PDA

View Full Version : The cure for hair envy

rock007junkie
March 29th, 2013, 04:11 PM
I loved this video!!! I often see these gorgeous women on TV and magazines and get major hair envy about how thick and long their hair is...these women show the truth about it. It should made me feel better.

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2013/03/29/the-talk-take-out-hair-extensions-weaves/

sisi33
March 29th, 2013, 04:29 PM
I completely LOVED that clip- thank you for sharing! The ending was fantastic! :disco:

vindo
March 29th, 2013, 05:02 PM
In a way it makes me feel worse because beauty is all fake nowadays...:(

Instead of making the best of what you got, you get to change what you got...I fear it is not just a short lived trend.

MegaMystery
March 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I lol'd at the 'it takes a village' :D

Nebulae
March 29th, 2013, 05:41 PM
It's nice to see they admit it and have fun with it. But I agree with Emichiee.. It's sad to see that so many women nowadays have to "fake it" and sort of become more than they are to be seen as beautiful (by others, but mostly by themselves).

I have to add that this does in no way cure all of my hair envy.. there are way too many heads of hair on this site to make me envious, and they are all natural! :D

cooklaezo13
March 29th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I liked that they were honest about having extensions. However, it made me sad to think that all those women believe their natural hair is not enough. They are promoting and celebrating extensions in a big way. Its better than them pretending their hair is all their's when it is not, however, it still wasn't celebrating natural beauty, which is what I would have preferred to see.
I have nothing against women who wear wigs, weaves and extensions, its everyone's choice to wear their hair as they choose. But why put down thin, natural hair so much?

I have thick hair, lots and lots of it, and at times it is such a pain. "the grass is always greener"

Allychan
March 29th, 2013, 05:56 PM
What a riot!! And they are so brave to go against convention! Cudos to them.

Dorothy
March 29th, 2013, 06:30 PM
"it takes a village" is a bit of a double edged sword for me.... That woman is a very rich woman, and the woman who grew her hair, I'm sure, is very, very poor. The wealthy society is made of of the bodies of the poor.

PixxieStix
March 29th, 2013, 07:03 PM
That was a good laugh, thanks for sharing! I'm pretty happy to keep growing out my natural hair though, no desire for clip ins that I can whirl about my head. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 29th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Wow - is it not ok to just have your own hair any more?

kittengirl
March 29th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Wow, I didn't know that many people wore extensions! That was great!

MaryMarx
March 29th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Wow - is it not ok to just have your own hair any more?
I think (and hope) this will reach a peak and then people will start to want to become more natural again. A new 70's. :)

Nedertane
March 29th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Wow, that was almost surreal. Or maybe I'm just gullible because it looked like none of them had extensions, just good stylists? I think the most "shocking" moment was when the last woman took off her whole wig, as the hair underneath it looked so different. It was a little bit sad though, because I think her hair could be gorgeous with some TLC, especially since it was a cool white color.

Personally, I'm not quick to call them "brave," or anything, seeing as it was just taking out clip-in extensions (for the first two, at least, but I definitely give more credit to the last one), and those extensions probably cost enough money to feed whoever had sold their hair to make extensions. But I am glad to see that something like this made it on to TV. Maybe if enough women see it, they will think, "Oh, so they are like me, maybe my hair and I are a-okay after all".

Also, to anyone on this thread who might try to "demonize" or criticize extensions, judge not lest ye be judged yerself... ;)

Zindell
March 30th, 2013, 04:17 AM
That video put a smile on my lips. So nice to see how relaxed they are about the whole thing and I like that they admit to the "hair cheats". :D

EtherealDoll
March 30th, 2013, 04:43 AM
It's weird how they are so calm asif it's normal. Is it really such a big trend in western countries to wear hair extensions?

vindo
March 30th, 2013, 06:11 AM
It's weird how they are so calm asif it's normal. Is it really such a big trend in western countries to wear hair extensions?

It seems to be pretty popular in the US. I know many moms from a parenting community who love extensions.

In Germany it seems a bit less popular but definitely gaining popularity too. Might just be a matter of time until it is completely normal.

jacqueline101
March 30th, 2013, 06:23 AM
I still don't get why people envy hair extensions.

Maverick494
March 30th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I really liked this video. Extensions are everywhere in the TV world and Hollywood. Honestly, I think about 90% of the women in that business wear them; the ones who appear on screen at least. It's cool these gals came clean about what it takes to make them look the way they do. I think that the obsession with looking your best--even if it takes applying loads of makeup and hair extensions-- is a direct result of the public's intolerance of anything that's less than perfect. People are hypocrites. They say they applaud natural beauty, but if a person doesn't have naturally glowing skin or thick luscious locks, they get criticized and told to clean themselves up. Look at comments on celebrity candids. People can be quite terrible to one another.

As for the whole issue on how hairextensions are created by using hair of the poor; these people put their hair up for sale all by themselves. Of course it's sad they got to a point where they felt they have to resort to that to get some extra cash, but it's their choice. If no-one buys their hair they'll have to find something else to get money out of. It's not fair, but life rarely is.

Also keep in mind that not everyone is capable of growing their hair as long as they'd like. A friend of mine loves long hair and has tried to grow it, but the medicine she has to take to keep her heart condition under control makes her hair shed like crazy, so she never gets past APL. She uses hairextensions to get the long look. I know that if she could have grown it naturally, she would have. But she can't.

So I'm not against hair extensions, at all. I like being able to grow my hair naturally, but if I couldn't I'd probably be clipping in these things in my hair just like these women.

Angelica
March 30th, 2013, 07:22 AM
I admit I've used clip in hair and it has given me confidence. The reason is that I am at an age now when I realise that I will never have the ultra long hair that so many on this board can achieve. And I have seen really long hair in real life, not hair extensions or clip ins. I haven't bothered with my clip ins for ages though. I don't think there is anything wrong with it though. Just some people will never have the beautiful hair they desire, or some will like a change. Cheryl Cole wears tons of hair extensions, and her looks are much desired. She is very beautiful. However sometimes I think you can tell when someone's hair is extensions, it's ultra long and thick one day and then it shown differently when they are next on tv. I think there are also many women celebrities who have lovely long hair in real life but it is taken for granted now that it is all extensions. A lot of it has to do with genetics, some people just can't grow their hair long no matter how well they treat it. It's sad but true. I haven't bothered to watch the video, because for me there's no need. You only have to read the small print in commercials to read that many shampoo ads have the models wearing hair extensions, and of course there is a hairdresser on hand when there are stray hairs that need controlling. There's nothing wrong about being natural and being happy with the hair you were "blessed," but there's nothing wrong with cheating a little when nature hasn't given you a crowning glory. Just like putting make-up on I suppose. We all want to look good.

melusine963
March 30th, 2013, 09:09 AM
:D What a wonderful clip! Especially the ending. :)

anitacs9101
March 30th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Love this! The ending was the best!

MaryO
March 30th, 2013, 10:25 AM
I was rather amused because I honestly don't envy the hair I see on TV (We all know it's fake and sort of unattainable...)! I envy most of the LHCers whose pictures I drool over all the time. Natural, healthy hair rocks! :rockerdud

door72067
March 30th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I think (and hope) this will reach a peak and then people will start to want to become more natural again. A new 70's. :)

quoted for *truth*

I find myself wishing for this very thing!

