PDA

View Full Version : Bunning at night with hair screws?

winship2
March 18th, 2013, 09:33 PM
My hair is long enough now (a bit past BSL) that I'm thinking of bunning rather than braiding at night. I often have my hair up in hair screws during the day. Do folks here think that would be OK overnight, or might they become damaging?

kittengirl
March 18th, 2013, 09:47 PM
I did it last night for the first time...my hair seemed nicer this morning. I think I'll mix it up with braiding though...my hair gets messy in braids but I like to change it up now and then. I'll be eager to hear what others have to say.

winship2
March 18th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I'm sure mixing methods is in general a very good idea.

AspenSong
March 18th, 2013, 10:04 PM
I would think it depends on how you sleep. If I did mine like that, I'm sure I'd end up with a tangled, crazy mess somehow in the morning. I bunned and braided at night for a while and with my hair type, it wasn't ever great in the morning.
Wrapping my hair in a loose, low bun and putting a sating sleep cap on and letting my hair fall into it, works wonders for me personally. But I think if you are a less active sleeper, have different hair...I don't see why it may not work well!

gossamer
March 18th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I've done it a couple of times. Not sure how damaging it might be, but if the bun is loose enough they might not pull on anything too much.

melusine963
March 19th, 2013, 12:31 AM
I've worn my spin pins overnight a few times when I've been too tired to un-bun and braid for bed. They stay in place quite happily, but my hair is always a bit tanglier than it would have been if I'd braided it properly. I'm not sure why your BSL hair would be too long to braid. Mine is TBL and it works just fine.

schweedie
March 19th, 2013, 12:55 AM
If I bun my hair for bed I always use my hair screws, and it's always been fine. :) For it to be comfortable I need to either manage to make a very flat cinnabun, which for some reason I can't always do, or do the bun very high on my head.

Rosethorn
March 19th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Sadly, whenever I try this I wake up with an awful headache. I want to experiment more with it though, because it's all kinds of convenient. Maybe if I did a big flat cinibun?

jacqueline101
March 19th, 2013, 02:34 AM
I'd be afraid the spin pins would become uncomfortable.

Quixii
March 19th, 2013, 02:39 AM
I usually use spin pins during the day and just leave them in at night, and I've never noticed a problem.

torrilin
March 19th, 2013, 06:47 AM
If I'm doing a sleep bun it's either a top of the head bun or a very flat one. Spin pins, tiny claw clips, and metal forks all work for me to sleep in. For me Gibraltars and Celtic knots are about the easiest sleep buns since they're not really inclined to succumb to slithering fine hair. I prefer a braid (or two!) to sleep in tho. It's more secure.

winship2
March 19th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I've worn my spin pins overnight a few times when I've been too tired to un-bun and braid for bed. They stay in place quite happily, but my hair is always a bit tanglier than it would have been if I'd braided it properly. I'm not sure why your BSL hair would be too long to braid. Mine is TBL and it works just fine.

I didn't say it's too long to braid, just that at this length I'm thinking of bunning rather than braiding. I thought it might be more ends-protective. However, after a night of sleeping on spin pins, my hair is in a messy bun at the base of my neck. I think it's back to braiding for me :) Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Cirafly24
March 19th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Wrapping my hair in a loose, low bun and putting a sating sleep cap on and letting my hair fall into it, works wonders for me personally.

That's exactly what I do with my hair to sleep! :D Low, loose beebutt bun (or whatever bun I wore that day with the hairstick taken out), then satin sleep cap, shake slightly to let the hair fall into the bottom of the cap. Works like a charm. However, I have to be careful to take it out and detangle the next day...I found out the hard way that leaving it in the sleep cap all night and then all day (and all night and all day again lol) will leave me with a tangled mess.

neko_kawaii
March 19th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I didn't say it's too long to braid, just that at this length I'm thinking of bunning rather than braiding. I thought it might be more ends-protective. However, after a night of sleeping on spin pins, my hair is in a messy bun at the base of my neck. I think it's back to braiding for me :) Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Bunning or a sleep cap at night is more protective of ends than a braid secured with a band. You could try other ways of securing the end of your braid. Some ideas I've heard and tried are:

Mini claw clips: Yes, they are lumpy and you wake up having slept on top of it but it wasn't any more of a hassle to move than waking up with your braid in an awkward position.
Wrap a short section of ribbon around the braid and put the rubber band over it.
Use soft poofy bands.
Make soft poofy bands from cut socks.
Make bands from cut nylons.

It took me about a week of sleeping in a bun secured with spin pins to find a way that worked well for me. I make the bun as high up as I can (without turning upside down to start it because my scalp hates top knots, but try it that way if you have a less sensitive scalp) and make a cinnamon bun without twisting and pressing each coil down so that the whole bun ends up being very flat. Secure with spin pins. In the morning it is always quite loose but stays put as a bun. Sometimes if I wake up at night and find that the bun has loosened so that it is between my had and the pillow I will push it up so it is out of the way and can fall back asleep.

For me, if I wear a bun during the day and at night I am more likely to experience scalp ache and end up having to undo a hairdo during the day and make a braid instead.

longNred
March 19th, 2013, 06:24 PM
I bun mine a lot for bed, and I use spin pins. I just put the bun as high up as I can, and use the short screws. I find the shorties are much more comfortable for bed. My only problem is I don't want to put it in a bun or really up too much the following day, as if my scalp has had enough of hairs going in the upward direction.

long&blonde
March 19th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I find a high, top of my head, spin pinned bun very comfortable to sleep in.
I second Jenna in that, don't get tempted to then leave that same bun in another day,
And another day,
It ends up actually looking fine,
Pretty wisps falling out,
But omg the tangles when you finally take it down.
I find high spin pinned buns excellent to sleep in one night,
Being sure to take down and detangle/re-do,
When waking up.
Learned that from experience. Lol.

lapushka
March 19th, 2013, 08:11 PM
My hair is long enough now (a bit past BSL) that I'm thinking of bunning rather than braiding at night. I often have my hair up in hair screws during the day. Do folks here think that would be OK overnight, or might they become damaging?

I'd not put it in a tight bun, and the bun will be tight if you use spin pins. Also, you move during the night. Anything that's tight on your head while you move (and can't move along with you) will cause friction, therefore will cause breakage, and the breakage might even be right at the root.

winship2
March 19th, 2013, 08:54 PM
I'd not put it in a tight bun, and the bun will be tight if you use spin pins. Also, you move during the night. Anything that's tight on your head while you move (and can't move along with you) will cause friction, therefore will cause breakage, and the breakage might even be right at the root.

Ohhh, breakage at the root!! *shivers* I think I'll stay braided for a while. I can't imagine what happened to my bun last night would be better than braiding-- but that's my slippery straight hair.

HintOfMint
March 19th, 2013, 11:14 PM
That's my go-to sleep style: cinnabun on top of my head held with spin pins.

ETA: you don't have to do it tightly. That's actually the benefit of spin pins, you can do a loose bun that's not tightly twisted against your head and still have it hold just fine. And I notice more damage from sleeping with it loose than when I regularly tie it up. Loose hair gets friction just as much as tied-up hair, only loose hair has the freedom to get all tangled up in itself.

teal
March 20th, 2013, 12:42 AM
I bun my hair on top of my head with spin pins all the time for sleeping. It's the best option for me at the moment. If you find you get damage or breakage at the back, consider a satin pillowcase. Personally I can't leave my hair loose or even in a long braid at night... those ways, my hair interferes with my sleep.