PDA

View Full Version : Postpartum Shed

Cirafly24
March 29th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Is there anything I can do about this?

My hair got noticeably thicker while I was pregnant, and hardly shed at ALL for the whole pregnancy. I would get like 2 shed hairs a day. I had my babies on 12/19, and for 3 months everything stayed the same with my hair. Within the last week, it has started to shed. A LOT. I have big hairball every time I brush or comb, and it's coming out in the shower, too. I really can't tell if it's much more than pre-pregnancy, but the change is so drastic and sudden that it's freaking me out.

Mothers- did you have a big postpartum shed? How long after birth? How long did it last? Did your thickness suffer greatly, or did it just go back to what it was before you were pregnant? Am I going to end up with really thin ends? :(

leslissocool
March 29th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I didn't have any shed postpartum, but I had alopecia during pregnancy (bald spots the size of quarters with no hair at all). it grew out pretty quickly though. My hair did thin out a lot, but it grew back it took a good 6-7 months after my kids were born to get thick again. The doctor told me it was because of hormonal unbalance, some women shed during pregnancy and some after, when your hormones go back to normal it should stop.

jeanniet
March 29th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I don't remember my hair getting noticeably thicker during pregnancy (it's pretty thick anyway), but yes, the postpartum shed both times was heavy. I shed quite a bit as it is, but postpartum it seemed like there were gobs of hair everywhere--watch the diapers! I'd guess it was at least twice my normal shed. It didn't last too terribly long, maybe a month or two, and overall thickness was about the same. I probably would've been alarmed if it had gone on and on, but it gradually went back to normal.

Rainbow2911
March 29th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I went back to my original thickness. And I freaked out every single time, thinking I would go bald as it came out in handfulls! I would say take extra care that you are getting all the nutrients you need (especially iron) but other than that there isn't much you can do. At the mercy of hormones!

rock007junkie
March 29th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I'm sorry you are going through this. I know it sucks. Mine shed was pretty bad. I ended up with two huge bold spots on the sides of my hairline that took quite a while to fill in. My shed happened around the 6-7 month (just when i thought I was home free). I used monistat which worked well for the regrowth and to stop the shed Neelibhringadi oil. I saw the difference with the oil on the first application

vindo
March 29th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I have lost hair 3 times due to hormones, so I can say a few things about this.

The lower shed count in pregnancy has to do with hair staying on your head for longer (Anagen/growing phase). It does not necessarily get thicker as in -more hair than your natural potential-, it rather reduces taper. Some women who have a higher shed count than average before pregnancy especially notice a difference.
Once your hormones drop, your hair enters a resting phase for about 3 months, then it begins to fall out as the hair bulb is getting ready to grow new hair (that is the good news!). It simply pushes out the old hair.

You don't necessarily have to have a big shed after pregnancy. Some women shed more, some less, some even not at all. This is because the surge of hormones affects us differently. It can even vary from pregnancy to pregnancy.

If your body is doing a great job balancing out these hormones, you will not shed too much and it should end within 1-3 months. If it throws your body off a great deal, you can shed much more, like bigger hair balls every. It can last only 3 months but sometimes even 6 months. Rarely have I heard of women shedding for longer, but some deal with mild imbalances and higher than average shed count (or acne and other hormone related problems) for years after.
This would not be considered normal.

I started shedding 4 months after pregnancy, it stopped after 3 1/2 months. I lost a lot of hair rapidly though, which caused my temples to go bald.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ximE9O6FbdI/T0psE8hVq3I/AAAAAAAAKQM/b8nMdZr82Jg/s1600/Financial+Minister1-1.jpg
I also lost about 0.6 inches of overall thickness and my ends were pretty thin (see siggy feb 2012). I trimmed a bit and the regained a got amount of thickness by fall.

