PDA

View Full Version : Post partum shedding :(

Bianca
April 1st, 2013, 10:38 AM
How bad was it and how long did it last ? Did you end up having to cut because the shedding was severe ?

Right now im losing so much hair. I already feel like my hair is thinner than pre pregnancy and I have only been shedding for 3 weeks. I have hair ALL over the place. I kinda feel like cutting it already and dying it. Maybe thats also because of all the other things I have to deal with after my pregnancy. Gall bladder stones and now an infection in my breast. I feel like doing something different and new, and if my hair is going to get really thinned out I might as well just cut it...

Jenny31557
April 1st, 2013, 04:18 PM
Have you seem this blog ?
http://www.longhairedatheart.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1
Her name is Emi and she has had a couple of major health related sheds and she still has amazing hair.
She microtrims every month I think.
I hope this gives you an idea of how to deal with your shedding and I hope it stops soon.:flower:

kittengirl
April 1st, 2013, 04:31 PM
That lady is on the forum here! I was talking to her on another postpartum shedding thread and she is very positive and helpful.

Jenny31557
April 1st, 2013, 04:38 PM
Yes her username is emichiee on here.
I'm amazed at how passionate and dedicated she is to long hair.
She is really inspiring to me.

Emichiee
April 1st, 2013, 05:05 PM
Hi! :p Thanks everyone.

Seems I am attracted to postpartum shed threads.

Bianca

You might want to check out what I wrote a few days ago regarding another members postpartum shed. It was a lot and just explains a few things about the hair loss and possible fixes.

Most likely, your hair will thin some but you won't lose a ton. I have gone through 3 hair loss episodes and 2 postpartum sheds. I have been dealing with hormonal imbalances, so anything can throw my hormones off.

This is why I chose to balance them with the help of herbs. Should anyone's postpartum hair loss and hormones not regulate after 3-6 months, I would definitely recommend giving this a try instead of suffering from hormone related issues (which in turn can affect your health more too) or using medication with a ton of scary side effects.
I actually recommended it to a bunch of mom's who I know through another site, which have long term problems with their hormones (mostly hair, skin and PMS) even after 1-2 years postpartum.

I might even try this after my next pregnancy to see if it will help my hormones crash less severe and help my body sort things out faster. When I started taking all the herbal supplements, plus essential ones, my hair loss was reduced right away and then stopped 2 months after starting the supplements.

After sheds I mostly decide to maintain and trim all monthly growth.
2 times I had a bigger trim, one during pregnancy (can't see it in my siggy but before Dec.'11 my hair was a very tapered thigh length) and once after my postpartum shed, where I trimmed from mid butt to tailbone length.
This time I did not have to. My ends are surprisingly "okay" even after the hair loss (from Oct.'12 to March'13)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-P_V1KLrYyTY/UVoUW68OeZI/AAAAAAAALpU/gAGXJ5urHz4/s300/IMG_6556.JPG

From a few days ago, after my most recent shed. I lost 0.5 in in ponytail circumference. It is not too noticeable I lost a lot of hair. Just thinner overall, especially the ends. But this is really good for my standards, and my hair was not combed lol ;)

kittengirl
April 1st, 2013, 06:52 PM
Hi! :p Thanks everyone.

Seems I am attracted to postpartum shed threads.

Bianca

You might want to check out what I wrote a few days ago regarding another members postpartum shed. It was a lot and just explains a few things about the hair loss and possible fixes.

Most likely, your hair will thin some but you won't lose a ton. I have gone through 3 hair loss episodes and 2 postpartum sheds. I have been dealing with hormonal imbalances, so anything can throw my hormones off.

This is why I chose to balance them with the help of herbs. Should anyone's postpartum hair loss and hormones not regulate after 3-6 months, I would definitely recommend giving this a try instead of suffering from hormone related issues (which in turn can affect your health more too) or using medication with a ton of scary side effects.
I actually recommended it to a bunch of mom's who I know through another site, which have long term problems with their hormones (mostly hair, skin and PMS) even after 1-2 years postpartum.

I might even try this after my next pregnancy to see if it will help my hormones crash less severe and help my body sort things out faster. When I started taking all the herbal supplements, plus essential ones, my hair loss was reduced right away and then stopped 2 months after starting the supplements.

After sheds I mostly decide to maintain and trim all monthly growth.
2 times I had a bigger trim, one during pregnancy (can't see it in my siggy but before Dec.'11 my hair was a very tapered thigh length) and once after my postpartum shed, where I trimmed from mid butt to tailbone length.
This time I did not have to. My ends are surprisingly "okay" even after the hair loss (from Oct.'12 to March'13)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-P_V1KLrYyTY/UVoUW68OeZI/AAAAAAAALpU/gAGXJ5urHz4/s300/IMG_6556.JPG

From a few days ago, after my most recent shed. I lost 0.5 in in ponytail circumference. It is not too noticeable I lost a lot of hair. Just thinner overall, especially the ends. But this is really good for my standards, and my hair was not combed lol ;)

And I stalk postpartum shed threads! lol You and your hair have given me hope that I can still grow it out even if I have a shed, and that it can still look nice! Thank you!

heidi w.
April 1st, 2013, 07:36 PM
Post partum shedding is a normal experience for just about every woman who's had a child. When it's too much, and time to speak to the doctor, is shedding longer than around 9 mos. to a year or more. Then you probably have another problem with thyroid imbalance, which affects the entire body. Your baby books should've told you about post-partum shedding. I'm upset to hear that you don't seem to know enough about it. ETA: Also, don't cut your hair unless you're very clear on cutting it; if you want long hair, I wouldn't give up. First, I'd demand a thyroid exam by the doctor. Then see how that turns out, and then take two weeks and decide. Just because your volume is thinner is not a reason to cut hair. I have thin hair, and always have. It's simply not a good enough reason and worst yet, it doesn't even begin to solve your actual and real problem. Speak with the doctor first.
heidi w.

Bianca
April 3rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks all for your replies :flowers: (I have been at the hospital because of my infection, so didn't have time to answer untill now)

Emichiee - I will go search for the other tread and look at your blog, thank you :)

Heidi w - I did know that this would happen, but did not expect to lose that much hair and already see such a difference in thickness in just 3 weeks.

I have thought about getting my thyroid checked, just to be sure thats not the problem.

Emichiee
April 4th, 2013, 06:57 AM
You can find the thread in my replies easily. My postpartum shed was intense at some point. I think a peak is perfectly normal. A lot of hair that was in the resting phase falls out at once now.

Re thyroid - you can measure your temperature right now. It should not be lower than 97.8 F.
Sometimes you can slip into postpartum thyroid underfunction, but it often regulates. I doubt the sudden hair loss is caused by thyroid unless it went very bad suddenly.
Make sure your doctor does not only test TSH if you are getting it tested. To propey diagnose free T3 and T4 also have to be tested. I also would not immediately get on meds since your thyroid might regulate. Meds can have side effects too.

(I used to have Hashimoto's)