PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring hair virgin!

pariate
August 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM
My eventual goal is to grow to waist and then maintain until aaaaaaall that hair is virgin :D I haven't put a blowfryer or anything of that sort near my hair since... um... last autumn? So about a year. I've never dyed my hair or had it processed (perming, relaxing etc). If I grow my hair out that way will it count as virgin hair? And is anyone else aiming for this or is it just a secondary benefit to having loooooong hair?!

trolleypup
August 27th, 2008, 08:48 AM
My eventual goal is to grow to waist and then maintain until aaaaaaall that hair is virgin :D I haven't put a blowfryer or anything of that sort near my hair since... um... last autumn? So about a year. I've never dyed my hair or had it processed (perming, relaxing etc). If I grow my hair out that way will it count as virgin hair? And is anyone else aiming for this or is it just a secondary benefit to having loooooong hair?!
I think it is reasonable to call it virgin if no hair on the head has been treated. Honestly, virgin hair is your own call, since the definition can vary so much.

It isn't a goal of mine, just a property.

anna1850
August 27th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I haven't blow-dried or straightened regularly for about 3 years and the last time I had it heat straightened at all was a year and a half ago, but to be honest, I can't really tell the difference between my virgin and non-virgin hair and I tend to consider it all as virgin even though the ends are not techincally.

Basically, I think there is a huge difference between non-virgin hair which is only slightly abused and permed/bleached/straightened to hell and back non-virgin hair. So for me I think eventually I'll get rid of whatever little damage there is, but I probably won't notice and it's very much secondary for me.

pariate
August 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM
...but to be honest, I can't really tell the difference between my virgin and non-virgin hair and I tend to consider it all as virgin even though the ends are not techincally.

Basically, I think there is a huge difference between non-virgin hair which is only slightly abused and permed/bleached/straightened to hell and back non-virgin hair. So for me I think eventually I'll get rid of whatever little damage there is, but I probably won't notice and it's very much secondary for me.

:cry: I was naively hoping that having virgin ends would make them feel better! :lol: Oh well. Maybe that's not the case since I've never done that stuff to my hair. The ends seem so damaged somtimes but maybe I just have coarse hair after all :?

anna1850
August 27th, 2008, 09:07 AM
:cry: I was naively hoping that having virgin ends would make them feel better! :lol: Oh well. Maybe that's not the case since I've never done that stuff to my hair. The ends seem so damaged somtimes but maybe I just have coarse hair after all :?

Well, it might make a difference, I don't know how damaged the non-virgin part of your hair is. But I do know lots of people have problems with 'velcro ends' anyway even if they have virgin hair.

My ends feel slightly drier than the rest of my hair sometimes but I think this is just because they're the ends so they are older and they are more easily damaged.

I haven't trimmed since last January though so mine are quite old but I'm not too bothered since they are not too dry or split. I think if the ends bother you a lot you can try doing micro-trims so you always have fresh ends.

Silver & Gold
August 27th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I am working toward long and virgin hair because the difference between my processed hair and virgin hair is apparent due to color variation. Fortunately there is no strong line, just a gradual fade of silver hair to slightly more golden. I used to use semi-permanent hair color but even semi-permanent doesn't truly fade out all the way, at least, if it does it takes a very long time to do so.
On top of that the cassia treatments I used really made my hair golden. So now I'm trying to wash the golden from cassia out of my silver hairs. For all the people who want the golden color from cassia and can't get it, I more than make up for it. Not only did I get a lot of golden but it is proving to be just as difficult to wash from my hair as semi-permanent hair dye.
So my goal is virgin, not just for the condition, but to have my silver hair be silver all the way to the ends. Then I guess I'll have to change my name, won't I?

detritus
August 27th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Yep! My primary goal is virgin hair. Long hair is actually my secondary goal. I started perming and dyeing my hair when I was only 12 or 13 and only stopped last year. So as much as I want long hair, a much larger reason I am here is to learn how to love and take care of my hair instead of trying to change what my hair is. I haven't really gained any length since being at LHC, but the quality of my hair has drastically improved and I only have 2-3 inches of henna left!

pariate
August 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM
So my goal is virgin, not just for the condition, but to have my silver hair be silver all the way to the ends. Then I guess I'll have to change my name, won't I?

