same goes for heat. Some peoples hair can survive, but it does not mean it is the gentlest hair care ;)

As far as the shampoo problem goes. Sometimes when we do have some damage and products can help mask this. The ingredients in certain shampoos like silicones or hydrolyzed wheat protein and many others can make your hair seem smoother and more managable. So if you wash more often that effect will be refreshed often. A lot of gentle natural shampoos do not use these ingredients , so many see a temporary "worsening" of the hairs condition (which is really just how it looks). If your previous product had silicones, they will wash off and some damage underneath will be visible.

So no matter what hair type, a gentle shampoo that dries out the hair as little as possible, is the best way to preserve you hair as virgin as possible. Which is the healthiest state and gives you the chance to grow very long damage free.

Now, some people don't need extremely gentle care, I made it to waist + length with "abuse". But very gentle care is still best, even if some do fine without all these things.
Certain advice is tailored to achieving maximum healthy hair, rather than hair healthy enough to grow to X. :)

ravenreed
April 5th, 2013, 03:15 AM
What is gentle for your hair may be damaging for mine, which was my point. I am currently using Elumen, which doesn't lift the cuticle, but does require me to sit under my hair dryer for about 40 minutes every 5 - 6 weeks. I am not seeing any damage from it whatsoever. I am not convinced that the hair dryer is quite so terrible, especially on cool or warm settings. As for shampoos, my hair does better with CO, but does occasionally benefit from a good old SLS shampooing. The only reason I don't use it regularly is that SLS does bad things for my scalp and skin. I occasionally use Dr. Bronners or something similar on my scalp, but my hair doesn't respond well. I don't use cones (other than what is in the Elumen, which I clarify out the next wash), and my hair abhors protein. I wash every other day because otherwise my ends dry out, and oiling doesn't provide nearly the moisture that simple COing does. Oiling makes my hair linty which adds to tangles and splits, and I am not overly keen on running around with oily looking hair anyway. I do an oiling treatment every few weeks right before washing, but that is it for the oils.

I am not using anything that could possibly mask damage to my hair. I think that having reached fingertip length with no signs of stopping, I am an expert on my own hair condition and needs at this point, and it often and regularly conflicts with LHC standard care. :)

Hello ravenreed,

I used to dye my hair and for a very long time there was no damage from it. But since hair dye lifts the cuticles to enter your hair shaft, I think we can safely say that no dye is bettER (and for me resulted in an improvement).
Same goes for heat. Some peoples hair can survive, but it does not mean it is the gentlest hair care ;)

As far as the shampoo problem goes. Sometimes when we do have some damage and products can help mask this. The ingredients in certain shampoos like silicones or hydrolyzed wheat protein and many others can make your hair seem smoother and more managable. So if you wash more often that effect will be refreshed often. A lot of gentle natural shampoos do not use these ingredients , so many see a temporary "worsening" of the hairs condition (which is really just how it looks). If your previous product had silicones, they will wash off and some damage underneath will be visible.

So no matter what hair type, a gentle shampoo that dries out the hair as little as possible, is the best way to preserve you hair as virgin as possible. Which is the healthiest state and gives you the chance to grow very long damage free.

Now, some people don't need extremely gentle care, I made it to waist + length with "abuse". But very gentle care is still best, even if some do fine without all these things.
Certain advice is tailored to achieving maximum healthy hair, rather than hair healthy enough to grow to X. :)

MaryO
April 5th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Almost everything that is going on on my head right now I learnt on LHC!

Things I do and my hair appreciates: CWC, light oiling and no heat.