Annibelle
March 30th, 2013, 02:15 PM
"it takes a village" is a bit of a double edged sword for me.... That woman is a very rich woman, and the woman who grew her hair, I'm sure, is very, very poor. The wealthy society is made of of the bodies of the poor.

I don't think anyone could have said this better.

meteor
March 30th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Awesome video! :)

Frankly, their hair isn't that great at all even with the extensions - all obviously heavily-styled to mask the unhealthy condition... They would benefit from ditching the extensions and applying some LHC hair care tips instead.

leslissocool
March 30th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Meh, I still have hair envy, just look at the classic to knee thread! So much gorgeous hair!

Saying that "Their real hair is not good enough" and how that's sad IS a double edge sword. Is your nail color not good enough then that you have to paint them? Is your hair color not good enough? Is your skin not good enough that you have to put foundation and crap on it? Are your eyes not pretty enough that you have to put eye shadows and paint on them? Just people who henna their hair because they like red hair can be put in such statement. What's really sad to me is that people are judging others for doing something to their bodies because they want to.

Seriously, decorating our bodies is one of the most primitive practices we have. We wear other's hair since the beginning of time: Animal skin's, feathers, animal fur. Let's be honest here, if you were that poor and your hair could feed your family for months, would you sell it? I would. I know people who did that in the US, gorgeous knee length locks that she sold to pay her mortgage and her home when her husband was sick. Her face when I told her her hair was worth money was one of incredulity and relief. I'm sure is glad someone wanted her hair to wear on their heads.

Everyone does this, at some point. If it's not lipstick is clothes or scents or whatever. The problem is attaching such high standards of beauty that are completely unattainable and a culture that values your worth by your looks.

MissAlida
March 30th, 2013, 03:08 PM
I won't deny that I laughed at the clip, but they seem so superficial to me. It looks like they are empowering women to show their true self, but really, it's just another way to say, that extensions are supposed to make you "normal"(by today's society standards). I for one am happy, that extensions are not very common where I live, even tough I had really thin hair for the past couple of years, and sometimes cried in the shower after washing my hair, and seeing so many strands fall out. Well, it's their choice to do as they please about their hair.

vindo
March 30th, 2013, 04:44 PM

True, sadly it is not only from wealthy women who want a change.

Often it is hair from not so wealthy Russian women and even young girls, that get paid less than they deserve.
Or it is temple hair from India, which mostly poor people have sacrificed hoping the gods will answer their prayers. Some of the hair comes from kids, and from what I have seen in a documentary not all kids want to do this and fight and cry. http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201002/r517567_2845037.jpg
And then there is the hair mafia in Brazil. Not the most ethical industry if you ask me...

leslissocool
I think there is a difference between dressing up and wearing some light make up to underline your beauty, and totally faking it. If the women does not look like the same person without all that stuff, I think vanity was taken too far.
In the end, the message we get from all this is "you are not beautiful enough naturally". As if women were not self conscious and critical enough already.

And on top of that hair can be grown, you just need a little bit of patience.

But hey....the industry is making great money with everyone that buys into this.:applause:rolleyes:

leslissocool
March 30th, 2013, 05:12 PM
leslissocool
I think there is a difference between dressing up and wearing some light make up to underline your beauty, and totally faking it. If the women does not look like the same person without all that stuff, I think vanity was taken too far.
In the end, the message we get from all this is "you are not beautiful enough naturally". As if women were not self conscious and critical enough already.

And on top of that hair can be grown, you just need a little bit of patience.

But hey....the industry is making great money with everyone that buys into this.:applause:rolleyes:

But concealer, foundation, mascara, eyeliner, blush, colorful eye shadow is NOT light make up. How many women take their make up off and look COMPLETELY different? Many. How are extensions worse? How is a wig (different hair) worse than covering up all your skin in your face to make it look smooth and flawless when you don't have that?

The message that women aren't beautiful enough originated from the fact that women were second class citizens and were worth on the ability to be beautiful. Women often were owned. Look at all the paintings, all the stories that man wrote about women (in every culture). It's ingrained in our society for MANY generations, and it continues. "Faking" beauty is wearing blush to look youthful because you aren't anymore, look at Bathory that was way before "extensions". I don't see how extensions are different from fake eyelashes :shrug:.

AnthonyB93
March 30th, 2013, 06:01 PM
I don't get why people are so defensive about people that wear hair extensions. I have around APL and I have SLOW growing (thin)hair, it's nice to put in some extensions to see what it's like to have longer hair before I get there, and it's nice to have a pony tail that's not much bigger than a pencil's width.

sarah061
March 30th, 2013, 07:19 PM
This video was great, thanks for sharing :D I never really think about how much "help" women in the media get in regard to their appearance; usually their looks come off as so natural looking to me, it's always a surprise to see them without all the makeup and hair help. Like when you see a picture of Oprah without her makeup - what a surprise the difference is!

vindo
March 31st, 2013, 02:01 AM
But concealer, foundation, mascara, eyeliner, blush, colorful eye shadow is NOT light make up. How many women take their make up off and look COMPLETELY different? Many. How are extensions worse? How is a wig (different hair) worse than covering up all your skin in your face to make it look smooth and flawless when you don't have that?

The message that women aren't beautiful enough originated from the fact that women were second class citizens and were worth on the ability to be beautiful. Women often were owned. Look at all the paintings, all the stories that man wrote about women (in every culture). It's ingrained in our society for MANY generations, and it continues. "Faking" beauty is wearing blush to look youthful because you aren't anymore, look at Bathory that was way before "extensions". I don't see how extensions are different from fake eyelashes :shrug:.

:confused: That is why I said light make up. And this:

If the women does not look like the same person without all that stuff, I think vanity was taken too far.

I will say it again, there is a clear difference between underlining your beauty and totally changing and covering it up. If on takes off her light make up, she will still look very similar.

Instead of fixing minor beauty problems and taking care of our hair, we are now taught that putting extensions fixes everything.
But extensions are also a dangerous trend that can cause hair loss on the long run and damage your hair.

I don't think todays beauty ideal has much to do with the past anymore. It is todays media that and society that shapes the image of how a woman has to look. Just look at the heavily edited pictures in magazines.

Kaelee
March 31st, 2013, 12:06 PM
I don't think todays beauty ideal has much to do with the past anymore. It is todays media that and society that shapes the image of how a woman has to look. Just look at the heavily edited pictures in magazines.

I agree. Today's beauty ideal is much different from the past, as well. Look at a classical painting of a beautiful woman- curves all over, long hair, body hair. Today's "beautiful woman" in the advertisements- rail thin, shorter hair, no body hair at all. The no body hair thing was actually specifically started by the Gillette corporation- so that they could sell more razors! It caught on and now today's trend- that some people consider necessary for good hygiene...came about entirely so that some company could sell more stuff.

prismfaerie
March 31st, 2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks for that :)

truepeacenik
March 31st, 2013, 12:18 PM
As for the whole issue on how hairextensions are created by using hair of the poor; these people put their hair up for sale all by themselves. Of course it's sad they got to a point where they felt they have to resort to that to get some extra cash, but it's their choice. If no-one buys their hair they'll have to find something else to get money out of. It's not fair, but life rarely is.

