PDA

View Full Version : TangleTeaser, worth it?

GrowingOut
March 21st, 2013, 03:16 PM
My brush is going to be nearing it's end in a year or two, and I want to prep for a new one.

A lot of you girls, ((and guys!)), have referenced tangle teasers in your posts.

Is it worth it? What type do you recommend, and has it worked well for you?

Thank you!

*Also, how do you use them?

lydiajo
March 21st, 2013, 03:19 PM
I love mine. It's the only thing I use in my hair. DD and I both have the one that's shaped like a kidney bean. I'm planning on getting an extra on to leave at work.

GrowingOut
March 21st, 2013, 03:21 PM
Thank you! It's always good to hear reviews that aren't from the stores themselves.

Syaoransbear
March 21st, 2013, 03:22 PM
Absolutely, it's amazing. I have 3 now!

GrowingOut
March 21st, 2013, 03:24 PM
Of course you'd need three, if you had hair like the one in Tangled!

leslissocool
March 21st, 2013, 03:24 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9334&page=39&p=2410909#post2410909

That's the thread for it, so far it's worth every penny. My kid who detests brushing hair still hates it, but took me so little time to detangle her hair it's made a huge difference. I got told to get the compact and that's what I have.

After this month (took a pic of my ends) if it causes no splits at all (my hair rarely splits) I'll get even more.

GrowingOut
March 21st, 2013, 03:25 PM
Thank you for the link!

Long_hair_bear
March 21st, 2013, 03:25 PM
YES! Best brush ever! I start at my ends and work my way up. I bought the purple one at Sallys.

leslissocool
March 21st, 2013, 03:26 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9334&page=39&p=2410909#post2410909

That's the thread for it, so far it's worth every penny. My kid who detests brushing hair still hates it, but took me so little time to detangle her hair it's made a huge difference. I got told to get the compact and that's what I have.

After this month (took a pic of my ends) if it causes no splits at all (my hair rarely splits) I'll get even more.

starlamelissa
March 21st, 2013, 03:29 PM
I have a tangle tamer, a generic oval shaped tangle teezer, that I like lately to detangle post wash. It gets the scalp tangles OUT!

jacqueline101
March 21st, 2013, 03:36 PM
I like mine and I'm thinking about trying a detangling brush.

bunzfan
March 21st, 2013, 03:36 PM
Highly recommend them, i hardly get splits anymore and they glide through the hair, i have 2 i lost one and was very upset. You can get them cheaply on ebay.

Nae
March 21st, 2013, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't be without it. I have bought two for myself (and kiddos), I have one for my longhaired dog. I have convinced family members to buy one for my little 6 year old super tenderheaded cousin and when grandma had a stroke my family was so impressed with them that we bought her one for the nursing home. It has helped immensely with the tangles that comes from a lot of time in a bed.

I can't tell you enough how wonderful these things are. And they are fairly inexpensive. You can't really go wrong.

Yozhik
March 21st, 2013, 04:14 PM
Yes. :)

I was tempted to leave my post at that :p, but I'll add that I've had mine for 3ish years now, and it's the only brush I own. :)

Seeshami
March 21st, 2013, 04:39 PM
Absolutely. Even if your hair Hates it you can chase people with it, cats too. :)

millyaulait
March 21st, 2013, 04:46 PM
100% love it!

I actually only caved in and bought it very recently... but it's definitely one of the best hair-related purchases I've ever made. :)

Even my SO has converted & bought one of his own, and while they were on a 2-for-1 I got one for my cat, too. :p

TheMechaGinger
March 21st, 2013, 05:32 PM
I don't use anything but my tangle teezer now, I have two of them (the hot pink and the black) and they are worth every cent. Cut the amount of splits I get down to practically nothing, I haven't trimmed in about 8 months and my ends still look pretty fresh. It's one of those products where you look back and wondered how you ever got along without it before.

see_turtle
March 21st, 2013, 06:20 PM
I seem to be in a minority ( maybe it's me...?) but the tangle teaser does not work well for my hair.I have to force it through my fine hair and it feels like it's ripping it out....used it a few times and quit. I'll stick to my comb!

midbackorbust
March 21st, 2013, 06:49 PM
I had one but it pulled out a lot of my hair so I returned it :cry:
I guess nothing works for everyone...

akilina
March 21st, 2013, 07:15 PM
Its 7 dollars. I don't see it being the end of the world if you ended up not liking it. If you didnt you could always put it on the swap board.

