PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here feel like they might not 'suit' long hair?

millyaulait
March 29th, 2013, 09:29 AM
This is probably a total long-shot, but.....

I'm creeping closer to waist & I haven't had my hair this long since I was a child.

I'm starting to feel that my face doesn't look very good when my hair is down. I'm not sure why, I have side bangs & they make it a little better, but still....

I feel like my face looks a bit dragged down, slightly aged. When I have my hair up this all disappears.

I want long hair, I love the feeling of it, I just never thought that I wouldn't look good with it down. I'm not one for doing up-dos every single day forever.

I'm not really sure what to do, I feel frumpy and strange. Does anyone else feel like this, or has done during their growing journey?

Tristania
March 29th, 2013, 09:42 AM
This is why I keep shorter layers to frame my face. I know most people on LHC seem to be heavily against layers, but I couldn't live without them. I don't think I would ever wear my hair down if I didn't have my layers and V-cut, as I remember looking and feeling very frumpy before I got them. My layers and V-cut add a lot of dimension and movement to my hair, and really flatter my face.

Dziip
March 29th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I'm in the same questioning you are.
I don't have any answer and don't ask around me since my mom hates (ok, dislikes but strongly) long hair...

I need to reach waist before asking myself if my long hair really suit me or not. Like you, I love the feeling way too much to give up on them !

Dziip
March 29th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Gosh, sorry ! So much lag and failures... if someone is able to erase this triple post, please, do :)

lazuliblue
March 29th, 2013, 09:53 AM
....I feel like my face looks a bit dragged down, slightly aged. When I have my hair up this all disappears.

If you prefer your hair when it's up maybe you could do more half updos? (That word looks really weird, I had no idea how to make it plural! :o) That way your hair will be off your face and give more of the illusion of an updo, without having to sacrifice the length.

I'm a bit worried long hair won't suit me. I mean, you can see from my avatar I've had a relatively long before, but I didn't take much notice of my hair then and had NO idea how long it was. Still, I'll just have to wait and see!

melusine963
March 29th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I know that long hair doesn't suit me. When it's loose it pretty much swallows me up, and buns don't really suit me either. That said, I don't care. I like my hair long and I'll keep it long until I'm bored. Luckily people are too polite to say anything negative to my face. :)

Chromis
March 29th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Plenty of us wear our hair up every day. Why not? I don't like hair in my face and I love using my hairtoy collection so I have mine down very rarely indeed. It is one of the biggest pluses to long hair to me is the ability to put it up!

Tabitha
March 29th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Yes ... and that combined with the practical hassles of caring for long, thick, fine, tangly hair drove me to cut it. I have had so many spontaneous, honest compliments since I went for the chop last summer, it's been really invigorating.

Mandie
March 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM
When I flipped my head at 4am and lopped off sixteen inches of hair a few years ago I had a toooon of people telling me the shorter cut was way better and long hair made my face look long. I like the feeling enough not to care. ^^;

battles
March 29th, 2013, 11:48 AM
You can always change whatever you aren't happy with. :) You could add layers if you don't have them, or change the style of your bangs. Or add face framing layers.

If you're feeling frumpy and unhappy with your hair, you should definitely try to find something that will make you feel better. :flower:

torrilin
March 29th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Down looks good on me. My partner adores my hair down. Really, almost everyone does.

I pretty much hate having my hair down. I like my hair up, in a braid, in a bun, in a braided bun, just please god not LOOSE and inviting tangles. It's a lot less tangle prone now that it is long enough and heavy enough to not serve as a self defense field or ninja attack hair... but it's still fine and tangle prone, and it will always be fine and tangle prone.

I'm not opposed to layers on general principles. I just don't like hair in my face, and my natural wispies soften updos enough to suit my taste. With how fine my hair is, most cut in layers look really strange and they don't really fit in scale with the rest of my hair. Too clumpy and blocky, so it winds up looking very harsh. I'm really sensitive to scale tho for most things, and the fine hair "goes" with my (regrettably) doll like features and rather Victorian figure. I'd really rather work with the assets I have and highlight the good points. So for me, cut in layers are a no-no. The kind of natural layering you get as hair develops a fairy-tale hemline works better on me, and it makes my hair easier to work with.

My hair is for me. I wear it in ways that are comfortable for me, and leave me happy with my appearance. So it really doesn't matter whether I look good to other people with long loose hair... what matters is that I'm happy.

(all that said, yes, I do want my hair to be pretty, and most of my day to day updos are ones that suit my hair and face... I've got the really mixed up color that a lot of people with ash blonde or ash brown hair have, where the darks are DARK and some of the natural highlights range up to platinum. This kind of coloration makes French braids look fabulously intricate, and fine hair in general looks really good braided... so it's not a surprise that a lot of my favorite styles use braids. Accent braids, rolled accents and so on all are good too.)