Sure, you could upgrade to Platinum! ;) :cheese:

Silver & Gold
August 27th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Sure, you could upgrade to Platinum! ;) :cheese:

Platinum?!? I LOVE that idea!

pariate
August 27th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Platinum?!? I LOVE that idea!

I live to serve :bow:

chrissy-b
August 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Ideally, I'd like to have virgin hair. I haven't dyed my hair since...um, last Oct or Nov and I'm planning on cutting the dyed ends off slowly once I reach waist. But I do love what cassia does for my hair so I don't know if I can give that up or not. We'll have to see...

pariate
August 29th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I've used cassia a few times but it never occurred to me that would have a bearing on virgin status :? Although I did know it could add colour to very light hair, so I should have figured that one out! :lol:

Silver & Gold
August 29th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I've used cassia a few times but it never occurred to me that would have a bearing on virgin status :? Although I did know it could add colour to very light hair, so I should have figured that one out! :lol:

I know, who woulda thunk it? As far as damage is concerned I can still consider the hair treated with cassia as virgin, but when it come to the color, cassia left it's mark on me.

I've tried several ways to remove the cassia color from my hair. Honey treatments, more frequent shampooing, even harsh shampoos that only left my hair very annoyed with me.

My hair is very, very upset with me right now because I tried something so gawdawful to get the color out that I won't even mention it here, it would be total sacrilege. I would probably be tarred, feathered and banned for life. But none of you need to scold me, my hair is doing a fine job of telling me off all on it's own.

I've been trying to make peace with it by doing some SMT, CO washes, nightly moisture and oil treatments. Slowly, slowly my hair is being appeased but my hair is mighty unforgiving once I tick it off. I've decided to concentrate only on keeping my hair conditioned and happy and ignore the fade into gold on my lovely silver locks. Either the color will fade out gradually or it won't. But i would rather have the golden color than have the angry, frizzy hair I've been coping with for the past week or so.

rhubarbarin
August 29th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Oooh me!

I'm kind of obsessed with having virgin hair. I spent years coating my hair with dimethicone and never washing it out - cue major breakage. Then right before I found LHC I put Sun-In in it.. INSANE breakage (and only in spots, my hair is very uneven).

It's a mess.

Anyway I only have about 5-6 inches of nice, thick, shiny virgin growth. Most of the rest of my hair is very broken, thin and frazzled. I have a looooong way to go. I'm just getting back to BSL now after a major haircut a few months ago.. I'm trying to hold off on trimming until January. I plan to grow to WL and maintain there for however many years it takes me to get 100% healthy hair..

sipnsun
August 29th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I started chemically processing my hair around 3rd grade. It started with perms, then color, then bleach, so I didn't even know what my natural hair color was much less the texture. When I joined LHC last Aug., I decided that I wanted long, virgin hair for once in my life. My virgin hair feels so different (wonderful) from my fried ends, I don't think that I'll ever treat my hair that way again.

Btw, I would still consider your hair virgin because cassia is used as a conditioning treatment in a lot of cases. Most people report that it improves their hair condition.

detritus
August 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I know, who woulda thunk it? As far as damage is concerned I can still consider the hair treated with cassia as virgin, but when it come to the color, cassia left it's mark on me.

I've tried several ways to remove the cassia color from my hair. Honey treatments, more frequent shampooing, even harsh shampoos that only left my hair very annoyed with me.

My hair is very, very upset with me right now because I tried something so gawdawful to get the color out that I won't even mention it here, it would be total sacrilege. I would probably be tarred, feathered and banned for life. But none of you need to scold me, my hair is doing a fine job of telling me off all on it's own.

