PDA

View Full Version : Need help with hair that is changing color by itself...

Chamy
March 21st, 2013, 11:26 AM
Hi ladies! I'm at a loss, i have so many questions that i have no answer to. So I'm begging you to help me with some of your visdom! http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/th_flowers.gif
I have searched the forums, but didn't find anything about this. If there is a thread, please feel free to redirect me. http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/smile1.gif

I have completely natural hair. Never colored/bleached/relaxed or anything like that, not even blowdryers or flat irons have touched my hair. I have used acv(1 part acv, 9 parts water) as a post-hairwash-rinse for almost three years, and over these years my hair has changed color from ashy blond/brown to a lot of red tones. It has looked good, but the difference between bottom and top of hair is really distinct when i wear it in a ponytail or a bun. So i want to go back to my true color, and i think i pinned the reason for the color change down to my use of acv after washes. Can that be correct?

Since a few months back i have switched to white wine vinegar, because i have heard that this is good for blonde hair. It doesn't color the hair? Have i heard right?

But the problem here is that the red tones hasn't gone away. Can the color form acv really attach to the hair that hard/permanent? Or is this all because of something else? If so, what could be the reason?

Im really at a loss, and would be really grateful for some insight. If someone have experienced the same thing, know where this is coming from. and if the color is permanent so that i will have to use chemicals to get it off?

I will summarize my questions for less confusion: http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/th_tongue.gif

1. Can the color-change be because of use of a acv-rinse post washes? If not, what could be the cause?
2. Is white wine vinegar a non coloring option for me if i want to go back to my natural ashy blonde?
3. Will i have to bleach my hair to get the color out, or will it come out by itself?

Thank you for reading this long post, hopefully you weren't too bored. http://www.untamedtresses.com/images/smilies/th_flowers.gif

NightOwl26
March 21st, 2013, 11:58 AM
I highly doubt the vinegar is permanently changing your hair color. And I don't think white wine vinegar rinse will correct the color. I've done a lot of research on natural ways to tint your hair. Beet juice~ I've read that even that washes out really quick and I'd think beets are more staining than a vinegar rinse. It could be natural highlights from the sun and maybe your hair lifts orangey/red a bit. . I heard here before that cassia and chamomile rinses add yellow tints to the hair. Don't bleach! :)

melusine963
March 21st, 2013, 12:16 PM
Do you live in an area with hard water? I remember a thread from last year in which another LHCer was discussing how hard water can turn blonde hair reddish in some cases. If this is the culprit, I'm not sure what to do other than getting a water filter for your shower, and perhaps using a chelating shampoo to get rid of some of the mineral build-up in your hair.

spidermom
March 21st, 2013, 12:21 PM
ACV caused red tones in my hair, but I don't remember how permanent it was. I'm not very impressed with vinegar in general, but when I use it, I use white vinegar. I accidently bought a soap-based shampoo awhile back, and vinegar rinses were essential with that stuff.

WaitingSoLong
March 21st, 2013, 12:32 PM
ACV put red in my hair, too. I am not sure if it is still there or not. I do have some red tones in my hair, but they could be natural. I was strawberry blonde as a baby.

On another note, I tried staining my hair with tea and it did not stay past one wash.

ghost
March 21st, 2013, 12:45 PM
This is just a guess, but if the ACV did deposit any color in your hair, it's probably just color that's sitting on top of your cuticle. I'm not sure that vinegar can penetrate all the way down to the cortex (where your hair color "lives") and permanently change the color of your hair, like a chemical dye would. It might have built up because you were using ACV consistently, but now that you're not using it anymore the reddish tones will probably start to fade over time.

woolyleprechaun
March 21st, 2013, 12:52 PM
Whatever it did, I really doubt its permanent. It try clarifying or chelating, as suggested above, and see what happens. It could be all manner of environmental factors that have caused this, as well as products. Please don't bleach, it seems to do diddly-squat for red tones (I'm very fair haired, with a slight strawberry tinge. Any kind of bleach results in peach hair, for me, simply because of the red present. Hence my henna :))

Chamy
March 21st, 2013, 01:54 PM
Do you live in an area with hard water? I remember a thread from last year in which another LHCer was discussing how hard water can turn blonde hair reddish in some cases. If this is the culprit, I'm not sure what to do other than getting a water filter for your shower, and perhaps using a chelating shampoo to get rid of some of the mineral build-up in your hair.

No, on the contrary, very soft water in my area. I will try clarifying, have never used a chelating schampoo, and never seen one in the stores either. Do you have a example on a brand or ingredient to look for?

ACV caused red tones in my hair, but I don't remember how permanent it was. I'm not very impressed with vinegar in general, but when I use it, I use white vinegar. I accidently bought a soap-based shampoo awhile back, and vinegar rinses were essential with that stuff.

Im addicted to it, it works very well with my hair. ACV and white gives me the same effect(softer silkier hair), so it doesn't matter if i have to switch to white.

This is just a guess, but if the ACV did deposit any color in your hair, it's probably just color that's sitting on top of your cuticle. I'm not sure that vinegar can penetrate all the way down to the cortex (where your hair color "lives") and permanently change the color of your hair, like a chemical dye would. It might have built up because you were using ACV consistently, but now that you're not using it anymore the reddish tones will probably start to fade over time.

