PDA

View Full Version : On a mission to take care of my hair!

girlinabox
March 26th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Hi everyone,

So I have always had 'long' hair, but never really taken care of it, so to speak, or done anything with it. However this forum has really made me want to change that. Ordinarily I would sometimes go days without brushing it, would rip out tangles, never have it trimmed, not use any kind of conditioning treatment....it's a wonder I still have any hair! Anyhoo, those days are over and I'd really like to start looking after my hair, and hopefully be able to grow even more length (my hair always seemed to stop at waist length). So, what I need from you lovely people is suggestions! :D

I have already started with trims. I hear that this can actually help your hair to grow? So I was thinking every 2 months just have an inch (or less?) off the length. I have also decided to not shampoo every day. I will probably aim for every other day or every 2 days. The only products I use on my hair atm are shampoo and conditioner. Shampoo, I use Lush's solids - usually 'New' or 'Karma Komba' followed by their Veganese conditioner. My problem is fine hair which can get greasy at the roots. So I wondered if anyone with the same hair had any suggestions as to any better shampoos/conditioners? Would the board recommend any treatments? I see things such as Apple Cider Vinegar mentioned quite a bit and wondered what that does for your hair and whether it would be of benefit? I recently bought some coconut oil as I had seen this mentioned in a YT video so I have started to apply this to the very ends of my hair after it has been washed and is dried, and then stick it up in a bun overnight - how often do board users do this kind of treatment?

Sorry if this seems like a very vague post "How do I look after my hair?"! However I really am completely clueless, and you guys here have really inspired me to want to start looking after my hair and growing it even more!

All tips, tricks, suggestions and recommendation welcome.

Thank you all for a great forum :-)

EtherealDoll
March 26th, 2013, 03:22 AM
Hi!

First of all, if your hair and scalp are feeling good with your current routine, then you shouldn't change it too much. Especially when it comes to putting anything new on your scalp - always think whether you are ready to deal with a ton of shedding that may come afterwards, if your scalp doesn't like it. So if your shampoo is good for you, then don't change it.

For conditioning you can try experimenting with oiling the length of your hair(again, careful with putting oil on your scalp). Many people are very happy with the results they get from coconut oil. If you wear your hair in a bun everyday, then you can leave the oil on for several days. Or you can use it as a deep treatment once or twice a week - just soak your hair in it thoroughly and leave it on for a few hours.

Apple Cider Vinegar rinse makes my hair smooth and shiney, but I only do it when I run out of conditioner, because I don't see any need in it if I use conditioner. Also its smell may stay on your hair for a few days.

Trimming is good if you want to keep your hemline even and thick but don't trim too often or you will just cut off all your growth. Also, if you trim at home, be sure to use sharp scissors, and better the ones designed for cutting your hair(you can find those in stores), because using blunt scissors can cause you more split ends.

woolyleprechaun
March 26th, 2013, 03:33 AM
If your hair is doing ok, I wouldn't change too much. Oiling the ends may help prevent breakage. I wouldn't trim that much off , either :) Perhaps a light dusting as and when needed?

MegaMystery
March 26th, 2013, 04:21 AM
(1) I have already started with trims. I hear that this can actually help your hair to grow? So I was thinking every 2 months just have an inch (or less?) off the length.

(2) So I wondered if anyone with the same hair had any suggestions as to any better shampoos/conditioners?

(3) Would the board recommend any treatments?

(4)I see things such as Apple Cider Vinegar mentioned quite a bit and wondered what that does for your hair and whether it would be of benefit?

(5) I recently bought some coconut oil as I had seen this mentioned in a YT video so I have started to apply this to the very ends of my hair after it has been washed and is dried, and then stick it up in a bun overnight - how often do board users do this kind of treatment?

Because I'm supposed to be studying, I thought I would reply (see also the procrastinators unite thread :cheese:). I divided your original post in a couple of sections which i think represent the main questions you have.
Here are my answers for you, based on my personal experience:

(1): Trims don't make your hair grow, but they can help prevent split ends if your hair is prone to those. Leaving split ends in your hair can cause the damage to travel up the hair and break it, so it appears to grow slower. So if you find that your hair splits and breaks easily, regular trims might help. If you're going to trim every 2 months, I would definitely trim less than an inch, probably half an inch or less to make sure you don't cut off all your new growth (which will make it seem like your hair isn't growing). You can also look into S&D (search&destroy), where you search your hair for individual split ends and trim only those hairs, without trimming the entire length of your hair. I have to admit that I'm personally too lazy to do that, so I just live with a couple of split ends..

