PDA

View Full Version : Henna and Deep Treatments

salamander
March 28th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Do you worry about deep conditioning taking the edge off your henna? I want to give my hair a nice olive oil soak for a couple of hours, but I just henna'd two days ago and I'm kind of worried it might take some of the color out. Am I being paranoid?

Achlys
March 28th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Heavy oiling has actually done that to my henna, but I think it's only noticeable to myself.

KittyBird
March 28th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Heavy oiling has never removed any of my henna, but I've read about several others who have experienced it. I suppose it may depend on how well the henna has taken to the hair and if the hair is damaged/not damaged. I don't think a heavy oiling would remove a lot of henna, but I personally would wait a few more days to let the henna oxidise. :)

CoveredByLove
April 3rd, 2013, 02:19 PM
I have a henna and oiling related question as well...

The first time I used henna, I used a combo of henna and indigo and I like using coconut oil in my hair. My hair is also quite porous from damage from my past abuse to it. lol Well...my hair bled henna (or actually probably the indigo) in the shower for a week afterwards and my results faded pretty quickly.

I'm thinking it was the oils hanging out in my hair that prevented the henna from taking? What do you guys think??? Or is it just porous hair?

I'm about to henna again this week, and if it IS the oils getting in the way, how do I get the oils out of my hair so I get good henna results that stay?! Using clarifying, sulfate infested shampoo?!? :confused:

Rainbow2911
April 3rd, 2013, 04:29 PM
I always see henna in my rinsing water for a week or two after I dye. I've tried henna on clean and oiled hair, and added oils to my mix. If anything I get better results from oiled hair but it doesn't make much difference. How does your hair feel about protein? Maybe trying that before hand will help the henna's staying power.

KittyBird
April 4th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Mam_abshire: It's not unusual that the indigo bleeds quickly, it did for me when I did henndigos. It almost seems that it either goes away immediately or sticks like glue and is impossible to remove. I suggest trying a protein treatment too, as that would at least help the henna stay. I don't think it's the oils that cause the bleeding, as I have hennaed on oiled hair before and I've never had any such problems. You would find a lot more information about this is the Recipes, Henna and Herbal Haircare forum though. There are lots and lots of threads dedicated to henna and indigo. :)

Can I ask what colour are you going for? Are you doing one-step henndigo or two-step?