PDA

View Full Version : Hair feels thin after starting natural ruotine?

Blackfire
March 25th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I have golden brown, 3a/ii/bsl, extremly fairy-tailed hair that splits easily and has chin length bangs.... its not thin persay, but since I stopped using products with nothing wieghing it down its has turned into a CLOUD of very thin feeling naked fly away frizz. It feels like there is NOTHING there, like I dont have hair. I measured and my circumference is still just shy of three inches... so its NOT actually thinning.. just FEELS thin. :(

Ive only been poo-free, product free for a few weeks, its really an expieriment.... and so far I loved the BS wash with vinegar/rosemary rinse, I didnt need to wash again for a whole week, and this time I tried an egg wash after a good coconut oiling and the same vinegar rosemary rinse.... POOOOF! :justy:

I could deal with fluffy hair if it was BIG but this is a thin flossy halo... mostly my bangs... they just FLOAT around... whisp here, whisp there.... its not attractive... it makes me think of my uncles combover when it it would go awhol in the breeze.

I liked the egg wash as it didnt dry it out and my roots feel GLORIOUS! (no eggs where aplyed to ends) its just everything else is flying around despite my oiling the love out of it, smoothing it down with aleo gel, and playing with my bangs for a good hour.... even clipped back they look terrible! The rest of it is in an infinity bun and hopefully will be a lot calmer when I take it down later...

Any natural suggestion to make it not feel so thin and fly away?

Naiadryade
March 25th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Hmm. I was going to say you should oil it, but you said you are doing that. You're leaving it in, right, not just the pre-wash kind of oiling? What kind of oil are you using? Are you putting it on your hair wet or dry? It's possible that a different oil or a different way of applying it might do the trick.

I have also found that egg washes give my hair more volume. Which I LOVE, but if you don't, you probably want to steer clear of them for now.

Do you touch it a lot while it's drying? That might also encourage your curls to un-clump and turn into frizz.

Maybe flax gel spray would help you? It seems to do really well for all-natural curly girls at taming frizz and defining curl. You might want to check out this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110611) by Spirals.

Angelica
March 25th, 2013, 11:05 AM
This is why my hair can't go "natural" like that. Terribly fine hair that is incredibly flyaway. Your hair is very thick though compared to mine. Mine is not so flyaway now when I don't resort to hairspray. And I wear it up. Other than that I only can sympathise, which isn't much help to you at all, sorry :(

lapushka
March 25th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I'd say go back to what you were doing before; it's not worth it! Do what your hair likes, not what you would like your hair to like.

leslissocool
March 25th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Yes, I'd go to your other routine.

I oil and use many natural products, but I use TONS of cones too. My hair does so much better.

melusine963
March 25th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I would recommend trying a little bit of oil as a leave-in. Not enough to make your hair greasy, but enough to moisturise and weigh it down a little. Coconut oil is one of the few oil that is actually absorbed by your hair, rather than just sitting on the surface, so hopefully using it will help.

Naiadryade
March 25th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I would recommend trying a little bit of oil as a leave-in. Not enough to make your hair greasy, but enough to moisturise and weigh it down a little. Coconut oil is one of the few oil that is actually absorbed by your hair, rather than just sitting on the surface, so hopefully using it will help.

It could also be that an oil that isn't absorbed as much would help weigh and smooth it more. Different oils do different things for different people's hair! Try out a few different oils (I like olive), and see what works for you.

Anje
March 25th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Like others have said, use a little oil or an alcohol-free gel to give your hair some clumps. That'll help a lot.

earthnut
March 25th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Have you tried protein treatments? Protein is what hair is made of and PTs add strength and structure to hair. Fine hair usually loves extra protein. Gelatin, soy sauce, beer, egg, milk, coconut milk are all homemade PTs.

Suze2012
March 25th, 2013, 01:58 PM
it's hard sometimes to tell from a description how hair feels unless it's really obvious eg greasy or something.

My experience could be similar to ours though..if mine has nothing on it at all it feels really light to me...really soft but without much substance to it.

I tried a teen bit of oil daily on a few occasions and it made it greasy looking.
Actually, i now only ever use oil for a deep condition overnight.

i have started trying glycerin with rosewater from the chemist and poured it into a spray bottle.
i also use about an index finger pad worth of curl creme - too much of it though and it can feel heavy and crunchy.
the glyderin seems to be helping my hair 'feel like strong hair'

I missed spraying a bit today and it has been a fluffy chunk of hair all day - i just gave ot a spray and it's bounced it back up and given it a bit more life.

Admittedly though I don't use natural products- I co wash - which m hair likes much better than shamppo and conditioner.
How natural glycerin is considered...or not I don't know.

I do agree with those above to do what your hair likes..if it doesn't like it don't do it.:)

EtherealDoll
March 25th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Some hair just works much better with cones. You can just use a coney conditioner from ears down so that it doesn't touch your scalp.

Naiadryade
March 25th, 2013, 02:41 PM
It could also be that baking soda is too harsh and drying a way for you to be washing your hair. There are lots of ways to wash your hair naturally! Personally I've also done water-only washing, lavender tea washes, bentonite clay washes, egg washes, clay and egg together, and the all-natural products Terressentials and Shea Moisture. I only use baking soda (very well diluted in water) when I feel like I need to clarify.

If you want to go all-natural, I'd really recommend trying more natural strategies for your hair before just going back to putting a bunch of synthetic chemicals on your head. I have very different hair from you, but as someone who has been through a journey of finding the right kind of all-natural care for my hair (I'm not done yet, but I'm getting a lot closer)... one all-natural routine is not the same as another, and most people have to experiment to find what works for their hair anyway.

Go read through current and old threads on the herbal haircare board. Some people wash their hair with bean flours! Also, I recently learned that a few of the natural haircare articles that are currently down are on Shell's website, here (http://gossamerstrands.com/Hair/Westherbart.htm)and here (http://www.gossamerstrands.com/Hair/Indianherbs.htm). (Thanks Shell!) They are full of really wonderful information and ideas of things to try.

For me, Shea Moisture has been my favorite so far. It might be too heavy for your hair, but maybe that's actually perfect? If you were using rich moisturizing products before but want to get away from the synthetic chemicals, I'd definitely recommend it.

faellen
March 26th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Do what your hair likes, not what you would like your hair to like.

100% this!

Vintagecoilylocks
March 26th, 2013, 08:39 AM
The same thing happen to me. I finally realized that my big hair was not truelly my hair but a result of products and treatment. I believeI have closer to my natural hair now and from there I am better able to serve it. I eventually was rid of splits and I have recently gone to water wash only. You do have to give the switch to natural some time. what ever all the abuse did to your hair before is not going to go away it has to grow out. Baking soda may be too much. Other's are right that coconut oil soaks into the hair. Look to your roots. That is your hair. The length that is there is not. Accepting our hair for what it is is the beginning of understanding what it really needs. Then it will thrive. I too have very fine hair. I also use a shea butter mixture with aloe and other oils to make it a light creamy fluffy mixture. Don't give up. I was told by some one long ago that you know when you are serving your hair when there are no splits ends, it will feel supple and sort of moist and cool. When in a bun or when you squeeze it sort of springs back in your hands. To protect the already damaged hair and find what works for your new growth is challenging but worth it in the end. Aloe gel, (edible grade) blended with shea butter and other oils help with moisture.