PDA

View Full Version : I finally reached waist! But WTF happened to my hair texture?

HylianGirl
March 31st, 2013, 04:01 PM
So, my dad said my hair was already down to my waist, and I realized that wow, it is indeed! Yay! ^-^

But.... on the last couple of months my hair texture has changed... and I prefered the way it used to be =( my mom thinks it's because my hair is so long it's too heavy to properly wurl like it used to, it also tends to be straighter at the ends, it looks like a mess! I rarely wear it donw anymore, and I actually want to wear it down, I don't mind deganglint it later...

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y412/HylianG/WTFTexture_zps55685818.jpg

On both pictures I had washed and let my hair air dry, no brushing, no wind, no nothing. I also don't think my hair is dry, it feels really soft, even if it doesn't look like it, and I do weekly deep conditions, and oil my hair after washing it, I also recently got it trimmed, cut off about half an inch.

I also would like to add that I intend to henna soon (my country has some problem right now with the mail which is making my interenet order taking way more time than it already does to arrive), and I do realize that henna loosens curl pattern, but right now, I feel like my curl pattern is meh. I tried some amla mixed with conditioner, but it doesn't seem to make a difference (maybe it takes many applications?). Sometimes I pin curl my hair, when I do I love it! Too bad I'm too lazy to do it often xD

Kiwiwi
March 31st, 2013, 05:00 PM
Congratulations on hitting waist!!

Have you tried a protein treatment?
It can bring your curl/wave right back!

lapushka
March 31st, 2013, 05:02 PM
I think maybe the henna is a major issue, and that together with the length is making your texture more drawn out. Would you be able to give up the henna?

I'd try the curly girl method (scrunching, gel, etc.) if you aren't doing that already. See what that does.

spidermom
March 31st, 2013, 05:18 PM
No henna here but length has done the same to my hair. I've decided on some light layering to bring the wurly texture back.

Kaelee
March 31st, 2013, 05:48 PM
I think the length may be the main culprit, though usually when it's the length that's the problem, it gets curlier towards the bottom. I'm sure not all hair is the same though.

piffyanne
March 31st, 2013, 06:38 PM
Mine got straighter and straighter as it got longer, most of my curl is gone now, except some wavies at the bottom.

kitschy
March 31st, 2013, 06:41 PM
Length did a number on my curls. They're still there but they are definitely elongated.

PixxieStix
March 31st, 2013, 06:56 PM
Congratulations on your milestone, your hair looks gorgeous! Sorry to hear your whurly woes, it is a bit of a trade off.

earthnut
March 31st, 2013, 07:49 PM
What's your routine?

If you use shampoo, try conditioner only, or the curly girl method.

If you don't use shampoo, try clarifying or a protein treatment.

SunlightShines
March 31st, 2013, 08:11 PM
Congratulations! Your hair looks lovely!

TheHowlingWolf
March 31st, 2013, 09:04 PM
Mine got straighter and straighter as it got longer, most of my curl is gone now, except some wavies at the bottom.

Same! & I'm at waist now too!

Fantak
April 1st, 2013, 01:31 AM
I second clarifying, and maybe a protein treatment :)

LadyCelestina
April 1st, 2013, 04:12 AM
Long,unlayered curly/wavy hair loosens up a bit with length...or A LOT! Right now I'm 2b/c with 3b at the nape.I used to be 3a/3b all over when I was at apl /straight/.

kidari
April 1st, 2013, 04:29 AM
Your hair is so gorgeous! It looks so voluminous and thick. The only bad thing I've found with longer hair is losing volume around the roots and when I didn't have many layers my curls fell out (rag curls/etc) and it would loosen and drop so fast it was a waste of my time even curling my hair. Doing pin curls everyday is a chore and when your hair becomes that you start to dream about cutting it shorter... why not do something quick and easy? Since your hair is one length pretty much, you could try braiding it damp at night so you get waves in the morning? Much easier than pin curls and it's a good sleep style. You're so lucky you have a natural wave, I bet your pin curls last really long in your natural texture.

Quahatundightu
April 1st, 2013, 05:18 AM
My hair also got less curly as it grew. I think it happens to most people, especially if they are more wurly than curly.