I also learnt that benign neglect is seriously a method! ;-) And that LCH'ers are the nicest people on the internet!

woolyleprechaun
April 5th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Theres so many methods on here, and many are not compatible with one another ;) Theres no 'definitive' method, really. You just have to experiment and find what works for you. I think the most prevailent methods are- Treating your hair gently, with protective updos, no heat and no dyes etc and things like oiling, C/O, C/W/C, no-poo, sebum only... you get the drift. Some things that are perfect for others will be awful to you. I've always wanted to love BBBing, but the fact of the matter is, for me, BBB (under any circumstances) leads to a big, poofy, tangled mess. Even with oil *sigh*
Also theres things like indian hair care, which can have wonderful results on some.

vindo
April 5th, 2013, 10:24 AM
What is gentle for your hair may be damaging for mine, which was my point.
That is where we have the misunderstanding. It is not necessarily damaging to your hair, it just does not produce the effects you want which can be due to many factors. That does not make it damaging

I am currently using Elumen, which doesn't lift the cuticle, but does require me to sit under my hair dryer for about 40 minutes every 5 - 6 weeks. I am not seeing any damage from it whatsoever. I am not convinced that the hair dryer is quite so terrible, especially on cool or warm settings.
Cool settings can not create more than slight friction damage and loss of additional moisture. But heat, actual heat can even boil the molecules in the hair. Biologically, it can not be good.
BUT, if your hair is quite resilient and has not shown any damage, that is another story. It just does not mean that this is best for everyone. Just because your hair does not take damage does not mean other women's hair is as resilient.
The recommendations are nothing someone just came up with after feeling they personally do well with it. Studies with a large number of people have been conducted and most don't do well with heat. Be happy you are blessed, but be careful to think it is not damaging to others. :flower:

As for shampoos, my hair does better with CO, but does occasionally benefit from a good old SLS shampooing
Conditioners, depending on the brand, can leave nasty build up. Baking soda would be the natural method to clarify. I don't use conditioners.

I occasionally use Dr. Bronners or something similar on my scalp, but my hair doesn't respond well.
My hair does not either, that is because Dr. Bronners leaves a soap residue and is far different from many natural brand with good ingredients AND good effects like Aubrey Organics, Earthly Delight, SANTE to name a few. Natural shampoos use far less ingredients and the search for one that works well can be a long one.

I don't use cones (other than what is in the Elumen, which I clarify out the next wash), and my hair abhors protein.
Studies we conducted in 2006 actually showed that even cones that supposedly wash out stick around for longer. Over time there can still be silicone build up sadly. Lots of things products claim are not true.

I wash every other day because otherwise my ends dry out, and oiling doesn't provide nearly the moisture that simple COing does. Oiling makes my hair linty which adds to tangles and splits, and I am not overly keen on running around with oily looking hair anyway. I do an oiling treatment every few weeks right before washing, but that is it for the oils.
I am not using anything that could possibly mask damage to my hair. I think that having reached fingertip length with no signs of stopping, I am an expert on my own hair condition and needs at this point, and it often and regularly conflicts with LHC standard care. :)

All that, again, is your personal experience and not necessarily the way someone with more delicate hair can achieve great length and healthy, shiny hair (or fingertip length).
Reverse example: I would have not reached thigh length doing all that, but I did with gentler care.
I have seen comments where users doubted that bleach, or perms or something else is bad, because they personally have not seen any major problems. And by all means they can continue using it, but I would not recommend it to someone who wants to know what is the most gentle way, or what prevents damage, is ideal for brittle hair.

I wash every other day because otherwise my ends dry out, and oiling doesn't provide nearly the moisture that simple COing does

Your ends don't dry out. Hair should always retain the same amount of moisture. I don't want to discuss whether your ends have damage or not. Just know that ends should not "lose" moisture over time to the point of dryness. The moisture content should always be the same. having better effects with CO is due to other inci that create a slip to the hair, but it does not mean oil delivers less moisture. That said not everyone's hair can absorb and retain moisture the same way (due to open cuticles or build up for example), but our scalps still produce sebum so oil is the moisture treatment number one.

Examples are great, and by all means keep up what works for your hair. But if we do go by examples I think it is best to stick to the average person, or better see how much can be done for someone ill with actual hair problems. ;)

ravenreed
April 5th, 2013, 12:46 PM
1) AO does horrifying things to my hair, as do every other natural shampoo I have tried. They are not gentle, they dry out my hair to the point where it feels like straw and I end up with split ends. Additionally, friends of mine that use those shampoos have dry hair. I can SEE how dry their hair is. Perhaps it is the climate here, which leads me to-

2) I live in a desert with very, very low humidity, my ends do indeed dry out, as do my lips, and skin.

