PDA

View Full Version : Comb With Or Without A Handle

UP Lisa
March 18th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I am about to purchase a wood comb. Can't decide whether to get one with or without a handle. Which do you prefer?

RavenBaby
March 18th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I prefer a handle, partly because I'm used to handles on all my hair combs/brushes. I think it's easier to see what your brushes in front of a mirror and maybe easier to not brush too hard on fragile hair sections.

GrowingGlory
March 18th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Handles make tools easier and more comfortable for me to use.

Suze2012
March 18th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I have a fringe and it's the only part of m hair that I comb.
I have two combs...the one with the handle is best s I can see what I'm doing.

minxe
March 18th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Without feels more natural to me.

UP Lisa
March 18th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Well, so far I'm leaning toward a handle, I guess.............

Chromis
March 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I prefer without. Gives me more control and less leverage (so I am less likely to try pulling it through and stop right away when I hit a tangle)

spirals
March 18th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I really need a handle. But then, carpal tunnel may have something to do with that. Grasping anything with the thumb and fingers exascerbates it.

rowie
March 18th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Without a handle is what I prefer because I can control my pull. If I had a handle I'd be bad and just comb through the tangles, gives me shivers because I can hear the snap, crackle, and popping sounds! Plus I own the Body Shop wooden comb and two of the Madora George Michael combs and they all don't have handles, so I don't know if that says anything.

ouseljay
March 18th, 2013, 03:15 PM
I ended up with a comb without a handle after thinking I would prefer having a handle. I can't really say that I prefer it that way since I don't have a handled one to compare it to, but I can say that I like it just fine without. I end up holding my comb between the heel of my hand and my fingertips.

see_turtle
March 18th, 2013, 03:23 PM
mine is without! works fine!

Quixii
March 18th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I prefer a handle. I'd say about half the time I end up gripping the part without a handle, but I like having the option either way.

jacqueline101
March 18th, 2013, 04:25 PM
My comb doesn't have a handle. I use a rat tail on my fringe to do the part.

Kelli Kat
March 18th, 2013, 04:55 PM
My widetooth wooden comb doesn't have a handle and its perfect for me. I have two narrowtooth combs one with and one without a handle and I prefer the one with the handle. I don't know why the tooth width makes a difference for me but it does.

EdG
March 18th, 2013, 06:52 PM
I don't think I have ever used a comb with a handle.

I want the biggest combs possible... which seem to be all tines and no handles. :D
Ed

PraiseCheeses
March 18th, 2013, 07:23 PM
With a handle for me. I tend to hold my combs very loosely so if there is a tangle, my hand keeps moving but the comb stops. (My hair is very fine, so I have to be as gentle as possible.) When using combs without handles, this would make me drop the combs and led to more broken horn combs than I care to think about. Also, I had debilitating neck problems for a couple years, and there was much less contortion and pain involved when I used a handled comb. YMMV, of course.

dwell_in_safety
March 18th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Both my combs have one without. I've never really used one with a handle, outside a verawood comb that I used for about two weeks before it started to develop tiny cracks that'd catch individual hairs... I like the amount of control not having a handle gives me.

TheLuckyLurker
March 18th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I don't have any wooden combs, but the plastic ones I have all have handles. I prefer handles; it's easier for me to hold them that way. As for what youshould get, I'd say that depends on your own preference.

Sharysa
March 18th, 2013, 10:11 PM
I prefer combs with handles, if I use them at all. (Aside from post-shower oiling, I finger-comb only.) Handle-less combs are really pretty, but they tend to get tangled in my hair. With handled combs or using my fingers, it's much less problematic.

Seeshami
March 18th, 2013, 10:21 PM
All of my combs are with out but all my brushes are with. The TT doesn't count as either because as far as anyone besides myself knows it is a torture device I chase them with. Yes, I chase Muffin and my cats with my TT and brush them.:rollin:

Natalia
March 18th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Without for me, easier on my joints that a thin handle.

ravenreed
March 19th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Without. Even if a comb has a handle, I still grab in the middle over the tines.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 19th, 2013, 12:19 AM
I always thought I would prefer a comb with a handle but my Body Shop wooden comb doesn't have one and I find it does seem to make me extra sensitive to/careful around tangles so I an surprised and pleased that a comb with no handle should work this well. All my other combs have handles, so this is my first experience of a non handled comb. I am impressed.

Pierre
March 19th, 2013, 01:27 AM
My combs have handles. I get tough tangles at the back of my head, and it would be hard for me to detangle them without a handle.

UP Lisa
March 19th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Wow. Now I'm really confused. I guess most of the combs I've had in my life didn't have handles. My biggest problem with any comb is that they seem to break my hair horribly. Just thought I'd try a wooden one to see if it was any better.

Kaelee
March 19th, 2013, 09:20 AM
I prefer with, but maybe that's because it's what I'm used to. I also prefer the look of the ones with the handle.