PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil dries my hair out - now what?

WilfredAllen
March 26th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I've been trying out coconut oil on my ends and I've noticed that it tends to dry the ends of my hair out within a couple days of applying it. I've read that this may be because it traps protein in the hair, and this makes sense to me. My hair is generally not too dry but I am looking to give it a little something extra. Mineral oil and olive oil are a bit too oily on my hair. I've been thinking about giving argan oil a shot but don't want to spend money on it if it'll be the same as the coconut oil.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

ghost
March 26th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Almond oil is pretty nice. I've found that it doesn't get as crunchy as coconut oil sometimes does, and it smells good.

ravenreed
March 26th, 2013, 03:02 PM
My hair is not keen on coconut oil but loves argan oil. It is extremely pricey though. The upside is that I use very little of it. My hair does better if I only oil before washing.

Anje
March 26th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Coconut oil can be like that....

One that I liked is sesame oil. Look for the light colored stuff unless you don't mind a strong scent, though! Other oils I've liked are olive and emu.

One thing to try: if you don't care for the results of an oil on your dry hair, try putting just a drop or two through your hair when it's wet or damp from washing. Definitely don't go overboard, because you can't see how much is too much this way. I think it distributes better and seems to help keep moisture in the hair.

I've gotten similar ends-dry-after-a-few-days any time I use silicones (though amodimethicone in products without cyclopentasiloxane isn't as bad). It may have something to do with sealing moisture out of the hair. It's also worth checking to make sure your problem isn't with silicones rather than with your oil choice.

Suze2012
March 26th, 2013, 03:25 PM
My hair likes coconut oil as a treatment but hates it as a leave in.

You're not alone! :)

Try another oil or only use it for deep treats overnight which you cleanse out the next day.

Coconut oil is brilliant for removing eye make up...in case you need another use for what you have left ....as well as cooking...obviously :)

Naiadryade
March 26th, 2013, 03:36 PM
My hair also likes coconut oil as a treatment but hates it as a leave in!

Try other oils. Rice bran oil is a nice light, cheap, easily found, nourishing oil, which I mix with olive oil to make the EVOO lighter.

And maybe try moisturizing treatments instead of using oil as a leave-in as your something extra! Make SMT's, try new things... oils, avocado, coconut milk... I really like Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Masque. Have fun with it!

HairFaerie
March 26th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Jojoba is another good oil to try...

Miss Maisie
March 26th, 2013, 03:44 PM
My hair loves jojoba and this Vitamin E oil I got at Trader Joe's (I believe it's a blend of vitamin e/coconut/soybean). Straight coconut oil doesn't really seem to make much of a difference for me.

Tristania
March 26th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking the coconut oil just gets hard from whatever climate you're in - coconut oil makes my hair feel crunchy when it's cold, which makes the oil go hard. The fact that you apply it to the tips means less exposure to body heat, so that probably doesn't help either. Maybe try an oil that doesn't go solid at room temperature (or below), or just tuck your ends close to your scalp (body heat) when/if you put it up in a bun..?

Or maybe your hair really just doesn't like coconut oil:/

elea
March 26th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I use sweet almond oil on the length as my heavily coloured hair needs a bit of softening.
might work for you *:O)

winship2
March 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Coconut oil can be like that....

One thing to try: if you don't care for the results of an oil on your dry hair, try putting just a drop or two through your hair when it's wet or damp from washing. Definitely don't go overboard, because you can't see how much is too much this way. I think it distributes better and seems to help keep moisture in the hair.

I second this. I have found coconut, olive, and argan oils to make my hair super oily (yes, even with the tiniest dab) when applied to dry hair, but the other night I put a little olive oil on my wet ends, and amazingly soft the next day.

Or, yes, maybe coconut oil is not for you :) Hope you do find a successful product or routine.

door72067
March 26th, 2013, 05:07 PM
my hair hates coconut oil but loves baby oil (mineral oil)

WilfredAllen
March 26th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks for all of the replies, everybody! Way more than I expected, and lots of ideas I wouldn't have thought of on my own

Vrindi
March 26th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Another vote for almond oil. I use coconut oil and switch to almond oil when the ends get weird. Solves the problem.

Artisticat
March 26th, 2013, 08:57 PM
My hair loves jojoba and this Vitamin E oil I got at Trader Joe's (I believe it's a blend of vitamin e/coconut/soybean). Straight coconut oil doesn't really seem to make much of a difference for me.

Another vote for TJ's jojoba oil!!!

shutterpillar
March 27th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Mineral oil does well on my hair. I'm in a similar position, where coconut oil as a leave-in makes my ends feel crunchy. So I put mineral oil on my damp hair after a shower. :)

alabaster
March 27th, 2013, 05:45 AM
I had the same problem with coconut oil. I know that in my case it was because i live in Canada and the cold climate was making the oil solidify in my hair. I have found the best oil for my coarse dry hair is jojoba. Love it!

heidi w.
March 27th, 2013, 06:53 AM
It might make a difference of what kind of coconut oil you're using. I never had these problems, ever, when applying coconut oil throughout the entire length of my hair. I also used very little coconut oil. I used what Spectrum Naturals had under body care. I can also recommend Jojoba Oil. Make sure it's see-through and not cloudy or murky in any way.
heidi w.