Actually, the market isn't always for voluntarily-given hair. (Research temple hair for voluntarily given, but definitely not paid for, hair) we tend to see mentions of f-o-r-c-e-d cutting removed here, so the combined term doesn't get noticed by search engines and the creepers using the search term, but it happens. As a hit and run pick pocket sort of thing, husband for-c-ing the wife, (any pairing here, sons- widowed mothers, fathers- daughters, anyone with power over another) to surrender her long hair.

So, no life isn't fair. Some of us chose to not contribute to the suffering of others.

It strikes me as funny, in general, when someone defends child labor or some such with life isn't fair, but it is perfectly OK for the wealthy to rectify what they see isn't unfair (bare floors needing fine carpets, jeans needing to sell at cut rate prices, no chocolate in the pantry) by buying whatever it is they desire.
Why can't they shrug off their lack with life is unfair? Why does another population take the pain?

Can't grow long hair? Life isn't fair! Live with your natural beauty.

Kaelee
March 31st, 2013, 03:00 PM
I'm sure a big part of the reason we see celebrities especially with the extensions and what not is because their JOBS depend on it. If you're not a celebrity or a model, you're far less likely to have extensions than if you are told "We need you to have x type of hair for this shoot. No extensions? OK, you don't get the contract." These women (and sometimes men) are usually contractually obligated to pretty much do (or allow to be done) anything to their hair that their employers demand. Otherwise, they don't get the job. They need to be able to change on a dime- brunette one day, blond the next, straight today, curly tomorrow, short today, long tomorrow. This isn't something that's required of most people.

I read in a magazine not long ago that celebrities often have stylists that go on the road with them- that cost hundreds or even THOUSANDS of dollars a DAY- to keep their hair looking *perfect* at all times. Now that I am familiar with what healthy hair looks like, I can tell the difference between their "perfect" hair and healthy, naturally beautiful hair. I prefer the latter...some people prefer the former, and that's on them. I always think that celebrity hair looks stiff- so locked in place, it's not natural. Like if they turn their head, the hair won't shift or bounce...and if I touched it it would be crunchy.

Do I like it? No, but that's one of the reasons why I'm not a model/actress/etc. *to me personally* it would feel a lot like selling my body- to offer my beautiful hair, my skin, my image up to be distorted/damaged in any way the stylists and advertisers seem fit. (And I realize that the women who do it probably don't feel that way.) I do wish that women would be adored for their natural beauty...but they chose to be in the public eye and all that goes with it.

Plenty of "everyday" people get extensions and other things done too, but I'm guessing that it's way more common with celebrities than it is with "everyday" people.

karenpetal
March 31st, 2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks !! That was hilarious !!!!!

leilasahhar
March 31st, 2013, 03:40 PM
Honestly what I felt when I saw this was that these women were putting down those who have long hair and don't need to wear extensions. I personally have been bullied by women like them in my past for having and growing long hair. I feel like I would have to hide my hair or make it look unattractive if I were around these envious women.

Kaelee
March 31st, 2013, 04:19 PM
Honestly what I felt when I saw this was that these women were putting down those who have long hair and don't need to wear extensions. I personally have been bullied by women like them in my past for having and growing long hair. I feel like I would have to hide my hair or make it look unattractive if I were around these envious women.

Really? I didn't get that at all. I thought more that they were....not 'making fun' exactly, but showing the fact that their "celebrity beauty" is fake and not to be idolized? If that makes sense? I'm not sure how to articulate this at all, but I definitely felt their message was intended to be positive.

vindo
March 31st, 2013, 04:37 PM
Actually, the market isn't always for voluntarily-given hair. (Research temple hair for voluntarily given, but definitely not paid for, hair) we tend to see mentions of f-o-r-c-e-d cutting removed here, so the combined term doesn't get noticed by search engines and the creepers using the search term, but it happens. As a hit and run pick pocket sort of thing, husband for-c-ing the wife, (any pairing here, sons- widowed mothers, fathers- daughters, anyone with power over another) to surrender her long hair.

Reminds me on a lot of YouTube channels where such things are shown. I occasionally get bothered by YouTubers like this.

Can't grow long hair? Life isn't fair! Live with your natural beauty.

Most could grow long healthy hair even (to a not extremely long length like shoulderblade to waist anyway, which is what most extensions are)! That is what puzzles me the most. But they don't want to take the time and be patient, which is a modern problem and not a good trait. :(

It is not that hard to be patient. And this comes from someone who frequently loses and regrows hair. I had many "chances" to cave in and give up on long hair.

I'm sure a big part of the reason we see celebrities especially with the extensions and what not is because their JOBS depend on it. If you're not a celebrity or a model, you're far less likely to have extensions than if you are told "We need you to have x type of hair for this shoot. No extensions? OK, you don't get the contract." These women (and sometimes men) are usually contractually obligated to pretty much do (or allow to be done) anything to their hair that their employers demand. Otherwise, they don't get the job. They need to be able to change on a dime- brunette one day, blond the next, straight today, curly tomorrow, short today, long tomorrow. This isn't something that's required of most people.

Do I like it? No, but that's one of the reasons why I'm not a model/actress/etc. *to me personally* it would feel a lot like selling my body- to offer my beautiful hair, my skin, my image up to be distorted/damaged in any way the stylists and advertisers seem fit. (And I realize that the women who do it probably don't feel that way.) I do wish that women would be adored for their natural beauty...but they chose to be in the public eye and all that goes with it.

Plenty of "everyday" people get extensions and other things done too, but I'm guessing that it's way more common with celebrities than it is with "everyday" people.

Good point about celebs! And it turns into a cycle because everyday people replicate them. Now, if there were more natural beauty role models, peoples opinions could really change.

Angelica
March 31st, 2013, 04:53 PM
I think most here are being needlessly harsh. Isn't it up to the individual if they choose to wear extensions or not? Actresses do it for film roles, it gives them more options. Some people choose to wear them just for a night out. And not all hair extensions are made out of real hair, there is very good artifical hair out there now that can even be heat styled. As long as nobody isn't being forced to cut their hair and sell it, I don't see the problem. They're not harming anyone and its their hair they can do whatever they like with it. There are those who can never grow extremely long hair, for genetical reasons or illness. There are worse things in life, but there are also worse things than someone putting a hairpiece in and that hairpiece giving them that little bit extra confidence. There is no need to be so critical.

Kaelee
March 31st, 2013, 05:56 PM
I think most here are being needlessly harsh. Isn't it up to the individual if they choose to wear extensions or not? Actresses do it for film roles, it gives them more options. Some people choose to wear them just for a night out. And not all hair extensions are made out of real hair, there is very good artifical hair out there now that can even be heat styled. As long as nobody isn't being forced to cut their hair and sell it, I don't see the problem. They're not harming anyone and its their hair they can do whatever they like with it. There are those who can never grow extremely long hair, for genetical reasons or illness. There are worse things in life, but there are also worse things than someone putting a hairpiece in and that hairpiece giving them that little bit extra confidence. There is no need to be so critical.