Angelica
March 29th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I think sometimes my hair doesn't suit being long, but I love long hair and I think it suits me! lol! Does that make sense! I just would love thick, wavy hair instead of very fine, thin hair that looks nothing compared to many on this board. I've never been happy with short hair though, and I can't stand layers sorry, perhaps its okay for thick hair though :) I fancy I look a lot younger with it loose and that putting it up (because it can't stay nice too long down) makes me look older and my hair is flat, no volume whatsoever. So we're all different I guess :)

leslissocool
March 29th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Well, I look a lot younger with long hair and I've seen members here too.

I've been told my face is fat with long hair, then the opposite :lol: by those celebrity stylists. My grandmother went to those and spent A LOT of money just to get her hair washed and styled every week. I stopped caring really, I now found out my face does look longer and skinnier with long hair, but I personally like that. My face can look really chubby and pointy which is odd.

swearnsue
March 29th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Having long straight hair along the sides of the face does tend to "drag down" the face. However long hair has a youthfulness about it. For the best of both worlds, you could wear your hair up, or half up more often. One thing I like to do is braid my hair when wet, when it dries I have a lot of waves and that adds more "lift" to the look.

jacqueline101
March 29th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I feel like its a love hate relationship with my hair. I love the length but I also hate it it's not long enough in my book. I also love the progress Ive made but I'm bored and need a change.

Zesty
March 29th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I've been worrying about this some lately. My hair is much flatter and "just hangs there," etc., now that it's long, and I can't help but feel that I looked better with MBL hair that I wore down with bangs and washed every day. But I know I would miss the updos I can do now, and stretching washes, if I cut it shorter. I'm just invoking the 2 week rule again and again. ;P

Andrea H
March 29th, 2013, 04:26 PM
I know I look better with shorter hair, I have a long face. But I like having hair to play with, even if it makes me look a bit horse face. :P

missketi
March 29th, 2013, 04:41 PM
My family would tell me that all the time before, my friends told me I look better with short hair and one of the hairdresser's I've been to told me that "girly" hair doesn't suit me(whatever that means) but I'm growing my hair long .
I learned not to care. I did love my short hair when I had it but it's too much work for me. I'm lazy as hell.

And besides, they told me I should wear heels because I'm short, bla bla, to have short hair because it makes my face shorter..... Do I listen? No.
They stopped with those you should cut your hair short when they realised I ignore them very well. They even compliment my hair now( and now it's not even long, shoulder/apl and I'm growing my brown hair from bleach!!) so go figure that( thank you lhc)

cooklaezo13
March 29th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Long straight hair worn down doesn't suit my face. I look good in updos. I love long hair too much to cut my hair short ever again. I wear it up or braided most of the time. When I want to look my best, I do heatless waves or curls and wear it down.
Long hair is very versatile, so you can find a style that suits your face with your long hair, you don't have to cut it short to flatter your face.

Latte Lady
March 29th, 2013, 05:41 PM
It's the opposite for me. When I wear my hair down I look like I'm eighteen. This has always been the case for me. I remember when I was sixteen my Dad asked me to take my hair down so I could get child prices at an amusement park. Child prices being anyone twelve and under. I got the discount.
I don't feel as if having my hair up ages me any, as I look younger than I really am, but I'm not carded when I do.

cooklaezo13
March 29th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Long straight hair worn down doesn't suit my face. I look good in updos. I love long hair too much to cut my hair short ever again. I wear it up or braided most of the time. When I want to look my best, I do heatless waves or curls and wear it down.
Long hair is very versatile, so you can find a style that suits your face with your long hair, you don't have to cut it short to flatter your face.

starry
March 29th, 2013, 05:53 PM
yeah I was thinking about this last night- im at cb and I thought- Im going to be early thirties with this fine red hair hanging like three or four spaghetti strings down- making my face stick out- wrinkles and all. i kinda do think I can just put it up or do an accent face framing braid or something... but still it is a thing for sure.

Sunny_side_up
March 30th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I've been googling long layered hairstyles, my oh my such a variety of pretty looks... so im keen on growing more(im doing year of no trims) With the thought in my mind that i want to get some nice length then get it layered up! I don't do many updoes, ignore my hair most weeks and am pleasantly surprised at the growth since Dec '12. Ive had bobs when younger and dont think i'll ever go there again, ive had shoulder length heavily layered hair too, easy for me to take care of but beautiful lengths are beckoning me. Mid back is max for me, see how i feel at BSL. Maybe that'll be where i'll keep it at.