PDA

View Full Version : So I let my mom trim my hair today...

HylianGirl
March 18th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I have always let her do it, specially 'cause she does it just like I tell her to. But she thinks that my hair is "way too long", and although she didn't hack it off, (she only cut an inch, like a told her to) she did put a layer on it before I could stop her ;-;

I tried telling her that I did not want layers, but she cut one on the right side of my face, like a "face framing one". But it seems like she didn't undertand what "no layers" means. She said I had no fringe, and my hair has no cut if the front section (aka fringe) is the same length as the rest. I tried telling her that I wanted all one length, but she thinks it doesn't make sense and that "all one length" meant "all one length in the back and a shorter frace framing one on the front".

I stopped her from doing the other side, and I'll just wear my hair parted to the left. It's not so noticeable, but it took me so long to grow all my layers I'm a bit upset.

I almost trimmed my hair myself, but I've always trusted my mom to do it for me, and I thought, "why not?". I didn't really wanted to because I was so close to waist, but I just wanted to get a more even hemline, now I have a stupid short piece about chin length x.x

Mesmerise
March 18th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Hmm I guess sometimes even mothers don't understand! When I was a kid (late 70s early 80s) I always admired the girls with super blunt cuts. My mum always used to ask the hairdresser to "shape" mine, which meant that it curved up the front a bit. I hated it!! I wanted it BLUNT... STRAIGHT ACROSS THE BACK!! When I was a little older I used to describe to hairdressers in intricate detail what I wanted (cause apparently "straight across the back" is a really difficult concept to get).

Last time I went to the hairdressers for a trim (a little over two years ago now) I was very specific in how much I wanted off. The hairdresser kept asking me if I wanted layers... I kept saying "No". How hard is it to get?! At least it was at a cut only salon so they couldn't try and convince me to have it dried or coloured!!

Now I cut my own hair! Yes, it's easier to get someone else to do it, but honestly I can't be bothered having to argue with someone to JUST trim off the bottom a bit!

HylianGirl
March 18th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Hmm I guess sometimes even mothers don't understand! When I was a kid (late 70s early 80s) I always admired the girls with super blunt cuts. My mum always used to ask the hairdresser to "shape" mine, which meant that it curved up the front a bit. I hated it!! I wanted it BLUNT... STRAIGHT ACROSS THE BACK!! When I was a little older I used to describe to hairdressers in intricate detail what I wanted (cause apparently "straight across the back" is a really difficult concept to get).

Last time I went to the hairdressers for a trim (a little over two years ago now) I was very specific in how much I wanted off. The hairdresser kept asking me if I wanted layers... I kept saying "No". How hard is it to get?! At least it was at a cut only salon so they couldn't try and convince me to have it dried or coloured!!

Now I cut my own hair! Yes, it's easier to get someone else to do it, but honestly I can't be bothered having to argue with someone to JUST trim off the bottom a bit!

Oh, I totally know what you mean, I have many times asked for hairdressers to make a blunt cut on my hair, and they always left it a bit shorter on the front, I only managed to grow the layers because last time I had cut my hair (except for today) was on december 2011, and since then I had only S&D'ed wich made my hair grow as it wanted to. I'll cut it myself next time using Faye's method. Why don't people understand what a blunt cut mean?

jacqueline101
March 18th, 2013, 08:34 PM
I think people interpret things differently. It might be the generation gap she thinks it means one thing when it means another.

Kaelee
March 18th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I think she understood perfectly and just saw an opportunity to do what she wanted with your hair. :shrug:

I cut my own hair, using Feye's method...it's actually much less fuss than going to a hairdresser or having someone else do it! Takes all of 15 minutes, and I can do it at my leisure instead of having to make time to go to the salon or have someone else do it. I also trim my own side bangs (but I need some improvement there LOL. They come out acceptable, not great.)

marykatz
March 18th, 2013, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't be upset with your mom, probably a misunderstanding. I had a misunderstanding at the beauty parlor and I was paying for that cut! I told her to trim the ends and the face frame. She thought I meant cut a face frame, but I meant trim the existing, grown out one the same way as the back. So after she cut around the face, she cut a lot off the back to blend into the frame. I said "oh my that is short, I am trying to grow it long" and she said "if you want it long, you have to stop getting a face frame" :doh:

I see how I confused her, she probably didn't even realize that I used to have a face frame that had grown out . So these misunderstandings happen.

HylianGirl
March 19th, 2013, 01:25 PM
My mom has always had short hair, so she doesn't know much about long hair (and her definition of long hair is shoulder length). I was more upset at growing that face framing layer than at her per se, I don't think she ment harm, and the back is nice.

RavenBaby
March 19th, 2013, 02:22 PM
This is why I get a professional to cut my hair cause if she cuts too much I can complain and it'll mean something :P (wouldn't happen though since I go to the same trusted one each time, touch wood.)

WaitingSoLong
March 19th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Blunt cut to some means...no layers. It has nothing to do with the shape of your hemline. Do hairdressers use the term "hemline"? I have never heard it anywhere but here (or in regard clothes).