I agree with this. And I have some of those heat-styleable synthetic extensions- they're clip-ins that I wear occasionally for some color. (I only wear them a couple times a year...when I want, for instance, hot pink hair.)

leilasahhar
March 31st, 2013, 07:13 PM
Its just the way they pulled out their hair pieces and started swinging them around as if they were being vindictive, implying that long hair doesn't have importance and is not that beautiful. It is what's inside that counts and If you wear hair pieces, GREAT, GORGEOUS it can look beautiful whether you do or not. :)

piffyanne
March 31st, 2013, 07:31 PM
Its just the way they pulled out their hair pieces and started swinging them around as if they were being vindictive, implying that long hair doesn't have importance and is not that beautiful. It is what's inside that counts and If you wear hair pieces, GREAT, GORGEOUS it can look beautiful whether you do or not. :)

Regarding the women with clip-ons, it seemed to me they were wearing them just for volume. Their hair seemed to be about as long as their hairpieces, it just was much thinner when they came out. :shrug:

truepeacenik
April 1st, 2013, 10:53 AM
On a less crabby note than my earlier post, anyone remember not what to wear and the flight attendant Denise?the real live Barbie girl who thought she, her dog, and everything else was cute (or not cute, if she didn't like it)?
Remember her extensions coming out and suddenly she had nice hair? (But she didn't like the non bouffant look)

Now, I have toyed with clip in unnatural colors for fun and giggles. Can't find any in my length. Close, and I might do a staggered clip to make them long enough.
I also had hair wraps for years in my touring days. I think I spent more on rewrapping tops than originals, all told!

And I work on women with weaves, extensions and wigs. Since scalp and upper neck work is a given in my massages, I check in if the texture is a bit off, or if I can tell part of the hair is from a different head.
(I have learned that the worst thing one can do for texture is dye over bleach)

Hmm. Maybe I equate extensions with a standard of beauty based on being white and blonde. Nothing wrong with being white and blonde, but a lot wrong with a media machine that says this is the pinnacle, no matter what your ethnicity, coloring, height, proportions, etc etc.

Mayflower
April 1st, 2013, 11:16 AM

I think it's really funny how in every thread regarding (how people view) long hair, there will be someone stating that it all comes down to jealousy. Like... how? We long-hairs are not a special breed of people who are superior to others because we have the patience or "knowledge" to get to waist, hip or whatever. Not everyone is envious of us, but I do understand that some members here have bad experiences with other women, when there's a vibe of "I have pretty long hair and that woman looking at me not so she must be jealous and nasty". Of course those people are going to react and behave nasty, I'm not a fan of arrogant people either, or people assuming I must be jealous on something as trivial as hair length.

This was a funny clip of women taking out their hair extensions to show unknowing viewers that their hair is a lot thinner and more "normal" than what it may look like on tv. Wearing extensions and having thicker and/or longer hair than most average people is what is expected of celebs. In this clip they're stating the truth, nothing about long hair is mentioned, nobody is putting anybody down. :confused: The post I quoted seriously boggles my mind.

xoxophelia
April 1st, 2013, 03:02 PM
In a way it makes me feel worse because beauty is all fake nowadays...:(

Instead of making the best of what you got, you get to change what you got...I fear it is not just a short lived trend.

What concerns me most is that the stakes for women continuously get raised. So, more time or money have to be spent to achieve a certain look. That definitely ends up distracting girls and women from actual accomplishment in life when so much energy is focused on outward appearance. I feel like we should try to be healthy and learn to be at peace with imperfections.

cathair
April 1st, 2013, 04:14 PM
The video did made me laugh. To me they are not really extensions, since they are clip in things that are not really adding much length more volume. They are more like hair accessories. Extensions to me are woven or bonded in so they can't be removed like that and add real length to hair.

I am not keen on the trade of human hair for extensions. I really don't see why it is necessary when plastic hair is actually a better alternative. It's cheaper, easier to look after, harder wearing, easier to style and comes in more colours and textures. Using human hair is just madness to me.

However I very much agree with xoxophelia, on an every day basis like that, I think it is raising the takes too high. I gave up my much loved extensions, because the upkeep was too expensive and time consuming, even with professional help. It's just not practical.

chen bao jun
April 1st, 2013, 07:47 PM
I can't take this video very seriously. These fake things can't compete with naturalness and natural beauty. I was at a wedding last weekend that was hair extensions and wig galore (and extensive amounts of makeup and fake eyelashes, etc) and people were admiring me a lot just for looking fresh-faced and natural and not fake and artificial. the faker the people around you are, the more natural stands out, even if it is not 'perfect' (which I certainly am not). Plus, my husband is always happy (and says so) because I can take a walk in the rain, or jump in the swimming pool or go out at a moment's notice because I am not putting a lot of fake stuff on. Nobody in that video had hair anything like the beautiful hair I see here on LHC, even with the extensions or whatever in . and I also noticed a lot that that last lady looked much improved without her wig, even with her natural hair messy--I bet it would be gorgeous if it was cared for just a little bit more!
Celebrities wear these things for their jobs and normal people sometimes wear them for 'fun' and I don't see a problem, but there is a problem when someone feels their natural self is not good enough or pretty enough. Everybody has some good points and some bad points. I focus on my hair because it is one of my good points, but I know people way prettier than I am who have thin and/or short slow-growing hair. My mother, for instance. But with her face and height and figure, she never needed any more hair than she had. No-one has everything and no-one has nothing. The thing is to appreciate what you have and make the most of it (and look natural--guys are seriously turned off by the she's-so-fixed-up-she-can't-be-touched thing. Really.)

chen bao jun
April 1st, 2013, 07:49 PM
double post

leilasahhar
April 1st, 2013, 08:59 PM
Wow. Did it I really come off to you that way?? lol "superior breed", "jealous and nasty" Geez

Wiggy Stardust
April 2nd, 2013, 12:11 AM
I for one rather enjoy how fake beauty is. Being barefaced in generations past wasn't really all that liberating - it just meant that if you got hit with the ugly stick (as many people do), you'd be open for mocking. Now with tanning, fake hair, fake eyelashes, makeup and fake teeth, WE ALL CAN BE BEAUTIFUL.

And what people consider fake is so laughable. Oh I'm not fake because my makeup is more of a dusting, not a full coverage. I can honestly say, dusting or not, it makes a huge damn difference to my face when I wear makeup. Its just hypocritical to judge women on the grams of product they use. And many of the crunchy granola be natural types use products on their hair and stuff ANYWAY. Just because the product label says "olive oil" and not "blah-cone" doesn't mean the process of using enhancement is less fake. Oil is a chemical, water is a chemical.

People have also been wearing wigs ever since the first woman with a tiny ponytail existed. The beauty ideal of thicker=better is hardly new - thicker usually means you're not dying of starvation and are capable of spreading your genes and stuff. Life isn't particularly fair in this regard, but shaming people for wearing a bit of fake hair, and then turning around and praising some knee length around here with "thud-worthy" hair is pretty much a joke. I've seen comments about people envying "arm thickness ponytails" and now we're all "love yourself, natural is better"?

