PDA

View Full Version : "Dry Bars"? What the heck?

PetuniaBlossom
March 25th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I must be so out of it - I just heard about 'blowout bars' or blow-dry bars, apparently salons where they just shampoo and blow-dry hair, no cuts, coloring, etc. In one article it talked about a woman in, I think, Dallas, who has a standing appointment three times a week at one such salon, and goes to another on Sunday or Monday when her regular place is closed. It costs $55 dollars each time (plus tip, I assume) so this lady is spending lots of money and time getting her hair blow-fried. I don't know why this particular phenomenon struck me as so strange, I mean, lots of people probably shampoo and blow-dry their own hair at home 3 or 4 times a week, right? But I just got an image of all that heat just killing so much hair and it really was kind of disturbing. The article also talked about the operators at these places being told never to put the blow-dryer down or turn it off, they do a high volume of business that way. *sigh*

alexis917
March 25th, 2013, 02:21 PM
They never turn the blow-dryers off?
Uh...even if you don't agree with the idea or not, I admit that sounds like a fire hazard.

melusine963
March 25th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I imagine this kind of service is useful for people who are unable to wash and style their own hair. They may suffer from arthritis, have just had surgery or stitches, have a broken arm, etc. I agree that going every day sounds a bit excessive.

Suze2012
March 25th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Never heard of them in the UK...but people do go and get just a wash and blow dry over here..some anyway...mostly the older generation to be fair.

Sunny_side_up
March 25th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Eek, not for my scalp and hair. The occasional times where i've been to a hairdresser and had a wash, cut and blow dry i shudder at the hair drying bit! Feels too intense and hot for me, also the constant brushing, and dislike the next time i wash and see how my hair had got frazzled once products are washed out... So the last two times i have stepped into a salon, i pass on the blow dry. Saves some money and hair looks & feels nice.

goldloli
March 25th, 2013, 02:50 PM
My step mom used to get hers blown out 3x per week. She had the classic middle aged lady pixie that required blowdrying with a round brush for volume at the top. Since she went so often, they gave her discount rate of £5 per time. People who frequent salons like this also are the kind to get regular trims so I don't think damage is an issue for them. It can run pretty expensive but if you have the money, like styled hair and not having to do it yourself, then why not?

Salmonberry
March 25th, 2013, 02:50 PM
The only thing about that that sounds ridiculous to me is the price. With $55 I could eat like a king for a week. I will admit, it does feel nice to have my hair washed and blowdried on warm/cool by a professional every once in a while. But I wouldn't pay $55 for it. But hey if there a are people who have that kind money to spend, then more power to them. They're stimulating the local economy and helping keep people employed.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these places aren't necessarily using temperatures that could severely damage hair, or maybe they could be. There's no way of really knowing unless you take a thermometer in to check. If done correctly, blow drying won't fry hair.

jacqueline101
March 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I've never seen that in the united states. I'm going to keep an eye out.

alexis917
March 25th, 2013, 05:20 PM
"Classic middle-aged lady pixie" made my day.

ellen732
March 25th, 2013, 07:18 PM
It's not all that strange a phenomenon actually. As a hairstylist I would have curly hair clients come in once a week or every other week to have their hair shampooed and blown out straight. It's a lot easier to have someone else do it.

Or even when people have a special occasion and come in to have their hair styled professionally, it's the same thing.

I think the "never turn the blowdryer off" isn't literal.

Mesmerise
March 25th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Well I haven't heard of places where they JUST wash and dry. But I do remember that my grandmother used to get her hair blow waved weekly at the hairdresser's! She never washed it at home herself, just tried to preserve the style until the next week. I guess if you've got the disposable income, and it's worth it to you to not have to do it yourself?!...

Kaelee
March 25th, 2013, 11:18 PM
It seems like a big waste of time and money to me...but I don't understand why you can't do those things yourself. (unless you're disabled or something and really *can't*) It might be nice as a treat but not everyday! I can think of much more valuable ways to spend my time.

Carolyn
March 26th, 2013, 05:08 AM
My mom was of the generation that went to the salon for a wash, set and style every week. These ladies were super obsessively careful with their hair during the week. My mom simply could not do her own hair. I remember when she tried and she just couldn't do it. There are times when I could love to go to a salon for a shampoo and super straight blow dry style. I never can get mine as straight at home as a stylist can. I've considered doing it but I've never done it. I get it styled at the salon when I get it colored and trimmed and I love the blow dried results. If someone has the money and time and wants to get their hair done a couple times a week, I don't think it's a big deal. I am fairly sure those ladies aren't as protective of their hair as we are.

MegaMystery
March 26th, 2013, 05:14 AM
I've heard of it, I read a review-type post on a dutch beautyblog about it. I think it's pretty nice if you have a special occasion or something, because I do love the way my hair looks when it's blowdried. I can't imagine going there a couple of times a week, or even a couple of times a month!

Tabitha
March 26th, 2013, 01:15 PM
I think this is more a big city thing. There are certainly a number of them in London and I would imagine NYC etc are the same. Some city women who are high earners place a premium on looking groomed at all times and are prepared to pay for a good result. A bit like some busy people will pay a gardener to have their lawn mowed and hedges trimmed.

There's no doubt that if you have "normal" (not LHC) length hair, that isn't being worn up, a salon blowdry gives a far better result than what you can manage at home, and it makes you feel and look better. I've always been challenged to deal with my fine-but-a-lot of it, double-crowned, waywardly wavy hair.

A lot of it is to do with the fact that the stylist can use their arms and hands completely independently, as well as their professional skill and tools (I now have an expensive Parlux professional hairdryer and it's made a lot of difference to how quickly my hair dries and how shiny it is, but it's heavy in the hand and still the arms-up and behind the head thing is very difficult for me. It's not just really old ladies who have upper limb problems - these things creep up on you with the decades).

Unofficial_Rose
March 26th, 2013, 01:23 PM
My hairdresser blow-dries my hair so much sleeker than I can manage, so I can imagine it would be good to do this for a special occasion, or if you're one of those ultra-groomed ladies. It also seems to stay that way for ages, unlike when I do it.

Tabitha, I am curious about Parlux hairdryers and I'm going to have a look online!

patienceneeded
March 26th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I first heard of dry bars about a year or so ago in a fashion magazine (Allure? Glamour? Marie Claire?). They seem to be popular in the bigger cities like NYC, Dallas, Boston, etc. I can see the allure in going to a dry bar if you have the income to support the habit and a career where a very polished and professional look is a must. I'm not here to judge someone else's idea of what it takes to have beautiful hair. I wouldn't appreciate someone judging my choices in haircare, I will not place judgement on another for the same thing. My :twocents:

Aliped
March 26th, 2013, 02:16 PM
the classic middle aged lady pixie that required blowdrying with a round brush for volume at the top.
I used to work for a paediatrician who had hair like this. It was also bleached blond and she had it styled at a salon every Friday afternoon. I'm pretty sure she never washed or styled it herself.... I always thought it was odd.

ghost
March 26th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I live in California, and blowdy bars have taken off here. You can find them even in the smaller towns and cities. I'd probably go for it once in a while if my hair responded better to being blown dry, getting a professional shampoo/style is actually a nice treat.