PDA

View Full Version : Okay guys...be honest....how bad are my ends right now

nikkidondon
March 20th, 2013, 09:28 PM
I need you all to be honest with me....how bad do my ends look in comparison with my layers? I have very thick hair but obviously S&D hasn't been the best at showing it....what do I do...

:confused:
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a587/nikkidondon/130320-231454_zpsaee29d64.jpg

winship2
March 20th, 2013, 09:30 PM
I think perhaps you didn't post a picture? Or somehow I'm not seeing it on my Mac?

Edited to add: Oh, there it finally is. But still, the picture is quite grainy and I can't tell much about your ends. Can't see enough to give an opinion.

nikkidondon
March 20th, 2013, 09:31 PM
I had to edit it haha....did it work now? Sorry I'm new at this

Long_hair_bear
March 20th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Pic is too fuzzy..... I can't see your ends well.

jacqueline101
March 20th, 2013, 09:32 PM
I think they're ok.

nikkidondon
March 20th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Just the fact that they're significantly thinner than the rest is a problem though isn't it? Does it look strange?

Yozhik
March 20th, 2013, 09:35 PM
The photo you attached makes it somewhat difficult to gauge, but they look like standard FTE (fairy tale ends) to me. Quite pretty. :)

nikkidondon
March 20th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Thank you I wasn't sure that's what they were...does this mean it will be harder to grow because my hair isn't at my goal length yet and they're starting to fairy tale already?

kidari
March 20th, 2013, 10:02 PM
What kind of hemline do you have? If it's a deep V then that's normal. I thought my ends looked really thin and bad so I chopped off a fair amount more than twice and realized that it's just the hemline. The longest point is only in the middle so if you don't arrange your hair properly, it looks like it's fairytailing. I've had a deep V 2-3 inches shorter than now and it was the same way. I've also tried cutting it blunt 2-3 inches shorter and realized I didn't like the way my hair looked from the front and the way it fell, so now I'm okay with the way it tends to look uneven and thin in the back at the ends. It makes it easier to put up, minus the shorter layers sticking out, but that's another story. Anyhow, when it was blunt and almost all one length it was really really difficult to put in a bun even though I didn't have the problem with the bun making me look like Alfalfa with sprouts sticking out everywhere.

nikkidondon
March 20th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Yes my hemline is definitely a V shape..whenever I have let my hair grow for around 6 months at a time without a haircut my hair grows in that V shape..if that's what you mean :] Thank you for explaining that I understand now that's definitely what my hair is doing!

TheHowlingWolf
March 20th, 2013, 10:25 PM
I consider "bad" ends split, breaking, and dry beyond repair. If your ends soft and mostly split free I think you're fine!

kidari
March 21st, 2013, 04:14 AM
Yes my hemline is definitely a V shape..whenever I have let my hair grow for around 6 months at a time without a haircut my hair grows in that V shape..if that's what you mean :] Thank you for explaining that I understand now that's definitely what my hair is doing!

No problem! Sometimes, pictures are misleading because of the way the hair was styled or even arranged before it was taken. Even angles and lighting can be misleading. I agree with TheHowlingWolf that as long as the ends are soft and split-free there isn't a problem... I guess unless you really don't like the hemline? Don't be like me and chop off the ends only to find out the hard way lol.

UP Lisa
March 21st, 2013, 06:34 AM
I would say it depends on how you want it to look. I like a blunt hemline, but some people don't.

redtuss
March 21st, 2013, 06:39 AM
From the picture, which is a bit dark tho, I think your ends are really cute! :D

Khiwanean
March 21st, 2013, 09:02 AM
It's difficult to tell their condition from the picture, but they just look a little thin to me. I wouldn't worry about them unless they are really tangly or full of splits, unless you'd be happier with a thicker hemline. If you do want thicker ends, I'd just maintain your current length and wait for the rest of your hair to catch up.

Unofficial_Rose
March 21st, 2013, 09:09 AM
Personally, I would trim two inches to even up the thickness. It's a lovely texture and length!

SleepyTangles
March 21st, 2013, 09:28 AM
How are them to the touch :)? Dry and prone to split, or nice and soft? In the first case, I will trim a cm or two, but if they are still soft I'd maintain for a bit to even up everything.

But if you fear you were a bit too scissor-happy with S&D (like I tend to be :grnbiggri), or you want to get rid of some layers, maybe you'll prefer to trim and even up the hemline anyway...

spidermom
March 21st, 2013, 09:31 AM
Thank you I wasn't sure that's what they were...does this mean it will be harder to grow because my hair isn't at my goal length yet and they're starting to fairy tale already?

Not at all. FTEs will often form because some hairs grow faster than other hairs. Trimming helps to keep the ends thicker because it holds back those fastest-growing hairs so that slower-growing hairs can catch up.

Anje
March 21st, 2013, 09:52 AM
Well, if I were you I might trim a bit to thicken the hemline. But my hair gets sadly thin at the ends -- I've been maintaining roughly my current length for perhaps 4 years now to get my hemline decently thick, because I grew from shoulder to tailbone too quickly. You might be happy with the fairytale ends -- I tend to think they look better with strong waves or curls than with my straightish hair.

But the ends themselves? You'll have to post a picture where we can clearly see individual hairs if you want to know if they look damaged or not.

nikkidondon
March 21st, 2013, 10:38 AM
Okay thank you guys! I'm not sure what I prefer haha some days I look at my hair and don't like the thinner ends just because I'm used to having thicker hair...and other days I'm proud of the length and don't mind the wispy ends...I think I'm going to let them grow for a while and see what happens! Sorry for the picture, the lighting was not the best but it's interesting how I didn't even realize the difference of my wispy ends in comparison to the thickness of the rest of my hair until I took that picture! To answer some questions, my ends are not significantly damaged, I try to S&D regularly, but obviously I probably miss some occasionally. My ends don't seem to have much of a problem absorbing moisture so I'm assuming I don't need a trim unless I would like to even up the hemline which I'm not sure I do yet. It's hard for me to part with the length now that I've gotten this far and my goal is hip-length :/

Unicorn
March 21st, 2013, 02:57 PM
If you're referring only to the aesthetics, then your hair looks lovely. I actually really love the shape and hem line. It's certainly looks as if it's and intentional style. After that it's a matter of personal taste. I happen to love fairy tail ends. :) With the sort of taper you have, a smallish trim of an inch or less can make quite a difference if you want the hem to look thicker.

Unicorn