Nope. Nature says we should all smell like BO and poo, have matted greasy hair, and dye at 60. Nature can suck it. My face, my body, and everything I drape over myself should make me into a piece of living art. All of my fake stuff expresses the true me.

WilfredAllen
April 2nd, 2013, 12:15 AM
aaaah that was so hilarious! I feel happy now :) Thank you so much, you made my day

Wiggy Stardust
April 2nd, 2013, 12:17 AM
Today's "beautiful woman" in the advertisements- rail thin, shorter hair, no body hair at all.
I'm sorry, which part of my body do you not consider beautiful - the shorter hair, the natural lack of body hair, or the fact that I'm thin? I love how the embrace nature crowd seems to be the same one that loves to harp on THAT brand of beauty.

duchesswannabe
April 2nd, 2013, 04:53 AM
It boils down to the same thing over and over: If you don't want to do it, don't: If you don't want to use extensions, don't. If you don't want to wear makeup, don't. Experimentation is good. If you want to try these things, so what? If some bozo thinks you are overdoing it, and if you are having fun with it (as I used to with hair spray), think about his or her opinion, and either try it their way or change back to what you enjoy.

And anyone who has gone through a sh*tty adolescence looks-wise where they were looking okay one year and "ugly" the next year can relate to enhancements.

Kherome
April 2nd, 2013, 05:23 AM
I don't wear makeup or fake hair. I am one of those "natural" people that is getting slammed here by some people. I am not being "superior" or any such thing, I just don't believe in fake stuff, makeup, hair extensions, inflated plastic body parts inserted internally. I find it disturbing to say the least. But, I also don't bother those who do it. As long as they leave me alone to do my thing, they are free to go about their merry way, and I leave them alone too. Who cares what someone else chooses to do to their looks? It's their body, their choice.

Mayflower
April 2nd, 2013, 05:47 AM
Wow. Did it I really come off to you that way?? lol "superior breed", "jealous and nasty" Geez

Well, yeah. You speak about being bullied by "envious women" about having and growing long hair. Not really much room for interpretation there, right?

marykatz
April 2nd, 2013, 07:03 AM
That was a funny clip. No wonder this show is beating out "The View". It looks like they have a lot of fun on the show!! Maybe I should start watching.

MonaMayfair
April 2nd, 2013, 07:13 AM
I for one rather enjoy how fake beauty is. Being barefaced in generations past wasn't really all that liberating - it just meant that if you got hit with the ugly stick (as many people do), you'd be open for mocking. Now with tanning, fake hair, fake eyelashes, makeup and fake teeth, WE ALL CAN BE BEAUTIFUL.

And what people consider fake is so laughable. Oh I'm not fake because my makeup is more of a dusting, not a full coverage. I can honestly say, dusting or not, it makes a huge damn difference to my face when I wear makeup. Its just hypocritical to judge women on the grams of product they use. And many of the crunchy granola be natural types use products on their hair and stuff ANYWAY. Just because the product label says "olive oil" and not "blah-cone" doesn't mean the process of using enhancement is less fake. Oil is a chemical, water is a chemical.

People have also been wearing wigs ever since the first woman with a tiny ponytail existed. The beauty ideal of thicker=better is hardly new - thicker usually means you're not dying of starvation and are capable of spreading your genes and stuff. Life isn't particularly fair in this regard, but shaming people for wearing a bit of fake hair, and then turning around and praising some knee length around here with "thud-worthy" hair is pretty much a joke. I've seen comments about people envying "arm thickness ponytails" and now we're all "love yourself, natural is better"?

Nope. Nature says we should all smell like BO and poo, have matted greasy hair, and dye at 60. Nature can suck it. My face, my body, and everything I drape over myself should make me into a piece of living art. All of my fake stuff expresses the true me.

So true! Some people on here are SO offensive. No attraction to "natural beauty' for me whatsoever, not if it means unattractive people using that as an excuse not to wear makeup, or take daily showers!

Kaelee
April 2nd, 2013, 08:11 AM
I'm sorry, which part of my body do you not consider beautiful - the shorter hair, the natural lack of body hair, or the fact that I'm thin? I love how the embrace nature crowd seems to be the same one that loves to harp on THAT brand of beauty.

Huh? I said absolutely nothing about you. I was talking about how 'beauty' ideals had changed over the years. I put 'beauty' in quotes because a) not everyone agrees on what they personally find beautiful and b) these ideals ARE often artificially obtained and rapidly changing.

I said not one thing about any one body type or my own preferences.

leilasahhar
April 2nd, 2013, 08:27 AM
So...you want an apology for me saying that I have long hair and have been bullied by women for my long hair??? hahahaa UMM no. lol Isn't this the LONG HAIR COMMUNITY?? We are mostly here to grow and have long hair ya know? I am going to state that I am proud of my hair..and YES I have been bullied in the past.. and I'll keep stating my opinion whether you like it or not ;)

Kaelee
April 2nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
So true! Some people on here are SO offensive. No attraction to "natural beauty' for me whatsoever, not if it means unattractive people using that as an excuse not to wear makeup, or take daily showers!

Um...what? So if I'm "unattractive" that means I NEED to wear makeup so that I don't offend you?

That statement is completely offensive. No one is here to decorate your world.

And everyone should take daily showers, that's a matter of hygiene, not attractiveness.

Annibelle
April 2nd, 2013, 12:12 PM
I'm an "unattractive" person who neither wears makeup nor showers daily! :disco: And I have no reason to make excuses for it! I don't want to do it so I don't. :shrug:

leslissocool
April 2nd, 2013, 12:16 PM

Unattractive people with make up is just that, unattractive people trying to cover it up. It comes off, you know? Like the extensions and the fake eyelashes. So would you say, because you choose to wear that, you are ugly and trying to cover it up? You really believe that what's under all that fake is ugly? Because I didn't think the women without the wigs and the extensions looked ugly.

It's your choice to wear make up, it's your choice to wear fake hair. It's hypocritical to say no one has envy and no one does anything to make themselves look better, from nail polish to oiling hair to the clothes you choose to buy. But it's really rude to for you to say people are using "natural beauty" as an excuse not to wear make up. Well, I was blessed with AMAZING skin. I don't wear make up, not on a daily basis and not ever when I take many of my photos that I post here. Some people have good genes. I don't need an excuse to "not wear make up" when I look great without it.

Wanna wear make up? Fine. Everyone at one point fakes their beauty, that's THE POINT of wearing make up (even light make up). But butt out on everyone else's choices to not wear make up.

I personally think your comment was really snarky. Sorry I guess that I fit into the standard of beauty naturally, including my skin, so I don't see why I need to wear make up specially foundation, at all. :shrug:.

Annibelle unattractive? You? Pssss I don't believe that for a second!

neko_kawaii
April 2nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Cheerfully unattractive on all counts and joyful at the beauty around me both genetic and via fun things like fake hair and make up. When people express that they have to wear certain clothes or shoes or hair or what have you, that is when I worry. Otherwise, have fun!

spidermom
April 2nd, 2013, 02:00 PM
I'm a little confused. Hair extensions are the cure for hair envy? Or seeing that other women are using extensions is the cure for hair envy?

