PDA

View Full Version : No heat success! *pic*

hemolymph
March 23rd, 2013, 08:02 PM
For some reason.. it's REALLY hard to get into my little brain that heat=bad for my hair. I have been desperately wanting long hair for years yet I keep using hot styling products (on a high heat setting I might add..).. and continually have severe damage and back to the salon I go to get it all chopped off.

Well, for a week straight a month ago.. I used a curling iron on my hair. At the end of the week I had major breakage.. like a new layer had been created in my hair because of how much hair fell out. I already had super damaged hair to begin with.

So it finally sunk in that I HAVE to stop with heat!

But... when I let my hair dry completely natural I get super depressed about my appearance. But I recently found a compromise that is promising because I've stuck to it all week and I am pretty pleased with how my hair is turning out (considering how damaged it is..)

So what I do is gently comb my hair with a wide tooth comb after the shower to make sure it's tangle free. After it air dries for a bit I use my hair dryer on the cool setting JUST on my roots so I can fluff it up a bit with my hands and give it some volume that's hard for me to get if it just dries naturally. Then the rest of my hair stays wet and eventually dries wavy.

So I am cheating a little but by using the cool setting but at least it's not warm or even hot.. it really does make a difference in how I feel versus letting everything dry natural.

So this is the result.. it's not amazing but I can at least live with it! Long hair, here we come.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/OnesOnTheWay/012_zps4201fdf1.jpg

Kaelee
March 23rd, 2013, 08:05 PM
Cool setting is fine!!! :)

And your hair looks great!!! Beautiful curls!

kidari
March 23rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
It looks like you styled it in that effortless chic way! Not only does not using heat save time but the style lasts longer, especially if you are letting your hair do what it already naturally wants to do. I'm excited to give your root lift method a try. I just bought my first "nice" hair dryer.

winship2
March 23rd, 2013, 08:59 PM
Super cute-- both you and your 'do! Also, I think I like your blouse a lot :)

kpzra
March 23rd, 2013, 09:13 PM
I'd love for my hair to do that, it's stick straight. :( I love the photobombing little one, mine does that too unless I lock the door. :lol:

WaitingSoLong
March 23rd, 2013, 09:17 PM
I dry my hair all the time. :shrug: But I never use an iron. Ever. Please don't be afraid of hair dryers. As logn as you can hold you hand comfortably under the heat stream by your hair then it is not too hot.

KittyBird
March 24th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Very pretty, I like your hair colour too! I agree with the other posters, using a hair dryer on the cool setting won't do any harm. :)

teal
March 24th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I like it and I think it looks good on you! I hope you're happy with the result and can achieve those longer lengths you've been wanting. :)

Naiadryade
March 24th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Your natural waves are gorgeous!! :flower:

jacqueline101
March 24th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Very pretty. If you dry use a heat protectant.

melusine963
March 24th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I think your hair looks beautiful in that photo. It has a wonderful colour, too.

joflakes
March 24th, 2013, 12:05 PM
That looks lovely! :D

rainfortheend
March 24th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Gorgeous! Congrats! :)

lazuliblue
March 24th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Ooh I love it! I try to get that effect with braid waves and so far it seems to be working. You definitely don't need the curling iron any more :)