PDA

View Full Version : I thinned out my hair, hope I don't regret in a few wks (Pics)

kidari
March 28th, 2013, 03:11 PM
So when I wear a topknot to sleep at night it is heavy and my neck is sore when I wake up in the morning. I've been needing to use so much shampoo that I dilute it now and conditioners I need a handful. It takes forever to dry and it just hangs there. I don't bother with heat-free curling anymore since it's now a lot more time consuming and doesn't fully dry sometimes so it was a waste of effort. So last night I grabbed the scissors thinking of cutting of a few inches then I changed my mind, researched the benefits of thinning out coarse heavy hair and went to work with the thinning shears. I tried not to thin it out too much and only focused lightly on the last 3 inches not too far up the hair in case I hate it and want to cut it all out later. The shocking part is now when I shower I feel like I have half the amount of hair, it feels so thin. When I put it in a ponytail it feels so much thinner but it dries faster and it's easier to wash (I'm a daily washer). Here are before and after pics and fingers crossed this is not something I regret in a month or so.

Before:
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc370/kidari4/8decc456-9ef6-407c-b057-bf47f196972c_zpsc56ad303.jpg

After:
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc370/kidari4/2d7142f1-c744-4c9e-bf21-20585e5efbba_zps5f7ba555.jpg

So far it's nice and light but it doesn't lay neatly and kind of looks flyaway. At least it's not shorter...? I was not liking the heaviness.

kelly20364
March 28th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I like it...it actually looks longer for some reason...

SleepyTangles
March 28th, 2013, 03:16 PM
As a fine haired person, thinning is not something I can really get, however they look lovely! They have more wave and I must agree with kelly20364 on the lenght thing!

Kherome
March 28th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I don't see how just thinning the ends a bit would affect how your ponytail feels, but if you're happy, good!

MiaBeth
March 28th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Looks good! My son's super thick hair looks it best when it's had a thorough thinning out. It always seems to lay "nicer" -- when you have that much hair, why not??!

Vrindi
March 28th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I think you were smart to do just the ends in case you didn't like it. Your hair looks very pretty. :)

kidari
March 28th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Thank you :D I do have almost mullet-like shorter layers in the top portion of my head as well that I also thinned in the last 2 inches of length. It's kind of wavy and coarser up top so it tends to look like it's frizzy but it's just the natural texture. That's why my ponytail feels alarmingly thin? I don't think I'm capable of growing longer because how my hair looks down means the world to me and it has to be relatively convenient to wash it daily. The interesting thing is before LHC I always thought I was more on the thin side, it must have been the way my hair was cut as well as all the damage that caused it to thin. Since ceasing the worst habits for over 3 years my hair really feels like I have twice as much as before about 5-6 years ago.

alyaziaaah
March 28th, 2013, 04:24 PM
i used to do this when i had extensions in, mind you, only 30 strands to even out thick hairgrowth and thin ends due to former extreme hairloss. these exensions were about 3" longer than my hair, almost up to hip length and my hair was wavy.
i thinnned them out as well , so i had a deep U with thinnned out ends that looked just like yours. i do prefer that style much more to the blunt cut.
its more fairytale ends like which i find is the most beautiful style.
i wish i could do the same now but my hair is shorter and layered now. it wont work, i have to let it grow more.....

vindo
March 28th, 2013, 04:29 PM
It looks nice!

I have done this once by tieing a ponytail on my forehead over my face and snipping off a bit. It created almost natural looking layers (i simply wanted layers then but it works like natural taper). I also used to taper it with a razor blade when I was younger and it was shorter. I like the look then.

Mischamiu
March 28th, 2013, 04:39 PM
I love it actually, looks great :blossom:

alyaziaaah
March 28th, 2013, 04:53 PM
it does look great

MissDixie
March 28th, 2013, 05:23 PM
It looks really cute!

kidari
March 28th, 2013, 06:03 PM
actually, people always assume my hair is extensions, it's because of the cut mostly... I cannot tell you how many times people I don't know very well have actually reached out and touched my scalp near the nape of my neck, I'm so used to that kind of behavior and reaction now that I don't even blink when it happens again

my buns are now officially even harder to make and they are smaller but what matters to me most is the ease of daily washing

also, thank you for the compliments :o lol this is the third time I took scissors to my hair in the month of March but I didn't take any off the length, the thinning still kept the length

Kaelee
March 28th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Looks amazing! It has a lot more 'bounce' - like your hair is happy! ;)

Sunny_side_up
March 29th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Looks really nice, must feel great too. I dont have the heavy hair troubles, however i think layers are cool and thinking about them to get the sense of movement and shape to my hair

bunzfan
March 29th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I really hope it works out for you but i found after a few weeks the sides looked really thin and now, growing it out is a royal pain.

lapushka
March 29th, 2013, 02:52 PM
It looks great on you, and I hope you like it. I had one experience with thinning out my hair (pixie length) and it turned out pretty bad. She went near the root with her thinning shears, pulling my hair out I guess (that's how it felt). I had short stubs all through my hair the next couple of weeks. She'd thinned out half my hair.

jacqueline101
March 29th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Looks good on you.

millyaulait
March 29th, 2013, 03:13 PM
It looks really nice... :)