3) I only started using Elumen a couple of months ago, and prior to that, hadn't used cones in four or five year. When I clarify, I use baking soda in diluted shampoo.

4) This is the LONG hair forum, not the terminal length forum. Not everyone want to avoid every least little thing that MIGHT possibly cause minimal damage to hair. Additionally, I get very tired of the culture of fear I see where people are terrified by things they read on LHC. I have seen the same picture of hair spray gluing hair together posted over and over as a caution against hair spray. I read the source article, and that picture was a week's worth of accumulation without the hairspray being washed out in between. In fact, hairspray is less damaging to my hair than LHC approved aloe vera gel, which gives me splits on every hair within a couple of days of using it.

5) You cannot know what works for me. You cannot tell me that my methods are wrong. You cannot even tell me what works for most people or I wouldn't see so many LHC posts of people trying to figure out why various LHC methods aren't working for them, or worse cause them damage. I would argue that there is no average person here on LHC. Everyone needs to be the expert in their own hair care.

That is where we have the misunderstanding. It is not necessarily damaging to your hair, it just does not produce the effects you want which can be due to many factors. That does not make it damaging

Cool settings can not create more than slight friction damage and loss of additional moisture. But heat, actual heat can even boil the molecules in the hair. Biologically, it can not be good.
BUT, if your hair is quite resilient and has not shown any damage, that is another story. It just does not mean that this is best for everyone. Just because your hair does not take damage does not mean other women's hair is as resilient.
The recommendations are nothing someone just came up with after feeling they personally do well with it. Studies with a large number of people have been conducted and most don't do well with heat. Be happy you are blessed, but be careful to think it is not damaging to others. :flower:

Conditioners, depending on the brand, can leave nasty build up. Baking soda would be the natural method to clarify. I don't use conditioners.

My hair does not either, that is because Dr. Bronners leaves a soap residue and is far different from many natural brand with good ingredients AND good effects like Aubrey Organics, Earthly Delight, SANTE to name a few. Natural shampoos use far less ingredients and the search for one that works well can be a long one.

Studies we conducted in 2006 actually showed that even cones that supposedly wash out stick around for longer. Over time there can still be silicone build up sadly. Lots of things products claim are not true.

All that, again, is your personal experience and not necessarily the way someone with more delicate hair can achieve great length and healthy, shiny hair (or fingertip length).
Reverse example: I would have not reached thigh length doing all that, but I did with gentler care.
I have seen comments where users doubted that bleach, or perms or something else is bad, because they personally have not seen any major problems. And by all means they can continue using it, but I would not recommend it to someone who wants to know what is the most gentle way, or what prevents damage, is ideal for brittle hair.

Your ends don't dry out. Hair should always retain the same amount of moisture. I don't want to discuss whether your ends have damage or not. Just know that ends should not "lose" moisture over time to the point of dryness. The moisture content should always be the same. having better effects with CO is due to other inci that create a slip to the hair, but it does not mean oil delivers less moisture. That said not everyone's hair can absorb and retain moisture the same way (due to open cuticles or build up for example), but our scalps still produce sebum so oil is the moisture treatment number one.

Examples are great, and by all means keep up what works for your hair. But if we do go by examples I think it is best to stick to the average person, or better see how much can be done for someone ill with actual hair problems. ;)

patienceneeded
April 5th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I have learned that every statement made online can be argued by anyone for any reason. :smile:

The biggest thing about LHC? There is always something more to learn. I guess that applies to life too!

Unicorn
April 6th, 2013, 08:15 AM
@Ravenreed, you may already know this, but just in case... Aloe Vera is a humectant, so living in the desert means it would draw water from your hair rather than the surrounding [dry] air. The same is true of glycerine and any other humectants.

Unicorn

Unicorn
April 6th, 2013, 08:21 AM
whoop! Double post.