(2): Lush shampoo bars contain SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate)(at least I think they still do), a pretty harsh detergent that really strips your hair and scalp of its natural oils, causing your scalp to try and counteract that by producing more oil. This might be the reason you get greasy roots and feel the need to wash it every day, though it might also just be your hair. If you feel these products work for you though, you should definitely continue to use them, because what works for some people will not work for everyone :). I don't know if you are currently using silicones in your conditioner/styling products, but if you are you could consider switching to a shampoo containing SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate), which is somewhat less harsh than SLS, but will still wash out any residue from silicones you use. If you decide you want to switch to sulfate-free or milder-sulfate shampoos than SLES, make sure you also get rid of the silicones in your routine, as they might cause buildup.
So overal: any shampoo that works for you and your routine is fine, I can't really recommend a specific shampoo because everybody's hair is different.

(3): For a treatment you might like SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128), which is a really nice moisturizing treatment recipe. You could also try an oil treatment on your hair before you wash it, where you put a lot of oil (coconut for example) on your ends and if you like it on your scalp. Then you wash and condition as usual. This is what I do, but be aware that oils don't rinse out that easily for everyone and you might need to condition before you wash to get rid of the oils better (I suggest using a cheapie conditioner for that).
I would like to tell you that a premade hair mask in a jar has worked wonders for me, but it hasn't (even though I really want it to). It's just an extra-thick conditioner it seems :(. Other members might have suggestions for you regarding that though.

(4): Apple Cider Vinegar (or any other acidit rinse) is used to bring the PH of the hair back to normal and to close the cuticles after washing. People use it mostly after using a baking-soda wash or a shampoo bar, as those are both pretty alkaline (is that the correct word? I mean the opposite of acidic, but I'm no scientist :P). You could also use it after your regular wash routine for extra shine or if you have really hard water. I don't have much experience with it though, so I can't tell you that much more about it :(.

(5): I really like coconut oil and should probably use it more often. I use it mostly as an oil treatment before washing. I apply quite a generous amount of it to my hair and scalp and then I wash it out. Be aware though, that coconut oil does not work for everyone, and neither does applying oil on your scalp (as EtherealDoll already mentioned it causes shedding for some). After a while you might feel you're ready to experiment a little with different oils to see which one works best for your hair.
Also I should mention using mineral oil on your ends (NOT on your scalp though) to seal in moisture. An old member (no longer a member though sadly) has a great blog (http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.nl/) explaining the use of mineral oil on your hair. I like to use it after washing and it does feel like it holds in moisture a little bit better and it also feels and looks less greasy than some other oils. But when I get to day 2 or 3, I usually get back to using natural oils and putting my hair in an updo.

I hope this helps you somewhat, I know it can be a lot to take in. Just remember that you don't have to fix something that isn't broken, and what works for others may not work for you.

jacqueline101
March 26th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I agree I wouldn't change too much if you're wanting growth you might try monistat.

lovinglocks
March 26th, 2013, 12:52 PM
As much as I adore Lush, I would avoid their shampoos/conditioners. I used to use their solid shampoos and their conditioners, but I've come to learn they put some pretty harsh stuff in them like SLS, including their conditioners, which is a little odd...

I use Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner and love them both. I recently purchased an all natural shampoo bar at the local flea market and have been using that, and I really quite like it.

Magalo
March 26th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Do not trim so much! Hair grow an average of 1/2 inch a month. If you cut an inch every two months, they'll never grow longer. If you are prone to damaged ends, maybe cut 1/4 inch once in a while, or S&D only.

Naiadryade
March 26th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Welcome! And congratulations on starting your journey.