WilfredAllen
April 8th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for all of your good advice. I ended up buying argan oil, as it was the first thing i was able to find at my grocery store. Alas! I had the same problem after a few days, though not as bad. I reexamined my conditioner and found that it has protein in it! Could this be the problem? I've clarified(BS) and switched conditioners since then, and things seem to be getting better slowly. I'm still wary of using oil though. I may try to see how this new conditioner works first, so I can be sure that the oil is the problem

edit: sorry i just wanted to add that I WAS using oil on wet hair, but thank you because that's good advice that I used to not know

Vrindi
April 8th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for all of your good advice. I ended up buying argan oil, as it was the first thing i was able to find at my grocery store. Alas! I had the same problem after a few days, though not as bad. I reexamined my conditioner and found that it has protein in it! Could this be the problem? I've clarified(BS) and switched conditioners since then, and things seem to be getting better slowly. I'm still wary of using oil though. I may try to see how this new conditioner works first, so I can be sure that the oil is the problem

edit: sorry i just wanted to add that I WAS using oil on wet hair, but thank you because that's good advice that I used to not know

That could definitely be the problem. Is your hair feeling kind of crunchy and straw-like? That's protein overload. The reason coconut oil might have an effect is that it keeps protein from leaving the hair. My hair hates, HATES protein treatment and conditioners. It loves coconut oil— to a point. Once it starts to get dry, I know it's had enough protein and switch to almond oil.

Switching conditioners was a good move. You should be fine with the oils, but if you want to wait a while to test the new conditioner, that's not a bad idea.

ravenreed
April 8th, 2013, 01:04 PM
If your hair hates protein, which mine does, any protein in the routine can lead to unhappy hair. Oils seem very, very subjective. My hair loves argan, camellia, meadowfoam seed oil, and can tolerate mineral and coconut oil in small doses, but hates olive, and jojoba. Everyone's hair seems to have a different list of likes and dislikes. I would sort out the conditioner problem first then see how your hair reacts to oils, because a problem with the conditioner could affect how your hair reacts to them.

TheMechaGinger
April 8th, 2013, 01:30 PM
If I spray my ends with a little water before I apply the coconut oil and brush it through with my boar bristle my hair comes out awesomely soft and shiny. But if I just put oil on dry hair it makes it crunchy as well

meteor
April 8th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Personally, I think it's about amount of oil and processing. Some oils do this more than others. Cold-pressed oils tend to act better. But it's only a question of time till any oil saturates my hair enough to make hair stiff and feeling dry... especially after a couple days.
Check out different oils, but I wouldn't look for a "holy grail" that will always work. I've tried coconut, olive, camellia, argan, grapeseed, sunflower, safflower, avocado, sesame, red palm, neem... and they all "stiffen" hair if you use too much.

lilliemer
April 8th, 2013, 08:34 PM
you could also try shea butter - it works well to smooth ends. I also like camellia and olive oils.

WilfredAllen
April 10th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Okay. I'm back. Thanks again to everyone who has left comments and suggestions. I would be so lost without y'all.

I'm still using the new conditioner and while it's not drying my hair at all as much as the last one was, My hair is definitely drying the day after I wash. My conditioner has dimenthicone, and I wonder if this could be the problem? I'm going to try to buy a cone free conditioner today and see how my hair likes it. HERES THE BIG QUESTION THOUGH: I've never really had any issue with cones in the past - I've always been able to use almost every conditioner I've come across, but my hair has always been CBL or shorter. Is it possible that my hair would start reacting to silicones differently after a certain length????

Suze2012
April 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Okay. I'm back. Thanks again to everyone who has left comments and suggestions. I would be so lost without y'all.

I'm still using the new conditioner and while it's not drying my hair at all as much as the last one was, My hair is definitely drying the day after I wash. My conditioner has dimenthicone, and I wonder if this could be the problem? I'm going to try to buy a cone free conditioner today and see how my hair likes it. HERES THE BIG QUESTION THOUGH: I've never really had any issue with cones in the past - I've always been able to use almost every conditioner I've come across, but my hair has always been CBL or shorter. Is it possible that my hair would start reacting to silicones differently after a certain length????

My hair at CBL was totally different to when it was short short and how it is now (around BSL)

The care changes as it grows - it has to, it's older hair for one thing and there is more of it so any issues will show up more.
So, yep. it could react differently.
I would think different kinds of cones would probably give a differing reaction too.
I prefer not to use them now - just so I don't have to use sulphates.

Anje
April 10th, 2013, 12:42 PM
It could make a difference. I didn't notice that I didn't like silicones as such until my hair was quite long and I'd been on LHC for a while. (My default products were no-cone, still happen to be my default products.) Some of that might have been more frequent washing then and obliviousness on my part...

