PDA

View Full Version : updos without twisting?

Kaelee
March 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I twist my hair daily to put it up...it's almost BSL and too thick to do anything braided as far as I know (my braid is very stubby with a long tassle). So far I use claw/octopus clips and ficcares, I oil my hair before I put it up with the octopus clip for work lately. Is twisting damaging to the hair? I'm usually sporting a flipped cinnamon bun held with a ficcare lately outside of work.

If it IS damaging what sort of things can I do? I can't even do a Lazy Wrap Bun yet, my hair is too thick and it unwinds instantly. :rolleyes:

neko_kawaii
March 20th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I have heard people with very fragile hair say that twisting is damaging for them. At my length I can do all the buns without twisting, but I think length is a major factor in that, and I do it because I find it to be looser and more comfortable. You could try doing the buns without twisting as much, but I don't think you need to worry about it.

Kaelee
March 20th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I have heard people with very fragile hair say that twisting is damaging for them. At my length I can do all the buns without twisting, but I think length is a major factor in that, and I do it because I find it to be looser and more comfortable. You could try doing the buns without twisting as much, but I don't think you need to worry about it.

I haven't noticed any damage YET that I can say is from twisting my hair, but I'm paranoid. ;D It never hurts to learn new things though!

melusine963
March 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM
When I want to give my (TBL) hair a break from cinnabun twisting, I usually go with either a nautilus bun, a knot bun, or an english braid folded up and pinned with a claw clip.

faellen
March 20th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I don't think twisting should cause you a problem unless your hair is fragile... I sometimes think we don't give hair enough credit for how strong it can be.

HylianGirl
March 20th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Have you tried the chinese bun? You devide the hair in wo parts to do it, so it should help with the thick hair, you don't really need to twist it either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUT3KJgASac

PrincessIdril
March 20th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I don't see how it would be that damaging, especially if you vary how much you twist it and where. Pretty much every hairstyle I do involves twisting and I don't see any damage (hell I wore my hair in a ponytail for years and I don't see any of the damage that many people here claim ponys cause!)

Hair is pretty strong, and unless you have done something to weaken it, like dye it, I don't see how twisting it would cause damage myself.

Wildcat Diva
March 20th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I am APL, ii ,and do a pencil bun most all the time now. It's simple and can take one stick or two, a flexi-8, and smaller forks. Kind of looks like a LWB to me, but those are looking wonky for me nowdays. (The part that is right where the ponytail would gather looks fat and thick, then the rest of the hair after that is not) A pencil bun still gives this same wrap effect, but the wonky aspect is not as pronounced on my hair, anyway, at this length.

kidari
March 20th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I twist my hair for most of my updos too. I always twist in the same direction as well. Recently I've been wearing my bun a little bit higher some days or to the side instead of centered or split it up into 2-3 cinnamon buns, twisting gently in a different direction than normal. I love a pencil bun but I'm not sure how well it will work for very thick hair. The lower the pencil bun, pretty much almost at the nape of my neck, the more comfortable I find it to be. You can also try grabbing smaller sections of hair and wrapping them around a finger like a pin curl before pinning them down in the shape that you want until all your hair is pinned in sections? A former classmate had thick virgin hair slightly past her hips and she always wore her hair the same way every single day (I only saw her hair down once). She wore it in a bun low on her head... I'm not sure what kind of bun it was since I've never seen one like that before but I think she actually ponytailed it first with a scrunchie and then twisted the length and secured that with a claw clip. Haha, I was obsessed with her hair and I saw the hair tie or scrunchie peeking out once (her updos were always messy and hastily done).

I just remembered, topknots/sock buns/etc. don't exactly require twisting and sock buns can be worn low, not always at the top of your head!

Anje
March 20th, 2013, 03:51 PM
For the time being, I'd just go with it. Just about all my updos that aren't braided get at least a loose twist to keep the hair together. As long as you aren't twisting to scalp-pulling-tight, facelift-bun proportions, you're probably OK.

You'll eventually grow to the point where you can do a looser twist or a braid if you wish. But when growing, you tend to have to suffer through the stages that lead to those points, just like the only-ponytails stage and the have-to-use-bobby-pins stage. Those might be a smidge less hair-friendly, but you aren't stuck there forever.