Buddaphlyy
April 6th, 2013, 09:36 AM
There is no such thing as "LHC methods". Healthy hair care practices transcend this board and hair types and textures. And if there is any absolute rule, it would probably be what works for some won't work for all. The only thing I exclusively see talked about here are SMT and deep oiling. And maybe Feye's trimming method. I see that talked about on other forums, but I first heard it talked about here.

ravenreed
April 6th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Yep, I figured this out. Thanks though! It is also true for a lot of people during the winter months because heaters also dry out the air, which might be why so many people have trouble with their routines suddenly not working for them.

@Ravenreed, you may already know this, but just in case... Aloe Vera is a humectant, so living in the desert means it would draw water from your hair rather than the surrounding [dry] air. The same is true of glycerine and any other humectants.

Unicorn

MsBubbles
April 6th, 2013, 11:51 AM
I've been here for 5 years! Wow. The most useful things I learned, long-term that have enabled me to grow my thin, fine hair to hip with no signs of terminal length yet, are:

1) What my hair type is (this helped by reading what worked for others with my hair type). Fia's hairtyping system.
2) Feye's self-trim method. I owe Feye a lot of money since dumping salon hair cuts, and tears avoided from bad ones.
3) The existence of Aubrey Organics shampoos (I would never have tried them otherwise). My hair seems to like it.
4) Scalp washing method. Totally saved my ends as I have a naturally and incorrigibly greasy scalp.
5) Chamomile tea rinses (thanks to Shell). Gives my hair shine and strength.
6) I also learned here - yes, yes I did - that cones are not evil, and often a godsend to us fine-haireds, prone to tangles (although before I came here I didn't even know of the existence of silicones in conditioner).

Mayflower
April 6th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I'm more of a lurker than a poster. There are some people who seem to be able to write quality posts in every thread --me, not so much. I always think I have nothing valuable to add. :p

I found this forum by researching about henna and indigo. Lots of awesome information, but I thought it was kinda weird that there was a whole forum dedicated to (growing) long hair. After a few months of lurking around I decided to stay and to grow my hair to waist. I reached waist and wanted hip, I have reached hip just now and am thinking of tailbone, haha. The curse of the LHC.

Things I've learned here: ACV rinses, everything about henna and indigo, S&D, tangle teezer (thank the lord) and how important conditioner, leave-in conditioner and a little bit of coconut oil can be. Also heatless curling methods and a couple of youtube channels about long hair.
Things I've learned and didn't like on my hair: CO washes, silicones, heavy oilings. I'm also not the type to wear my hair in protective styles everyday and don't like much of the braided and other updo's a lot of members here like. I prefer wearing it down or in half-ups or side braids.

One important thing: don't get too obsessive and/or paranoid over hair. It's just hair. Don't give in to the fear of certain things. Blowdrying, dying or wearing it down isn't the end of the world and it isn't the end of your hair. Relax!

jeanniet
April 6th, 2013, 12:31 PM
YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). I think that about covers it! :p

LadyCelestina
April 6th, 2013, 02:35 PM
What I learned on LHC? To google up at least somewhat serious looking "study" on everything I wish to do with my hair.Well I didn't look up anything for water only,but that's just because it sort of gives sense to me plus I do it to stretch my shampooing intervals.

vindo
April 6th, 2013, 03:04 PM
4) This is the LONG hair forum, not the terminal length forum. Not everyone want to avoid every least little thing that MIGHT possibly cause minimal damage to hair. Additionally, I get very tired of the culture of fear I see where people are terrified by things they read on LHC. I have seen the same picture of hair spray gluing hair together posted over and over as a caution against hair spray....In fact, hairspray is less damaging to my hair than LHC approved aloe vera gel, which gives me splits on every hair within a couple of days of using it.

5) You cannot know what works for me. You cannot tell me that my methods are wrong. You cannot even tell me what works for most people.

You are still not quite getting me...:confused:
I never told you that your hair care is wrong. I just corrected the statement that natural gentle detergents in shampoo could cause more damage than SLS. Or that blow drying can not damage hair.
I simply stated that this might work for you (yes I said it works for you in my previous post), but I would advise others to be cautious.

