PDA

View Full Version : Underlayer Breakage

GlassEyes
April 3rd, 2013, 06:22 AM
This has been a topic long overdue as I've had this problem for years.

About three years ago, I noticed that the hair at my sides and nape were pretty much gone. Not balding, just really, really short. They didn't grow out, either, so I, since I hadn't noticed before assumed that it had always been that way and they just had a short terminal length like my sideburn hair (which my mother agreed).

Recently, however, I had my hair thermally reconditioned, and I've started noticing that I really am misding an entire layer of hair most people have. At first, I thought maybe the straightening process exacerbated it, but there hasn't been any breakage like THAT on my upper layers at all.

To clarify as well, I'm not speaking of a receding hairline--the breakage is on my underlayer, level with my eyes in the front and at my nape. The hair is still there, it just isn't growing.

I'd like to figure out why the hell it hasn't grown in years. And yes, it has been years. My current theory is that it's from towel-rubbing (or rather t-shirt rubbing) when I put my hair up to dry as the damage is all along where it lays. But I dunno if that could cause this much damage. If it could, it would explain why it isn't growing--constant rubbing.

I'm also fairly certain this isn't heat damage, as it pre-dates major heat use for me. I'll attach pictures soon.

cranberrymoonz
April 3rd, 2013, 07:38 AM
I have some fine hairs at the nape of my neck too, I assume it is new growth. I hope it is. It doesn't seem to be growing:(

goldloli
April 3rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
I had this problem. Once I stopped exclusively wearing hair in a high up bun at night and stopped using heat, they have grown from shoulder length to almost armpit length. At first I only stopped heat, but a few months later there was no change, I realized that these hairs are so fragile they snap from friction against my pillow since they are exposed. I used to do my sleep bun quite tight so there was probably no give either. Now I alternate sleep styles but I think I could exclusively use a high up sleep braid, tied loosely at the top, I'm just being cautious by alternating.

Another was simple wear. If I wear hair down or in double braids/low buns, there's some rubbing of the hair in that area against my sin and clothes. I just make sure to S&D every week there. The fact they split this often despite special care, is just evident of how fragile they are.

My hair isnt doing so great with leave ins, but if it were i'd probably use something light with mega slip on those hairs such as kinky curly knot today or citrus and neroli detangler... Or If your hair does well with oils etc then obvi it's a given to apply extra there. I get buildup from oils/leave ins, and those nape hairs are the first to react to it, hence why i'd choose something light.

I've had 2 1/2 inches of growth in 6 months there :D

MiaBeth
April 3rd, 2013, 10:00 AM
I have EXACTLY the same issue -- it's crazy! I've been wracking my brain to figure out what it is ... I think the hair in these areas is already extra delicate, so I'm reevaluating how I dry it/comb, etc. I think key is extra moisture in these areas to give them protection, like goldloli suggested. Fingers crossed this works!

battles
April 3rd, 2013, 10:20 AM
I have this also, mostly on my nape. I'm almost positive it's from how I sleep and the fact my nape hair is really fine, I think it just shreds while I'm tossing and turning.

How do you wear your hair while you sleep? If you haven't tried a sleep cap or a silky pillowcase, perhaps that would help.

arelrios
April 3rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
Oh wow... I think I also have this! I actually trimmed my underlayer last night with hopes the texture improves but some hair is so short that I couldn't trimmed it. Now, on my sides, that is another story... Some strands are really long and other are so tiny that it seems like thy never grow.
I posted something on my blog, including pictures, is like baby hairs but they never grow :( and how come some are so long...
Cannot give you advise since I don't know how to deal with it myself...

Naiadryade
April 3rd, 2013, 12:13 PM
I'm another with more fragile underlayer hair. It's finer, wurlier, and dryer than the rest of my hair too, and yeah, it's shorter--with hairs ranging from a couple inches long to APL. I assume this is because of more breakage in these more fragile spots... especially since pigtail braids have been one of my most preferred styles for years, and that leaves the hair at the nape of my neck more exposed. Usually within a few minutes of making two braids, wispies fall out in between them in the back because their shorter, and of course this hair is then more exposed to damage, continuing the vicious cycle.

I love wearing two braids though, so I'm not going to stop. I do oil this hair more heavily than the rest. :shrug: I just try not to worry about it too much! Though if anyone has a magic fix, I'd love to hear it. :magic:

ETA: Oh yeah, one thing I've started doing occasionally to combat this is putting my hair in three braids to sleep. A single english braid isn't my favorite (front/side hairs fall out, weird-looking braid waves, single-hair-pulling is more likely) and I usually do two braids to sleep... But I figure if I do a braid on each side and one in the back, all my hair will stay contained and protected, including the shorter nape hairs and the shorter near-ear hairs.

Blackfire
April 3rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
I have this issue as well... I think its always been that and maybe you are right about it being more delicate?? I think mine it breaking off when I turn my head around and it rubs on my hsirt colar and i cant think of a way to stop that besides wearing silk shirts!

I also oil it heavily, and try to baby those hairs since I know if I could grow them out my hair would be a lot thicker! but hey, if I cant then no loss. No one can really see them unless I wear my hair up, and then they arent really anatractive either, they curl nicely and hang down all whispy like :)

Blackfire
April 3rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
I have this issue as well... I think its always been that and maybe you are right about it being more delicate?? I think mine it breaking off when I turn my head around and it rubs on my hsirt colar and i cant think of a way to stop that besides wearing silk shirts!

I also oil it heavily, and try to baby those hairs since I know if I could grow them out my hair would be a lot thicker! but hey, if I cant then no loss. No one can really see them unless I wear my hair up, and then they arent really anatractive either, they curl nicely and hang down all whispy like :)

Naiadryade
April 3rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
I think mine it breaking off when I turn my head around and it rubs on my hsirt colar and i cant think of a way to stop that besides wearing silk shirts!

Yes, this! Especially in the winter.

Iaine
April 3rd, 2013, 03:57 PM
I have this problem as well. The hair on my nape is super tangle-prone. I think it's from the friction caused by rubbing up against my shirt collars, because I always sleep on a satin pillow case and I also wear a silk scarf on most nights. Does anyone have tips on how to put an end to this madness?

vindo
April 3rd, 2013, 04:12 PM
It would be good to see pictures. I can't quite imagine what you are talking about. Maybe sharing some things about your routine and products would help too.

Nape and side burn hairs can have shorter terminal lengths. If you have another layer of short hairs, that is not breakage, it could also be regrowth from a shed. I had such massive regrowth, it looked like bangs.

http://www.longhairedatheart.blogspot.de/2012/09/extreme-amount-of-regrowth.html
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-r4x9Uf9HWXc/UGOTmDwFHUI/AAAAAAAALPU/7hktjE1fLcM/s320/IMG_3609.JPG (Summer 2012)

As these hairs grow back they can form another layer almost.

shakethatbelly
April 3rd, 2013, 08:51 PM
i have this issue too, it's frustrating im paying special attention to it so now its growing out