First off--and it sounds like you may have already realized this--be GENTLE! Detangle often enough that your hair never gets crazy tangled, and gently enough that you're not ripping or snapping your hair if possible. Go slow, and use your fingers to gently untangle knots. Most folks on here detangle using either a Tangle Teezer or a wide-toothed, seamless comb--both are less damaging ways than using a regular brush, a smaller comb, or a comb with seams. Personally, I've found that when I lightly oil my hair and bun or braid it when sleeping or doing active things, I get few enough tangles that I can just finger-comb, and I rarely hear the snap of a breaking hair when detangling anymore. Less breakage means fewer splits, which means less breakage and faster apparent growth.

And when I say faster apparent growth, I don't mean faster growth from the scalp. Trimming doesn't make your hair grow faster--it just removes splits and other kinds of damage, which break off and keep traveling up the hair shaft until it is cut with sharp scissors. If you have splits, you'll want to remove them. If you don't, for goodness sake don't cut your hair if you want it to get longer! Of course, after the way you've been treating it (I did similar before LHC), I would expect you to have a lot of splits and damage--hence why it has stopped at waist. But once that damage is removed and you're preventing future damage, you shouldn't need to trim every two months. I'm prone to damage just from having dry hair going through everyday life and not getting put up 24/7... but I don't trim every 2 months. Instead, I removed most of the damage in one go, and then have been doing a little S&D most days to stop new damage in its tracks. I've been gaining length faster, and have much healthier-looking hair, since doing this.

If you're trimming your own hair at all, definitely invest in a pair of scissors made for cutting hair and only EVER use them on hair, nothing else, to keep them sharp enough not to create more damage in your hair. Also keep in mind that on average, hair grows 1/2" per month. This varies greatly from person to person, and can be less or more--but if you trimmed 1 inch every 2 months you'd likely be cutting off all your new length.

ETA: Also, wearing your hair up is really important. In buns and braids, not ponytails. This is especially true when sleeping, or doing anything that will increase friction or tangles in your hair--but many LHC'ers wear their hair bunned or braided practically 24/7. Use gentle toys to do this, such as hair sticks, spin pins, hair forks, ficcares, flexi-8's... there are a lot of fun possibilities. Use soft scrunchies when you have to, instead of elastics.

Beyond that, keep in mind the LHC motto of "YMMV" - your mileage may vary. Know that what works for someone else's hair may not work for yours, even if you seemingly have the same hair type. With that in mind, only try one new thing at once--if you do a new treatment at the same time as changing your shampoo, and your hair freaks out afterwards, which was the problem, the treatment or the shampoo?

ACV, well diluted in water, balances the pH of the hair and scalp. It also closes the cuticle, which protects the hair somewhat and makes it shiny. If you have issues with dandruff do to scalp fungus (a very common cause of dandruff), ACV can help a lot by killing the fungus. Doing some kind of acidic rinse (ACV, white vinegar, lemon juice, citric acid, etc--all diluted in water) is essential after using anything alkaline on your hair.

If your hair likes coconut oil, stick with it. If not, try other oils. I use extra virgin olive oil mixed with rice bran oil. There are lots of oils out there and everyone has different experiences with them. Also try applying the oil when your hair is wet vs when it is dry and see what your hair likes better. I oil my hair every couple of days or so, but I also only wash once a week-ish. If I washed more frequently I would probably oil more frequently too.

Others have given good advice about the harshness of Lush products potentially creating your greasy-roots problem. However, if you still have this problem after switching products and/or stretching your washes, you might want to try using a boar bristle brush after detangling. It can be very effective at spreading sebum and oils through the length of your hair, so it's not all sitting at your roots. Use caution and watch your hair, however, especially since it is fine. Many folks swear by their BBB, but others find them to be too rough and damaging for their hair.

And of course, keep reading, experimenting and loving your hair.

Good luck and happy growing!

patienceneeded
March 26th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Good luck on your long hair journey! There's lots of really good advice on this site, enjoy learning new things!

A few tips:

Don't change too much all at once. Change one thing at a time, it makes it a lot easier to diagnose what works and does not work for you.

Everyone has different hair and different needs. What is a miracle for one is a disaster for another

Hair grows (average) 1/2" a month. If you trim 1" every 2 months your hair won't get longer. The condition may improve, but it won't get longer if you cut your growth off every 2 months. Try S&D with good hair scissors and stretch your time between trims.