PDA

View Full Version : no trims = no growth

mzBANGBANG
March 27th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I made a goal for less trims this year with my first one scheduled in a few days.

I went from averaging an inch a month to a quarter inch a month :(

Does anyone else have remarkably slower growth when they don't trim? I am likely experiencing more breakage, however I was kind of under the impression I'd maintain more length if i didn't trim. Curse you, fine hair.

spidermom
March 27th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Not exactly. What happened was that I gained the length (7 inches in a year last time I tried it), but my ends were so trashed that I ended up getting it all cut off. My net gain ended up being 0 or maybe even -1 or -2.

In a year when I trimmed (last time I kept records), I gained 5-1/2 inches of new length in the year, and the condition was good.

Vanille_
March 27th, 2013, 04:09 PM
This was my last official trim (went to a salon). I believe this was February of last year.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/user43068_pic127905_1330980765-1-1.jpg

And today. Only about two microtrims.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/40bc9494-2dd0-48b8-ab03-f4f886d41755_zpsf829a8f3.jpg

So, I'm definitely for no trims. Of course my ends aren't quite as nice. I have only recently begun experimenting with self trims. It will take some practice I think.

cobden 28
March 27th, 2013, 04:16 PM
I've not got the patience nor the skill to try to trim my own hair. Its length is very precious to me so I leave any trimming to the experts, namely a hairdresser that I trust implicitly.

jacqueline101
March 27th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I'm trying the whole no trims for a year. I hope it works for me.

torrilin
March 27th, 2013, 04:35 PM
My growth rate is pretty much the same whether I trim or not. It grows like a weed :P.

I don't find an intentional year of no trimming to be terribly helpful, but it's pretty unusual for me to trim more than about 4x a year at this point, and normal is 1-2 trims a year. I can easily go 6-9 months without a trim being needed to clear up split ends. By trim I mean even stuff like cutting out tangles or S&D.

Mostly, I do this by preventing damage. While a boar bristle brush feels really good, it shreds my hair a bit. From pixie to BSL, it wasn't a huge deal, but past BSL I found it was causing more splits than I can really deal with. Combs are not *as* rough on my hair, but they can still cause problems. My fingers work well, and I can't lose them easily, so I've shifted over to finger combing over the last couple years.

Tangles cause breakage and breakage causes splits and splits cause tangles. Nasty self defeating cycle there. I avoid tangles by keeping my hair up. For my make and model of hair, both braids and buns count as up. Your hair may vary (and probably does!). I'm more comfortable with my hair up basically 24/7. I don't necessarily take it down even to wash. It's just the way things are for me, and I don't really see it as odd... again, YMMV and probably does. The exact updo will vary a good bit tho single and twin braids, knot based buns and cinnabun variants all tend to be in heavy rotation. I tend to prefer styles that work well for sleeping and my bike helmet so I can avoid excess handling.

Basically, my goal is comfortable hair for minimal effort. Wash hair, comb in the shower using conditioner to detangle, put up wet, ignore and I'm pretty happy.

Naiadryade
March 27th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Yes, I have slower growth when I don't trim. For me, trimming means S&D, but it's kind of all the same. I have very split-prone hair, and if I don't stay on top of it, it travels up and slows or stops me from gaining any length.

This is actually a huge part of what drew me to join LHC originally. I had been growing out from ear-length for several years, but it seemingly stopped growing at BSL. I knew when I was a kid it was longer than that. I trimmed off a bunch of damage last spring, but then I didn't trim at all (and wasn't so nice to my hair, didn't wear it up enough or oil it enough) for the summer and fall. I only gained like 1/4-1/3 of an inch per month during that time. When winter rolled around I started treating my hair nicely again, but my growth rate didn't increase. Then I did a couple major S&D sessions (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110709) to remove most of the split and damaged ends--and I've been cutting off splits whenever I see them ever since, a dozen or two every day. My growth rate has suddenly jumped to 1/2 an inch per month.