I just went through another partly hormone related shed after my period returned (at 12 months postpartum). Despite still breastfeeding exclusively...so maybe a bit too early. My body must have been really shocked again, because this time I also developed acne. I usually don't have acne.
I tried something different this time, hoping to stop the shed sooner. I took herbal supplements.
Some of these were said to balance hormones, some can help detox. The detox part is somewhat important, because the toxins can have an effect on your body's balance and in turn also hormones.
With all the supplements I took, I noticed changes fast, and my shed count at least lowered immediately. I shed an almost normal amount and a little over two months after I started taking them, my shed stopped.
They also cleared up my acne for the most part. It was pretty bad at some point.

My hair does not look too bad after the shed and surprisingly my ends did not thin as much this time.

My shed count is now lower than pre pregnancy btw. and I seem to have less taper.I am pretty sure I had some mild imbalances years before I got pregnant.

I have documented everything about my postpartum shed and all other sheds on my blog www.longhairedatheart.blogspot.com. I have been working on getting healthier (with success) and hope that my hormones will one day be really balanced and not affect me as much any more. It has gotten a lot better though :)

Btw. when I shed I like to wash more often to get out more shed hairs without it looking like huge balls of hair, ;) and I wear headbands a lot to cover up any thinning. Good thing my little one is also doing a great job at distracting me :D.

Wishing you a very slight and speedy postpartum shed!

kittengirl
March 29th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I am already worried about this. I am 26 weeks pregnant and my shedding has seemed about the same as it ever has all during pregnancy. I'm worried I will lose a ton postpartum and not be able to continue growing it out :( I'm just paranoid but that is my fear right now.

Fantak
March 30th, 2013, 06:00 AM
kittengirl if pregnancy hormones didn't affect your hair while you are pregnant then chances are they won't affect them postpartum either :)

vindo
March 30th, 2013, 06:13 AM
kittengirl if pregnancy hormones didn't affect your hair while you are pregnant then chances are they won't affect them postpartum either :)

I don't think that is true for everyone sadly. I know many moms who did not see a change, and still shed kitties after. :(

bunzfan
March 30th, 2013, 08:18 AM
My hair was only APL when i had my last baby 3 years ago i had increased thickness while pregnant but, i don't remember losing much hair afterwards maybe i was just lucky.

leslissocool
March 30th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I don't think that is true for everyone sadly. I know many moms who did not see a change, and still shed kitties after. :(

Yup, and many just don't even notice. I didn't notice my thinning while pregnant until I had PATCHES gone, and not on my temples, like on top of my head that I had to cover with a different part.

When I was a teen, I was put on this crazy medicine because my family thought I had a fungus and I had bold patches, the same ones I had while pregnant. I told that to my doctor and he told me it was hormonal and that sicne it happened again it was really not a fungus but my hormones and he was right.

Hormonal changes affect everyone in different ways. Some has more body hair, some have more hair on their heads, some like me seem to lose it :(.

ravenreed
March 30th, 2013, 03:08 PM
My hair was extremely thick before pregnancy. I had a huge shed after both sons were born. I never quite got back to my previous thickness, alas. However, it did stop soon afterwards, and my regrown hairs eventually caught up with the rest of my hair. It took a while because I my hair was fairly long at the time. It will eventually pass, is all I can say.

kittengirl
March 30th, 2013, 03:39 PM

That is a hopeful thought!

kittengirl
March 30th, 2013, 03:40 PM
And....not so hopeful, lol. I think I'll just go into it with the mentality that I am still going to grow it out, and then I will take the best care of it I can and see what happens. It's finally getting longer, I don't want it to go bye-bye!

ravenreed
March 30th, 2013, 04:00 PM
You won't lose all your hair, even if it might feel like it at times. My hair loss was fairly extreme compared to all my friends and relations. Even so, I have plenty left. :blossom:

And....not so hopeful, lol. I think I'll just go into it with the mentality that I am still going to grow it out, and then I will take the best care of it I can and see what happens. It's finally getting longer, I don't want it to go bye-bye!

vindo
March 30th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Hormonal changes affect everyone in different ways. Some has more body hair, some have more hair on their heads, some like me seem to lose it :(.