Maybe your hair is not actually made of keratin, or science does not apply to it...dunno :p Lets just agree to disagree.

jojo
April 6th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Ive learnt that certain non contributing members can be down right rude and insulting and yet mods on here turn a blind eye and think its O.K. to totally ignore and dismiss this, ive learnt although we have a code of conduct which allegedly is to promote a happy and friendly community is only applicable to the decent members, ive learnt that well loved and respected members are being told they have 48 hours to resign or they will be banned, ive learnt that the report button is totally there to lure people into a false sense of security because you never get any feedback or response from the mods and ive learnt thati really dont want to be a part of a poxy community that advocates bullying and humiliation from certain members and does nothing to protect those who are decent participators and finially ive leant this community is not worthy of me not the other way round.
Therefore i have a boat and a rod and im going fishing! Thank you to all those who have made my 6 years here memorable!

ravenreed
April 6th, 2013, 03:15 PM
And I am correcting your assumption that those shampoos are gentle for everyone. They are not. Others here on LHC have had trouble with them, just like some have had trouble with CO, WO, BBB, Tangle Teezers, or any thing else you care to pick. Science requires reproducible results, and given how many variables there are for how one's hair might respond to any particular method, I don't even understand why bring it up.

I never told you that your hair care is wrong. I just corrected the statement that natural gentle detergents in shampoo could cause more damage than SLS. Or that blow drying can not damage hair.
I simply stated that this might work for you (yes I said it works for you in my previous post), but I would advise others to be cautious.

Maybe your hair is not actually made of keratin, or science does not apply to it...dunno :p Lets just agree to disagree.

JamieLeigh
April 6th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I've learned there is no one thing that works for everyone, or even for most people.
I've learned that the "science" of hair care is really just one big guessing game, all trial and error.
I already knew how to take care of my long hair (I was at tailbone length, in great condition when I joined), but I learned some LHC-specific terms like "benign neglect", "Feye's method", and "SMT"...all of which work well for me. :)

And that we really REALLY need a "like" button for some of these posts. :lol:

Kaeri
April 6th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I learned about using hair oils, and about getting rid of small plastic cheap combs (which I used to constantly have in my back pocket.)
I also learned about a couple of up do's that I'd never really considered before (tho I only have one I use semi regularly, for the most part I'm lazy and stick to my plait) I also read about hair toys and have since bought some hair sticks and 2 different sized flexi 8's.

I have been CO (which i'd never heard of before here, and strictly speaking I shampoo'd every now and again just cos I felt like it) for about 3yrs and recently tried shampoo and 'cones again just to re-see how my hair reacts. I also learned more about henna and that I'm still learning.

Mainly I learnt that my hair was something to take care of rather than something which is just there.

Huge thanks to all who have helped with this :)

Edit: oh and I forgot the S&D method of trimming ends, that has fast become a favourite of mine, as well as buying actual hair scissors and keeping them for just hair.

jeanniet
April 6th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Ive learnt that certain non contributing members can be down right rude and insulting and yet mods on here turn a blind eye and think its O.K. to totally ignore and dismiss this, ive learnt although we have a code of conduct which allegedly is to promote a happy and friendly community is only applicable to the decent members, ive learnt that well loved and respected members are being told they have 48 hours to resign or they will be banned, ive learnt that the report button is totally there to lure people into a false sense of security because you never get any feedback or response from the mods and ive learnt thati really dont want to be a part of a poxy community that advocates bullying and humiliation from certain members and does nothing to protect those who are decent participators and finially ive leant this community is not worthy of me not the other way round.
Therefore i have a boat and a rod and im going fishing! Thank you to all those who have made my 6 years here memorable!

Thank you, Jojo, for everything you have been to this community. I wish you untold happiness. :blossom:

kidari
April 6th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I absolutely love this forum due to the members who have successfully grown their hair to extreme lengths with their hair in pristine condition. I personally do not have any desire whatsoever to grow any further than tailbone but I learn so much from those who have. You can see how much it varies from person to person even if they all seem to have pretty similar hair types... but if there is anything to learn about hair care it is definitely valuable to see the methods they employ for sure.