Either way, nope.

HairFaerie
April 2nd, 2013, 02:26 PM
I'm a little confused. Hair extensions are the cure for hair envy? Or seeing that other women are using extensions is the cure for hair envy?

Either way, nope.

I took it as you shouldn't automatically be envious of someone's thick, long hair because it might not be their own, it might be extensions.:shrug:

Although I have seen people with gorgeous, real long hair, I was never envious because I know I can grow mine long if I want to. I have always chosen to cut it whenever I wanted to. That was MY decision. Why would I be envious of something someone else has that I can also have if I chose to? Also, no point to be envious over someone's waves, curls, straight, etc. hair. My hair type is what I have, that's what I was born with. I do the best I can with what I have. No point of being envious over something I don't have.
If I had a medical condition/medications that made my hair fall out/thin, I probably would wear extensions or a wig. I don't begrudged anyone for wearing them for whatever reason they chose. If that's what they want to do...who cares? What I don't like however, is a bad attitude. I have seen women with long hair that is obviously extensions (usually accompanied by loads of makeup) and they have that attitude like they are all that. That makes me think "Please, you are NOT all that!" Just because someone puts on a bunch of makeup and has long extensions doesn't automatically make them better than everyone else. Some women think they are. To me a person's attitude can have an affect on their "beauty". Bad attitude=ugly in my book. They might be pretty/cute with all that makeup and stuff but if they have a bad/snotty attitude about it - it makes them ugly. Even if a woman has no make up on and walks around acting like she is better than everyone else...I steer clear. I don't like that. That's just my opinion.

As far as makeup is concerned...when I want to wear it - I wear it. If I don't feel like wearing it - I don't!

meteor
April 2nd, 2013, 06:10 PM
I have absolutely nothing against hair extensions (they are probably harder to maintain than natural hair, but I can't judge). However, when I sit close to women with extensions, I can VERY easily see them (if dandruff is visible, then obviously hair extensions at the roots are visible!), and my first thought was, unfortunately: "Is she recovering from some disease, like God forbid, cancer?" It's just a split-second kind of thought, but it does feel like somebody who NEEDS extensions is lacking in health. I know it's just an illusion, but it's still there. Hair extensions can cause damage to your natural hair and even hair loss (if applied incorrectly), but if they make you happy, why not?

AnqeIicDemise
April 2nd, 2013, 09:18 PM
I thought it was an example of 'the grass is always greener...' I don't see why there is a need to get all hissy with one another.

Kaelee
April 2nd, 2013, 10:44 PM
I have absolutely nothing against hair extensions (they are probably harder to maintain than natural hair, but I can't judge). However, when I sit close to women with extensions, I can VERY easily see them (if dandruff is visible, then obviously hair extensions at the roots are visible!), and my first thought was, unfortunately: "Is she recovering from some disease, like God forbid, cancer?" It's just a split-second kind of thought, but it does feel like somebody who NEEDS extensions is lacking in health. I know it's just an illusion, but it's still there. Hair extensions can cause damage to your natural hair and even hair loss (if applied incorrectly), but if they make you happy, why not?

I just don't know how anyone can stand living with tracks of fabric in their hair. :lol: Even the single strand ones, I would think would be difficult to maintain and just flat out annoying!

piffyanne
April 3rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
Um...what? So if I'm "unattractive" that means I NEED to wear makeup so that I don't offend you?

That statement is completely offensive. No one is here to decorate your world.

And everyone should take daily showers, that's a matter of hygiene, not attractiveness.
I shower once weekly, but I'm still fresh-smelling the day I take my showers. :shrug:

Different bodies have different chemistries.

heidi w.
April 3rd, 2013, 01:22 PM
Sad.
heidi w.

Kaelee
April 3rd, 2013, 04:15 PM
I shower once weekly, but I'm still fresh-smelling the day I take my showers. :shrug:

Sorry, I should have said if you need to. I think I would be filthy at the end of the week!

marykatz
April 3rd, 2013, 04:16 PM
Sad.
heidi w.
Yeah. I used to like the View. But it has not been as interesting as of late. And now Barbara is leaving.

AnqeIicDemise
April 3rd, 2013, 11:23 PM
Sad.
heidi w.

HEIDI!!! -tackle-

Long_hair_bear
April 3rd, 2013, 11:40 PM
Miss Torrin, Cinnamon Hair, gossamer, etc all make sure that I'm never cured of hair envy!

gnome82
April 4th, 2013, 12:13 AM

the harsh reality of that statement made me cringe

anitacs9101
April 4th, 2013, 12:32 AM

Dunno if I could go quite that that long but I'm with you. I try to shower every other day but it doesn't always happen because I'm just not dirty by then. And my friends are brutally honest (too much so, really) and would tell me if I stank.

Miss Torrin, Cinnamon Hair, gossamer, etc all make sure that I'm never cured of hair envy!

Haha, this!

piffyanne
April 4th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Sorry, I should have said if you need to. I think I would be filthy at the end of the week!

Thanks, Kaelee! xoxo

chen bao jun
April 4th, 2013, 02:06 PM

No, offense, Stardust, but I think this paragraph sums up a lot of what is wrong with our current society. We are all fed the idea that beauty consists of certain things by the media and advertising community and that they can (and should be) bought.
Personally, I can say that I have seen some very pretty and even beautiful women who have very white skin that they do not tan (or who are naturally way darker than anyone ever gets with a tan); short hair or thin hair or both; teeth with gaps between them and even, gasp! a pimple or two. You are not 'hit with the ugly stick' because you do not fit in with mass standards of beauty, in fact, a lot of the time, the truly beautiful woman who is one who is unusual in some way (think, Audrey Hepburn's extreme thinness before this was in style; Princess Diana's very large nose; Jacqueline Kennedy's super wide face with very far apart eyes--there are many more examples).
If you live around people who mock other people for how they look/not fitting in you need to find other friends fast. Seriously.
I repeat, nobody is perfect. There is nothing wrong with some enhancement (even with some enhancement beyond basic grooming--why do people always behave as if 'natural
equals 'unbathed'?) but after a certain point artificial just does not appeal and people do start wondering what the person is hiding under the 'stuff'. And having grownup sons and hearing them talk and teaching in college and hearing the boys talk, if an appeal to men is the point, men actually do not like it when they feel that everything that makes a girl attractive is liable to wash off, or worse, come off when the girl is touched! (newsflash, men like to touch the women they are in love with, not just look at them, touch). Many times I have seen men reject a girl fixed up to look like a tv/model beauty for a girl who has some normal flaws but as if she is REAL.
Plus, as was pointed out, when you say 'everyone can be beautiful' would that include the poorer women in poorer countries who sell the hair that goes into extensions?
No offense is meant and of course anyone can fix themselves up how they and their social circle would like and it is no one else's business, but I think these are some points to think about.

