PDA

View Full Version : Hospital hair?

Barefoot
March 23rd, 2013, 11:08 PM
I will be having day surgery on Wed, I was after styles that would be lying down friendly, and would look good walking out later.

Ravenwind
March 23rd, 2013, 11:51 PM
High buns or braids probably, any style that doesn't get caught between your back and the bed (if you'll have to stay overnight). Good luck with your surgery!

Natalia
March 24th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Braids are always good. If they start up higher on the corwn adding more hair as you get to the nape they hold better. I find i cant sleep in buns but if you can give it a go. High pony with a gentle elastic braided length wrapped into a cinnabun is decently flat and stays well. Depending on what kind of mobility you will have and how long you'll be keeping it might determine it more. The longer it has to stay in place for me i find starting lower at the nape is better.

DancingQueen
March 24th, 2013, 01:19 AM
I don't know how long your hair is, but how about a french braid tucked under itself? Or if your hair is too long, check out these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M (would be perfect for long hair!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND5dJXnBs2k (would be ok for shorter hair)

Natalia
March 24th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Fotgot to mention be sure whatever you secure it with is metal free. They ten to take away anything metal even if you arent having imaging done just to be safe.

Rainbow2911
March 24th, 2013, 02:49 AM
I would do a french paranda braid and take a hair stick to turn it into a Jamie-Leigh on the way out. That's my sleep style when I'm not going to have time to do anything with my hair in the morning!

humble_knight
March 24th, 2013, 04:15 AM
The patients I saw had plaits, which could be tucked over the pillow when they came back pre- and post-operatively.

Barefoot
March 24th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Thank you. I will do a braid.

heidi w.
March 24th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Two braids, keeps the hair tidy for the most part.
It works; I've had to use it.
heidi w.

lydiajo
March 24th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Whatever style you choose, check that when your head is flat on the bed that you don't have a lump under your head. If your head wont stay flat on the bed in neutral position then anesthesia won't be happy. How about braided and wrapped around at your hair line and secured by hair taping. That would be my choice.

Kelikea
March 24th, 2013, 07:19 AM
I would do two side braids.

PraiseCheeses
March 24th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Another vote of experience speaking for side braids, best sewn to your head with a ribbon like hair taping. You'll be lying down, so a center braid, especially french or dutch, is going to be a big ol' lump and get pretty messy and uncomfortable. Your hair will be in a cap for the actual surgery. Also, bring a large silk scarf if you can, and put it over your pillow - they're generally pretty rough. :) I had my neck fused a year ago and was in the hospital for three days. I had to leave my side braids in for a week because I physically couldn't wash my hair - and I was amazed at how easily my hair combed out.

Good luck - hope it goes well. :)

jacqueline101
March 24th, 2013, 08:27 AM
I second the braids.

AineMuirne
March 24th, 2013, 08:30 AM
My mother did a side braid for me (my hair was already a little matted at the scalp because it was an emergency, so I didn't have any preparation) and it worked really well to minimize the knots. I was flat on my back for 5 days.

Tabitha
March 24th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Another vote for two side braids. That's what I did when I had elbow surgery. Braid them as tight as you possibly can so they stay in and don't get loose and fuzzy. Braiding tighter also makes them shorter.

Celtic Morla
March 24th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I'd do 2 braids but I'd oil my hair first get two things doen at once!

gilber007
March 24th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I would just add that it is also going to depend on what surgery you'll be having. If you're having something that might require your head to turn or you to lay on your side (something on your neck or shoulder or the side of your face or chest, for example) you likely won't want a hairstyle that will be on the side of your head. And I'll also second the no metal. I love my flexi-8s dearly, but if the metal of them could even remotely touch your scalp, you'll have to remove it. That's in order to prevent burns to that area from the electrocautery used to control bleeding. Good luck with your hair and your surgery!

Barefoot
March 24th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I will be on my back. I might do 2 side French braids . Then use a flexi-8 to bun them together to leave.