I've been trying to make peace with it by doing some SMT, CO washes, nightly moisture and oil treatments. Slowly, slowly my hair is being appeased but my hair is mighty unforgiving once I tick it off. I've decided to concentrate only on keeping my hair conditioned and happy and ignore the fade into gold on my lovely silver locks. Either the color will fade out gradually or it won't. But i would rather have the golden color than have the angry, frizzy hair I've been coping with for the past week or so.

Have you tried aritha (soapnuts) or baking soda washes? I recently tried washing with aritha powder and it did a terrible job of cleaning my hair but did pull out a lot of the brassiness cassia left me with. I also tried baking soda washes (1 tablespoon dissolved in a cup of water) and that did a nicer job of cleaning my hair and also pull out some yellow. I hadn't realized how much yellow had built up from the cassia until I tried those two washing methods and saw how ashy my hair looked in comparison.

I'm doing cassia much less frequently now to avoid color change, but I plan on washing occasionally with baking soda to pull that color out. The aritha seemed to pull out slightly more color (but I also tried it first, so maybe that just seems to be the case)---but it smells like vomit and makes my hair look stringy and gross. So if baking soda doesn't work you may or may not want to give it a try.

Silver & Gold
August 31st, 2008, 02:31 PM
Have you tried aritha (soapnuts) or baking soda washes? I recently tried washing with aritha powder and it did a terrible job of cleaning my hair but did pull out a lot of the brassiness cassia left me with. I also tried baking soda washes (1 tablespoon dissolved in a cup of water) and that did a nicer job of cleaning my hair and also pull out some yellow. I hadn't realized how much yellow had built up from the cassia until I tried those two washing methods and saw how ashy my hair looked in comparison.

I'm doing cassia much less frequently now to avoid color change, but I plan on washing occasionally with baking soda to pull that color out. The aritha seemed to pull out slightly more color (but I also tried it first, so maybe that just seems to be the case)---but it smells like vomit and makes my hair look stringy and gross. So if baking soda doesn't work you may or may not want to give it a try.

I did try baking soda but I think my hair just really loves to hold onto any color molecules that come it's way. Baking soda just seems to dry my hair. I've not tried aritha - but the attractive smell of vomit does sound like a compelling reason to try it. I've kinda resigned myself to a gradual fade. I think as time goes by it fades bit by bit, at least I don't have a strong demarkation line.

detritus
August 31st, 2008, 03:32 PM
I did try baking soda but I think my hair just really loves to hold onto any color molecules that come it's way. Baking soda just seems to dry my hair. I've not tried aritha - but the attractive smell of vomit does sound like a compelling reason to try it. I've kinda resigned myself to a gradual fade. I think as time goes by it fades bit by bit, at least I don't have a strong demarkation line.

You mean vomit doesn't smell good to you? ;) I completely understand reaching a point of not wanting to try anything else, just thought I'd throw a couple more ideas your way.

catekat
August 31st, 2008, 03:48 PM
Wow... I never really thought about virgin hair before. I have a new goal!

I haven't dyed my hair since sixth grade (heh.. 16 now :P), so the my hair could be considered virgin in that respect. Funny story actual. I used way too much sun-in and my deep chocolate hair turned orange. I had to dye it back to my original color.

I used to straighten my hair nearly every day a few years ago, but now I hardly ever do it at all. I'll stop altogether now.

Electronika
August 31st, 2008, 07:24 PM
I am doing this as well and I have for 2 years already.
It is not tough because when I feel my hair it feels so great, and that inspires me to keep up the good work!

Carina
August 31st, 2008, 09:39 PM
My hair is all virgin now.I cut off 10 inches of dry bleached hair on august 22nd.I was a little below bsl.But now I can forget about trims for a year or so.But I do miss my long braid and my hairsticks.My current length is in my avatar.