What does your hair look like when it's wet? Is it more like before? You could try cutting some layers in to encourage more curl, and experiment with gel or plopping.

Mayflower
April 1st, 2013, 05:22 AM
Your hair is gorgeous and thick! When I reached BSL my waves started to stretch too, I'm now almost past hip and I can still get big (BIG) wavy/curly hair when making a top knot to sleep in. I do this every night, it takes no time at all and is a protective updo, plus it gives you huge hair (at the roots too). You can do it when your hair is slightly hair but it works just as well on dry hair for me.

melusine963
April 1st, 2013, 09:16 AM
Long,unlayered curly/wavy hair loosens up a bit with length...or A LOT! Right now I'm 2b/c with 3b at the nape.I used to be 3a/3b all over when I was at apl /straight/.

Yep. When my hair was at shoulder length it was easily 3b. Now, at TBL, it's barely 2c. Oh, well.

jacqueline101
April 1st, 2013, 09:40 AM
It's most likely your length. It's long enough it doesn't curl except at the ends.

arelrios
April 3rd, 2013, 09:32 AM
So, my dad said my hair was already down to my waist, and I realized that wow, it is indeed! Yay! ^-^

But.... on the last couple of months my hair texture has changed... and I prefered the way it used to be =( my mom thinks it's because my hair is so long it's too heavy to properly wurl like it used to, it also tends to be straighter at the ends, it looks like a mess! I rarely wear it donw anymore, and I actually want to wear it down, I don't mind detanglint it later...

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y412/HylianG/WTFTexture_zps55685818.jpg

On both pictures I had washed and let my hair air dry, no brushing, no wind, no nothing. I also don't think my hair is dry, it feels really soft, even if it doesn't look like it, and I do weekly deep conditions, and oil my hair after washing it, I also recently got it trimmed, cut off about half an inch.

I also would like to add that I intend to henna soon (my country has some problem right now with the mail which is making my interenet order taking way more time than it already does to arrive), and I do realize that henna loosens curl pattern, but right now, I feel like my curl pattern is meh. I tried some amla mixed with conditioner, but it doesn't seem to make a difference (maybe it takes many applications?). Sometimes I pin curl my hair, when I do I love it! Too bad I'm too lazy to do it often xD

Congrats on reaching waist! I don't know much about curly hair since I'm not a curly girl, but in the second picture your hair looks very similar to mine... wondering if it will look this great when i finally reach my goal :D

HylianGirl
April 3rd, 2013, 03:13 PM
Thank you so much for the compliments and help ^-^ I'll try clarifying and doing a protein treatment (protein kinda scares me xD). And today I'll try a damp braid for sleep, and next time I'll try a high cinnabun and compare the results ^-^. I like the idea of more volume at the roots. Latelly I've been having second thoughts about henna because of the texture, but I also feel a bit experimental... I don't know, maybe I'll wait a little more to see. Thanks again!

Kidari my hair holds pin curls very well, and on the second day I try reactvating them by sleeping on a suck bun, and then I get some nice soft curls, I love the way it looks ^-^. Strangely though suck buns without pin curls makes my hair straighter O.o Also my hair is not super thick, just really fluffy and voluminous looking xD my braids are normal thickness, specially after seeing come braids of other LHCers O.O

When dripping wet, it looks pretty much straght XD But about 70% dry it looks the best, has some nice defined ringlets, but they go away when completelly dry =(

Hm... I'm not sure if I want layers, I really like braiding my hair, and don't want it to stick out on the braids. But I guess that would work, I have some hair at my temples that don't grow long (they are like 4 inches long for years now), and they are super curly!

meteor
April 3rd, 2013, 04:30 PM
I concur with everybody else: with length you use some curl pattern. I only had curly hair when I had a very short haircut. When it's long, my hair is almost completely straight.
To be honest, it feels inevitable because of the sheer weight of the hair that stretches and thus straightens the curl. Whenever I get hair cut, my head feels lighter, so obviously all that weight puts some stress on the curl.
Braids and wet bunning help a lot to bring some wave back.