PDA

View Full Version : Help! I am in the "Midback Abyss" where I have the urge to cut...

utdesertrunner
March 28th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Like the title says...this is always where I cut to something short. I am in that "not long...but not trendy" phase for me. Also, this urge always hits me in the spring when I want something fresh and new. I really really want long hair. Any words of motivation to get me through this phase?

Also, what do you do when you need something fresh? I have henna, so a new color is out.

Thanks!

Micayla47
March 28th, 2013, 10:47 PM
i'm in the same boat, also with henna. have you tried buying hair toys? or clip-on bangs? that's my next move. also, taking pictures helps. i've only been growing my hair out for 10 months and i can already see a lot of progress in the pictures. plus, if we don't cut, we'll be at waist by this time next year!

Ravenwind
March 28th, 2013, 10:59 PM
I would try doing some updo's to get your mind off of wanting to cut your hair. :)

Mandie
March 28th, 2013, 11:05 PM
I have the same problem. I'm at just-past-waist which is where I usually do a huge dramatic chop. Just do things that remind you of how much you love your hair -- wear it down your back while you dry it, take photos where it looks long, do some updos that let you forget the length while also being exciting because you couldn't do them at a previous length. Sadly growing is an act in patience and it can be HARD!

NymphSpirit
March 28th, 2013, 11:19 PM
I would try doing some updo's to get your mind off of wanting to cut your hair. :)

This worked for me :)

Think of this: waist is such a big achievement, it's like the begining of real long hair, when I reached waist I felt like I was in a whole different phase when it came to hair length, and that's also when people started telling me "Your hair has gotten so long!" so for now try to ignore it as much as possible, you'll be out of the abyss in no time and you'll be so happy you didn't do anything of what your head's telling you to do right now :p

spirals
March 28th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Oh, I was there over the winter. I wasn't into full updos at the time, so I found different ways of doing half-ups, like two braids meeting in the back or a small orchid bun made with a stick at the back of the crown. I didn't know about parandi, but they would've helped it feel longer. Strangely, now that I'm creeping past waist, I prefer full updos or braids.

utdesertrunner
March 28th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Thank you SO much for the encouragement! I will try out some updo's and try to forget about it for a bit. I liked the suggestion that this time next year I could be at waist :)

Seeshami
March 29th, 2013, 12:15 AM
You need to divide it up into mini milestones to help. Midback is the longest of the growth areas to get out of in my opinion. I had my hair up constantly during mid back because I hated it and then I was suddenly at TBL and confused how I got there.

joflakes
March 29th, 2013, 01:30 AM
If you grew your hair from much shorter just remember how awful those phases were and that you probably wouldn't want to have to go through them again! Whenever I have a (tiny usually!) urge to cut I think of how much of a PITA it was to grow from pixie-ear, from ear-chin, from chin-shoulder and from shoulder to where I am now. Then I look at some old photos of those phases to remind myself of the pain it was! =) Failing that, definitely recommend trying up-dos and the like, too! :) FWIW, I would love to have your length hair!

MegaMystery
March 29th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Maybe if you want a change, try changing something else first. I mean you might think that you really want to change something about your hair, but in my experience that 'it's-spring-I-need-to-change-something-feeling' will probably be satisfied with just about any change you make to your life or home. So, paint a wall in your house, rearrange some furniture or do a massive spring-cleaning! Chances are you will forget about changing your hair after you do something like that :)

MissAlida
March 29th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Change your makeup, change your nail polishes, you clothes, your updos. Do a microtrim, just to have that "I've cut my hair" feeling, s&d, do deep treatments. This is what I'm trying to do, since I can't seem to get bast BSL. But I will this time. We will. Hang in there. :o

Kherome
March 29th, 2013, 07:43 AM
i'm in the same boat, also with henna. have you tried buying hair toys? or clip-on bangs? that's my next move. also, taking pictures helps. i've only been growing my hair out for 10 months and i can already see a lot of progress in the pictures. plus, if we don't cut, we'll be at waist by this time next year!

Is the photo in your signature current? Cause if so, you look like you could be at waist in two months...

jacqueline101
March 29th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I'd think about the hard work you put into growing your hair out. The main reason you wanted long hair and keep that in mind.

Lunadriael
March 29th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I know how you feel. BSL is the point where my hair seems to start splitting like crazy and bending all over the place because it's so fine. I guess it's because that's the point it starts rubbing on things. I've kind of been stuck between BSL and MBL for a year now, but I am determined not to give up. To stop myself from cutting I just remember how awful that bob looked on me the last time I sacrificed the length, and how long it took me to grow it all out. Old pictures of said awful bob are a good deterrent. ^-^

I'm also trying to wear it up, forget about it as much as possible and just not touch it, which will hopefully make it grow faster, as there will be less damage destroying my ends. Get some new hair clips or something, or learn a new style as other people have suggested. If the ends feel rough try a few S&D sessions so it feels more tidy. That should make things feel a bit fresher and allow you to enjoy the length you have a bit more.:flower:

utdesertrunner
March 29th, 2013, 08:08 PM
These are such great suggestions! I knew I could count on you all!

Megamystery: I think you hit the nail on the head. I just had an "aha moment" when you said I could probably change just about anything and it would help. We had a bit of a trial here in our family and I think I was searching for something to change. I will try some of the other big changes instead of my last 2 1/2 years of growth.

Khermone: That siggy pic is from September 2012, so I think I am about 4 inches or so from waist...I have a pretty long torso.

OK...off to do a deep condtion and pick out a new color for my kitchen :o I am going to put my hair up and just "forget about it" for awhile. I think these ideas will help me get through the spring urge to chop.

panffle
March 29th, 2013, 08:33 PM
I am at the midback abyss too... and I have to say I love it! It's finally starting to 'feel' long, and just like you, I am about 4 inches away from waist. Just look at it and think, it's so close now! Why would you cut it? Soon it will be even longer, and you will love it even more! Keep taking good care of it and enjoy your hair!

et--cetera
March 29th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I'm in the same boat. I just want it to get longer and I'm thinking about trying some of the methods that are supposed to help it grow longer. Don't cut yours though, especially if you want it long. If you cut it, you'll never get there!

TheMechaGinger
March 29th, 2013, 11:48 PM
I was just feeling this! I gave myself bangs and that took care of it pretty nicely. But if you don't want to take scissors to your hair at all you can always try rearranging your house, buying some new fun clothes or try out some new hairstyles/manicures/makeup styles. Sometimes changing up smaller things can make you feel much better with less of a chance of regret later

earthnut
March 30th, 2013, 01:49 AM
I'm nearing the end of mid-back and I mostly got through it by trying different hair products and care routines. I got really into experimenting with products and the idea of trimming went right out of my mind. :)

Concentrate on another hobby for a while. I also got really into crochet and knitting.

I also agree with experimenting and learning new updos.

And remind yourself that you're nearing waist!!

Micayla47
March 30th, 2013, 09:14 PM
oops i was answering the wrong comment!

Micayla47
March 30th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Is the photo in your signature current? Cause if so, you look like you could be at waist in two months...

Kherome if this was for me thank you!

majesticmoon
August 9th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I found when i mess with my hair in cutting dying etc... Im not truely happy so now i try to change something else. Are you happy with your current skin care regime or makeup? I found that when everything is in good condition hair, skin, nails, etc i love my look so much i dont want to change it. However if you lack in one of these areas due to a bad moisturizer or horried nails you will feel bad all over.