PDA

View Full Version : Seal, seal,and seal.

jennescence
March 24th, 2013, 01:12 AM
I am sure many of you know this, but I thought I would mention what I learned with the newbies.
While browsing through an African hair growing sight I ran across something that really made sense to me. They were talking about how they seal the ends of their hair. The method is to wet the ends of your hair and coat them in an oil of your choosing. I cut off all my dead ends and tried this for a month. I could really tell a difference. My ends were slightly thicker and I had absolutely no split ends. They recommended only doing this once a week but I did it every morning. I took it one step further. I noticed the top layer of my hair was looking drier than the rest. So I started only pulling the top layer of my hair forward and tying the rest back. Then I would wet the top layer and spread a tiny bit of oil on it. After a week of doing this I noticed the top layer looking quite a bit better. I hope this helped a few people. Most of you probably already knew about this, but it was an epiphany to me:)

alyaziaaah
March 24th, 2013, 03:55 AM
which oil did you use?

Rainbow2911
March 24th, 2013, 04:02 AM
I have very dry ends at the moment - seems like this would be a great solution! Thanks.

DarkCurls
March 24th, 2013, 04:04 AM
I've heard of it. When I first joined here my hair was dry (not a catastrophe, but still pretty dry) so I tried it out.
My hair would be weighed down by too much oil, but I've done this on my ends when they were feeling dry. Wet, apply sweet almond oil (the only oil on hand at the time, works like a charm), put up into bun and voila, soft ends when taken down.
Haven't done it in a while because my ends are finally soft on their own, but I liked the results. However, I didn't do it as often as the OP. Only once in a while, if I disliked the way my ends felt.

I'm not sure the type of oil matters, alyaziaaah. Like I said, I used almond oil and can see other oils (olive oil, grapeseed, jojoba, etc) working just as well. I imagine mineral oil would work well, and actually some of the silicone-based hair oils might -- because the goal here is to seal, not condition.

LadyCelestina
March 24th, 2013, 04:22 AM
These days,it's what I do to keep my hair moisturized between wash days until my scalp produces enough sebum to preen and make detangling easier.

I wet my slightly fingercombed hair,use HESH jasmine oil /a mix of coconut oil,castor oil,sunflower and mineral oil/ let it dry and then fingercomb thoroughly and finish with a wooden comb.It makes a huge difference in the condition of my hair!
In the past,I have used conditioner,but I found that it just brings out my waves and curls,but doesn't aid a slightest bit in the detangling process.

jacqueline101
March 24th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I read that too after you trim seal the ends you won't have splits. Ive wondered what oil to use or is there a better way.

dwell_in_safety
March 24th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I've started to do this halfway between my washes, sealing with coconut oil. It works really well, and my ends look great. I also have started using Nightblooming's Panacea, which has a little bit of protein in it, as a leave-in after a wash. Some people get crunchy ends from too much protein, but I had them from not enough. My ends already look better after just a few washes doing these things, and I know that after their trim April 1 they will look and feel amazing.

Some hair doesn't particularly take to being wet when oiled. My hair is like that. The key is to use a spray bottle to just get it slightly damp, to where it is barely perceptible that there is any water in your hair. It works like a charm.

teal
March 24th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I wonder whether the effectiveness of this is limited by prior damage. I've oiled ends after s&d and they just get the white dots and splits again anyway, but the hair has heat damage.

Kaelee
March 24th, 2013, 11:49 AM
I've been doing this with coconut oil on and off for years. I love it!

cranberrymoonz
March 24th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I'll definetely try this.

MaryMarx
March 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM
This reminds me of: https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/613513984/h47AD46D4/ :D
(Nothing weird, just a cute picture.)

DarkCurls
March 24th, 2013, 12:19 PM
That is so cute MaryMarx...

For the poster who mentioned previous damage... I don't know whether this method would do anything to prevent damage. I've only used it to seal in moisture, to make my ends softer. The OP talked about preventing split ends, but I don't see how that would work...?