PDA

View Full Version : What is the type of my hair? History is here...

daredevil14
April 2nd, 2013, 12:52 AM
Hello all,

So I have shoulder-length hair that is wavy (from the root) and curly (the length till the ends) with wide curls (Don't know the exact term but the curls are like a stretched S and not small curls; which I really like!)

The thing is, I just want to know the type of my hair because I've radically gone from being a typical shortie guy to what I have now (even lengthier than shoulder-length), here's my hair history:

*2010 (1st-3rd month): below 1 inch, typical extremely short-haired guy with wavy hair.

*2010 (4th-6th month): hair started to grow upwards, looks ugly, rough and very annoying to handle it. I chemically straightened (a light one) it for the first time, still not that good effect if washed and left natural.

*2010 (7th-9th month): hair continued to grow in the same way, still ugly and very hard to deal with (except well in the shower), another chemical straightening happened (a strong one this time) which had a better effect than the previous one, yet still generally hard to handle when not wet and going natural, it looked thick and heavy as well.

*2010 (10th-12th month) + 2011 (1st-9th month): hair started to change, growing up is now heading "down", not up as before, I still can't wear it in a ponytail without messing the front area (except when gelled), still generally heavy, thick and also ugly (in my own sense), I generally disliked my hair in this period. I also had the last (and glad it was the last!) chemical straightening with a tiny ends-trimming.

*2011 (10th-12th month) + 2012 (1st-5th month): okay, hair started to look better, I changed the look of my hair by "brushing" from the root in the middle and separating it into 2-sided parts which gave me a better look, ends were still wavy and frizzy which were not pleasant at all. I finally discovered what a "conditioner" is and what does "combing" mean, I also stopped brushing forever. All this radically changed my hair.

*2012 (6th-12th) + 2013 (1st-now): as said, hair changed a lot, I experienced with many products (cones, non-cones, etc...) and routines (CO-wash, etc...), my hair is now wavy from the root and then starts to curl till the ends which are mostly curly, I really love my hair now especially my wide curly strands of hair and their ends. I only comb when wet and full-soaked in conditioner in the shower. I can easily put it into a ponytail as well.

So as you can see, I may damaged my hair in the past with chemical treatments and wet-brushing and stuff but I also arrived to a look that I am really satisfied with, I don't know how it "became" like this (whether this is how my hair will always grow from the beginning or the chemical straightening changed its nature, etc...), so any explanation would really be educational and appreciated at the same time! Also, what's the future of it? I am planning to grow it to my waist so how will it continue to change? Thanks!

starry
April 2nd, 2013, 04:42 AM
sounds like 2c to me :) if you go to curlygirl.com there is a hair typer

http://go.naturallycurly.com/texture-typing

with pictures so you can see for yourself what you think :)

Im 2b, so similar- many people in the 2's with s waves, snakey waves, can be straight if brushed and they don't know they are a wavy!

daredevil14
April 3rd, 2013, 03:31 AM
Thank you starry, 'll check that!

Anyone else?

spirals
April 3rd, 2013, 03:50 AM
Wavy at the roots and curly at the ends?? Stretched-out S's? Wide curls? That's a textbook 3a. If you answer yes to these, you are 3a:
--Does your hair get curlier as it gets longer? (It typically takes 4 to 6 inches to form a spiral.)
--Do your curls look like they were wrapped around a 1-inch curling iron?
--When you wet a fallen hair and let it dry on a flat surface, does it form a circle?

earthnut
April 3rd, 2013, 02:09 PM
One way to determine curl type is to measure the diameter of the curl.

1 1/2 inch wide curls are 2c.
1 inch wide curls are 3a.
1/2 inch wide curls are 3b.
1/4 inch wide curls are 3c.

Any of these hair types will have corkscrew curls. In 2c hair, because the curls are so large, they can look like waves when brushed out, or a mix of curls and waves. 2a and 2b have waves and 2b might have the occasional lazy curl.

spirals
April 3rd, 2013, 04:23 PM
Then I'm a 3a with some 2c mixed in, and exactly one 3b curl at my nape on the left.

daredevil14
April 3rd, 2013, 09:46 PM
Wavy at the roots and curly at the ends?? Stretched-out S's? Wide curls? That's a textbook 3a. If you answer yes to these, you are 3a:
--Does your hair get curlier as it gets longer? (It typically takes 4 to 6 inches to form a spiral.)
--Do your curls look like they were wrapped around a 1-inch curling iron?
--When you wet a fallen hair and let it dry on a flat surface, does it form a circle?

Yes, it does get more and more curly as it gets longer! As it wasn't curly at all earlier last year and before.
After reading the above replies and checking the link above, I think that I am somewhere between 2c and 3a (with some 3b ends)

So now, how my hair would continue to grow? I am planning for waist-length, how much time do I still need and how will the texture/type be while getting longer? (Just a note, I have shoulder-length when my hair is dry and arm pit-length when my hair is wet.)

spirals
April 3rd, 2013, 10:27 PM
Mine has stretched as it's gotten longer due to the weight. That's not true for everyone. Average hair growth for a year is 6 inches, though some of us get 8 to 9. I guess how long it takes depends on whether you count the length as where it is stretched or curled up. I'm technically at waist, but my hair shrinks up 3 to 4 inches, so it won't look waist until it's actually at hip. That will be at the end of this year.