LadyLongLocks
March 19th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Wow I am really sorry this happened! Learn to self trim. I learned after I lost 8" when I wanted a 3" trim and a family member kept cutting to make it even. A hard lesson for us and worse when you live with the person who made the mistake!

Todd
March 25th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I always admired the girls with super blunt cuts... I wanted it BLUNT... STRAIGHT ACROSS THE BACK!! When I was a little older I used to describe to hairdressers in intricate detail what I wanted (cause apparently "straight across the back" is a really difficult concept to get).

Ha ha I know the frustration! Imagine the difficulty in getting that cut as a GUY! I finally adopted my mom's name for that hairstyle - its my "nine-year-old-girl's cut". Straight across the back. As straight as, well, as a straightedge.

akilina
March 25th, 2013, 08:05 PM
What is.... "putting A layer" in supposed to mean?????

Im a hairdresser and I never understand when people try to count their layers. Its impossible unless you want to pick up a section of hair like it was cut and literally count every single hair. With layers, its a difference in length in every single strand of hair...... The only way you could have A LAYER is if you literally picked up a part of your length, and did a blunt cut. That would be. One. Layer.

Im not meaning to sound rude but it SERIOUSLY perplexes me when people on this website say "a layer" or "2 or 3 layers" it truly, makes no sense to me and I wish someone would explain why they say this.

kidari
March 25th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you... if she only got one side, I would even it out to the other side if I were you though. At least that way you have a balanced cut and it would look cool as it grows out most likely. This reminds me of the time when my hair was a dark blonde that I maintained painstakingly for years and then I decided to try my mom's hairdresser because I decided to go auburn and wanted something cheaper to maintain. Also, my mom's hairdresser's prices were lower overall anyhow. At first she dyed my hair auburn like I asked. So when it was time to do my roots apparently my mom had had a conversation with her to not listen to me and dye it back to dark brown, my natural color. I had no idea she was going to do this because my mom told her to. I feel bad for her on account of how upset I got over it. I knew after all my hair was dyed nearly back, there was no way I could bleach out that color on hair that was already bleached within an inch of its life so I was stuck with dark hair for years now. Looking back, I'm glad that happened. My mom was right and I'm really glad that I didn't show exactly how upset I was at the hairdresser.

Herb
March 25th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Uh oh! In twenty minutes here, my mom is going to trim my hair. I asked for an inch and she agreed to that, but she thinks at least four should go. Maybe I shouldn't trust her? D:

Mesmerise
March 25th, 2013, 09:31 PM
What is.... "putting A layer" in supposed to mean?????

Im a hairdresser and I never understand when people try to count their layers. Its impossible unless you want to pick up a section of hair like it was cut and literally count every single hair. With layers, its a difference in length in every single strand of hair...... The only way you could have A LAYER is if you literally picked up a part of your length, and did a blunt cut. That would be. One. Layer.

Im not meaning to sound rude but it SERIOUSLY perplexes me when people on this website say "a layer" or "2 or 3 layers" it truly, makes no sense to me and I wish someone would explain why they say this.

I guess as a non-hairdresser myself, I would see A layer as a single layer shorter than the rest of the hair. So I guess... if you had a blunt cut, and you separated a section of hair from the top, and cut that shorter than the longest hair, you'd have a single layer!

Kaelee
March 25th, 2013, 09:51 PM
When someone says "a face framing layer" I always think of "long side bangs" like I have.

akilina
March 26th, 2013, 12:40 AM
I guess as a non-hairdresser myself, I would see A layer as a single layer shorter than the rest of the hair. So I guess... if you had a blunt cut, and you separated a section of hair from the top, and cut that shorter than the longest hair, you'd have a single layer!

Thats what I think of too...But I guess I don't get why anyone would ever do that. And the biggest thing for me is...... that sure as heck is not how layers are created when they are cut in the chair. (I mean..hopefully not lol if someone did layers like this on all clients, it would be a wonder how they ever even graduated school or got their license).

I have never had anyone tell me "I want one layer" but once. It was a hispanic woman and she literally wanted mushroom head. It was literally...One...layer. -_- sigh cut around the bottom of the ear area..It literally took a half hour of even trying to understand what she was understanding. One because of my confusion of wanting one layer, and language barrier. She was happy as ever, but still I do think it was probably a once in a career thing for me.

However, I still don't get it though. It even perplexes me when people say the term "Face framing layers" but I can at least understand what they are trying to say. I try to get past it, but its so ridiculous when people say "oh yeah I only have one or two layers" and that is not what they really mean. I know its not a big deal, just a pet peeve.

Sham
March 26th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Ahh mums always think they know best! (Mine does, anyway!) I've just started triming my own hair to save me money, using Feye's method is really easy!

woolyleprechaun
March 26th, 2013, 03:39 AM
Oh dear! Perhaps next time you could try Feyes Self Trim? I haven't let anyone else near my hair since I learned how to self trim :) I'm sure your chin bit will grow and blend in in no time at all.