PDA

View Full Version : Grrr, negative long hair comments at Gawker.

centurytoolate
August 27th, 2008, 11:55 AM
There is a quick article at Gawker right now about Anna Wintour, Vogue's known appearance Nazi editor. Its about her making an assistant cut her long hair. Of course the comments contain some stereotypical garbage about long hairs. I was glad to see, though, some rebuttals that condemn LOL and long hair in general. I'm waiting for my comment there to show up(this irked me so much I had to comment, which I don't usually do). If it doesn't show up I'm going to post it again!

centurytoolate
August 27th, 2008, 11:58 AM
And the rebuttals don't condemn long hairs, they somewhat defend them. Feh.

wintersun99
August 27th, 2008, 12:01 PM

centurytoolate
August 27th, 2008, 12:04 PM
The assistant absolutely knew what she was getting into. It was the negative carpola in the comments that made me angry.

Eboshi
August 27th, 2008, 12:18 PM
The casual use of the word "Nazi" to describe a person who merely wanted another to cut her hair is what *I* find most offensive.

Nightshade
August 27th, 2008, 12:24 PM
The casual use of the word "Nazi" to describe a person who merely wanted another to cut her hair is what *I* find most offensive.

Can I sill call myself a Grammar Nazi? :o

Lamb
August 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM

In defence of the OP, it was Gawker that used the word to describe Anna Wintour. Not sure if it's appropriate to post the link here (harekutinq stuff), but if you google gawker, it is on the title page.

centurytoolate
August 27th, 2008, 12:30 PM
The title of the article was, "Anna Wintour is still a hair Nazi".
Sorry.

prosperina
August 27th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Anna Wintour is the woman whom The Devil Wears Prada is based on. I think people have started to use Nazi in a way that is so far away from its original meaning that no offense is intended. Whether or not it's a good idea idea to go throwing around that term or not is debatable.

ClareDee
August 27th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I'd take comfort from some comments there. One person noted that the magazines Anna Wintour works on all feature images of long-haired models.

Long hair must be something she sees beauty in (or understands that most people see beauty in). She just, for whatever reason, doesn't want to see it on her assistants... Possibly just a control issue.

truepeacenik
August 27th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Can I sill call myself a Grammar Nazi? :o

Grammar Fascist.
more accurate, to boot.

I agree with Eboshi- it's too easy a word to use.
We are better than that.

nappywomyn
August 27th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I'd take comfort from some comments there. One person noted that the magazines Anna Wintour works on all feature images of long-haired models.

Long hair must be something she sees beauty in (or understands that most people see beauty in). She just, for whatever reason, doesn't want to see it on her assistants... Possibly just a control issue.

Very much a control issue, based on what I've read about Ms. Wintour. And people can be stupid - is it sad that I've lowered my standards so to EXPECT people to be rude, crude, and narrow-minded about anything outside of their 'standard' box of existence?

Nightshade
August 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Grammar Fascist.
more accurate, to boot.

I agree with Eboshi- it's too easy a word to use.
We are better than that.

ROFL :lol: Done and done.

Tapioca
August 27th, 2008, 03:31 PM
ROFL :lol: Done and done.

I always liked "Grammar Martinet", although I'm probably too tall for that one.

Kuchen
August 28th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Grammar martinet is perfect.

There's a least one LHCer in that Gawker thread, by the way, only for the sake of their blood pressure they bailed out and didn't go back. :wink:

Bene
August 28th, 2008, 01:56 AM
one of the responses to that article:

I am siding with Anna on this one because women with ridiculously long hair get on my nerves.

give it to a kid with cancer that needs a wig yo, no one wants to see your poopy-soaked hair.

:nono:

meichigo
August 28th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Ignoring most of how ridiculous that statement is, obviously SOMEONE wants to see that hair. The person from whose head it grows. Who else really matters?

k_hepburn
August 28th, 2008, 04:26 AM
All I can say is hat, having googled gawker and read those comments just now, I am, once again, really glad about the style of language and standards of conversation which we maintain here at the LHC.

katharine

physicschick
August 28th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I am siding with Anna on this one because women with ridiculously long hair get on my nerves.

give it to a kid with cancer that needs a wig yo, no one wants to see your poopy-soaked hair.

Now now, not all longhairs use henna. :wigtongue

Kirin
August 28th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Now now, not all longhairs use henna. :wigtongue

LOL, well I use goose poop, hey its my perogative!

Lamb
August 28th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I know it is pretty bad taste, but I :lol:-ed at this comment:

"Did Wintour put a motorcycle helmet on the assistant's head, and then take a pair of scizzors and cut the girl's hair off around the bottom?
Because that's what it looks like she did with her own hair."

AshleyP
August 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Haha, poopy soaked hair. That made me chuckle. Sometimes you just have to laugh at the things people say.