LadyCelestina
April 7th, 2013, 04:05 AM
This thread is starting to become very similar to a drama thread that popped up recently..Especially that "this is lhc not terminal length community!" reminds me of a particular post in that thread.Not nagging,just saying...it's just a step away.

idk,but maybe "using a gentlest possible cleanser you can for washing your hair" would be a better way to put down this particular lhc "rule"?
Sulfate free shampoo's might be gentler,like you would't scrub dirty dishes with coco betaine or whatever is in them, but not everyone's hair responds well to them,be it- like me -because of scalp issues,or because they don't produce a desirable outcome in combination with water hardness,other product used,porosity etc. of that particular person.Am I making sense? I hope so.

eresh
April 7th, 2013, 07:07 AM
What do I know about the long hair community?
That I've made a friend for life here!

And that no treatment or product is IT.
Everyone's hair and opinion of what is good is different, what works for one might not work for another.
Go with what works best for you.
That's all :-)

Velvettt
April 17th, 2013, 05:54 AM
I've learned that if you can imagine something, someone will soon announce that IT is the all powerful solution to all hair woes. Do what feels good to you. Do what makes sense to you. Smile when you read the more outlandish posts and don't assign too much importance to what is, after all, an internet chat room.

I'm glad LHC is here. I don't think it's the be all and end all of everything hair related, nor do I think anyone here has received a tablet from on high which lists the best methods of hair care. Smile, shake your head if necessary, laugh out loud, nod in agreement, pump your fist in the air. It's all opinions and some resonate more to us than others do.

Freija
April 18th, 2013, 04:08 PM
1) AO does horrifying things to my hair, as do every other natural shampoo I have tried. They are not gentle, they dry out my hair to the point where it feels like straw and I end up with split ends. Additionally, friends of mine that use those shampoos have dry hair. I can SEE how dry their hair is.

Actually, it feels quite nice to see someone else posting this. I don't get on with natural shampoos at all, and felt bad about that for a while because - as Emi suggests - they were 'natural', so they had to be better for me, right? No-one reacts like I did to natural stuff, surely?! And it's true that most people don't, and lots of people have happier scalps and hair for switiching to an all-natural regime. But then there are the threads I made in utter despair last summer, detailing the appalling scalp reaction I got from products in the Faith in Nature range. A reaction which had me breaking out in blisters, put me on steroid scalp lotion, and has left me having to wash my hair in absolutely cold water even now, so as not to trigger another reaction (I even found that cassia caused a mild but painful reaction when I did a treatment a couple of days ago, and I used to use that religiously with no issues at all, back in my sls-using, CWC days). And I'm not someone who has ever had allergic reactions before this.

What's more, the only thing that has stopped the reaction has been going back to a shampoo with sodium laureth sulphate and cetaryl alcohol (so it cleans thoroughly without stripping), diluting it with aloe vera gel, and mixing it with tea tree oil. Even the most natural of 'natural' shampoos - the unscented Pure 'Nuff Stuff shampoo (which is *just* water, aloe vera gel, cocoa betaine and apple cider vinegar, or something very like that) that some other UK LHC-ers really like, made the hives worse, and my scalp and hair very very dry, because there were no conditioning ingredients in it, and the cleanser was too weak to help slough off dead cells and buildup.

That's how my mileage varies, anyway. But I think it's a pretty good (if extreme) illustration for the OP of exactly how anyone can insist that x is definitely more gentle, or it's better; but if following x piece of received advice makes your own scalp go mad until your hair start falling out and the growth stops, then of course it's not better or more gentle for you. Both of those things are subjective: even if there is a consensus, you really do still have to experiment and listen to your own hair and body before listening to anyone else.

Freija
April 18th, 2013, 04:16 PM

Emi - if you read my last post, that's, um, how (my original threads about the reaction should still be around here somewhere, and the reaction got a lot worse after I stopped posting about it - I got too tired/sick/sore). I guess you could say that the natural shampoos still weren't causing damage to the hair itself (they dried it out like mad, though) - but if the natural shampoo is damaging the scalp so much that the hair is falling out and won't grow, then I'd say that it is.

I know I'm an exception with this, I just want to point out that very real exceptions do happen, and that nothing you put on your hair is ever completely guaranteed to be 'less damaging' than other things. : )