Nae
April 6th, 2013, 08:51 AM
I had a very visceral negative reaction to the video. I can't quite put my finger on why. I didn't find it funny. (Of course, it is rare for me to laugh, even at comedies or professional comedians so that wasn't suprising.) I wish they didn't feel they needed to wear them to look "television ready." I was also uncomfortable with what seemed like a lot of pressure from the group to remove them, especially for the last woman. She really buckled to peer pressure there at the end. If they want to wear extentions and wigs, I don't really care, it was just something about the social situation that evolved in that clip that made me uncomfortable. I don't think I will be watching that show, the clip was too off-putting for me.

Kaelee
April 6th, 2013, 08:00 PM
I had a very visceral negative reaction to the video. I can't quite put my finger on why. I didn't find it funny. (Of course, it is rare for me to laugh, even at comedies or professional comedians so that wasn't suprising.) I wish they didn't feel they needed to wear them to look "television ready." I was also uncomfortable with what seemed like a lot of pressure from the group to remove them, especially for the last woman. She really buckled to peer pressure there at the end. If they want to wear extentions and wigs, I don't really care, it was just something about the social situation that evolved in that clip that made me uncomfortable. I don't think I will be watching that show, the clip was too off-putting for me.

I agree with that about the older lady especially...I don't mean to imply that she's not beautiful naturally (she IS) but in her situation I wouldn't have wanted to remove my wig either. Hair that's prepped for wigging doesn't exactly look good all pinned up and smashed to one's head. (I'm sure her hair is beautiful when it's allowed to be free and shown in its full glory!)

I suspect, being the clip was from a TV show, and I take TV with a barrel of salt, that the women don't have as much 'say' over their wardrobe/hair/makeup as we might like to think. That's why networks hire wardrobe/hair/makeup people after all. It's entirely possible that the women would not be wearing extensions if they weren't on TV, and even then, maybe they wouldn't be wearing them if the network hairdressers hadn't put them on them. It's also entirely possible (probable?) that it's all scripted. Who knows, maybe they don't even wear extensions normally and just put them in for that clip! :lol:

Helenae
April 6th, 2013, 09:09 PM
I think there may be a misunderstanding as to why some LHCers do not like hair extensions and excessive make-up. Anyone is entitled to wear hair-extensions, but we are also entitled to dislike them equally. My reasons for disliking them are :

(1) the immense pressure that it puts on the rest of society to succumb to (what society dictates to be) the 'perfect' hair image. Unfortunately, not every woman can say that she is fully happy with her appearance. So if one woman who is trying her best to accept her physical appearance and love it regardless of whatever labels society puts on it, is surrounded by others who succumb to the ideal of what beauty 'should' look like - this doesn't put her in an easy situation to accept what she was born with and love it regardless. If you have thin hair (which you don't particularly like, but you're trying to come to terms with and be confident about it) but every other female around you with thin hair is wearing voluminous hair-extensions - it's going to be difficult for you not to feel pressurised to do the same. So then you just end up being in a cycle of dissatisfaction. You're dissatisfied with your natural hair (which you haven't been given the support to learn to love), yet dissatisfied with the fact that you are 'faking' your voluminous hair.

(2) it encourages a cultural-dependency on 'beautification'. If a young child is taught from an early age that to be accepted as a 'normal woman' in society, she has to be beautiful, and that to be beautiful, she has to have X, Y & Z (e.g. voluminous hair, big breasts, ridiculously long eye-lashes) - she's going to fall into a routine of 'faking' her beauty to feel accepted amongst her peers. Out of habit, she creates a cycle of dependency on things like fake-eyelashes & hair-extensions and does not feel confident about herself if she does not have them.

I am by no means against make-up or fashion, etc. But I'd say there is a difference between applying an acceptable amount of makeup for your own satisfaction, and applying an amount of makeup that completely distorts your natural appearance so that this is the only way you can feel accepted and valued by other people who conform to the same standards. It's a hard struggle to get out of when you excessively fake your appearance, and it doesn't make you feel good about yourself. I used to wear SO much makeup as a teenager. Now, in my twenties, I've heavily reduced that amount and I literally have to force myself to leave the house on some days without a bit of mascara (because I've created a dependency on these things to feel good about myself). Eventually, I'll get there. But these are a few of my reasons as to why I don't like excessive beauty.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with these views, and if I have, I apologise in advance :)

Kaelee
April 6th, 2013, 09:20 PM
I think there may be a misunderstanding as to why some LHCers do not like hair extensions and excessive make-up. Anyone is entitled to wear hair-extensions, but we are also entitled to dislike them equally. My reasons for disliking them are :

(1) the immense pressure that it puts on the rest of society to succumb to (what society dictates to be) the 'perfect' hair image. Unfortunately, not every woman can say that she is fully happy with her appearance. So if one woman who is trying her best to accept her physical appearance and love it regardless of whatever labels society puts on it, is surrounded by others who succumb to the ideal of what beauty 'should' look like - this doesn't put her in an easy situation to accept what she was born with and love it regardless. If you have thin hair (which you don't particularly like, but you're trying to come to terms with and be confident about it) but every other female around you with thin hair is wearing voluminous hair-extensions - it's going to be difficult for you not to feel pressurised to do the same. So then you just end up being in a cycle of dissatisfaction. You're dissatisfied with your natural hair (which you haven't been given the support to learn to love), yet dissatisfied with the fact that you are 'faking' your voluminous hair.

(2) it encourages a cultural-dependency on 'beautification'. If a young child is taught from an early age that to be accepted as a 'normal woman' in society, she has to be beautiful, and that to be beautiful, she has to have X, Y & Z (e.g. voluminous hair, big breasts, ridiculously long eye-lashes) - she's going to fall into a routine of 'faking' her beauty to feel accepted amongst her peers. Out of habit, she creates a cycle of dependency on things like fake-eyelashes & hair-extensions and does not feel confident about herself if she does not have them.

I am by no means against make-up or fashion, etc. But I'd say there is a difference between applying an acceptable amount of makeup for your own satisfaction, and applying an amount of makeup that completely distorts your natural appearance so that this is the only way you can feel accepted and valued by other people who conform to the same standards. It's a hard struggle to get out of when you excessively fake your appearance, and it doesn't make you feel good about yourself. I used to wear SO much makeup as a teenager. Now, in my twenties, I've heavily reduced that amount and I literally have to force myself to leave the house on some days without a bit of mascara (because I've created a dependency on these things to feel good about myself). Eventually, I'll get there. But these are a few of my reasons as to why I don't like excessive beauty.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with these views, and if I have, I apologise in advance :)

I agree. I think a bigger problem though is that it creates an unrealistic expectation. Lets face it, not everyone (especially not young people just growing up) can tell the difference between a lot of (well applied) makeup and hair extensions, and natural beauty. It means people can (and in my case when I was younger, DO) struggle to achieve that level of beauty...without realizing it's fake. (I mostly blame TV and advertising for this though, not women on the street wearing makeup and extensions.) By the time I realized that hey, real women DON'T actually have skin like that, it's all makeup, photography and photoshop...I had just about ruined my skin trying to achieve what I THOUGHT I was supposed to look like.

chen bao jun
April 8th, 2013, 09:31 PM

Very well put.

