PDA

View Full Version : Crazy night scalp itch.

MaryMarx
March 26th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Hi!

In the middle of the night I woke up, scratching my scalp which I had probably been doing for a while in my sleep.
The itch was located right above my ear, a pretty big area, and it was also starting to itch on the exact opposite side.
This has happened once before, and both times it didn't stop before I got up and soaked the area in cooooold, cold water.

My hair was kind of dirty, but not crazy dirty. It was 2nd day after washing.
Like I said, it happened once before, both times it woke me up and I was scratching in my sleep.
And the exact same spot both times!
Does anyone recognize this?

torrilin
March 26th, 2013, 02:39 PM
My partner will scratch more if it's been too long since we changed the sheets. Depending on how his psoriasis is doing "too long" can mean as little as 2 days. People without a skin condition will sometimes react to dirty sheets that way too, tho most people are a lot less sensitive than my partner.

My sister will break out in hives if you wash her clothes or sheets in most scented detergents, or use a scented fabric softener. Hives can also be *very* itchy. Most people who are sensitive to fragrances aren't that bad, but being sensitive to fragrances is very common.

Those are the easy and obvious things to check for yourself. If the itching continues or gets worse, it may be a medical problem like a skin infection. Most skin infections are pretty easy to treat if they're caught early, and pretty unpleasant if they are left untreated.

There's a lot of other stuff that unexplained itching could be, but most of the other options are pretty unusual, and you'd need to see a doctor to figure it out anyway.

Miss Maisie
March 26th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I get something like this whenever the weather changes. My scalp just goes nuts! I try to keep from scratching it and switch from my usual no sulfates + occasional co routine to head and shoulders for a little while, and that helps. My skin is going nuts now, so I am hoping that means warmer weather is right around the corner!

MaryMarx
March 26th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Thank you torrilin, for your answer.
I don't think it has to do with strong smells from detergents, since it happens just out of the blue. It it was detergent it would itch every night, and it has happened twice in maybe 3-4 months.
About the sheets... well, could be! I think I wash like a normal person and I have a lot of pillows so I can rotate them. :p
I'll keep an eye on it so it doesn't get worse!

Miss Maisie, does your scalp itch all the time, or just occasionally?
I never have any problems with my scalp at all, except for these two times it has happened, and it's so weird that it only happened at night time, with no sign of itch during the day!

Miss Maisie
March 26th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I usually only notice it at night. And it only happens a few times a year, but it worries me every time!

MaryMarx
March 27th, 2013, 02:35 AM
Miss Maisie: really? That could be it! It's been cold winter here and my skin and scalp have been very dry, and now it's getting warmer.
But the other time it happened was in january or february, in the coldest winter... hm. Oh I don't know. I think I'm going to stick with your theory. As long as it doesn't start to happen a lot more often. :)

browneyedsusan
March 27th, 2013, 05:49 AM
That's weird!
I'd EVOO it with a Q-tip, and wash the next day. Maybe the friction from your pillow and a dry scalp are not playing nice? I'm just guessing...

torrilin
March 27th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Thank you torrilin, for your answer.
I don't think it has to do with strong smells from detergents, since it happens just out of the blue. It it was detergent it would itch every night, and it has happened twice in maybe 3-4 months.

Actually, it wouldn't necessarily happen every night. If we're talking anaphylactic allergy, where it starts with hives and swelling and a high enough dose will get your throat to swell shut... That stuff doesn't all happen on every exposure. You can spend years not reacting to something, and then suddenly start having intermittent weirdness. For a friend, it was her lips would feel numb. For another friend, his hives flare up. My sister usually has asthma symptoms first, the hives thing is unusual for her and has only happened a couple times with detergents specifically.

Basically, a real allergy is a pain to pin down. And you kind of don't want it to get pinned down in detail, since that means you went into anaphylaxis and ended up being way more friendly with the EMTs than any of you really want :).

Most of my reactions are even more in the "huh, that's weird" range. Mostly I itch, or get weird headaches. (weird because "normal" headache reactions are migraines, and mine meet absolutely none of the migraine diagnostic criteria). I've never even gotten up to hives. But since there are patterns to the kinds of stuff that sets off itching and headaches for me, I do try to avoid triggers. It's not a big deal to do so, and I figure my body doesn't need any more excuses to act up. It's the only body I'll ever get, might as well take good care of it.

It's probably *not* this kind of thing mind. Just scented products are a common trigger, and it is a pretty easy thing for you to check yourself. If a doctor suspects an allergy, one of the first things they'll do is have you try various fragrance free products.