Thank you for your input! No that seems unlikely, right? I will have to wait and see, so far nothing though. :(

Whatever it did, I really doubt its permanent. It try clarifying or chelating, as suggested above, and see what happens. It could be all manner of environmental factors that have caused this, as well as products. Please don't bleach, it seems to do diddly-squat for red tones (I'm very fair haired, with a slight strawberry tinge. Any kind of bleach results in peach hair, for me, simply because of the red present. Hence my henna :))

I dont think i will bleach it, i will definitely wait and see if the white vinegar does any difference first. Peach hair, that sounds pretty! :)

MiaBeth
March 21st, 2013, 02:13 PM
I've been using ACV rinses after shampooing as well, and it's tinting my hair reddish too (which I love, actually)! I was strawberry blonde as a kid, so perhaps if you have gold/red undertones, this brings them out? I wouldn't bleach to remove -- just try not using ACV for awhile and see what happens. Good luck!

lmfbs
March 21st, 2013, 02:29 PM
The colour is almost definitely from the ACV, and the permancy will depend on lots of factors - how light your hair is, the porosity of your hair, how long you used it etc.

It will fade over time, and I bet in a few months in the sun, you won't even notice it.

Libbylou
March 21st, 2013, 02:40 PM
You could go to the hair salon for a "Malibu" treatment. I used to have to have those when I got my hair permed, I know you can purchase it on Amazon as well. I can't stand the smell of ACV, I use citric acid, the same stuff that is used for canning, as a final rise occasionally. Just because your water is soft does not mean there are no minerals in it. We have well water and for years I thought our water was bad. We do have a water softener and it works very well. My son was doing a study in various waters and took a sample of our water in. It proved to be as pure as Aquafina.

catasa
March 21st, 2013, 02:47 PM
I agree with what most people said - the colour is almost certainly due to the ACV, and it will almost certainly fade :) I use ACV in a shampoo dilution and it makes my hair more reddish, but when I use a clarifying shampoo now and then it at least feels like the reddish tone fades. Canīt say for sure to which degree though since I use an organic hair colour that also add some reddish tint, but I find that my greys come out much more visible after clarifying...

Kherome
March 21st, 2013, 06:21 PM
No, on the contrary, very soft water in my area. I will try clarifying, have never used a chelating schampoo, and never seen one in the stores either. Do you have a example on a brand or ingredient to look for?

I like L'anza chelating shampoo.

alyaziaaah
March 21st, 2013, 06:39 PM
your dilution is to acidic. if you put one bottle cap of AVC into one liter of water you will get about the same PH as your hair, around 4.5 - 5.
one tenth ACV is waaaaaayyyyy to acidic, the hair starts to desintegrate with time. STOP please.
never use more than one bottle cap per liter. this solution you can keep in your hair, it closes the cuticle well. no need to wash out.
this acidity might well be the reason why hair becomes reddish on the older parts. brown, black hair i know has red undertones when bleached out.
sorry, more i dont know but this i know for sure. i have PH stripes so i tested it.:shrug:

catasa
March 22nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
I use Matrix Pro solutionist clarifying shampoo (I think it is named) and I think that is working fine. Itīs quite drying as most clarifiers are so some moisturizing treatment is recommended (or frankly necessary I think) afterwards.

ladonna
March 22nd, 2013, 11:59 AM
My grandmother liked the red tones in my hair. She always told me to use acv to bring out more red tones since that's what she did in her younger days. She had blond hair so it makes sense that the avc is the reason for the red tones in your hair too.

Naiadryade
March 22nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
On the original questions, I have nothing more to add that hasn't already been said multiple times. However...

I will try clarifying, have never used a chelating schampoo, and never seen one in the stores either. Do you have a example on a brand or ingredient to look for?

I recently learned by researching old threads on here that you can achieve chelation by doing a long heavy oiling with coconut oil, which is chelating of certain metals/minerals, wash that out, and then rinsing with club soda which removes mineral deposits such as calcium. I did this recently and it did seem to freshen up my hair and bring the wave back... plus the coconut oil is very moisturizing!

Peach hair, that sounds pretty! :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=111265
Check near the bottom of page 4 for the length pic. 'Nuff said.

Springlets
March 22nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
I've had problems in the past with getting red tints in my blonde hair too. Some of them might have been from hard water, some might have been from when I was on a carrot eating craze haha. In addition to switching to white vinegar as others have suggested, I say try a color correcting rinse. If you want to cancel out red tones, you need something green. If you have food dye, you could add a few drops to an SMT to make it green and put it on your hair for a few hours. Or maybe try a green tea rinse.

Lilli
March 23rd, 2013, 07:31 AM
Yes, it could turn your hair red. I use argan oil on my ends and it makes them reddish. Before I realized what was happening, the ends of my hair were copper! I removed the color by using John Frieda Sheer Blonde LIGHTENING shampoo for several weeks. It took out the red tones. Now I still use argan oil but I just use a chelating shampoo regularly and have no problem.

jacqueline101
March 23rd, 2013, 08:46 AM
I'd say it's not perminat and acv could cause it.

herdaughter77
March 23rd, 2013, 09:36 AM
I use acv and love it since it makes my hair manageable. It brought out the red tones in my hair, but personally, I like them.
In my ignorance, I would say that it's most definitely the acv and that it probably isn't permanent.
That's just my :twocents:

Sunshineliz
May 3rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Old thread I know, but I'd probably use a color correcting shampoo--blue to cancel out orange. They sell them and the purple shampoos at most stores, often for silver hair care.