I looove the thing. I dont even ever want to use a different brush.

Immera
March 21st, 2013, 07:18 PM
Yes. I've taken the back of mine, and I don't throw it nearly as much before. That was my main problem with it. I didn't like the hair bean or the tangle tamer as much. Neither were as effective.

ladyfey
March 21st, 2013, 07:33 PM
Yes! I will never go back to a brush, it is fantastic! I go from the ends up, just like with a brush.

ladyfey
March 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM
Oh, and if you didn't see the thread on fixing the dropping problem - a LHCer popped the back off, put a ponytail holder across the back and put the back on over it. So it creates a strap to put your hand through. I did it with a flat elastic hair tie and it is wonderful.

Anje
March 21st, 2013, 07:43 PM
Definitely worth it -- I love mine!

However, if you have a cat, you may need to get an extra unless you don't mind sharing. I can't brush my hair without one of mine begging me to comb his whiskers with it, and he doesn't do that with any other brush.

Oh, you'll want to ignore any of the rubbish instructions about starting at the top of your head instead of at the ends. If your hair is tangled, start detangling at the ends, period. It might work for shorter-haired folks, but LHCers tend to need to stick to best practices when it comes to brushing and combing.

AspenSong
March 21st, 2013, 08:37 PM
For me, it was $10 of the best money I've spent since re-growing my hair out. My hair can turn into tangle city in a moment, and it's just awesome at getting tangles out. Anytime I've had to use a brush for a moment, I've sorely missed my TT.

czech it out
March 21st, 2013, 08:46 PM
I seem to be in a minority ( maybe it's me...?) but the tangle teaser does not work well for my hair.I have to force it through my fine hair and it feels like it's ripping it out....used it a few times and quit. I'll stick to my comb!

Me too! Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. My hair is very fine and easily subject to mechanical damage. I like the tangle teezer if I'm in a hurry, but it does pull out and break my hair. I prefer my method of wide-tooth combing and working out knots with my hands.

Wildcat Diva
March 21st, 2013, 10:27 PM
I have five of them. Does that answer your question?

Kaelee
March 21st, 2013, 10:37 PM
YES! Best brush ever! I start at my ends and work my way up. I bought the purple one at Sallys.

Of course you have the purple one! ;)

I have the purple one too. I LOVE MINE! So much that I just ordered a compact one so that I can keep it in my purse/take it on trips/etc (which I wouldn't want to do with the full sized version, mostly because the full size does not have the protective cover.)

AnqeIicDemise
March 21st, 2013, 11:32 PM
Totally worth it. I've cut back on trims since I got my TT about a year ago. I've seen so much more growth because of it. Granted, I still have damage but that is not the TT's fault. That's jsut stuff that's growing out.

ETA: I love mine so much and I was too impatient to get the travel size, I got the hair bean. It takes a little longer to work with as the tines arent' as long, but I take it with me everywhere. Camping trips, over night stays.. work.

GoldenSilk
March 22nd, 2013, 12:38 AM
Yes! Worth every cent!

I have fine, fragile hair, and a Tangle Teezer is quite capable of breaking my hair, true. But I start from the ends and use it just as gently as I would a comb, stopping to finger detangle the worst snags. It's more likely to bend, so it doesn't rip my hair before I can react, the way a comb would. (I have very poor reflexes, heh.) And it distributes conditioner through my hair in the shower better than anything I've ever used.