Do what works for your hair. Some people have really resilient hair, and the adage of "you must trim your hair to make it grow faster" makes no sense to them. Their ends might split but the splits stay where they are. But others, well, when our hair gets damaged it travels up. If you stop it before it travels up, that hair will take a little while before it gets damaged again, and it will end up longer than if the damage had been allowed to travel.

So if trimming works for you, do it! Don't worry about trying to "stretch trims" if it's detrimental to your hair to do so.

Mandie
March 27th, 2013, 06:18 PM
You know I actually noticed something similar. I usually get at least some growth. I trimmed about two and a half inches off at the end of January because my ends were so awful. I got NO growth at ALL in February. I cheated on my no-checking last night and I've gained half an inch this month without a trim. Not sure why, it's rather curious. But I'll take it, I hate trimming anyway. I just S&D as much as I can now to try to gently check damage without having to go to a hairdresser (the last time I went to one I wanted it cut to my shoulders, the woman grabbed my hair and lopped off sixteen inches without even wetting my hair. It was super uneven and it had to be evened until it was barely at my jaw. I was not happy.)

Naiadryade
March 27th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Mandie, it sounds like you're describing something opposite of the OP's experience, not similar. FYI. :flower:

Mandie
March 27th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Mandie, it sounds like you're describing something opposite of the OP's experience, not similar. FYI. :flower:

Oh for pete's sake you're right. Sorry OP. xD Lots and lots of cough medicine and pills. I'm apparently not nearly as coherent as I thought I was.

Mesmerise
March 27th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I have found that it doesn't matter if I trim or not. The longest I've gone without a trim was probably 15 months, and in that time it grew plenty. When I used to get trims at a hairdresser, I went about every 6 months.

I suppose it depends on if your ends are breaking off or not. I have never had super long hair, so maybe this is why I've been able to go so long without a trim and not have it affect my growth rate.

That being said, sometimes hair just grows more slowly than others!

ravenreed
March 27th, 2013, 10:56 PM
I have the same experience. I trim regularly for this reason. However, the last time I tried to trim my own hair, I absolutely couldn't do it. I need to grow taller and have longer arms.

Not exactly. What happened was that I gained the length (7 inches in a year last time I tried it), but my ends were so trashed that I ended up getting it all cut off. My net gain ended up being 0 or maybe even -1 or -2.

In a year when I trimmed (last time I kept records), I gained 5-1/2 inches of new length in the year, and the condition was good.

Andrea H
March 28th, 2013, 12:14 AM
I can't really compare because I really don't get my hair cut that often, never really have. I do feel like I'll need to get a trim at some point this year, just a bit off the edge but I'm going to wait till I get to waist length. I've recently started to do S&D and haven't found /that/ many split ends. I'd say on average my hair grows 5-6 inches a year.

jojo
March 28th, 2013, 03:03 AM
I am just going into my 6th month with no trims and i am an average grower and have had 1/2" a month. My ends are a little uneven but my hairs up all the time so that doesn't bother me as such, im hoping to go a year without but i don't see extra fast growth unfortunately!

Quahatundightu
March 28th, 2013, 04:47 AM
I have super fine hair and the same thing happens to me. If I don't trim, my growth slows down until it stalls completely. It's much better for me to microtrim (where I see at least twice the growth as I would otherwise). I even created the microtrimming thread because I was amazed at the results I was getting once I started microtrimming. I had been stalled at hip for a few years due to trying no trimming, and then in a short amount of time I made it to TB. In the end we all hae to keep experimenting until we find what works for our own hair. Perhaps doing small trims more often would decrease your breakage and allows your hair to grow longer. Assuming the trimming schedule was the only thing you've changed recently?

