PDA

View Full Version : How bad is hairspray, really?

coffinhert
March 28th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I've been a "typical" LHCer for about two years now with fabulous results. I only ever put conditioner and coconut oil in my hair, and I never heat style. My roommate is a "normal" hair girl, and sometimes when we're getting ready to go out I watch her flat iron her hair like the flat iron is a brush, just brushing it over and over for literally 20 minutes to try to flatten it all out. Makes me cringe hard but it's her life and she looks really pretty when she's done.

Anyway I let her give me a makeover last night including my hair, and she used a ton of hairspray, back combed it, and curled it with a curling iron. I had a really hard time sitting still for the curling iron and the heat styling was definitely a one time thing. But I LOVED the way the hairspray gave me so much body. My biggest hair problem is that it falls flat really fast, and i looked like a totally different person when she bumped it up in front!

I want to buy hairspray and do that all the time. Will it undo my awesome natural pretty texture hair or is it not bad? I know I'll have to shampoo occasionally to remove the residue, which I'm ok with. I just don't want to damage my hair with the hairspray... Thoughts? Expert opinions?

leslissocool
March 28th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I don't know but I know you can use beer instead and it gives really nice results.

Vrindi
March 28th, 2013, 12:08 PM
What hairspray does, basically, is create tiny droplets that "glue" individual strands together. What happens, is, the hairs pull against each other and separate over time, and pull away from their bonds. This can tear off some of the cuticles on the hair, as they remain glued to the hairspray. So, over time, it does damage to the cuticle of the hair.

faellen
March 28th, 2013, 12:25 PM
If your hair isn't very fragile, and you're not using tons of hairspray daily, you should be fine. I've never noticed any damage from my occasional hairspray use. Multiple applications of hairspray could potentially cause damage, but if you're washing your hair between applications I can't see you having much of a problem.

melusine963
March 28th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I second what Vrindi said. If you do use hairspray, make sure you never brush or comb your hair without first washing the hairspray out properly. I managed to thoroughly wreck my hair using hair mousse, which also glues the strands together.

EtherealDoll
March 28th, 2013, 12:40 PM
It glues your hair together, so it will damage it in the long run but not as much as a straightener or a curling iron would.

Btw, by 'typical LHCer' you mean you don't use cones or sulphates? If so, then why do think hairspray is okay for hair? (I'm genuinely curious since SLS-and-cone-free people seem to think anything that contains a chemical is going to wreck their hair forever)

Cirafly24
March 28th, 2013, 12:40 PM
I use hairspray almost every day to smooth flyaways in updos, and it has never caused any damage for me.

Are you planning on continuing with the backcombing to make the "bump" in the front? Because that will very likely cause damage.

ravenreed
March 28th, 2013, 12:44 PM
I occasionally use hairspray but would never back comb. I CO the hairspray out before attempting to comb my hair. FWIW, hairspray is much less damaging for me than aloe vera gel or anything with humectants, so like everything else it is a YMMV thing. I also occasionally use a hair dryer but never a curling iron. I can control the amount of heat from the hair dryer a lot easier than a curling iron. Anyway, do what makes you happy. If you notice more damage, then you can decide. I would rather enjoy my hair than worry, personally.

rock007junkie
March 28th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Hairspray is just considered bad because of the drying alcohols. Depends on how often you use it and how often you moisturize your hair it shouldn't be a huge issue I think

HairFaerie
March 28th, 2013, 01:10 PM
There's pictures around here somewhere that shows a close up of healthy hair, hair that has been backcombed, heat damaged and hair sprayed. It's CRAZY! Does anyone remember that and know what thread that pic was in?

akilina
March 28th, 2013, 01:25 PM
My mom has been a daily hair sprayer for years and years. She uses Paul Mitchell firm hold. I do her hair and not ONCE...has her hair ever even felt anything but healthy and amazing. Her hair isn't fine, but is by no means thick. Its just like mine f/m and she has a lot of it.

She doesn't really heat style ever really either. Shes just a normal daily washer, conditioner, maybe a leave in, and a velcro roller in her bangs and sometimes in the length.

I say...uh...Enjoy your hair. You seem to take great care of it all the time, so.... If you want to use a little hair spray once a week don't let a websites opinion rule your hair life and what you enjoy. I don't see it being too damaging. You could always play around with random hair spray recipes that are more "safe" and put it in a spray bottle. There are also light hold sprays that don't bond the hair so much that might work for you.

ETA: One thing to remember if you use it is to never just brush it right out. I personally soak mine in conditioner in the shower to let it take care of its self. The brushing out part is probably the worst.

Lol off topic but you did mention it....it makes me cringe to see my friends use a hair straightener like a hair brush!! Its so much more efficient and less damaging if you do small sections, and make one controlled pass down the length and...wharlar! its usually all it needs. My friends often ask me why their hair is so damaged and Im like..uh...just look at what you are doing. They never change either.

MissAlida
March 28th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by earthnut in a thread of mine, where we were debating the effects of mousse on hair:
http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-spray-accumulation.php

ETA: here is a link to said thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=97835
I have been using mousse twice a week since then, without any visible damage. BUT, I can confess to this: if you put anything remotely sticky into your hair (think mousse, hairspray, gel, etc.), you shouldn't comb or brush it. I've done this a couple of times, when I just needed to make my hair presentable in 3 seconds before running out the door, and the sounds it made was not nice. Hope this helps with your decision. :o

ravenreed
March 28th, 2013, 01:56 PM
That picture is a WEEK'S worth of accumulated hairspray. "What has happened here was that the lady concerned was washing her hair about once a week, and applying hair spray frequently and generously between shampoos. By the end of each week, significant amounts of hair spray had built up on her hair. " Of course there is going to be some serious damage. If I use hairspray, I wash it out that same night.