It saves me at least 20 minutes each day over comb-and-fingers or fingers alone. I started carrying a bigger purse just so I could fit my Tangle Teezer in it... Going to invest in the compact in a few days, actually.

kittengirl
March 22nd, 2013, 12:45 AM
Yes, it's wonderful!

terpentyna
March 22nd, 2013, 01:26 AM
I love mine. I also see parents using them on kids at the pool, which makes a lot of sense, because it really is the most painless detangling tool.

Libbylou
March 22nd, 2013, 01:51 AM
Love it! I don't get too many tangles just love the way it feels on the scalp. I have bought them for step granddaughter who hates getting her hair brushed. Also bought one for a niece who hated getting her hair brushed as a child.

Sadie
March 22nd, 2013, 03:37 AM
I bought 2 (a regular and a compact) but haven't been using them regularly until I have seen a post from a LHCer with fine hair (can't remember her name) who, after a big chop due to thin ends, managed to grow nice tick locks by only combing her hair with TT.
I have been doing the same in the last few months and noticed that my hair is not splitting anymore... Could not figure out the reason why until reading this post.
I believe that it is all due to the amazing TT. :inlove:

oktobergoud
March 22nd, 2013, 04:03 AM
I love mine so I say: yes! :)

KittyBird
March 22nd, 2013, 04:36 AM
I loved mine in the beginning, but after a while it just didn't seem gentle enough. It caused breakage no matter how careful I was. I prefer my wooden comb :)

marykatz
March 22nd, 2013, 08:00 AM
It is ok on my hair but I do hear a snapping noise if I don't run it through very gently.
On one of my daughters, she gets matted knots in the back when I use it for a few days. I end up having to detangle with my fingers and work the mattes out. But it is the only brush they don't complain about so I think it is more gentle.
One problem I have is my little spikes get bent after a few months. I try to store it in a drawer backside up but sometimes I forget and toss it in a basket with my hair products. I am not sure if I should still use it once the tines are bent. I paid $12 USD for mine at a local CVS.

Suze2012
March 22nd, 2013, 09:50 AM
I don't have one and i don't use a comb nor a brush but if I needed either....I would resoundingly get one.

I have seen way too many great comments about them not too.

Why they work and make people so happy compared to a comb or any other brush is beyond me...but I haven't seen one used.

There must be something on you tube to show 'how to'

Beware though!!!!
You can mistake them for your PC mouse...and then t'interweb doesn't work quite so well....;)

Vrindi
March 22nd, 2013, 10:00 AM
I finally joined the Tangle Teezer cult, and I'm happy I did. Last week, I spent outside, in a windy canyon, with my hair down and getting stuck in every forest branch, filming a music video. Even my wide-tooth comb couldn't get through my fine, tangled hair, but the tangle teezer kept it looking nice. It passed the windy set test! I have the original one, and I want to get a compact one for camping and to keep in my purse. I got mine on amazon for $10. I think they're too pricey otherwise, but they work.

oktobergoud
March 22nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Beware though!!!!
You can mistake them for your PC mouse...and then t'interweb doesn't work quite so well....;)

:misskim: LOL

Mononoke
March 22nd, 2013, 10:02 AM
I really recommend on the tangle teezer! I have a classic one, and it works great - When I used either a brush or a comb some hairs would break no matter what, but with the tangle teezer there's no such problem as it detangles the hair perfectly.

shutterpillar
March 22nd, 2013, 10:02 AM
I have been using one for about 5 or so months now and I love mine. My daughter loves it too, because it is so gentle on her hair. (She gets some crazy tangles!)

Mandie
March 22nd, 2013, 10:18 AM
I still get breakage with the Teezer, but nowhere near what I was getting with a brush. I tend to be a little rough while brushing so I doubt the breakage is the Teezer's fault, and it's still helping to save me from myself. Thumbs up for it.