Fantak
March 28th, 2013, 07:51 AM
My experience is the same as Quahatundightu's. I was stuck at TB with scraggley ends for years and even with all the gentle care and oiling it wouldn't get any longer. Finally I decided to try microtrimming (after reading your thread Q! Thank you!) and keeping it up and it is finally growing!

Kaelee
March 30th, 2013, 10:28 AM
This was my last official trim (went to a salon). I believe this was February of last year.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/user43068_pic127905_1330980765-1-1.jpg

And today. Only about two microtrims.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/40bc9494-2dd0-48b8-ab03-f4f886d41755_zpsf829a8f3.jpg

So, I'm definitely for no trims. Of course my ends aren't quite as nice. I have only recently begun experimenting with self trims. It will take some practice I think.

Woa!!! Vanille!!!! :bigeyes:

Your hair is gorgeous!!!!!!

minxe
March 30th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, except my hair isn't fine, just heat-damaged. It breaks off if I don't regularly trim it. If I microtrim, I get around 3/4 inch per month, but if I don't trim at all I get maybe 1/4 if I'm lucky.

Sunny_side_up
March 31st, 2013, 10:23 AM
I've enjoyed regular trims in the past, i like the freshened up feeling, however ended up getting cuts rather than trims (ask my mum to do it and show her the length with my fingers, she does precisely what i request :) so growth progress looked minimal those years, and sometimes pretty much non existant. Im on the year of no trims, mid April will be four months no trim. Last Oct i had a frazzling session with a hair straightener and no protection spray :( Hence a cut in Dec. The growth i have had this winter has been great and my ends seem fine to me, doin the ignoring route anyways. I found a shampoo i like and enjoyed winter hair washes this year... so BSL to mid back is beckoning me.

faellen
March 31st, 2013, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't have thought trimming the ends (or not doing so) would affect the growth rate at the follicle.

earthnut
March 31st, 2013, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't have thought trimming the ends (or not doing so) would affect the growth rate at the follicle.

It doesn't. It's pre-emptively removing damage at the ends. Split ends or other hair damage can make your hair break off more than if you cut the damage off.

earthnut
March 31st, 2013, 11:49 AM
I think it has to do with the condition of your hair and how prone it is to getting split ends or other damage. My hair used to get a lot of split ends when I was shampoo only and my hair was very dry. I wonder if frequent trimming would've helped my hair grow longer (i dunno, I didn't try). Now my hair is much more moisturized and healthier and I never see split ends any more. The only reason I trim is to shape my hairline. (I am growing out layers to a new layered shape) I get quite a bit of growth without trims. I'm sure coarser hair would be less prone to damage than fine hair, just by its nature. (my hair is between fine and medium FWIW)

OP, you might want to try protein treatments and see if it helps strengthen and protect your fine hair from damage. :)

earthnut
March 31st, 2013, 11:52 AM
I have the same experience. I trim regularly for this reason. However, the last time I tried to trim my own hair, I absolutely couldn't do it. I need to grow taller and have longer arms.

Why? I can cut my own hair at any length. What method are you using?

Simone_Fatale
March 31st, 2013, 12:29 PM
My hair tends to get a lot of split ends from straightening it if I don't trim it for more than 3-4 months, so I trim only 3, maybe 4 times a year. Works best for my hair.

chen bao jun
March 31st, 2013, 02:04 PM
I didn't cut or trim my hair and it didn't grow (apparently) for 13 years, but I was treating it very poorly. Now my hair is growing about 3/4 inch a month but I am using LHC methods. I do actually NEED a trim (velcro-ey damaged ends) but its growing anyway. When I keep moisture in it and keep the hair up 24/7 it grows, I think because the ends are protected. I do protein treatment on the ends and I S & D for single strand knots. As of yet, I get very very few to no split ends, but the single strand knots catch on each other and tangle if I don't keep them under control.
There could be other factors besides not trimming is all I want to say.
since hair type might be important here, I want to mention that I do have coarse hair, it can be broken off, but definitely does not break easily.