PDA

View Full Version : Compiling a list of all the things that may strip the henna from your beautiful hair

ThisDreamer
March 25th, 2013, 08:19 PM
There seems to be a quite a few things lately that I come across where people are stating, "I think this may have stripped some of the henna from my hair...". Tea tree, for example, is the most recent I have found, and if your like me and want to keep your beautiful red tones and have been using TTO in your baking soda wash, well.....I suppose you can imagine the horror that bolts through your heart. (Especially since I was wondering why it seemed my roots might be fading...)

So, I think a thread is order where people can submit the random little things they've found fade their henna. I apologize if there is already one of these, I admit I didn't look.

So to start it off my list is: Tea tree, heavy and repeated oilings, honey treatments, and of course the ColorOops and their likes. (Also, for me, Amla. But only the lighter, tan powder which turns my hair from red to quite yellow. The dark brown seems to be fine.)

It's a pretty short list (I can't remember all I've come across), and most are pretty well known. That's why its up to you to add your two cents and help build upon it. :D

Becky9679
March 29th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Sulphates strip a hell of a lot of the henndigo colour from my hair, though I don't know their effect on straight henna. That's one of the reasons I went CO not long after becoming a henndigo head!

spirals
March 29th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I'm happy about this list for the opposite reason: I want to henna in the fall, but have it slowly fade out, as after a few months I'd be bored with red. So it's good to know what will work. Tea tree Dr. Bronner, anyone? :D

Salmonberry
March 29th, 2013, 08:16 PM
I want my henna glosses to fade, and they do! I think shampooing more often makes it fade faster as do lots of deep treatments. I recently washed with tea tree oil a couple times and it got noticeably lighter.

HylianGirl
March 30th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I heard that olive oil deep treatment mixed with amla can fade henna, but you already listed those as well xD I intend to henna soon enough, so I'll keep and eye on this thread. Also, does coconut oil fade henna? I love using it

littlestarface
March 30th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Bar soap will lift it.

sedonia
April 1st, 2013, 03:32 PM
Henna is very permanent on my hair. I use half henna half cassia to maintain a light natural auburn, and I touch up the roots monthly, but the length only about 3x per year, and then it is really just a henna gloss.

The only thing that seems to change my hair color is exposure to sunlight. If I don't keep my hair covered in the summer time, it does bleach out and lose the red tone.

I use regular coney sulfate-y shampoo and conditioner. When my coney styling products build up, I use prell to clarify. None of these seem to have any affect on my hair color.