PDA

View Full Version : Fingercombing only when wet

Vanilla
March 28th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I'm trying a new experiment to cut down on breakage. I've started to only finger comb when my hair is wet to see if I can cut down on some split ends and breakage. I'll let you guys know in a month if it seems to be working.

Anyone else do this?

Rainbow2911
March 28th, 2013, 06:43 AM
I've been mostly doing this lately - although I do use my tangle teezer when its damp (takes at least a day to dry). I think it works better than combing to get tangles out so if it's gentler then bonus!

Vanilla
March 28th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Cool. I've always wanted to try a tangle teaser, but my hair is pretty delicate. I have a seamless comb that I use when my hair is dry.

cranberrymoonz
March 28th, 2013, 07:17 AM
The TT is great, especially for fine hair that's prone to breakage. But you do need to start detangling from the bottom up, and you need to be very careful still.

Rainbow2911
March 28th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Yeah it would break my hair if I wasnt careful. But I only get a few hairs in it if I'm gentle.

Naiadryade
March 28th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I don't normally attempt to detangle my hair while it's wet--it's much more prone to tangles that won't come out when it's wet than when it's dry. If I try to detangle that, I end up both breaking a lot of hair and pulling a lot of hair out. If I wait until it's dry, the tangles are easy to get out with gentle finger-combing.

ravenreed
March 28th, 2013, 11:47 AM
If I wait until my hair is dry to untangle, I never get the tangles out. I use a TT, as it is much gentler than any comb I have tried. So far I have bone combs, horn combs, wooden combs, and I always go back to the TT.

NymphSpirit
March 28th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I always fingercomb when my hair's wet, when it's dry I find the tangles much more difficult to deal with -probably because my ends are really dry- ACV rinses made a big difference, I've been using it for a couple of weeks and my hair's been mostly tangle free :)

spidermom
March 28th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Sometimes when it's full of conditioner, I finger-comb through it, but only when I forgot my shower comb. Hair clings to my fingers and gets pulled out; I hate that.

Salmonberry
March 28th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I don't normally attempt to detangle my hair while it's wet--it's much more prone to tangles that won't come out when it's wet than when it's dry. If I try to detangle that, I end up both breaking a lot of hair and pulling a lot of hair out. If I wait until it's dry, the tangles are easy to get out with gentle finger-combing.

Strange, I'm the exact opposite. If I don't detangle while it's wet or damp it becomes a horrible matted birds-nest when it's dry. I guess it's different for everyone.

I've had a lot of luck detangling in the shower when my hair is coated in conditioner. I'll run a wide toothed comb through it a few times. The conditioner seems to lubricate the hair and prevent hairs from grabbing on to eachother.

Miss Maisie
March 28th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I have super fine, delicate hair, and the tangle teazer has been the best thing ever. I use it on my hair when it's wet, damp, dry, whenever. I've noticed a big difference in breakage with it. Way more than when I was using my fingers.

arcane
March 28th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I mostly just finger comb, and only finger comb when wet if necessary (I find my hair refused to detangle if it's wet at all, so most of the time I wait till it's dry). Despite not trimming in over a year, and only S&Ding twice my ends are in nice condition. I used to have a lot of damage on my ends when I brushed/combed while wet.

alyaziaaah
March 28th, 2013, 04:51 PM
i dont have tangles when its wet but then i use some condish as a leave in before i wrap up my hair in a towel.
it combs out easily. my problem is more when my air is dry, the ends love to tangle, but i am trying to get used to fingercombing now, i do still have breakage then although i am so careful.
i miss my serum, it was easier to detangle with it in my hair, but as a cowasher i dont want too much build up so i am always hesitant to use one...
i should get a TT maybe......

goldloli
March 29th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I switched brush detangling with my BBB to fingercombing post wash, while damp/wet. I'd actually say I found 'standard slow fingercombing' is more damaging, so now I gently pick apart the tangles from tips to roots instead of doing the rake motion. Again doing this way I notice no damage sparing benefits compared to BBB but I did notice that my hair is slightly less porous/dry by day 2. I'm guessing the BBB takes some of the water from my hair? Gosh knows but it was enough of a benefit to justify effort. If you've read my posts, you'd know my hair just loses moisture like nothing. I'm contemplating a daily wash/hydration routine because of it, so your results from fingercombing may be a lot diff than mine... Good luck!

Iaine
March 29th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I always fingercomb my hair when it's wet. It seems to take a lifetime and a good bit of conditioner if I try to detangle while dry. I want to try the TT, but I'm afraid it will give me split ends since my hair is super fine and curly.