Originally posted by earthnut in a thread of mine, where we were debating the effects of mousse on hair:
http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-spray-accumulation.php

ETA: here is a link to said thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=97835
I have been using mousse twice a week since then, without any visible damage. BUT, I can confess to this: if you put anything remotely sticky into your hair (think mousse, hairspray, gel, etc.), you shouldn't comb or brush it. I've done this a couple of times, when I just needed to make my hair presentable in 3 seconds before running out the door, and the sounds it made was not nice. Hope this helps with your decision. :o

melusine963
March 28th, 2013, 02:04 PM
There's pictures around here somewhere that shows a close up of healthy hair, hair that has been backcombed, heat damaged and hair sprayed. It's CRAZY! Does anyone remember that and know what thread that pic was in?

There was an old LHC article with lots of pictures and information: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79. I had this bookmarked, but sadly it doesn't work anymore since the server upgrade. I'm hoping it gets fixed, since it was so helpful.

ETA: The article was called "Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating"

coffinhert
March 28th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Good thoughts. My take-away is that it's ok to use hairspray, but once it's in, I should avoid touching my hair. Then I should wash the hairspray out before I go to sleep or comb.

Does CO work or do I need shampoo?

And in response to the question about cones and SLS versus hairspray-- everyone is different but here's my take. I think I'm allergic to SLS specifically so I avoid it in shampoo and toothpaste. My hair is wavy, but Cones make my hair more straight, I find that my hair is softer and has more natural curl with cone-free care.

ravenreed
March 28th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I react badly to SLS so when I shampoo, I try to use it only from the ears down. I use hairspray so infrequently that I usually CO it out, but if I used it often, I would probably worry about build up and use shampoo more regularly. HTH.

Good thoughts. My take-away is that it's ok to use hairspray, but once it's in, I should avoid touching my hair. Then I should wash the hairspray out before I go to sleep or comb.

Does CO work or do I need shampoo?

And in response to the question about cones and SLS versus hairspray-- everyone is different but here's my take. I think I'm allergic to SLS specifically so I avoid it in shampoo and toothpaste. My hair is wavy, but Cones make my hair more straight, I find that my hair is softer and has more natural curl with cone-free care.

lapushka
March 28th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I used to use a few spritzes of hairspray after my S/C, after it had been blowdried, also to fluff it up a little. My hair could handle it; it wasn't bad. If you like it, and want to use it, I say go for it.

SleepyTangles
March 28th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Just this: if you aim to achieve that particular poof on the top f the head, this may be handy - not this specific brand or shop, I've seen them locally here in Boulogne, but this just look identical...

IMO, after two years of "lhc style" care, its normal you feel curious about different styles. If you take good care of your hair pre and post hairspray/backcombing/whatever it won't be too bad. Just maybe not everyday...

http://http://www.georgielocksirishdanceshop.com/small-hairbump-quiffpouf-shaper-3237-p.asp (http://www.georgielocksirishdanceshop.com/small-hairbump-quiffpouf-shaper-3237-p.asp):

Miss Maisie
March 28th, 2013, 03:21 PM
The way I look at it is this: I grew my hair long so that I can have fun with it. Sometimes that involves a little hairspray. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Kherome
March 28th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't say hairspray is ok at all. It glues the hairs together, and when something separates them, it rips the cuticle scales off the hair! Yikes...not for me.

heidi w.
March 28th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Hairspray is not generally good for hair. It won't change your texture. It'll only hold the hair in whatever position you put it in. You'll probably have to clarify more to get it removed.
heidi w.
There's a new book out I saw today: The Miracle Apple Cider Vinegar, published by some doctor who went to all kinds of research about apple cider vinegar. It's good for more than just hair.

ravenreed
March 28th, 2013, 04:08 PM
It depends on the hairspray and how much you use. A light hairspray isn't overly sticky. I am not convinced that some of the LHC approved methods do anything different. Do we have pictures of aloe vera gel on hair, or flaxseed gel under a microscope to compare what days of accumulated use might look like? I suspect anything sticking the hair together or providing 'hold' would do much the same.

I wouldn't say hairspray is ok at all. It glues the hairs together, and when something separates them, it rips the cuticle scales off the hair! Yikes...not for me.

shutterpillar
March 28th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Have you thought about looking for an alcohol-free hairspray? I think that might have less damage on your hair. That is the type I use, though I don't use it daily like you mentioned you would like to do. I only use it maybe twice a month. And I don't back-comb either... it just makes me cringe. lol. My hair is fine and it falls flat quickly as well, but that is something I have learned to accept.
Have you tried sleeping with lightly damp hair in a sock bun on top of your head? That gives me a bit of volume and decent curls. Again, not something I do everyday because my hair is fine and gets damaged easily, but it's fun to do every once in a while.

lapushka
March 28th, 2013, 05:55 PM
It depends on the hairspray and how much you use. A light hairspray isn't overly sticky. I am not convinced that some of the LHC approved methods do anything different. Do we have pictures of aloe vera gel on hair, or flaxseed gel under a microscope to compare what days of accumulated use might look like? I suspect anything sticking the hair together or providing 'hold' would do much the same.

Agree fully! :)

goldloli
March 29th, 2013, 01:48 AM
forget hairspray, get some root boost spray! It's less glue like and a touch like dry shampoo. Actually osis dust it used to be a cult fave on product forums for volume, plus it's a powder, also doubles as dry shampoo on all hair types and a texturiser for short hair.

I'm currently using backcomb in a bottle - umberto giannini and big sexy hair make what a tease.

As for hairspray, I used to adore tipping my hair upside down and spritzing a little toward my crown roots and front bangs, shake it a lil then turn hair back to normal and it's be all perfect bodied. Never experienced damage from it but I didn't like the smell.