PDA

View Full Version : Ponytail holder tangle from hell! I had to cut it out!!

moeZy
March 25th, 2013, 11:08 PM
:( I just couldn't get the eff-in thing out!! I have learned a valuable lesson now. I need to get wooden hair pins and ficares. I had pulled my hair into a half-up with a stupid ponytail holder,...bad idea! I don't think it shows,but I had to cut a piece of significant lengh!! Oh, well, life goes on and three years of growth down the drain (maybe I am being too dramatic).

Just for your info, I tried saturating the tangle with conditioner but to no avail.

Kaelee
March 25th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Yikes! What kind of elastic was it? I've never had that happen but my dad uses those stupid rubber ones and they are always covered in ripped out hairs when he takes them out.

moeZy
March 25th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Yes!! No more! It was an elastic covered in a little bit of cloth to help minimize damage I guess. I know of the pure rubber ones too..no good! This one was a Scuni plain black pontail elastic I guess my hair is to long for that kind of thing, I'm still working out the best way to treat my hair,

sparrowswing
March 26th, 2013, 01:01 AM
Honestly, I've never been able to do a half-up with a ponytail holder without ripping out some hair. There was a time when I did them anyway because they were cute (and what are a few strands of hair each day to an oblivious teen?), but now I'm cautious doing half-ups with anything, no matter how gentle it is. My hair really hates being sectioned off, though, and usually rebels quite painfully. It's why French/Dutch braids aren't a regular thing for me either.

moeZy
March 26th, 2013, 03:32 AM
It's fascinating to me how much variation there is in hair! What is great for one person is terrible for the next. I guess I am too long for half ups....OR if anyone has any suggestions for gentle ways of doing half=ups, I would appreciate the info.

woolyleprechaun
March 26th, 2013, 03:36 AM
My hair hates half-ups, too. I haven't been able to use scrunchies or conventional hair ties now for some time, and I'm only just at waist. I've lost significant amounts of hair figuring that out :( I know how you feel....

jacqueline101
March 26th, 2013, 05:23 AM
I've never had a pony tail get stuck in my hair. I feel your pain.

QMacrocarpa
March 26th, 2013, 06:58 AM
I guess I am too long for half ups....OR if anyone has any suggestions for gentle ways of doing half=ups, I would appreciate the info.
Some gentler ideas for securing half-ups: Goody ouchless barrettes (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/goody-ouchless-flex-comfort-flex-barrettes/ID=prod4926523-product), Flexi-8's (http://www.flexi8.com/), and small claw clips.

Kaelee
March 26th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Honestly, I've never been able to do a half-up with a ponytail holder without ripping out some hair. There was a time when I did them anyway because they were cute (and what are a few strands of hair each day to an oblivious teen?), but now I'm cautious doing half-ups with anything, no matter how gentle it is. My hair really hates being sectioned off, though, and usually rebels quite painfully. It's why French/Dutch braids aren't a regular thing for me either.

My hair doesn't like being sectioned either. :lol: but I can do half-ups, if I'm careful and use something like a flexi-8 or a barrette. (With all those toys why would I use an elastic anyway? ;))

Naiadryade
March 26th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Yeah, those supposedly "ouchless" hair ties can be brutal. I use scrunchies for things like tying off the ends of braids or doing very very fast and easy buns, and I've never had a hair get caught or tangled in them! Just get the softest ones you can find--mine are very soft jersey fabric, but I've always got my eyes out for silk ones. Another thing I don't think has been mentioned is spin pins. They're very gentle and hold very well!

I think you can probably still do half-ups! Just with gentler tools. But my hair doesn't object very much to being sectioned, so maybe if you're like the folks whose hair hates that, then I could be wrong.

Also... :bigeyes: is your fingermonkey real? What is it? :crush:

longNred
March 26th, 2013, 10:31 AM
elastic hair bands are EVIL. (not for everyone, but for me) I have YET to find one that won't rip my hair out. actually I totally quit looking for one. I can use them on the END of a braid, but up any higher in my hair is a BAD BAD BADDDD idea. even the ouchless ones are liars. I refuse to do buns that start with ponytail holders. I've finally accepted those things simply aren't meant for my hair. If it must go up in a pony, I use my old trusty (soft) scrunchy. yup, it's ugly, but it does the job, and does it GENTLY.

I've even had issues with claw clips lately. i don't know why, but my hair likes to get one or 2 strands wrapped around those things.

I LOVE my spin pins though! those things are fantastic.