WilfredAllen
April 10th, 2013, 02:16 PM
thank you! I am also needing to use conditioner more so maybe the quantity could be affecting it. I soaked my hair in an ACV rinse and now I'm letting some 'cone free conditioner soak in for a bit before i rinse that off. I'll update again in a couple days... hopefully this works

heidi w.
April 10th, 2013, 02:42 PM
There's tons of other carrier oils to give a try to. But Coconut Oil, expeller pressed, remains my fave oil. I buy it from Spectrum Naturals or from the body care place on their website. It costs around $5.00 and it's super easy to use. This is the ONLY coconut oil that I use. But there's also Jojoba Oil for a second best, which most closely mimics sebum. Then there's almond oil, apricot oil, and more oils to use. All carrier oils that is, with no scent of any kind. Oils should be very clear, kept in a dark bottle and dark closet. I keep my Coconut Oil in its vat in the refrigerator. I scrape off a teensy bit with my fingernails and rub it between my palms, then apply to freshly washed and air dried hair. If I want it to smell, I put in a few drops of grapefruit oil, which is my favorite scent. I apply those drops directly to the palm of my hand and apply it very thinly to my hair length, which isn't very much length at all now. I had to cut my hair cause of a huge knot having formed that I couldn't comb out. So I cut it.
Be well, and hope you find something that works.
I have a youtube video showing how I oil my hair, how little I truly use, and how I BBB my hair as well.
heidi w.
PS it's found by signing on to youtube and entering heidi w. hair oiling video.
Good luck.
heidi w.

going gray
April 10th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I'm another one who can't use coconut oil. However, using a drop or 2 of mineral oil on my washed damp hair works wonders, the results are amazing! Turns my very coarse gray hair soft & silky.

WilfredAllen
April 12th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Heidi w. Thank you for sharing your video! It was really helpful. I don't have a BBB, but now I want one! Your hair is so gorgeous

It's day two of the non-cone conditioner, and my hair is softer than yesterday, instead if dryer. I think cones were a big part of the problem. My ends are still a little bit dryer than I'd like, so I will recommence the oiling experiments!!!! Please stand by...

meteor
April 12th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Heidi w. Thank you for sharing your video! It was really helpful. I don't have a BBB, but now I want one! Your hair is so gorgeous

I second that! That video really stuck in my mind and I remind myself about how little oil you used on your super-gorgeous super-long hair every time I load my hair with a few tablespoons of oil. I really should force myself to use much less! :)

KwaveT
April 15th, 2013, 10:16 PM
I thought about y'all when I ran across this website. Even if you aren't going to use their products they answer just about every question you can think of on coconut oil and the different kinds and how they are made. They even address some of the false claims made about coconut oil. They sell coconut oil for cooking, coconut oil hair treatment, and also coconut hair oils that have other oils added in with coconut oil. Last one comes in unscented, rosemary, and lavender. Even some tutorials/reviews on parts of website. These products are made in Philippines. Coconut oil has a melting point of 76 degrees Fahrenheit. That is why it turns into solid in your hair during cold weather. If coconut oil is refined then melting point can be moved up to about 97-104 degrees Fahrenheit. Certainly don't want refined coconut oil as a hair treatment or it will turn into glue in your hair at even higher temps since it stays a solid at even higher temps than organic coconut oil. A lot of people are going and buying refined coconut oil in grocery store to use on their hair. This company makes the coconut oil organically. I guess you could heat the bottle for a little bit to turn it back to a liquid. I don't know about others but I can't stand real thick shampoos/conditioners since I can't spread it through my hair. Even though I have never tried coconut oil in my hair, the oil as a solid would drive me nuts if this is what happens. Organic it would be for me. For cooking, this should be the ONLY oil that you cook with and once again you want organic coconut oil. All other oils will denature and poly/monounsaturated fats in those oils will convert into fats that are even worse for your body than trans fats are. Yes even extra virgin olive oil you should never cook with. Extra virgin olive oil is a very good oil to add onto your salads and other foods as long as you are not heating it. Canola oil is a very very bad oil to cook with. It is highly refined and just as sensitive to breaking down in heat as olive oil is. Coconut oil is also almost all saturated fat so it doesn't do this. Proteins remain stable. Smoking point is about 351 degrees Fahrenheit. You can cook at high temps with it. Don't believe all the misinformation you hear on bad fats. Trans fat is a bad fat. Saturated fat is a good fat. Saturated fat DOES NOT cause heart disease and high cholesterol. Inflammation is what causes plaques to build in arteries not saturated fat. Lauric acid in coconut oil helps increase your metabolism and helps shrink belly fat. Fat doesn't make people fat. Sugar is what makes people fat. Sugar, along with trans fats, is what causes inflammation, obesity, and arterial plaques. Website is http://www.tropicaltraditions.com

Quahatundightu
April 15th, 2013, 10:58 PM
I am also wondering how much oil you use? It can be very easy to overdo the oil and end up with too much, which definitely leaves me with dry crunchy ends. Try using so little that you can barely feel it on your fingertips. This espeially applies to anyone with fine hair, less is often better when you're trying to figure out what works for your hair.