UltraBella
April 8th, 2013, 11:57 PM
I really enjoyed the video at first, I felt like they were kind of "coming clean" with the fact that they wear extensions - but I felt a bit awkward for the last lady. Most people would be able to tell she was wearing a wig, nothing surprising there, but you could tell she didn't really want to take it off. And she is certainly lovely without it.

Now days so many people wear fake hair that others just assume it's extensions anyway. I used to get asked about my extensions all the time when my hair was really long. I know some of them didn't believe me when I told them it was all mine - one lady tried to reach in and feel around on my head. She almost lost her hand....... I didn't appreciate it. Now I don't have to worry about it since my last cut.
It doesn't bother me if someone wears them, I just appreciate people being honest about them instead of trying to pretend that they wake up looking absolutely perfect. I think the majority of women looking amazing without makeup and their hair a mess anyway :)

imaroo
April 9th, 2013, 09:42 AM
The thing is to appreciate what you have and make the most of it (and look natural--guys are seriously turned off by the she's-so-fixed-up-she-can't-be-touched thing. Really.)

I just want to point out that this isn't always true. Men have just as many varied opinions as women. Some women like facial hair on men, some don't. Some women love long hair on men, and some don't. Some men like long hair on women, and some like short hair on women. Some men like make up and hair and other "fake" things on women. Hair extensions, heavy OR light make up, perfume, tattoos, piercings. It's all just decoration.

My husband likes when I girl myself up. Hairdo, jewelry, perfume, make up. It doesn't mean that he doesn't find me attractive when I don't. He sees me that way every day and loves me anyway. It's just something fun and decorative to do. I enjoy it and he enjoys it.

When I wear make up I'm not suffering from some delusion that people don't think I'm wearing make up.

Kaelee
April 9th, 2013, 09:52 AM
When I wear make up I'm not suffering from some delusion that people don't think I'm wearing make up.

This line made me giggle. I'm wearing BRIGHT EMERALD GREEN eyeshadow right now. I certainly hope no one thinks my eyelashes look natural (they're coated in lengthening mascara). I occasionally (though not today) wear intense red or fuchsia or purple lipstick....I can't imagine anyone thinks I the skin above my eyes is actually bright green and oh yea...changes colors every day. Nor does it sparkle. Nor do I have naturally occurring black lines around my eyes.

It honestly never occurred to me that anyone might wear makeup and honestly think that no one realizes they're wearing makeup. Even the most neutral of eyeshadows and the most natural of lipcolors (with the exception of some tinted balms) do not look like they are naturally occurring in humans. About the only thing I could get away with as "natural" is a little blush, concealer and tinted lip balm. Even mascara is obvious.

ETA: Oh and Ultrabella, I can't believe someone had the audacity to TRY TO FEEL YOUR HEAD FOR EXTENSIONS. That level of rudeness just confounds me. I guess nothing should surprise me anymore, but I would have been seriously tempted to break that woman's arm!

imaroo
April 9th, 2013, 10:00 AM
This line made me giggle. I'm wearing BRIGHT EMERALD GREEN eyeshadow right now. I certainly hope no one thinks my eyelashes look natural (they're coated in lengthening mascara). I occasionally (though not today) wear intense red or fuchsia or purple lipstick....I can't imagine anyone thinks I the skin above my eyes is actually bright green and oh yea...changes colors every day. Nor does it sparkle. Nor do I have naturally occurring black lines around my eyes.

It honestly never occurred to me that anyone might wear makeup and honestly think that no one realizes they're wearing makeup. Even the most neutral of eyeshadows and the most natural of lipcolors (with the exception of some tinted balms) do not look like they are naturally occurring in humans. About the only thing I could get away with as "natural" is a little blush, concealer and tinted lip balm. Even mascara is obvious.

ETA: Oh and Ultrabella, I can't believe someone had the audacity to TRY TO FEEL YOUR HEAD FOR EXTENSIONS. That level of rudeness just confounds me. I guess nothing should surprise me anymore, but I would have been seriously tempted to break that woman's arm!

I have a teal eye shadow that I like to wear regularly along with teal jewelry, and a teal sweater. I honestly tend toward monochromatic fashion WAYYYY too much.

Honestly, I think most of us make too big of a deal of this stuff. "Be natural!" "Don't be ugly!" Men aren't the problem. It's the girl on girl sniping that's the problem. All this decoration for me is just fun.

HylianGirl
April 9th, 2013, 10:13 AM

There was a girl in my school who had obviously highlighted hair, it didn't look bad, but it just didn't look natural, the lines were very straight and her roots were much darker, and there are many people who have hair like that and it's ok, but she insisted she was naturally blonde and got angry when people said otherwise. You could even tell when she got her roots redone, there's nothing wrong in doing that, a bunch of people dye/highlight their hair, but there are people indeed who think they can trick everyone else.

Although back when I chemically streightened my hair, many people thought it was natural, and got surprised to see my natural texture, it was weird xD

Ultrabella what a rude woman! Some people just lack common sense

Kaelee
April 9th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I have a teal eye shadow that I like to wear regularly along with teal jewelry, and a teal sweater. I honestly tend toward monochromatic fashion WAYYYY too much.

Honestly, I think most of us make too big of a deal of this stuff. "Be natural!" "Don't be ugly!" Men aren't the problem. It's the girl on girl sniping that's the problem. All this decoration for me is just fun.

Exactly! I've rarely ever gotten comments from men (and when I have, they've been positive. Not creepy positive but "OMG your eyeshadow is gorgeous! How did you do that!" when I started showing off my eyecolor fun at work, when I used to save that for home...)

There was a girl in my school who had obviously highlighted hair, it didn't look bad, but it just didn't look natural, the lines were very straight and her roots were much darker, and there are many people who have hair like that and it's ok, but she insisted she was naturally blonde and got angry when people said otherwise. You could even tell when she got her roots redone, there's nothing wrong in doing that, a bunch of people dye/highlight their hair, but there are people indeed who think they can trick everyone else.

Although back when I chemically streightened my hair, many people thought it was natural, and got surprised to see my natural texture, it was weird xD

Ultrabella what a rude woman! Some people just lack common sense

I always find it a bit weird when people get angry if someone DARES to think that their haircolor is not natural. Especially when it's OBVIOUSLY not natural. Three inches of jet black roots? Yea, no one believes you're a natural blonde. Seriously. Get over yourself.

My haircolor confuses people. I actually find it kind of amusing. People ask if it's my natural haircolor or if I dye it. They're really not sure. I had more than one person tell me "if that's your natural hair color it's the most amazing natural haircolor I've ever seen! You dye it right? You have to...right?" :lol: And I could tell by his body language that he really was not sure if I did in fact dye it. Funny stuff. Other people are shocked when they find out that I do in fact dye my hair. I always thought it was obvious. I mean, orangey-cherry cola- hair is NOT natural...right?

Dying hair...really no big deal. A lot of people do it. I don't understand why people freak out.

joflakes
April 9th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Aww! That was a very refreshing clip! :laugh:

eresh
April 9th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks for posting this!
I shared it onwards for other girls/women to see!