PDA

View Full Version : Rosemary Rinse?

MaraJSkywalker
April 3rd, 2013, 06:38 AM
Recently, I have been through a few very bad sheds, and have lost a lot of thickness. I read that rosemary is supposed to be good for hair growth, so I decided to try a rosemary rinse in order to see if it would help me regain some of my thickness.

Has anyone had any experience with a rosemary rinse? Does it help with regaining thickness? And how often should I use it?

joflakes
April 3rd, 2013, 06:51 AM
I haven't used it regularly, but I made a rinse with rosemary, basil and ACV in it and it was lovely for shine. No idea about any of the others! I used it every time I washed as a final rinse, and used about half a teaspoon of dried rosemary in a large saucepan which I left to brew overnight then strained.

jeanniet
April 3rd, 2013, 12:46 PM
I used a rinse with rosemary in it (and some other herbs) for about a year, and I can't say that it made any obvious difference in thickness, but my hair is pretty thick anyway so I might not have noticed if it did. Rosemary is considered very good for hair and scalp, so no harm in trying it out.

catasa
April 3rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
I used rosemary rinses after washes for a while since I read that it was supposed to be good for shine and also to some extent cover greys. I canīt say that I remember it making my hair grow better/get thicker (though I didnīt notice it reducing thickness either :) ) but I know that after a while it felt like it dried out my hair. I used a decoction though and not a steeped solution (I think it is called, i e I let the rosemary boil for some minutes and didnīt just pour boiling water over it) so that may have contributed to the drying effect. Anyway, that may be something to be aware of!

door72067
April 3rd, 2013, 05:02 PM
I've used it a few times (fresh, not dried) because I read it would darken hair and I was having some trouble with brassiness when I began growing out dyed hair

I steeped it with English Breakfast loose leaf tea and used it like that, so I don't know which one did it, but I ended up shedding tons from it

PixxieStix
April 3rd, 2013, 08:12 PM
I'm using a mix of castor oil, avocado oil and about 10% Rosemary essential oils on my scalp as an overnight/minimum 8 hour treatment. Castor oil has done wonders for my eyebrows, and the castor/avocado/rosemary oil treatments seem to be helping with my hair growth in thinned areas. I am positive part of it is that some of the hair was going to grow back in anyway (I have a hair pulling disorder), but compared to the last, oh, 15 years or so, it appears to be coming in faster with the oil treatments. I cannot say which one is primarily responsible, but I'm taking it and running with it!

You could also dilute some rosemary EO in an oil your scalp and hair likes (olive, coconut, jojoba, avocado, etc.) and do scalp massages to stimulate growth as well. :) Hope that helps a little, and good luck to you!

Helenae
April 4th, 2013, 07:19 AM
I LOVE adding a few drops of rosemary oil to my diluted shampoo. I've recently finished my little bottle so I have to go out and repurchase. I don't know about hair growth or strength, but it made my dark hair very shiny and soft.

MaraJSkywalker
April 4th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the help, everyone! I think I'll keep trying it for a few weeks and see what happens. It does seem to make my hair more shiny, but I'll definitely be watching to make sure it does not cause drying or extra shedding. I may look into coconut oil, as well. I'm desparate to find a way to regain my original thickness, else I may just decide to cut most of it off and start again.

SleepyTangles
April 4th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I often use some rosemary e.o. in my rinse for its supposed benefits and the shine, I end with nice-smelling happy hair. I can't say it will improve visibly your hair, but harmful/useless sure is not!
Also, if you use soapnuts, its great to cover their sour smell...