PDA

View Full Version : Waist length hair and fairy tale ends? ANY hope of classic?!

Quixotica
March 23rd, 2013, 02:03 PM
Hey guys! Hope everyone is having a lovely day :)

So. My hair that started at a 1/4" pixie 4 years ago is now mere MILLIMETERS away from waist. :toast:

My problem - I have fairy tale ends. NOW, I love my fairy tale ends - let me say that first and foremost! I haven't had a major (or minor) trim in over a year and basically do a lot of S & D. My hair is and always has been very coarse but is in pretty darn good condition (not a lot of mechanical damage, I don't blow dry, I RARELY flat iron). I *do* dye my roots about once a month and my length every 3-4 ( I have no intentions of stopping, either....lol. )

My main goal is classic. Will I EVER reach classic with my ends, or will they just fizzle out before I ever reach it? Should I be doing more major trimming? Pictures of classic length fairy tale-ers would make me feel SOOOO good, lol. Any suggestions for products?

Thanks for listening, guys!

spidermom
March 23rd, 2013, 02:13 PM
I think small trims on a regular basis are essential to prevent major thinning in the ends. Some hairs grow faster than others, and trimming holds the fastest growing hairs back so that slower growing hairs can catch up. Of course you have to be careful to only cut a little bit, like 1 inch or even less than that every 3-4 months.

Good luck, and it's terrific to see you.

Quixotica
March 23rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Spidermom: Thank you so much for your reply!!! Good to see you too - I mostly just lurk around here these days, haha....I really should be more active!!! I just love you guys <3

nobeltonya
March 23rd, 2013, 02:23 PM
Especially if you have coarse hair [I do also, and am kind of rough with my hair yet have made it to classic :)] you should have no problem making it to classic. I microtrim every 2-3 weeks, b/c I always wear it down [and I'm OCD.. I have to keep the ends neat] and while it may seem like it's taking forever, just have patience and be [relatively] easy to your hair. :disco:

Naiadryade
March 23rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
Could it be that the rare flat-ironing is keeping you back? Maybe not since your hair is coarse, but many people get a lot of damage/breakage from any amount of ironing at all.

I can't offer a lot of other help since my hair is nothing like yours and not as long, but I did think of trolleypup and EdG as inspiring super-long-haired fairy-talers. Some pictures on this page (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54031&page=54)... You could also look through the classic-to-knee thread for inspiration!

lmfbs
March 23rd, 2013, 05:16 PM
If you grew from pixie and haven't trimmed majorly, of course you'll have FTE. There's no reason why you wouldn't be able to reach classic. Personally, I'd probably just S&D and unless there's a real need for a trim.

heidi w.
March 23rd, 2013, 05:26 PM
Yes, in time you will reach classic.
Just don't cut the hair.
heidi w.

truepeacenik
March 27th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I was all fairy tale ends at waist, tailbone, classic (despite some micro trimming and one seven inch hack), and now at "fingertip when soaking wet." TM.

I keep telling myself that at landmark X, I will keep trimming to thicken the ends. I do, for a bit, but the call of length is a seductive siren.

Mandie
March 27th, 2013, 06:09 PM
I tend to fairytale super hard and then my hair stalls and it catches up with itself. Feb 2012 my hair was waist length, but only in the middle the rest was fairy-tailed at all sorts of lengths. Now all of my hair has caught up and it's down to a solid waist-creeping-toward-hip and I'm hoping it'll get a nice spurt down to maybe classic with the fairy tail ends again and then it is welcome to stall there an catch up again. xD As long as you don't have super babyfine hair you should at least be able to get to a solid tailbone as long as you're gentle with your hair. Fairytale doesn't always mean terminal.

truepeacenik
March 27th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Technically, all fairy tale means is uncut!:wigtongue

leslissocool
March 27th, 2013, 08:18 PM
You should be more than fine!

Tristania
March 27th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Mine are looking a tad sparse as well - I think I'll just keep my hair bunned as much as possible until about Christmas. Should be at tailbone by then.

LadyKate
March 27th, 2013, 09:06 PM
My hair's very fine and fairly thin, it isn't exactly fairy tale ends, but I do have (and have for a long time) pretty serious taper. I've made it from waist to almost tailbone in the last year or so, in spite of the significant taper and very thin ends. Have hope!

KLin
March 28th, 2013, 08:36 PM
My hair past waist last year, my fairyends have been at/past hip. I did not trim for a year, and this year am doing micro trims every few weeks to thicken my ends up. I am more careful about driving, and sitting without my hair rubbing on the backs so as to minimal damage to ends. I bun with a nice wood fork often, oil often and sleep with a side braid. I have not noticed more growth, just healthier hair.
I am not going to cut any length, or dye my hair and avoid chemicals so it will grow as long as it can. Good Luck.

socks
March 28th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Entirely possible. I've had fairytale ends since hip length, yet my hair didn't hit terminal until calf length. If you don't have splits and you like your fairytale ends, then you don't even really need to bother trimming.

woolyleprechaun
March 29th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Fairytale ends don't 'mean' anything ;) I'm sure you will be absolutely fine. I think FTEs are very pretty, and are very natural on anything longer than waist.

Quahatundightu
March 29th, 2013, 07:37 AM
I've had fairytale ends since mid back and have made it to TB so far. Hopefully I can reach classic too without too thin a hemline. So I think you should be fine. For me the biggest help was to do regular trims which helped thicken the ends.

TheVegan6
October 2nd, 2013, 08:29 PM
I had badly done, damaged V-layers at waist, but what do you know! Only 2 trims, one was 1 inch, the latter was 1.5 inches, and I just reached classic! Yaaaay! I haven't taken an updated length photo in a while, because my camera is broken, but it will happen soon.

pogo0685
October 2nd, 2013, 09:19 PM
My ends have been fairy tailed since BSL and for one full year I trimmed off all my growth plus some to try and get them to leave, still had them. So now I am growing it out without the goal of a blunt hemline. I have curly-ish hair so I actually like them on me. I am just about to reach hip and I do not think I will have any problem getting to classic in the next few years.

Silverbrumby
October 2nd, 2013, 11:37 PM
I have fairy tail ends at arm pit length and even after cutting my ends for two years there is no thickening hemline. I'm pretty sure my terminal is between bsl and waist.

Good luck.