MaryMarx
March 27th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Actually, it wouldn't necessarily happen every night. If we're talking anaphylactic allergy, where it starts with hives and swelling and a high enough dose will get your throat to swell shut... That stuff doesn't all happen on every exposure. You can spend years not reacting to something, and then suddenly start having intermittent weirdness. For a friend, it was her lips would feel numb. For another friend, his hives flare up. My sister usually has asthma symptoms first, the hives thing is unusual for her and has only happened a couple times with detergents specifically.

Basically, a real allergy is a pain to pin down. And you kind of don't want it to get pinned down in detail, since that means you went into anaphylaxis and ended up being way more friendly with the EMTs than any of you really want :).

Most of my reactions are even more in the "huh, that's weird" range. Mostly I itch, or get weird headaches. (weird because "normal" headache reactions are migraines, and mine meet absolutely none of the migraine diagnostic criteria). I've never even gotten up to hives. But since there are patterns to the kinds of stuff that sets off itching and headaches for me, I do try to avoid triggers. It's not a big deal to do so, and I figure my body doesn't need any more excuses to act up. It's the only body I'll ever get, might as well take good care of it.

It's probably *not* this kind of thing mind. Just scented products are a common trigger, and it is a pretty easy thing for you to check yourself. If a doctor suspects an allergy, one of the first things they'll do is have you try various fragrance free products.
You're definitely right. Since I have different allergies, although not very serious ones, this is something I shouldn't ignore and no one really needs their sheets to smell like 10.000 flowers anyway! ;)

MaryMarx
March 27th, 2013, 11:39 AM
That's weird!
I'd EVOO it with a Q-tip, and wash the next day. Maybe the friction from your pillow and a dry scalp are not playing nice? I'm just guessing...
Great idea, I'll do that. :)
You could be on to something here, actually when my hair is really greasy my scalp gets tender and sore. And when lying on my side sleeping and the hair rubbing against the fabric, that could result into itching instead! Hmhm. Thank you for making me think. :)

MaryMarx
April 3rd, 2013, 12:13 PM
Okay guys, it's back.
It's 8 in the evening here and the itch is creeping up on me. My hair is washed some hours ago. What should I do? I have a big thing coming up in a couple of days and I really need my sleep until then.
Should I olive oil the itchy areas? It feels so meh to do when it's newly washed...

heidi w.
April 3rd, 2013, 12:36 PM
Just do a clarifying wash and start over. Excuse me, but my little pooch is barking for some reason such as I need to pay her some attention. I'll be right back. There, she wanted to go outside, so I took her outside. Aside....back now: Clarify with baking soda mixed with 3 T. baking soda; 3 T of baking soda; blend real well til no lumps and apply to wet hair. Rinse. THEN condition the length only; don't let conditioner touch the scalp. Experiment with different shampoos that have no sulfates; different shampoos will have more or less SLS. Buy a specialty brand if you must. Seasons is a time of change for many, so it's not odd that you're experiencing a shift. As it's the end of winter. Then always condition the length only; never touch the scalp. Conditioner is a layer on top of the skin. Why would you want that? Clarify about once ever 3-4 months thereafter.
heidi w.

heidi w.
April 3rd, 2013, 12:40 PM
I recommend that you may have Seborrheic Dermatitus which is a form of Dandruff, only worse. And I have it as well as a lot of other people. It's one of those things the shampoo hair industry has thought pretty much nothing about. You could try Nizoral shampoo, the shelf version. It comes in two versions, one with more medicine the other with less medicine. I used it for years til I finally found a brand of shampoo that worked. And now my hair is short, and cutting the length hasn't done one thing to resolve the itchiness. Time of year can matter. In the summertime, I suffer terribly. In winter, it's as though it disappeared. But I still like summertime a lot better than winter. Just do what I wrote, and you should be okay. Experiment with shampoos. Wash your pillowcases and detangling comb/brush. I never brush anymore; I only use a comb. Look for a shampoo without SLS.
heidi w.

Anje
April 3rd, 2013, 12:59 PM
Random question: What did you eat on the days when it started itching? Something relatively unusual for you, by any chance? Go anywhere different? I'm wondering if you're having an allergic reaction of some sort.

heidi w.
April 3rd, 2013, 01:05 PM
What one eats matters a lot more than they might think. The industrial food nation is filled with sugar. And they make crappy food. Any of the fast food restaurants make crap. And it's what poor people eat every single day. Find a health food store and start juicing once a day, and use Karyn's Kare at www.... I'll get the link for you in a bit...I have to stop being on LHC to find her; she has an enzyme that I plan to start taking very soon.
heidi w.

heidi w.
April 3rd, 2013, 01:06 PM
What one eats matters a lot more than they might think. The industrial food nation is filled with sugar. And they make crappy food. Any of the fast food restaurants make crap. And it's what poor people eat every single day. Find a health food store and start juicing once a day, and use Karyn's Kare at www.... I'll get the link for you in a bit...I have to stop being on LHC to find her; she has an enzyme that I plan to start taking very soon.
heidi w.

