PDA

View Full Version : What to wear to a business event: clothing and hairstyle?

arelrios
March 28th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Ok, so in two weeks I will have to attend this event in a convention center. Is for work and I will be with my coworkers and high rank executives from other companies.

Issue I have is I will be basically bar-tending during the day and attending cocktails and formal dinners at night. Sometimes I would be call to be a some of the meetings during the day or I have to talk to people about what my company does, etc.

I am supposed to be wearing formal attire, but from past experiences (last 2 years) wearing dresses and medium heels is not an option because I will be standing the whole day and pouring drinks for the attendees. I have also wore suits and they are everything but comfortable. :rolleyes:

So here are my dilemmas:

Should I forget about the fact that I would have to see this important people and just wear flats, black pants and a shirt and be comfortable? or simply: suck it up and dress up, even though I will be running last minute errands and pouring whisky, sparkling water and champagne for whoever wants a drink? I will also be doing the dishes on the spot. We cannot bring enough glasses.
How should I wear my hair during the day? I got rid of my flat iron already and I would love to avoid the hair dryer (I have a very hairy forehead) I would like to wear my hair in a way that it doesn't leave any bumps or ponytail marks. But I have no experience doing hair-do's.
How should I dress at night? and how to wear my hair?
what about makeup?

A good friend of mine suggested this is an excellent opportunity to "brand myself" and to show that regardless of what I have to do, I can do my best and show professionalism. I agreed, but he also suggested to be girly and smile and show my best face. Again, I agree but is hard when some of the coworkers see you as their maid :mad:(I am very bad at not showing my indignation with these things happen)

Anyway, thanks for reading and I am open for suggestions.

Thanks so much for your help. :)

ETA: I think I posted this in the wrong area... please feel free to move it... I am still learning about the site and is actually my first post :) :D

socks
March 28th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Whenever I need to look professional, I put my hair in a bun and wear black dress pants with a nice blouse, a black blazer, and black work shoes with gel inserts. It's very important for everything to be well-fitted and wrinkle-free. Express sells very nice business attire that's also very comfortable and flattering. It's a little pricey, though, so I like to buy my things second-hand on ebay.

teela1978
March 28th, 2013, 10:08 PM
I'd ditch the heels, flats can be perfectly professional. I would try to dress nicely. A suit might be overboard, perhaps keep a jacket around for later in the evening when you're not bartending?

Kaelee
March 28th, 2013, 10:54 PM
I agree, ditch the heels. There's no reason that you need to wear heels (and because you're standing/running around all day you shouldn't. You'll be far more efficient in flats as well.) A comfortable but classy dress, not over the top, and I agree with Teela, a jacket is a good idea. Hair up and out of the way (in a bun, perhaps, if you can. Maybe a sock bun?) would be a good idea. You don't want it in your face all day.

spirals
March 28th, 2013, 11:47 PM
I think a bun low on the nape always looks classy and conservative. In the evening it could be dressed up with a nice barrette at the side. Fairly neutral makeup is good in business situations. You want well-defined brows, a dark lashline, a lip color that matches the inside of your lip, but a shade or two darker. If you want to dress that up at night, go with a darker shade and a touch of gloss.
I work with food, and there's no way I would want a jacket. A knit top made of a nicer fabric would work with dark dressy pants and flats. I would think 3/4 sleeves would be perfect. You could bring a jacket or a thin sweater for later. A pretty beaded necklace or a scarf would dress up a plain top. Target and New York & Company are good places for this stuff, especially jewelry and scarves.

spirals
March 28th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Just found this: http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-34-sleeve-drapey-knit-button-front-shirt~242253_59.html?source=pla&cm_mmc=128660126&applyPromo=0&promoState=SWING-_-VALI

DancingQueen
March 29th, 2013, 01:31 AM
I agree, ditch the heels. There's no reason that you need to wear heels (and because you're standing/running around all day you shouldn't. You'll be far more efficient in flats as well.) A comfortable but classy dress, not over the top, and I agree with Teela, a jacket is a good idea. Hair up and out of the way (in a bun, perhaps, if you can. Maybe a sock bun?) would be a good idea. You don't want it in your face all day.

Couldn't agree more with this post :)

Panth
March 29th, 2013, 10:12 AM
No heels! Definitely!

Also, no dresses - personally, that would make me feel like you are more there for bartending and decoration than serious networking about your company.

Plain trousers or plain suit-type skirt in black or mid/dark grey (preferably trousers if you're dealing with Westerners, skirt if you're dealing with Asians, particularly Japanese - sounds stupid, but culturally you'll be thought of as more professional with either group that way around). Fairly unfussy shirt/blouse for bartending, etc. Add a nice jacket (not necessarily a suit jacket, maybe a bright colour?) over the top in the evening. Everything should fit you very well. Perhaps also add some jewellery for the evening, but keep it very minimal during the day. Perhaps you could find a plain apron to wear when washing up?

Hair-wise, I would keep it plain and professional - definitely bunned / off the neck and with minimal visible accessories (particularly during the day). Sock bun, cinnabun, Gibson tuck ... something like that. Avoid plaits as some people think them unprofessional.

If you want to show your personality, I would focus on the colour of the shirt, the jacket for the evening and the jewellery for the evening.

Vrindi
March 29th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I think if you do wear heels, save it for nighttime when you're wearing a cocktail dress, and then keep a pair of those fold-up flats in your purse. There is nothing un-dressy about flats, if you find ones that either a) blend into the look or b) have a cool detail that makes them stand out. Keep your feet comfortable!

I'd stick to pants and a nice top, and if you can find a good blazer. I hate blazers and have never been happy with one, but I love the look on others. A nice, black sheath dress should work for any situation, and flats would be perfect with it.

As for your hair, sleek buns, twists, or even a sleek french braid with the tail either tucked up under or rolled into a bun? Hope this is helpful.

arelrios
March 29th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks everybody! I really love your ideas. I will have to find flats , since I own only a pair of black with purple-ish heel.
Is nice to hear about the cultural details (skirt or pants) which I had no idea ... I will have to work in organizing what I already have and see what can I do ��

arelrios
March 29th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks everybody! I really love your ideas. I will have to find flats , since I own only a pair of black with purple-ish heels.
Is nice to hear about the cultural details (skirt or pants) which I had no idea ... I will have to work in organazing what I already have and see what can I do 

mary_whitney
December 17th, 2020, 01:07 PM
I agree with everyone else - no heels while you're bartending. I would find a black flat with a pointed toe.

Either a dress or slacks would be fine, but if you feel more comfortable in slacks then I say go for it. I'm a slacks girl myself. I wouldn't do a full suit unless you have one that matches in color and fabric - amazing how different black fabrics are between brands, lol. Instead, I'd go for black slacks and a grey blazer with a neutral colored blouse or button up. You can take the blazer off during the day and put it on at night if you want. You could also throw on heels at night like other people have suggested.

As for the hair - I'd do a French twist :) It's super easy and super professional. But anything really is fine.

The most important part is dressing in a way that you feel comfortable and confident because your attitude will leave more of an impression on others than your clothes :)

EDIT: OMG I just realized this is a thread from 2013 *facepalm*