My body hair fell out too and stopped growing back. I barely ever needed to shave my legs! (That was the good part of hormones haha)

Kittengirl, I was able to keep my hair fairly long despite the sheds. With the right trimming method it can thicken up quickly. I always noticed a lot of bettering with monthly trims while maintaining for a bit.
After my next pregnancy I will take the herbs sooner to balance things faster and hopefully I can reduce the shedding just like I did earlier this year.

kittengirl
March 30th, 2013, 04:33 PM
You won't lose all your hair, even if it might feel like it at times. My hair loss was fairly extreme compared to all my friends and relations. Even so, I have plenty left. :blossom:
That is good to know, thank you! :)

kittengirl
March 30th, 2013, 04:34 PM
My body hair fell out too and stopped growing back. I barely ever needed to shave my legs! (That was the good part of hormones haha)

Kittengirl, I was able to keep my hair fairly long despite the sheds. With the right trimming method it can thicken up quickly. I always noticed a lot of bettering with monthly trims while maintaining for a bit.
After my next pregnancy I will take the herbs sooner to balance things faster and hopefully I can reduce the shedding just like I did earlier this year.

I'll keep that in mind Yes, your hair does look very nice in your siggy pic, even when it is thinner.

vindo
March 30th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I'll keep that in mind Yes, your hair does look very nice in your siggy pic, even when it is thinner.

Thank you! My thickness basically just got reduced some during hormonal sheds. The last two times it was about 0.5-0.6 inches from my ponytail which really can be survived.

kpzra
March 30th, 2013, 06:49 PM
My hair didn't really change when I was pregnant (maybe a bit less shedding) and afterwards I just had my normal shedding.

Cirafly24
March 30th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Thanks so much for all the info, emichee! I sure hope my shed doesn't last too long.

owlathena
July 24th, 2013, 11:02 PM
I'm just about 3.5 months postpartum and just started to noticeably shed more :( Hope it doesn't last long!

glittergloss
July 25th, 2013, 01:21 AM
I didn't notice any shedding after my first was born but with my 2nd baby, I noticed that I started shedding a few mo.'s after birth and it was lots. Now pregnant with my 3rd, I might get some/lots of shedding again after birth.

Eolan
July 25th, 2013, 03:38 AM
I'm really happy I found this thread, since I was about to start one just like it.

I'm still pregnant, 36 weeks, and I barely shed at all. My hair is just a big mass right now. A bit scared about the eventual post partum shed, but it's good to read that several of you who have experienced it says it didn't last too long.

Agnieszka
July 25th, 2013, 05:07 AM
My hair during pregnancy looked the same, no thicker, no thinner. Unfortunately postpartum shed got me with full force and I lost a lots of hair. My temples were thinning, like I was getting bald! I have to mention I have fine hair and not many of it so I really noticed a difference and not only me :-(
It did stop after couple of months, around when my son was one and I noticed I'm growing a fringe. I had a fringe of new hair. Took ages to grow back. But my hair is back to normal now after two years. Hopefully postpartum shedding won't happen to you!

mamaherrera
October 29th, 2013, 10:59 AM
My hair didn't really change when I was pregnant (maybe a bit less shedding) and afterwards I just had my normal shedding.

That's how I was with my first three, no real changes. Now pregnant with number four, after a big mess of hormonal imbalances, my shedding has dropped TONS, but still to say I still have some shedding, not like some who claim to have 0 shedding while pregnant. So I'm hoping I won't have a major mass of shed afterwards. Always hope for the best. I would love to keep this baby in me to keep the hair shedding low, but my stomach is tired of being overly extended!

Applegirl84
October 29th, 2013, 12:33 PM
My hair got nice and thick when pregnant with my twins. 3 months after they were born I shed a lot. It went on for a couple months. The good news is that they are almost 2 now and my hair is longer and just as thick as before I got pregnant with them.

I DID trim more during the shed and pretty much for the first year of their life, so I didn't gain any length. I also wore my hair up a lot and didn't wash it as often while I was busy with them. It was a pleasant surprise when they were over a year old and I actually paid attention to my hair again, because it was probably in better shape then ever before due to benign neglect :)

EDIT: Just realized that this is an old post ... oops