MaryMarx
April 3rd, 2013, 01:08 PM
Random question: What did you eat on the days when it started itching? Something relatively unusual for you, by any chance? Go anywhere different? I'm wondering if you're having an allergic reaction of some sort.

It could be, I'm allergic to some veggies (or more like a little sensitive, the only thing I'm scared to eat is carrots) but it's never a problem if I eat it with other food, like chicken.
I ate veggies and salmon today, but I am pretty sure I didn't eat that the other times the itch happened since I was in a non-veggie-period at that time. :)

Also, I washed the pillowcase with no fabric softener, and I think the detergent is without perfume.

heidi w.
April 3rd, 2013, 01:10 PM
What you're eating isn't directly affecting your skin. The weather has more to do with your skin than you think. Pouring oil on your head is not an answer. Not by very much. But you could try it. Visit a licensed Dermatologist to find out what you're suffering from. A Dermatologist that knows surgery. That'll resolve your problem a bit, to at least know what you truly have. And wash pillowcases and sheets. Don't itch your scalp with your hands. There's a million germs on your hands. Every single day.
heidi w.

heidi w.
April 3rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
Buy the enzyme's for the system. They're very good. And very expensive. www.karyn'sraw.com is the link.
heidi w.

heidi w.
April 3rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
Buy the enzyme's for the system. They're very good. And very expensive. www.karyn'sraw.com is the link.
heidi w.

ravenreed
April 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
I used to have a horribly itchy scalp until I started ACV rinses. Also, my scalp gets itchy when it is dry, so I usually do a scalp oiling and that helps.sq

heidi w.
April 3rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
You can oil the length only; none of the scalp whatsoever. ACVing is also very good for Seborrheic Dermatitus once it's analyzed as such. Don't go guessing around. Get a diagnosis. It's best, cause then it leads you in a certain direction.
heidi w.

MaryMarx
April 3rd, 2013, 01:19 PM
I recommend that you may have Seborrheic Dermatitus which is a form of Dandruff, only worse. And I have it as well as a lot of other people. It's one of those things the shampoo hair industry has thought pretty much nothing about. You could try Nizoral shampoo, the shelf version. It comes in two versions, one with more medicine the other with less medicine. I used it for years til I finally found a brand of shampoo that worked. And now my hair is short, and cutting the length hasn't done one thing to resolve the itchiness. Time of year can matter. In the summertime, I suffer terribly. In winter, it's as though it disappeared. But I still like summertime a lot better than winter. Just do what I wrote, and you should be okay. Experiment with shampoos. Wash your pillowcases and detangling comb/brush. I never brush anymore; I only use a comb. Look for a shampoo without SLS.
heidi w.
I have to look that up, hm... googling pictures was a bad idea. :p
I will definitely get an SLS-free shampoo, had one before and it was great. The shampoo I have now is probably too strong or drying or something, my scalp has actually been a little flaky and I think that happened after I started using this shampoo, maybe 4-5 months ago.
A couple of days ago I also experiences some increased shedding, but that could be because of spring too...

MaryMarx
April 3rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
I used to have a horribly itchy scalp until I started ACV rinses. Also, my scalp gets itchy when it is dry, so I usually do a scalp oiling and that helps.sq
I've been thinking of trying that. I really should.
It happens so rarely (which I'm thankful of off course) so it's hard to point out what could be wrong.
Now it has happened with both newly washed hair, and oily hair... :(

Salmonberry
April 3rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
Are you going to bed with wet or damp hair? This is why I can't, I get horrible itchiness if I put any pressure on wet skin. Having my wet or damp head on the pillow traps in the moisture and it will itch terribly.

My other advice would be to try a hypoallergenic shampoo and conditioner if this is happening with dry hair.

MaryMarx
April 3rd, 2013, 01:47 PM
Are you going to bed with wet or damp hair? This is why I can't, I get horrible itchiness if I put any pressure on wet skin. Having my wet or damp head on the pillow traps in the moisture and it will itch terribly.

My other advice would be to try a hypoallergenic shampoo and conditioner if this is happening with dry hair.
Always dry hair!
I will take a look at the pharmacy and see what they have to offer. Thanks for your input. :)