PDA

View Full Version : I finally gave in...

Suze2012
March 22nd, 2013, 02:47 AM
..and bought a hairdryer with a diffuser...

I can't remember the last time I owned a proper full size hair dryer...I do remember that one Christmas morning while drying just my fringe it exploded on me though!
All I have had since then is a travel dryer just for drying the fringe so it doesn't kink all over the place.

So...I never ever did get on with diffusers so have you any tips or good videos to share on how to use them to best effect?

All i bought it for is to dry off 'some' of the wetness out of my hair for when I go out. British summertime begins next week and there's been heavy snow across a lot of the UK today so winter is still upon us and isn't showing signs of leaving any time soon.

I intend to use the lowest heat and speed settings (there's three heat settings and a cold shot and three speed settings on the dryer I bought).
I was shown by a hair dresser years ago to just plonk my hair on the diffuser and kind of circle it around a bit.

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question...and I should probably know how to use one of these things by now but I've never had much success with them and what I don't want to do is wreck the curls once they have started to form when my hair is sopping wet.

Also, in case it makes any difference I do use a small amount of leave in conditioner and then put curl creme on, scrunch and give it a few little sprays of glycerin & rosewater and scrunch again (which my hair seems to love at the moment) I do scrunch now and then while it's air drying and this hasn't yet created any frizz as I seem to have beaten the frizz! Yay!
I am aware the frizz may come back to an extent though with using a dryer..

But any advice or help would be appreciated as i feel like a novice using this new fangled gadget! :)

Suze2012
March 22nd, 2013, 05:08 AM
So, i just tried it and used the pixie curl method which i found on you tube.
It;s still quite wet...with a halo of frizz....I had forgotten what frizz even looks like...haha!

rtree721
March 22nd, 2013, 05:14 AM
I have no idea! But good luck! Sorry that the frizz came back.

Suze2012
March 22nd, 2013, 05:26 AM
Thanks! lol!

Hmmm...wonder what excuse i could give for taking it back......*thinks*

Bagginslover
March 22nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
Back when I permed, I used a diffuser dryer. I always got a frizzt halo if I used the method you described, but if I held the dryer with the diffuser downwards, and lifted the curls on my flat palms, it was vastly better. I would imagine it would be similar for natural curls. Hope that helps.

Suze2012
March 22nd, 2013, 06:18 AM
Back when I permed, I used a diffuser dryer. I always got a frizzt halo if I used the method you described, but if I held the dryer with the diffuser downwards, and lifted the curls on my flat palms, it was vastly better. I would imagine it would be similar for natural curls. Hope that helps.

I might try that
It's odd as the actual length didn't seem frizzed up but the top was appalling! I haven't seen anything that bad on me for ages!!!

.....I say 'was' as I thoroughly soaked it again.hoping it'll dry as normal...

Makes me wonder how on earth I used to sulphate shampoo it and blow dry it every day - and thinking back I always quit using the diffuser as it seemed to dry less frizzy without the darn thing! Haha!

Or..I could take it back and swap it for some cushions... *giggles*.

Suze2012
March 22nd, 2013, 09:25 AM
Impulsive maybe..but I knew I wouldn't use the dryer after my disasterous attempt...um...I now have a new weekend case...I swapped it at the shop!

I did explain exactly why I wanted to return the hair dryer and their reason for return code should be 'vain customer' Hehe!

But...I'm happy with my new case...and it's red! :0)